There Really Are Two Scenes.......a Million Miles Apart

Guest gordon russell

Yeah that is definetly true Sean and I have to confess I am one of those exact people!

The remarkable truth though, is that there is a 'collective' knowledge (and subsequent scene discography) now that far outstrips that apparent in 74/75 when many people entered the scene. In fact as the years go by, it sometimes feels like I am climbing an insurmountable mountain of records and if you are a normal Northern 60s/70s fan you can easily write off the next 20 years and still not have heard everything. (By which time many of us will have shuffled off and the ones left will probably struggle to remember 10 titles!) The volume of records to explore is immense and unless you are a full time Dealer, DJ, Millionaire etc who can spend your whole life trawling lists, the internet, US warehouses, your never going to get near hearing it all are you?

So for me, its not a case of not wanting to hear 'new' soul. But I am still hearing what I class as 'new' records thirty or 40 years after their bloody release and I am so helplessly in love with the sounds of those eras, it leaves me with little time or inclination to widen the net even further!

For example ADY played THE AVONS 60s version of PEGGY GAINES 'When the boy that you love' last saturday at the 100 CLUB, I'd never heard it and had to PM asking him who it was but what a record! In the last year I've picked up on JACKIE JASON, BARBARA HALL, HERMAN GRIFFIN and PAULINE SHIVERS courtesy of STEVE PLUMB and these are bloody fantastic records to my ears and yet I've never heard them before in 36 years of going to do's!

Every night I have the bloody time, I find more records that I do not know and they are all from that original 60s-70s era. Maybe if there is another life, I'll get a chance to seriously expliore the 80s and 90s but I doubt it somehow!thumbup.gif

very profound and have to agree

methinks maybe the modern soul scene is for those who have a low boredem threshold and are no longer in tune with the northern scene and lost interest.. and want to create a contemporary scene of their own with their own music..

and to justify this they denounce us as stick in the mud dinosaurs whistling.gif

Edited by barney
Social source share

• Replies 113
  • Views 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

very profound and have to agree

methinks maybe the modern soul scene is for those who have a low boredem threshold and are no longer in tune with the northern scene and lost interest.. and want to create a contemporary scene of their own with their own music..

and to justify this they denounce us as stick in the mud dinosaurs whistling.gif

Yes, I think there is a degree of that, but I suppose it comes back to the old chestnut of what is 'modern' and then we go round and round again.....

To me, I love American Soul primarily from the 60s and 70s and there is just simply such a huge catalogue of records to explore I'll never get through it in my lifetime. I'll never bore of that music, in fact it sounds even greater to me now than when I was a teenager. It does not mean I cannot appreciate contemporary releases but I just do not go out of my way to listen to them simply because I am always trying to check out new sounds from those original eras.

As for the people who are obsessed with everything needing to be 'contemporary', there is a lot of bullshit that goes with that and to be fair, I get the feeling that there is a fair sprinkling of people who go for the ultra-contemporary scene who were never really passionately into 60s Soul anyway...

Social source share

As for the people who are obsessed with everything needing to be 'contemporary', there is a lot of bullshit that goes with that and to be fair, I get the feeling that there is a fair sprinkling of people who go for the ultra-contemporary scene who were never really passionately into 60s Soul anyway...

That might well be true. I just happened to get into 60's Soul in the 60's and in the 70's found I liked 70's stuff too... and so on.

There's no doubt that the 60's - early/mid 70's was the Golden Age... but I don't like to miss out on any of it, which is why I spend my time listening to music from all eras... and picking the best from the five decades.

I dunno... some folk just can't seem to keep up!

:D

Sean

Social source share

I don't mean to be rude, as I know you are responding to a personal attack, but I do believe that is the most off-topic, local radio comment I have ever read.

It was rather twatish but in my defence the detours around those two road closures adeed a good hour onto our mini bus ride home, infact poor ole smudge didn't hit his stink pit until 5-45am after leaving Bradford at 12-40 :D

Edited by PaulDonnelly
Social source share

Guest DeeJay

Having read some of the events talk and lookbacks I can only say that there are two completely different scenes nowadays.......One that seems to hold true with all thats underground,dark ,sweaty and edgy playing pumping black music to die for the other is a complete plastic,commercial scene that bares no resemblance to anything about now or in the past frequented by people off of another planet or so it seems...tezza

Honestly, who gives a toss. You lot have no idea how lucky you are. Whilst growing up i managed to get to most do's Wigan, Stafford, Clifton Hall to name but a few. I was/am dedicated and passionate, i went at it 100 percent, collcted choons, put on my own nights, the scene was my life.

In 1990 i imoved to the States for a short time job (6 months). This got extended to a year, which gradually got extended to 5 years. Needles to say, i got married, had children and moved to California. I Love the lifewe have, my family and northern soul. Not just the music, but the scene, the life, the atmos, the feeling -just like you lot, Now reduce you ability toget to a do to 5-6 times a year (not a month). Then start to whinge about this, and that.

I feel like Monty Python "Up hill both ways" But im sure you get my drift.You lot are so lucky, enjoy it, and make the most of it.:D

DJ

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Thanks Paul.

For those interested we left 20mins before the eveining ended due to the near on 4hr journey home due to local problems at Tallington and Pondersbridge

Cya in Oct when Bro does his best and Terrys mates give him the big fuck offy..

PD x

they'll like mick, cause he actually likes the music.....oh by the way pd it shuts at 1 O'Clock try and last out lolwicked.gif

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

Mick will do a sterling job, as he's done in Spain for the last three Halloweens on the trot.

I get to even fewer do's than our friend in California and I can't exactly blame it on the lack of quality events,

as anyone who has been over from the UK will know.

For me, it's about marrying my current obsessions with my long term 'condition'.

Sometimes a weekend of Soul in the company of likeminded folk might win the day

over a weekend spent visiting vineyards and

generally feeding the face. Other times it's the other way round.

My next event will be the Runaway Love Weekender in two weeks time and I'm looking forward to it.

We all do our bit, or I like to think so...

Mac

Social source share

Mick will do a sterling job, as he's done in Spain for the last three Halloweens on the trot.

I get to even fewer do's than our friend in California and I can't exactly blame it on the lack of quality events,

as anyone who has been over from the UK will know.

For me, it's about marrying my current obsessions with my long term 'condition'.

Sometimes a weekend of Soul in the company of likeminded folk might win the day

over a weekend spent visiting vineyards and

generally feeding the face. Other times it's the other way round.

My next event will be the Runaway Love Weekender in two weeks time and I'm looking forward to it.

We all do our bit, or I like to think so...

Mac

he'll be ok Adrian.

Social source share

Guest spudmurphy

if your looking for a superb year for soul and also football try 1966 I was bought the dreaded 100 northern soul cd by the breadknife and saucepanlids for fathers day and played it driving down to cornwall theres some shite but there are classics on it as well but what struck me was the amount of records recorded in 66, Ill get me coat.

Social source share

if your looking for a superb year for soul and also football try 1966 I was bought the dreaded 100 northern soul cd by the breadknife and saucepanlids for fathers day and played it driving down to cornwall theres some shite but there are classics on it as well but what struck me was the amount of records recorded in 66, Ill get me coat.

1966 AND 1973 are the two top years for methumbsup.gif

Social source share

That might well be true. I just happened to get into 60's Soul in the 60's and in the 70's found I liked 70's stuff too... and so on.

There's no doubt that the 60's - early/mid 70's was the Golden Age... but I don't like to miss out on any of it, which is why I spend my time listening to music from all eras... and picking the best from the five decades.

I dunno... some folk just can't seem to keep up!

:wink:

Sean

That last line sounds like my old school reports!!:thumbup:

Edited by chorleysoul
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert