Silent But Soulful - Is It Ok?

I've been out twice this weekend to different places and listened to two & a bit sets by three different dj's - about 2hrs 20 mins - where the "dj's" didn't use the mic. It's not the first time I've come across this phenomema, but three times in one weekend ....is it a growing trend? and is it ok?

I don't think it is Kev. It's good soul music being played afterall and that's something worth shouting about. To say nowt the whole way through a set is a bit cold imvho.

I introduce every other one. Be amusing (if poss) brief and to the point. Never say "less ave yer" ! :lol:

"Thanks to Dave for the last hour, you got me for the next and er, as usual, a few oldies a few new stuff and of course for those who whunnit, a few modern sounds" ... "Kicking off with this one, Rufus Lumley and I'm standing".

Danny Everard - The Fleet c.1985

Social source share

• Replies 142
  • Views 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Very interesting thread. I think it's a key part of the UK scene's heritage, as are the 'quaint' sound systems still to be found in some parts.

I do like to hear 'understable' people like Mick Smith and Soul Sam do their stuff though. Plus, if you listen to those old recordings of Wigan, Cleethorpes etc,

they would be inconceivable without the likes of Richard Searling cueing up sounds with comments like 'here's one that may well prove to define the era'.

Comments like that would stop you in your tracks. You'd suddenly forget the very profound chat you were having with someone's ear and look towards the stage.

We've all been there, haven't we? :-)

However, going to events here in Spain I don't expect it and I can't say I miss it either.

I also get the impression that people think it's idiosyncratic of UK jocks, part of the package, mildly exotic even.

Edited by macca
Social source share

Very interesting thread. I think it's a key part of the UK scene's heritage, as are the 'quaint' sound systems still to be found in some parts.

I do like to hear 'understable' people like Mick Smith and Soul Sam do their stuff though. Plus, if you listen to those old recordings of Wigan, Cleethorpes etc,

they would be inconceivable without the likes of Richard Searling cueing up sounds with comments like 'here's one that may well prove to define the era'.

Comments like that would stop you in your tracks. You'd suddenly forget the very profound chat you were having with someone's ear and look towards the stage.

We've all been there, haven't we? :-)

However, going to events here in Spain I don't expect it and I can't say I miss it either.

I also get the impression that people think it's idiosyncratic of UK jocks, part of the package, mildly exotic even.

Hi, Macca,

I also like what Soul Sam does, as most of the times it's got a "didactical" twist on it (not surprisingly :lol: ) But -and maybe it's my own personal experience- most of the times i've never had the pleasure to hear groundbreaking comments such as Searling's, most of the times it's been more of the "xryjtkszjjj COME OOOOOOON!!!" variety... :yes:

As Macca rightly points out, it's also a cultural thing: here the mike is something you use for a special occasion; the constant use of it it's, as i said before, quite bingo-related :D To sum it up, i think the mike can be an useful tool while djing, if used in an elegant, informative and (most importantly) non intrusive/aggressive way. But equalling the use of it to any other important aspects of djing (say equalizing, selecting and crowd reading skills) is not on...

Best!

Edu

Social source share

Is it me or is it getting like groundhog day on here? laugh.gif

That said, I can't resist biggrin.gif

I for one couldn't care less whether a DJ talks or not. In fact a lot of the time I wish they'd shut the fcuk up!

DJ stands for Disc Jockey doesn't it?

Not talk as much as you can, as incoherently as you can Jockey.

Granted, done well it can be good. But no amount of well delivered flannel is going to make bad records sound good.

Like I said, I don't care either way. It's the music I go out for thumbsup.gif

Well said, I think

Dave

Social source share

Quite right, ireally think it's unproffesional not using the mike - anybody can play a hours set one after another.infact our lass knows bugger all about the music but pointed out to me at a venue when some one played without speaking " i could have done that " . of course each to their own but it's certainly compulsary at lifeline regardless of the profile of the dj....

Ha ha.. we don't tell our DJ's what to play but we tell them they have to talk.

Love it :rolleyes:

Social source share

Ha ha.. we don't tell our DJ's what to play but we tell them they have to talk.

Love it :thumbsup:

Correct we don't tell our dj's what to play,wrong we don't tell them they have to talk,it just so happens that there's at least 3 dj's who are residents at lifeline that are in the top 10 on the planet and have been for a while all who use the mike to a high standard not like bingo callers or such like but to educate and inform and most of the time the mike use gets positive feedback from the crowd.According to previous posts use of the mike is due to the dj's inability to keep a set flowing and used to break in different tempos nah ,actually none use of mike is a real weakness in a dj regardless of what records he plays.look back over the years and count how many of the best dj's didn't use the mike...

not sure what the ha ha comment meant but all this is my opinion of course ,maybe if arthur fenn ,dave thorley or any other current dj's would maybe comment of course in a light hearted manner ...

Social source share

not sure what the ha ha comment meant

Ha ha... was exactly that... ha ha. As in it made me chuckle.

I thought it funny that you said it was a pre requisite that your DJ's talk. For no other reason than I think the music is more important.

There was nothing more to it than that. So you can stand down Mr. Dyson.

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

I personally love to hear a dj give it some on the mic and being a southerner i dont understand much of what is said as most djs seem to be northerners nowadays but i try to lip read from 20 yeards away in a dark venue with someone waffling down my ear "what the fook did that dj just say" i then always reply "fooked if i know" laugh.gif

anyway i have seen a couple of djs put amazing sets together without using the mic so its swings and rounabouts as they say,

nothing better than hearing a tune you dont know and instead of having to dent your pride and ask someone what the tune is cos you should be expected to know everything rolleyes.gif the dj then says the title loud and clear and in the memory bank it goes BUT then again i do like to go up and talk to the dj when a certain tune is played that blows me away and get as much info about the tune as i can and also take a bloody good look at the tune too shades.gif

djs and the music we love go hand in hand and for me i do prefer a dj to put their heart and personality in thier set and for me that does include good usage of the mic but sometimes their is the odd exception good.gif

im not too keen on djs that just stand their arms folded and looking bored shitless when they are playing the tunes they own and supposedly love sleep3.gif

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Most DJs are boring, anyway. Don't matter if they use the mic or not.

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Using the mic when DJing is part of this scene's culture, and IMO when used well a DJ can add to the atmosphere of the room, and I think it really helps when playing something fresh (or fresh to most) to encourage and inform. Although there's been times when the DJ just rambles on, and inside I'm screaming ffs just put the needle on the record excl.gif ..... and then there's the DJs that say no more than "this is", and "that was", fine occasionally but not on every record.........it's just dull.sleep3.gif

On the whole I'm definitely on the side of use the mic if you're DJing........it's what DJs do. yes.gif

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

That's not what you said a minute ago James :lol:

Yes your'e right. I used the word turd. So many turds flout to the top. There are certainly quite a few bores as well, that's true, no doubt about it.

Generally speaking, I think it's fair to say that most DJs should shut up some and play better records in a righter (I know, that's not a word) order.

I don't think I'm wrong.

I do miss Keb shouting at the crowd though, saying "you're all lazy fuckers!". That was good.

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Yes your'e right. I used the word turd. So many turds flout to the top. There are certainly quite a few bores as well, that's true, no doubt about it.

Generally speaking, I think it's fair to say that most DJs should shut up some and play better records in a righter (I know, that's not a word) order.

I don't think I'm wrong.

I do miss Keb shouting at the crowd though, saying "you're all lazy fuckers!". That was good.

No, it wasn't :lol:

Social source share

Using the mic when DJing is part of this scene's culture, and IMO when used well a DJ can add to the atmosphere of the room, and I think it really helps when playing something fresh (or fresh to most) to encourage and inform. Although there's been times when the DJ just rambles on, and inside I'm screaming ffs just put the needle on the record excl.gif ..... and then there's the DJs that say no more than "this is", and "that was", fine occasionally but not on every record.........it's just dull.sleep3.gif

On the whole I'm definitely on the side of use the mic if you're DJing........it's what DJs do. yes.gif

Hi, Cliff,

We'll have a mic ready for you for September then... :lol: :lol:

Best!

Edu

Social source share

1) Take a list of DJs available for your event.

They all have the same records.

Who are you going to choose.?

2) Search out your old Wigan or whatever tapes.

Which ones sound the most interesting? Djs talking or just the records playing?

Psmile.gif

1) The ones that put them in the right order, i guess :lol:

2) Dj's talking -not too much, though- when introducing good records

Edited by tykarim
Social source share

If the dj is playing good tunes and using the mike sparingly then I'm fine with that. To be quite honest I don't give a toss if he's playing vinyl, cd's or even tapes as long as he's playing good music. I'm past caring about all that shit.

And covering records up is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

Social source share

To be quite honest I don't give a toss if he's playing vinyl, cd's or even tapes as long as he's playing good music. I'm past caring about all that shit.

And covering records up is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

No offence AlbertRoss, but now I know it's Groundhog Day :lol:

Social source share

AS SOME ONE DJ,S OCCASIONALLY,,I PREFER NOT TO SPEAK, UNLESS ITS NECESSARY, I,M NOT AFRAID OF THE MIKE, AT SLEEPLESS NITES, I DID USE THE MIKE QUITE A LOT, BUT I ALWAYS THINK MY VOICE IS ORRIBLE OVER THE SYSTEM, AND SOUNDS VERY HIGH PITCHED, WHICH WOULD SPOIL THE SET, BUT I ALWAYS LIKE TO THANK PEEPS ECT IF I HAVE TIME, COS SOMETIMES, THE MEXT PERSON AFTER YOU, HAS ALREADY GOT THE NEEDLE ON BEFOR YA FINISHED :lol: BUT ONE THING I CANT STAND IS A DJ, THATS WAFFLES ON AND ON,,COS I,M THINKING FOR FOOKS SAKE GET ON WITH THE TUNE, AND THERE ARE SOME PEOPLE THAT MUMBLE, AND YOU CANT UNDERSTAND WHAT THEY ARE SAYING ANYWAYS, SO ALL IN ALL ITS A PERSONAL THING AND LIKE I ALWAYS SAY, LET YOUR RECORDS DO THE TALKING FOR YA!!!! :lol:

Social source share

1) Take a list of DJs available for your event.

They all have the same records.

Who are you going to choose.?

2) Search out your old Wigan or whatever tapes.

Which ones sound the most interesting? Djs talking or just the records playing?

Psmile.gif

Would choose dj's with a semblence of originality, so the same record scenario would not occur. Then hey presto, no problem!!yes.gif

Social source share

I dont like djs who 1min before the end of a record end it dead and start waffling on about back in the day how fookin' good it was,and where it was played and by who......myself have about 3 reguler shouts,first time here for this,why arnt you dancing,thank you and goodnight. :lol:

Social source share

I dont like djs who 1min before the end of a record end it dead and start waffling on about back in the day how fookin' good it was,and where it was played and by who......myself have about 3 reguler shouts,first time here for this,why arnt you dancing,thank you and goodnight. :lol:

Brilliant :lol:

Social source share

Sure there are better things to do than to do fold your arms and stare to the space...like finding a good follow up to what you're playing, for instance! That may be another subject, but i've never understood people that know the exact order of what they're going to play BEFORE their sets; must be the one of most boring and souless things ever! :sleep3:

Best!

Edu

Good point!... and a good question - why do people do that?? I know you would pre-plan perhaps if you've a new spin and want to try it & think it'll go down well somewhere

but to plan your entire spot before you arrive & see the crowd, see what folks want & what suits the room bugs me more than whether a DJ uses the mic or not..

There maybe a good reason for doing this that I'm just not aware of.. I know a Dj should have an idea what's expected of them before they arrive and have a few idea's of what'll go

down well & probably be requested etc.. but as Edu says, to know the exact order of what they're going to play before the set must take something away from the fun of dj'ing and putting your

set together at the time... surely you can 'feel' what you want to play next??

Jayne.x.

Social source share

Guest Perception

I've been out twice this weekend to different places and listened to two & a bit sets by three different dj's - about 2hrs 20 mins - where the "dj's" didn't use the mic. It's not the first time I've come across this phenomema, but three times in one weekend ....is it a growing trend? and is it ok?

Kev

Should not be allowed to dj, if they have not got the guts to use the mic!

How are people to learn new records, if they don't know what they are called!!

Edited by Perception
Social source share

They should NOT be allowed behind the decks, if they have not got the GUTS to use the mic!

Sometime i have when there a few folks about,but when its emty i'm i'm gut-less.....and everyone gets better as they get more sets.

Social source share

They should NOT be allowed behind the decks, if they have not got the GUTS to use the mic!

Hang all that do not orate :thumbup:

Nothing to do with having guts.

I've used the mic on many occasions. Was quite a chatterbox in the DDA room actually. Just don't see the point.

But hey, that's just me and I'm no DJ anyway. Proper or otherwise.

Social source share

You'd be surprised how useful a little notebook & pencil can be whilst having a quick shufty at the decks, Soul Inquisition style.

Social source share

Guest kid mohair

quote name='SolidSoul' date='27 August 2009 - 07:54 PM' timestamp='1251395668' post='1139218']

Social source share

Guest kid mohair

You'd be surprised how useful a little notebook & pencil can be whilst having a quick shufty at the decks, Soul Inquisition style.

Pen and paper................its more like camera phone now...(not me ).biggrin.gif

Social source share

...You can also take a peek at the label, write down all the details properly, have a little chat and/or praise the DJ...so many bonuses! :thumbup:

That's real, person-to-person feedback between DJ and punter IMO

Best!

Edu

Social source share

a lot of the soul nights i've ever been to,

you don't know what the dj's are talking about anyway cause you can't understand what there talking about,

too loud / not loud enough / mumbling away.

back it the old days dj's wouldn't tell you what they were playing anyway as they had them covered up,

as a rule i go and ask if i want to know what a record is, a lot of dj's are not very mike friendly and shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a mike ( allthough you could'nt tell them that ) dj's are there to play records and thats the most important thing for me, i think it's a diffcult job to play the right records to make a good set, which is what a good dj will do, it takes a lot of experience to read a crowd, must be worse than ever now as the scene has gone in a lot of different directions,

joe.

Edited by JOE TORQUAY
Social source share

Guest Perception

Hang all that do not orate laugh.gif

Nothing to do with having guts.

I've used the mic on many occasions. Was quite a chatterbox in the DDA room actually. Just don't see the point.

But hey, that's just me and I'm no DJ anyway. Proper or otherwise.

Well as you use the mic, my comment does not apply to you, and I know you play some great records.

If DJ's don't announce the records, how can people learn new sounds?

People can not spend all night going up to the decks to find out this and that! It is intimidating for newcomers to do this!

Social source share

Guest kid mohair

Well as you use the mic, my comment does not apply to you, and I know you play some great records.

People can not spend all night going up to the decks to find out this and that! It is intimidating for newcomers to do this!

well maybe they could ask somebody nearby first.....

Social source share

It can be intimidating for oldies like me, so I understand where you are coming from.

That said, even the most accomplished mic users don't announce every single record they play.

What do you do then?

And anyway, you're not telling me you sit or stand there listening to every single word every DJ says?

Social source share

Mmmm...not really, no. Correct me if i'm wrong, but did DJ's in, let's say, the rare groove scene in the 80's use the mic extensively? Did they in the house scene? Mod scene? And so on... Have that stopped people on those scenes to be able to know the names of the artists and songs they loved? I don't think so.

Why, of all record collecting scenes where Djing is taken into consideration, is the northern/rare soul scene the one where records command higher prices? Appart from other considerations, maybe it's because it's probably the only one that allows you to get on a stage, take a mic and shout the world: "HEY; LOOK WHAT I HAVE HERE!!" :thumbup::boxing:

Best!

Edu

Social source share

[/quote ]

Especially when the DJ says .. F***** Off, the stage, you just made my rare record jump!!:laugh:

P:smile:

Social source share

Guest kid mohair

I personally think that nobody should be allowed to go on to the stage when someone is djing......and thats my opinion only...Andy.

Social source share

No offence AlbertRoss, but now I know it's Groundhog Day :shades:

I honestly don't care and I suspect that the majority of people that go to venues don't either. They just want to hear music they love and that they can dance to. Why should it matter? :-)

Getting back to the subject though I'm not that bothered if the dj uses the mic or not. If I'm really intrigued by what he's playing I'll go and ask him what it is. It isn't difficult. But then that's just how I feel about it and I don't expect everybody else to have the same opinion. Some DJ's are good at using the mic and others aren't. If they're not then they should just shut up and play the records.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert