Silent But Soulful - Is It Ok?

I remember reading an article a few years ago about the group Belle and Sebastian,who are into NS,They said that they loved going to Northern soul nights because apart from the music it was the only time they had ever heard a Dj talk and introduce records apart from the radio,

On a personal point If it's worth hearing it's worth a few words to talk about,label, producer singer etc.

Grant

Social source share

• Replies 142
  • Views 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

ame='paup-ine' date='27 August 2009 - 09:27 PM' timestamp='1251401238' post='1139348']

I personally think that nobody should be allowed to go on to the stage when someone is djing......and thats my opinion only...Andy.

Why????

Curious...

Jayne.x.

Social source share

A lot people that ventured onto the stage to request records years ago were shirtless types, invariably 'smashed' that often became a pain in the arse for the jocks.

Sometimes it could be amusing to watch. Then there was the security question. If I'd been a DJ back then, I don't think I'd have been happy with so many pilled up and

shirtless youths lurking around my hot box. I guess it's different today. Maturity brings responsibility... sometimes. :-)

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Coming up to the decks is not a problem.

It's when people hang around behind you that I don't like.

It's ok if you know them. It's when you don't that I get a little nervous.

Didn't Ian Cunliffe and someone else have records stolen out of their boxes while they were DJing?

i don't like people behind me at all , very untrusting ...also i had a camera stolen from behind me whilst deejaying , and not a cheap one either - a fuji DSLR

Social source share

Coming up to the decks is not a problem.

It's when people hang around behind you that I don't like.

It's ok if you know them. It's when you don't that I get a little nervous.

Didn't Ian Cunliffe and someone else have records stolen out of their boxes while they were DJing?

Social source share

At the very last Marrs bar i had some pissed up blonde up on the stage asking for Bob Marley she was swaying back and forth when George Pepp was on the turn table quite scary really

can remember watchin that....!!

djs talkin ? for me yeah so long as it doesnt interupt the flow.....but not essential

requests on stage...again yeah so long as they be careful dont jog the needle and accept 'sorry avnt got it in the box' if i havnt....had piss eads still saying go on play the snake and wont accept the fact i aint got it with me...

Social source share

Guest kid mohair

Why????

Curious...

Jayne.x.

Hi Jayne, far to many incidents that happen which can be avoided by people keeping away from the decks, i just think thats its the dj's space thats all, many will disagree but hey ho. Andy.

Edited by kid mohair
Social source share

Wow, you guys go to some f---ked up venueslaugh.gif If someone asks me about a tune, i hand the 45 to them when ive finished, so they can see. I guess im not the precious type and like to share. Never had a problem yet doing that...yes.gif

Try it in Mansfield Paul,you might not get it backbiggrin.gif

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Dave Turner

I remember reading an article a few years ago about the group Belle and Sebastian,who are into NS,They said that they loved going to Northern soul nights because apart from the music it was the only time they had ever heard a Dj talk and introduce records apart from the radio,

On a personal point If it's worth hearing it's worth a few words to talk about,label, producer singer etc.

Grant

Personally I like to hear a few words between tracks ie artist, title and even label and what city its out of ie New Orleans or whatever. I find it informative and educating.

Also I love some banter and nabbed this from another thread but this is right up my street. Many years gone now unfortunately but atmosphere inducing brilliance that added up to what I was looking for ie EXCITEMENT

Sends a shiver up me spine thumbup.gif

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

laugh.gif

Personally I like to hear a few words between tracks ie artist, title and even label and what city its out of ie New Orleans or whatever. I find it informative and educating.

Also I love some banter and nabbed this from another thread but this is right up my street. Many years gone now unfortunately but atmosphere inducing brilliance that added up to what I was looking for ie EXCITEMENT

Sends a shiver up me spine thumbup.gif

Wow, you must go to better events than me. The ones i seem to end up at, you cant hear the lyrics on the record, never mind the dj!ohmy.giflaugh.gif

Social source share

I hate this too.

Maybe talking on the mic takes it out of them :lol:

I dont have time to talk...I'm too busy choosing, cueing, singing, dancing and on the odd occasion playing the intruments too.laugh.gif

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

don't matter wether they speak or not if they're good,but in 38 years of doing this........my mtto is if ya can't ever hear or understand what they're saying (the dj)........then it's probably a kicking good night lolthumbup.gif

Social source share

Persoanally love to hear the gabbling into the mic even if you cant understand every single word , it all adds to the excitement and enthusiasm, as long as the d,j dosent gabble all through the record just at the begining and end, i always used the mic when on the occasions i d,jd.,.. Just trying to imagine what it would have been like at Wigan, without the mic , No Searling, Evison and Winstantly etc oh! well, you get my drift, its all about the personalities coming across and afraid without the mic its lacking, just been listening to some old niter tapes, and without the speil they just wouldnt be the same, just my opinion.

Edited by big chris
Social source share

Quite right, ireally think it's unproffesional not using the mike - anybody can play a hours set one after another.infact our lass knows bugger all about the music but pointed out to me at a venue when some one played without speaking " i could have done that " . of course each to their own but it's certainly compulsary at lifeline regardless of the profile of the dj....

Have to agree with andy there !!, my Mrs has said the same as a few venues that she could do that for an hour !!!

I DJ at the Butlins Soul/Motown weekenders for Dave Raistrick and we have to use the mic after almost every record, by order of the management !!! in fact i had a bollocking of Dave for playing 3 in a row without using it when the manager was in the room whistling during an afternoon session too !!

I like to use the mic as often as possible but do try and keep it short n sweet :good:

I did comment on here about 18 months ago about a mate of mine who is a collector only but decided to do a bit of djing,(i have used him numerous times as a warm up jock with no problems) he will not use the mic but got himself a decent spot at a good night, the promoter did ask me what he was like as a DJ and i told him my opinion on the mic bit (he also will not cue up his mint records) so he ended up getting an early spot and has since never spoken to me again and has recently given me death threats :laugh: how sad :shhh:

Ian.

Social source share

Is it me or is it getting like groundhog day on here? :laugh:

That said, I can't resist :D

I for one couldn't care less whether a DJ talks or not. In fact a lot of the time I wish they'd shut the fcuk up!

DJ stands for Disc Jockey doesn't it?

Not talk as much as you can, as incoherently as you can Jockey.

Granted, done well it can be good. But no amount of well delivered flannel is going to make bad records sound good.

Like I said, I don't care either way. It's the music I go out for thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Is it me or is it getting like groundhog day on here? :laugh:

That said, I can't resist :D

I for one couldn't care less whether a DJ talks or not. In fact a lot of the time I wish they'd shut the fcuk up!

DJ stands for Disc Jockey doesn't it?

Not talk as much as you can, as incoherently as you can Jockey.

Granted, done well it can be good. But no amount of well delivered flannel is going to make bad records sound good.

Like I said, I don't care either way. It's the music I go out for thumbsup.gif

Well said!! Good records are good records....I often don't listen to a dj rambling, I'm just waiting to the intro to next tune. That said, at 100 club anniversary it made sense to talk a bit but the boys down there don't ramble, just a little intro and bam, next record. Soul Revolution at Chelmsford the mic is used well by Trouble and the crew.

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

A DJ should be seen and heard !

Agreed.

Otherwise they may as well have a long stacking spindle, load 10 records up and go and prop the bar up for 20 minutes, nip outside for a fag and manage to have a piss before loading up again. swoon.gif

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Good job they don't give you a mic as nobody has a clue what the f**k you on about most of the time mate...laugh.gif

hey, no need for that Mr wanna belaugh.gif ......who are ya anyway?????? T

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Probably the same way you learn new records when you can't understand a word the DJ says smile.gif

Yeh ain't that the truth........how many times have ya stood there and said to some one "what did he say that was" and the answers always the same......f**k knowslaugh.giflaugh.gif

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Just re read your post and what a complete and utter load of tosh!

Are you for real?

It was meant lightheartedly but obviously you couldn't see that.

Just my personal choice that I prefer some DJ chat and yes I'd rather someone be bad on a mic than not use it at all, but like I say thats my choice.

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Tezza your a natural for No10:wicked: Rubber stamped by Joan and Kitchthumbsup.gif See yer on he Hustings, :wink: use of the mics,summat from the early days of Radio and been used ever since, so therefore its expected of Djs in Pubs ,Clubs etc. Personally i dont give a flying fook, cos as Tezza sez,who gives a dam, when its banging:wink: And on the Oldies scene, nowts changed in 30 odd years, so why waste yer breath:wicked:

PS Joan it wont affect the quality of your spot Sat Nite

Edited by BigPaul
Social source share

It was meant lightheartedly but obviously you couldn't see that.

Just my personal choice that I prefer some DJ chat and yes I'd rather someone be bad on a mic than not use it at all, but like I say thats my choice.

totally agree with you mate, otherwise we might as well go to the local boozer with a good N.Soul dukie and listen to that instead :unsure:

Social source share

Tezza your a natural for No10wicked.gif Rubber stamped by Joan and Kitchthumbsup.gif See yer on he Hustings, wink.gif

use of the mics,summat from the early days of Radio and been used ever since, so therefore its expected of Djs in Pubs ,Clubs etc. Personally i dont give a flying fook, cos as Tezza sez,who gives a dam, when its bangingwink.gif

And on the Oldies scene, nowts changed in 30 odd years, so why waste yer breathwicked.gif

Joan it wont affect the quality of your spot Sat Nite:thumbsup: Looking forward to it

There you go Paul, all nicely formatted.

When darcyboy is Prime Minister, I want you in as Parliamentalist Under Secretary of State for Dance (and the East Midlands).

Did you know there was a Minister for the East Midlands? Do you know how they select the best person for that post?

You know how when they picked the football teams back at school. each captain taking it in turn, and there was the pasty lad with a limp and NHS glasses with a plaster on that nobody wanted but they had to have him on the team because he was the last one left?

Like that.

Edited by spirit
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

You know how when they picked the football teams back at school. each captain taking it in turn, and there was the pasty lad with a limp and NHS glasses with a plaster on that nobody wanted but they had to have him on the team because he was the last one left?

Yeah I know full well, I was it laugh.gif

Social source share

Guest stevejan

A lot people that ventured onto the stage to request records years ago were shirtless types, invariably 'smashed' that often became a pain in the arse for the jocks.

Sometimes it could be amusing to watch. Then there was the security question. If I'd been a DJ back then, I don't think I'd have been happy with so many pilled up and

shirtless youths lurking around my hot box. I guess it's different today. Maturity brings responsibility... sometimes. :-)

Pissed up lasses -go on play that 'Pebbles on a beach'...you know it goes...da da da da da . But I played it 10 minutes ago for your friend. I was in the bogs/havin a fag ..play it again

Sound familiar fellow Dj's?....LOL

Social source share

Yeah I know full well, I was it :thumbup:

:lol:

While we are reminiscing, off topic, but any excuse...

https://www.youtube.c...h?v=3U3UJnW5090

er...Good on t'Mic is better than Silent is better than Slack Work on t'Mic whistling.gif

Edited by spirit
Social source share

What erks me the most is DJs who seem to love the sound of their own voice more than the music they are playing.

I dont mnd the odd injection of humour or something interesting but in the main let the music do the talking.

Having said that I often do my Frankie Howard impersonation "Ladies and Gentlemen" betwen discs and like nothing better than to make up names of the artists just to see if anyones listening

BUT I avoid this urge most of the time because I love the art of cueing the next record into the last with seamless ease,

cant do it, but I loev it....:sleep3:

Social source share

There you go Paul, all nicely formatted.

When darcyboy is Prime Minister, I want you in as Parliamentalist Under Secretary of State for Dance (and the East Midlands).

Did you know there was a Minister for the East Midlands? Do you know how they select the best person for that post?

Like that.

Thank you. young manthumbsup.gif

I was the one that stood on the pasty kids glasses, so he had to have Band Aid Plasters to hold em together:boxing:

Fookn freeloader:angry:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert