Johnnie Carter Dells Dies

• Replies 39
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

This is indeed sad news.David Yeats had been talking to Johnnie quite recently and he seemed in improved spirits.

Like other posters I witnessed them live at Trentham Gardens and it still rates as one of the best live performances I have attended .

RIP Johnnie Carter

francis t

realside records

PS I do not understand why this is not front page on soul source.It seems a bit more relevant to the soul community than a book about drugs and northern soul- as good as it may be.

Just wondered?

Social source share

Very sad news.

Bring back the love of yesterday.

Some years ago I was stood on a corner in Greenwich Village at 8 am, on a December morning when an old down and out black guy walked up and opened a bin liner full of records down onto the pavement. He then stood there, clasping his hands, offering them for sale at 50 cents a record, there were a couple of hundred discs spewed across the pavement...

I reached down, glanced at a few and in amongst a pile of pop and rock, there was a near mint 'Bring Back The Love Of Yesterday'. I picked it up, gave the guy a few dollars and walked on my way, to meet my Mrs on 5th Avenue. She could not understand why I was in such a great mood when I got there. THE DELLS, masters of Soul, JOHNNY CARTER, Soul Master...

R.I.P Thanks for the memories.

Social source share

boxing.gifWAT REALY SAD NEWS, ALL I CAN SAY IS THAT TE MUSICE OF THE DELLS AS BEEN AROUND ALL MY ADULT LIFE, FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO DO NOT KNOW MYSELF ON A PERSONAL LEVEL, INTHE 70ts APART FROM NORTHERN SOUL, I WORKED AS A ROADIE PROVIDEING SOUND AND LIGHTING TO MANY ROC K POP AND SOUL BANDS, ON THE LATER I HAVE WORKED WITH JAMES BROW, TRAMPS. EDWIN STARR, JNR WALKER. SISTER SLEDGE, MARVIN GAYE AND SO ON I ASO WORKED AT ELSTREE AND PINEWOOD AND HAVE BEEN PRIVALIDGED TO SPEND TIME WITH MANY GREAT ARTIST AND HAVE SEEN MANY LIVE ACTS..thumbup.gif HOWEVER WHEN I SAW THE DELLS WITH MICK SMITH AND DAVE WELDING AND LOUISE AT TRNTHAM GARDENS, THEY WERE CLEARLY THE BEST I HAVE EVER SEEN IN MY WHOLE LIFE, YES EVEN BETTER THAN SMOKEY ROBINSON, MAJOR LANCE AND SO ON. FOR THOSE WO DID NOT SEE THEM, WHERE THE FUCK WERE YOU. SAD NEWS FOR A TRUELY GREAT GROUP .RIP

ph34r.gif DAVE KIL

Social source share

Had to put this on,loved this record for so long and as the years have gone by its seemed ever more relevant,great lyrics and amazing vocals.RIP Johnnie

Yep second that. Very sad news indeed, just hope he did'nt suffer too much in his last day's. 'There is' was another great song by the group. R.I.P. Johnnie.

Social source share

Guest Hunnymon

After reading a feature on "The Dells" yesterday (I.T.B. 55), I knew Johnny wasn't well because Chuck Barksdale had told ITB readers so and that the group we're holding off from performing at the moment and waiting on Johnny to get well again.......

Then today I read this.........

So sad.

Social source share

Bless him, that's very sad news :sad:

I'll never forget that night at Trentham - my nan died that morning, I split up with my boyfriend of 15 years in the afternoon, got caught doing 108 on the motorway on the way out, then saw the Dells in the evening and it made everything OK. Many thanks to Neil & Angie for all the trials & tribulations bringing them over.

Rest in peace John E xx

Theresa

Social source share

Just logged on to Refrosoul soul and played The love we had.....and then read about Johnnie Cs death sad.gif . Awful news. A loss to the world of music, and yes probably the greatest of all the groups that we all have been priviledged enough to have known and enjoyed. RIP x

Social source share

That was awsome Baz,thanks funny how some poxy pop star pops his clogs and soul forums are inundated and a stunning vocalist passes away and so few pay respect. Go figure.

your a good man Larry for noting that-we all take the best of life for granted and the Dells well 50 years or so and each singer a ledgend in their own right-gonna post up stay in my corner tonight another masterpeice.

BAZ A

KEEP THE TRIBUTES COMING!!

Social source share

That was awsome Baz,thanks funny how some poxy pop star pops his clogs and soul forums are inundated and a stunning vocalist passes away and so few pay respect. Go figure.

There is pop and there is Art.

Social source share

Bless him, that's very sad news sad.gif

I'll never forget that night at Trentham - my nan died that morning, I split up with my boyfriend of 15 years in the afternoon, got caught doing 108 on the motorway on the way out, then saw the Dells in the evening and it made everything OK. Many thanks to Neil & Angie for all the trials & tribulations bringing them over.

Rest in peace John E xx

Really sad news. Played "Make Sure" last week and is still on top of a pile of records next to the decks - weird,

Angela and myself actually didn't bring them over or promote that gig at Trentham Gardens - Chris Burton did and deserves all the credit for doing so. We did have the privilege of going out for dinner with Chuck and the late (and wonderful human being) Otis Leavill at the time and that was mindblowing.

Was re-reading one of the Philly books recently and had not realised that Kenny Gamble was a Dells fanatic and wanted them to be one of the first acts he signed to Philadelphia International. They said no so instead he decided Philly Int would create their own Dells - those Harold Melvin songs were originally planned for The Dells.

Neil

Social source share

Mighty mighty sad news

Carter & Junior - the best ever vocal combo, yep better than

Kendricks & Ruffin

50+ years in the biz and still sounded brill

RIP big fellah thanx for the memories

Social source share

Guest tomaokeh

very very sad news a great loss to soul music. you left us with some fantastic recordings over the years and thank you for this epic double header

MAKE SURE + The Dells - Does anybody know I'm here - Cadet

R I P JOHNNIE CARTER

Social source share

Hi Bazs And Joan Harry From St Bernadettes Soul Club Whitefield

This A Letter We Recieved From The Dell THe Other Day

There Will Be a One Hour Tribute On Sundays Right Track Soul Show See you Soon

To Our Generations of Fans and Friends in the Music Industry:

A Special Message from The Dells

In Remembrance of Johnny Carter

(June 2, 1934 - August 21, 2009)

For all those who have supported The Dells over the generations - our fans, the media, radio stations, family, and friends in the music industry - we send sincere thanks for your prayers, wishes and condolences. As we mourn the loss of one of the music industry's great legends, let us also pause for a moment to celebrate the life of our brother and best friend, Johnny Carter. During his lifetime, Johnny earned unparalleled distinction as the lead tenor of The Dells. His contributions to music secured him two inductions in the Rock-n-Roll Hall of Fame, an induction in the Rhythm and Blues Hall of Fame, numerous other awards, and countless commendations. His thunderous tenor and multi-octave range earned him many names. In Jamaica, he is known as the "bird man," because he could hit notes as high as the tallest tree. To The Dells and members of the band, he was "Old San Juan" and "Little Big Man," who often sang soulful melodies about opossums in the gum tree and raccoons on the ground.

To the music industry, he was the happiest cat around - infectiously good humored. His radiant smile and impish wink will remain etched indelibly in our minds and hearts. Mostly, Johnny Carter lived fully and applied his God-given talent aptly up to the last day of his life. But his most extraordinary characteristic is the role he assumed as a "Man" - father, brother and best friend. Although he no longer can stand with us, the memory and essence of Johnny Carter will remain eternally in the hearts of all of The Dells, his family and fans worldwide. His contributions as one of the greatest tenors in the history of music are permanently archived and will impact the world of music forever.

While most remember him for his incredible voice, to us, Johnny can never be properly memorialized. Our wish is that Johnny Carter's life and legacy continue to inspire each of us as we move forward knowing that THE DELLS ALWAYS . . . YES . . . ALWAYS WILL BE TOGETHER.

Signed in Loving Memory,

Verne Allison, Chuck Barksdale, Marvin Junior, and Michael "Mickey" McGill

Note: We encourage you to send words of encouragement to Johnny's family through our blog https://thedells.blogspot.com/.

THE RIGHT TRACK SOUL SHOW WILL PAY TRIBUTE THIS SUNDAY AT 8.00pm uk time

Harry & Diana

The Right Track Soul Show

Salford City Radio 94.4 fm

Sunday nights 8.00 pm - 10.00 pm

www.salfordcityradio.orgemail:

[email="righttrack@salfordcityradio.org"

]righttrack@salfordcityradio.org[

/email]https://www.therighttrack.org.uk

Studio Number: 0161 793 2944 / 2942

This post has been edited by has: 25 August 2009 - 10:56 AM

• add.png