Newbie Looking For Advice Please

Guest greentangerine

Guest greentangerine

So as it say's in the title I'm new to the site, been sitting back and reading all the in fighting and the crazy sums of cash that seem to be changing hands. Basically I am big Northern fan and have been for years, mainly on mp3 due to my age. but last year started collecting vinyl with a few of getting a jukebox (since decided to spend in on the records). So I have done the whole buying crap of ebay that jumps, buying re-issues and then I found Manships and my limit for a piece of plastic in lifting weekly, had one for £100 in the basket and bottled it, so £50 has been my most expensive so far.

So really just after some advice, I am only really buying stuff I want to play on a friday night and dance around too... I don't DJ, just love the tunes!! So buying tips and advice, storage, basically stop me making all them mistakes and get me on the right track.

Ohh and can someone tell me, how the hell have you guys amassed such collections financially, I am already binning the Manship invoices.

What are your views on buying from boot sales? went this morning and got an Ojay's Love train (not northern I know) on blue vinyl for 40p, looks good at least!!!

Look forward to some good advice!!!

Matt :g:

Edited by greentangerine
Social source share

• Replies 29
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

1.) Only buy what you like, not what other people are chasing.

2.) Try and buy records at bargain prices, if it seems too expensive, pass on it and wait till another comes along - a lot of £50 - £100 records are common, so they will turn up eventually

3.) Don't try and get everything all at once, and accept the fact that there are records out there that you will never own.

Social source share

So as it say's in the title I'm new to the site, been sitting back and reading all the in fighting and the crazy sums of cash that seem to be changing hands. Basically I am big Northern fan and have been for years, mainly on mp3 due to my age. but last year started collecting vinyl with a few of getting a jukebox (since decided to spend in on the records). So I have done the whole buying crap of ebay that jumps, buying re-issues and then I found Manships and my limit for a piece of plastic in lifting weekly, had one for £100 in the basket and bottled it, so £50 has been my most expensive so far.

So really just after some advice, I am only really buying stuff I want to play on a friday night and dance around too... I don't DJ, just love the tunes!! So buying tips and advice, storage, basically stop me making all them mistakes and get me on the right track.

Ohh and can someone tell me, how the hell have you guys amassed such collections financially, I am already binning the Manship invoices.

Matt :g:

God i've been where you are my friend (though ableit a little mouthier :wave:)

Was a time when I thought £20 was a fortune for a record...in fact...when I joined this site the most expensive record I had was a Funkadelic album that was £30...now I have records that start at £20 going up to £300! Still peanuts to some but you get my drift...

There are so many knowledgable friendly people on here that will give advice...send you cds and help you find your niche...good luck...you will find so many good records you will never turn back

Beeks

Edited by Beeks
Social source share

What are your views on buying from boot sales? went this morning and got an Ojay's Love train (not northern I know) on blue vinyl for 40p, looks good at least!!!

Matt whistling

my advice is that if you're just starting out, 50 and 100 pounds is WAY to much to be spending on records, there are plenty of good tracks to be buying for $5 and $10, you can get good stuff on ebay or at local record shops, etc. and should exhaust that route before forking out a premium at major dealers sites. especially if you're looking for stuff to play at home in a jukebox and not top items to dj out with. i bought every 50 cent record i could buy before i started spending $1 for a record and only bought every $1 record before I would spend $5 for a record, etc.

Social source share

Guest greentangerine

Interesting thoughts... I guess my main reasons for buying expensive records is I do like alot of the rarer mainstream northern tunes, the one I bought for £50 was Clifford Curry, I Carn't get a hold of myself on Pama. But I recently have been looking at Sam Dee's saw that for £400+, and Dee Clark that's my girl for £100. I was kind of thinking that I needed to buy collectable records in good condition for it not to be a waste of money. I did go to a car boot and buy 7 45's for £3 yesterday, one I binned but 6 play great, but are more what I would call background tune, mainstream mowtown that I like but the don't do it for me....

I guess I am just worried about making bad choices, buying rubish, bootlegs and the like. At least with manships you know what your getting, and I am buying them on the original label.

Social source share

Interesting thoughts... I guess my main reasons for buying expensive records is I do like alot of the rarer mainstream northern tunes, the one I bought for £50 was Clifford Curry, I Carn't get a hold of myself on Pama. But I recently have been looking at Sam Dee's saw that for £400+, and Dee Clark that's my girl for £100. I was kind of thinking that I needed to buy collectable records in good condition for it not to be a waste of money. I did go to a car boot and buy 7 45's for £3 yesterday, one I binned but 6 play great, but are more what I would call background tune, mainstream mowtown that I like but the don't do it for me....

I guess I am just worried about making bad choices, buying rubish, bootlegs and the like. At least with manships you know what your getting, and I am buying them on the original label.

It depends what you are looking for. If you want a little row of records you can boast to your friends that are worth XXX, then you fork out every now and then but you will not get real enjoyment out of it after a while.

If you are genuinely passionate about Soul music, listen to what the other guy just told you, because he is making absolute sense.

There are literally hundreds and hundreds of GREAT Soul records that you can pick up between 10 and 30 pounds. Northern, midtempto, 60s and 70s etc.

Remember always that it is rarity of a record - certainly not always CREATIVE QUALITY - that dictates a high price. Many Soul masterpices can be picked up within the price range above and many MEDIOCRE soul records can fetch 3 figures, simply because they are scarce on the ground.

Concentrate on building the foundations of a collection like that for a couple of years. You'll find yourself with a few hundred great records that are re-salable but also which increase your knowledge and understanding of the music. Every now and then, one or two of them will become 'in demand' tunes again and you'll have the pleasure of noticing their prices rise on lists, but the money should always be of secondary interest if you want to maximise your enjoyment. Listen to the B sides whenever you buy a record and you'll find other tunes which take your fancy too. When you've built a couple of shelves, start to look for a few more pricier items, but only spend out on records that you genuinely love, don't be fooled by the attraction of owning something expensive, the majority of serious Soul fans only buy records they like, not records which are expensive. By following this recipe, you'll build your own genuine 'collection' of records that you love, with some nice 'marquee' pieces to top it off.

Never neglect junk shops, boot sales, charity shops etc, etc. Its simply a matter of odds. The more times you go 'junking' for records, the more times you are likely to find something nice. Dont expect to pick up massively rare tunes, it does not happen very often anymore but it's still a good way of fleshing out your collection. Also, many of what you refer to as 'mainstream' Motown sides carry cracking B-sides which you are probably not aware of and this alone makes it worthwhile. There is certainly nothing wrong with building up a nice little TMG UK Section in your collection and the cheaper you can get them for, the better, not vice versa!!

Good luck.:thumbup:

Edited by chorleysoul
Social source share

Guest greentangerine

There are only 2 rules I reckon. Stick with them and you won't go wrong.

1. Buy what you like.

2. Buy originals.

When you say buy originals, do you mean, first release, or just not reissues.. what about uk V's US.

For example last week on the radio heard this and thought should get that not heard it for a while, so looked "Try A Little Tenderness Otis Redding" so I would need it on Volt, looked on Manships and it's £15. I didn't buy as figured surely that is few quid record, so put in on the list to look for. Is that right.... surely that is the kind of tune that will be on ebay and boot sales.

Also whats the done thing in terms of covers, carn't belive Manship doesn't give you a cover when you buy the vinyl. Do you try to get original covers or not bother!! I must admit been in design, I do like the covers and logo's etc...

Whats the best way to keep your vinyl, I was looking online and almost expected someone to be selling an mdf wall mounted shelf like you see in a shop with compartments so you can flick from front to back.

cheers for advice, might seem obvious to you but very helpfull to me.

Social source share

Guest greentangerine

Avoid Ian Dewhurst innocent.gif

That thread has caused me much amusement, I take it these guys are old enough to know better!! Who is this Tim Brown hermit guy anyway!!! Not sure I will ever understand all the big money dealings.

Social source share

Have to say I usually avoid these threads as I am a cynical old fool and can't help thinking they are a wind up :D

That said, I keep my records in record boxes, I only buy originals, I only buy US records (as a rule) and I don't bother with original covers.

But that's just me.

Record collecting is a minefield, even to the most seasoned collector.

So proceed with caution and don't be afraid to ask for advice on here.

We are a helpful bunch and for all our noise are always more than happy to help thumbup.gif

Social source share

1. Buy what you like.

2. Buy originals.

also invest in manships price guide as most of the rellevent info is in there, but only pay between half and two thirds of the prices quoted thumbsup.gif .

BRI PINCH.

Social source share

1.) Only buy what you like, not what other people are chasing.

2.) Try and buy records at bargain prices, if it seems too expensive, pass on it and wait till another comes along - a lot of £50 - £100 records are common, so they will turn up eventually

3.) Don't try and get everything all at once, and accept the fact that there are records out there that you will never own.

100% agree - I would say steer clear of Mr Manship's prices as they're pretty steep in my eyes - try and buy at allnighters coz you can see what you're buying (can often play them) and usually get better prices - and you can get advice on whether they're boots or the real thing, you'll also get recommendations from other collectors - whilst as Joan said ALWAYS buy what YOU like - when people know your tatstes they'll push you in the direction of stuff that may interest you.

A well formed collection is like a pyramid (sounds like the cue for a song) - A LOT of cheaper stuff (the average value of my all time favs is still only about £20-30) with a pinnacle formed by expensive stuff you just HAD to own - a collection that are merely a list of 'fancy records I want to own to impress my mates' is not a SOUL (records that after all should touch YOUR soul - sod anyone else) collection at all and rightly draws ridicule from those who collect from genuine deep love of the music.

Dave

AS a PS to JJ's point 2 - decide what a record is worth to you - DON'T go over that even if it means you can't own a copy - though you'll be amazed what comes along over the years cheap if you keep searching and checking every sales box you see (specially the little 50 boxes from guys who ain't been around for ages - I'm amazed how many records I've owned for years and consider £10-20 sounds are now over the ton - without having checked if I had them in my box for sale I'd be pricing them at £20).

Edited by DaveNPete
Social source share

I would say steer clear of Mr Manship's prices as they're pretty steep in my eyes

I disagree. I think they are extremely useful things to have.

They at least give you an idea of the price of a tune. ie: whether they are a complete no no from the off.

And if you read Bri's post properly, he did say not to pay the prices given in them.

collections that are merely a list of 'fancy records I want to own to impress my mates' is not a collection at all and rightly draws ridicule from those who collect from genuine deep love of the music.

At the risk of being called a soul snob - I totally agree!

Social source share

some dealers will be great others just make the prices up as they go along

dont believe everything dealers tell you , check on here etc as the amount of shite i bought pre internet after being told it was a big 45 great dancer etc or at a bargin price still sits in a box now

dont buy records blind unless they are very cheap or you want some frisbies

Social source share

Guest greentangerine

some dealers will be great others just make the prices up as they go along

dont believe everything dealers tell you , check on here etc as the amount of shite i bought pre internet after being told it was a big 45 great dancer etc or at a bargin price still sits in a box now

dont buy records blind unless they are very cheap or you want some frisbies

As a mentioned to start with, I have a pretty large mp3 collection so up to now haven't bought anything I don't like or haven't heard. But having said that in looking for vinyl and also youtube and searching DJ favourite lists. I have to say I have found more tunes I love in the last 6 months than I have in the last 6 years.

I imagine there are both pro's and cons to collecting in the digital age. I personally wish there were record shops around, kind of missed all that.

I find the shit works better a coasters or wall decoration!!!

Social source share

Guest markus gora

Matt :)

buy what you like seems to be the best advice...

Social source share

1. Buy what you like.

2. Buy originals.

Yeah, but as somebody has already pointed out, its easy for somebody like this to go banging out hundreds of quid for a record only to find it was available somewhere else for half the price!

Social source share

Guest greentangerine

Yeah, but as somebody has already pointed out, its easy for somebody like this to go banging out hundreds of quid for a record only to find it was available somewhere else for half the price!

That is my issue, while I am not spending 5k on single items like guy's in other threads I am spending consistantly a few hundred a month at the moment, so really just looking to maximise it's effect rather than save money. Been looking at some US ebay posts and seen something I was after currently way under the Manship price. Bottom line is I need to do alot more work before a purchase and save on every deal.

Social source share

Guest greentangerine

Is buying from people with a collection they no longer have an interest in normally a good idea. It obviously doesn't allow me to shape the collection, but may well introduce me to alot of new material. How would you normally value it, Manships guide then knock a percentage off.

Social source share

Guest SoulRenaissance

Is buying from people with a collection they no longer have an interest in normally a good idea. It obviously doesn't allow me to shape the collection, but may well introduce me to alot of new material. How would you normally value it, Manships guide then knock a percentage off.

It's a case of trial and error. But some of the advice on here is wise indeed, and well heeded. I wish i'd had a lot more of it when i started buying again. I must have worked my way through nearly all of the major dealers, along with lots and lots of the guys with the small boxes at venues. Very few of the major dealers can be trusted for genuine advice on records, but your proper collectors can be.

Also get hold of as many tunes as you can on MP3, CD, or tapes. They are an invaluable source of information, and can increase your knowledge manyfold. And of course put you onto loads of great tunes.

Martyn

Social source share

That thread has caused me much amusement, I take it these guys are old enough to know better!! Who is this Tim Brown hermit guy anyway!!! Not sure I will ever understand all the big money dealings.

You're not kidding anyone with this false ID Tim. Not using Ian as conveyor anymore? :D

:D

Social source share

It's a case of trial and error. But some of the advice on here is wise indeed, and well heeded. I wish i'd had a lot more of it when i started buying again. I must have worked my way through nearly all of the major dealers, along with lots and lots of the guys with the small boxes at venues. Very few of the major dealers can be trusted for genuine advice on records, but your proper collectors can be.

Also get hold of as many tunes as you can on MP3, CD, or tapes. They are an invaluable source of information, and can increase your knowledge manyfold. And of course put you onto loads of great tunes.

Martyn

Yes wise advice.

I was told to "buy only those 45s that spin through the air but leave no mark when they hit the earth, Grasshopper"

Last time I asked David Carradine anything.

ROD

Social source share

Guest greentangerine

I'm currently looking at a couple of items on Soul Shack USA, prices looking good compared to here. Any bad experiences of them as a dealer.

Social source share

Buy CDs

You get more tunes for your money

You can play them in the car

They weigh less

Its easier to get the tunes on to your ipod

If they break or refuse to play you have some chance of getting another

Records will be worthless in 10 years time

innocent.gif

Social source share

Guest greentangerine

I have loads of cd's in a cupboard, don't need anymore!!! and I have a 6234 songs on my ipod. But it's to easy to miss songs, you don't listen you skip. Sitting with a glass of wine picking each record enjoying it and then doing it again is just completely different. If it wasn't why would anyone bother wasting so much time and money, you'd just turn up to a soul night with a playlist press play and go dance.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert