Whitneys New Single

Guest Hunnymon

Guest Hunnymon

I heard it on radio two today and I rekon it's quite a good retro sounding number.

I don't usually like Whitney Houston's stuff but this one could be her best ever me-thinks!

Social source share

• Replies 63
  • Views 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Matt Male

Since maybe she was born really...Maybe it's in her genes...and if your mum is Cissy Houston and your auntie is Dionne Warwick....Then you're in with a chance.... What parameters are you setting for Soulfulness?! thumbsup.gif

Er... making soul records maybe? Can you name one? She's a black pop singer.

I know her heritage, so what? My Greatgrandad played for Notts County but i'm crap at football laugh.gif

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

...But that's not really 'Next-Generation' sort of stuff as mentioned is it..My Great-Grandfather was ltalian but l'm crap at speaking ltalian thumbsup.gif But what about 'l'm every woman' by Whitney...Sounds like Soul to me,mate! thumbsup.gif

Come on 'I'm Every Woman' is a soul record because it was originally Chaka Khan. Covering soul classics doesn't make her a soul singer.

I knew you'd have trouble naming one. :tongue: Can anyone else name a soul record originally recorded by Whitney Houston?

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

....So cos it's a cover then it can't be Soul??So could you please inform the following..Tammi Terell,The Flirtations,lsley Brothers,Four Tops and many many more...by the way Saving All My Love IMO is Soul...The fact it sold shedfuls doesn't stop it being Soul but disqualifies it from being rare..What ls Soul?..Discuss.. whistling:laugh:

Sorry mate all those you name had original soul recordings, i never said because it was a cover it wasn't soul... in fact if you read my post i said it was soul. I just said she isn't a soul singer, which she isn't. :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Anyone heard the Sam Dees penned "Lover For Life" sung by the young Whitney?

A pretty good Modern Soul record (IMO)!

(But not quite as good as Sams original Demo, I must admit!)

thumbsup.gif

Sean

I think she would have been great if she hadn't ruined herself with the crappy 90s power ballads and cheesy nightclub dancers. A shame given her family history. :sad:

Gotta confess, It's Not Right But It's Ok isn't too bad... whistling

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Anyone heard the Sam Dees penned "Lover For Life" sung by the young Whitney?

A pretty good Modern Soul record (IMO)!

(But not quite as good as Sams original Demo, I must admit!)

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Damn, Hampsey, you beat me to it!

I've always thought "You Give Good Love" was an impressive debut single, and a pretty good soul record, too.

As a soul artist, she went downhill quickly after her first album, though.

Social source share

I've always thought "You Give Good Love" was an impressive debut single, and a pretty good soul record, too.

As a soul artist, she went downhill quickly after her first album, though.

There are some nice moments on the "My Love Is Your Love" album though. Especially the title track, "It's Not Right But It's OK" and "Get It Back".

Social source share

Since when on this scene does a person have to be a soul singer to make a soul song ?

Double post 6 minutes apart,must feel a bit like me no one is listening :D

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Yes ken 6 mins apart, I'm not meant robe using my phone at work so therefore I closed itwhen I hit post and then when I reopened it I still had the post page up

Social source share

Yes ken 6 mins apart, I'm not meant robe using my phone at work so therefore I closed itwhen I hit post and then when I reopened it I still had the post page up

Try not to do it again Davie, i think you've ruined Ken's day!

Simon :D

Social source share

Can anyone else name a soul record originally recorded by Whitney Houston?

'Fine' (that's a song by her btw) - although many will claim it's not for reasons below...

Whether you like it/Whitney or not, she is a soul singer in the same way that anyone at motown was a soul singer/black pop singer.

Most of this thread is more about 60's music fans not liking most post-60's productions - which is fine if that's your taste, but don't start rewriting history to accommodate your personal taste in music, especially as it's a scene that lists records by Patti Page amongst its plays lol (how much is that dooggiiiee in the window....)

cheers Sutty

Social source share

'Fine' (that's a song by her btw) - although many will claim it's not for reasons below...

Whether you like it/Whitney or not, she is a soul singer in the same way that anyone at motown was a soul singer/black pop singer.

Most of this thread is more about 60's music fans not liking most post-60's productions - which is fine if that's your taste, but don't start rewriting history to accommodate your personal taste in music, especially as it's a scene that lists records by Patti Page amongst its plays lol (how much is that dooggiiiee in the window....)

cheers Sutty

It's an interesting subject this soul thang Paul, i think the thing is everyone has a different take on it, is it purely black music or is it music sung from the heart.

You've used Patti Page as an example but for me "You don't need a heart" for instance is sung from the heart, possibly making it Soul whereas the WH tune we're talking bout on this thread comes across as totally soulless to me.

I would say something like "Charro" by Elvis P is totally soulful although others would totally disagree, Nick Cave also has lots of soul for me etc.

Simon :D

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

cheers Sutty

How do you come to the conclusion that this thread is critical of Whitney because she isn't 60s and I personally don't like Whitney because i don't like anything post 60s? laugh.gif Completely wrong.

To hold up non-soul singer or record on the scene as an example of why we should accept Whitney as a soul singer doesn't make any sense either. Who ever said the northern scene played exclusively soul records by soul singers? No one. Not being a soul singer never stopped anyone getting played out at northern venues. That doesn't mean we have to accept every Tom, Dick and Whitney who comes along do we?

I never knew there were so many Whitney fans on here (it'll be Celine Dion and Jennifer Rush next) laugh.gif This has been a fun wind up but i really can't believe i'm wasting my time on Whitney Houston. Back to your power ballads lads wink.gif

Personal taste, rewrite history (funny one that) or whatever, she aint a soul singer imo thumbsup.gif

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

I can`t chuffin stand whitney houston, gets right on my tits, if I have to listen to I will always love you again I will a). buy a rope :cool:. find a high balcony c) ride a unicycle on a tightrope over a pit of hungry croccodiles d) buy a man u shirt

she aint no soul singer, she just don`t have it in her

Social source share

Guest Mart B

I heard it today on Smooth radio driving back from work,its absolute drivel it doesnt even warrant a posting.

THIS IS A RARE & NORTHERN SOUL SITE,,,,,,Do some folk who post on soulsource realise thatno.gif .

Social source share

Guest Mart B

Good idea,let's dicuss artists and tunes most of us haven't heard of eh? Blinkered or what!! :smile:

Like i said its a RARE & NORTHERN SOUL SITE which bit didnt you understand:glare: ,you are probably new to the scene,then i can understand:good:

Social source share

Like i said its a RARE & NORTHERN SOUL SITE which bit didnt you understand:glare: ,you are probably new to the scene,then i can understand:good:

Lol! Webby's out dancing to northern soul tonight in Dublin, so isn't around to respond until tomorrow, but you're right, he is a relative newcomer to the scene, having first pitched up at Wigan in November 1974 and therefore only having a mere 35 continuous years under his belt :laugh:

Social source share

Like i said its a RARE & NORTHERN SOUL SITE which bit didnt you understandglare.gif ,you are probably new to the scene,then i can understandgood.gif

Its a bit more than that mate. All kinds of Black Music represented on here these days, even Reggae, so I guess the daughter of Cissy Houston's new single is worth a shout... even if it aint up to much!

:thumbsup:

Sean

Social source share

Guest proudlove

Like i said its a RARE & NORTHERN SOUL SITE which bit didnt you understandglare.gif ,you are probably new to the scene,then i can understandgood.gif

Oh dear.

Social source share

I thought you were a teacher Webby?

When I was at school and came out with a statement which I failed to back up with a logical argument,for instance History lessons

"Sir, those Romans are shit. They didn't even have mobile phones or X-boxes"

He'd look at me kindly and explain the benefits of herding the forerunners of the Welsh into Wales so that future generations would not have to suffer the ignomy of being responsible for both morris-dancing and the Eistedfford. He'd also point out that it was 1969 and whilst introducing anachronisms into History class was slightly amusing my time would perhaps be better spent outside the Headmaster's study. I would then respectfully draw his attention to the fact that being the Headmaster why would he need a place to study. Surely his studying days were well over, and the constant stream of young boys entering his room to sate his unwholesome appetite for corporal punishment would be deemed worthy of investigation in a more enlightened age.

From that point it would descend into mutual recrimination with the original subject matter forgotten.

And they say school fails to prepare you for later life.

ROD

Social source share

Guest proudlove

ame='webbydublin' date='22 August 2009 - 03:47 PM' timestamp='1250952451' post='1135735']

nah twat read it right it says SHES W-NK FULL STOP MUSIC WISE, HER HUBBY MADE BETTER MUSIC DOH

Oh dear.

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

....Tut tut calling people names eh? How very clever...The icon you used was a verb rather than a noun,and where did you write

'MUSIC WISE?' DAFT C...!( no l won't lower myself to your 'Gutter-Standards) :wanker:

let's get it into perspective lads ... the whole thread was about "do you like this record?" that's all

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert