There Really Are Two Scenes.......a Million Miles Apart

Guest gordon russell

Guest gordon russell

Having read some of the events talk and lookbacks I can only say that there are two completely different scenes nowadays.......One that seems to hold true with all thats underground,dark ,sweaty and edgy playing pumping black music to die for the other is a complete plastic,commercial scene that bares no resemblance to anything about now or in the past frequented by people off of another planet or so it seems...tezza

Social source share

• Replies 113
  • Views 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest dundeedavie

Having read some of the events talk and lookbacks I can only say that there are two completely different scenes nowadays.......One that seems to hold true with all thats underground,dark ,sweaty and edgy playing pumping black music to die for the other is a complete plastic,commercial scene that bares no resemblance to anything about now or in the past frequented by people off of another planet or so it seems...tezza

examples?

Social source share

Only two scenes?

Social source share

Only two?

fuck me there's at least 7, isn't there??? g.gif

Social source share

Underground, overground, wombling free.

"Two Scenes" is a bit simplistic.

You might say there are 2 main philosophies represented in the mass of soul (rnb, 60s to modern) fans and events, as there are in every cultural pursuit; the conservative and the progressive.

But within those extremes there's a spectrum of event types, ranging from sleazy keep-em-hidden-in-the-basement nighters like Bidds through popular Oldies nights like Brighouse and Grosvenor rooms (the punters of which are every bit as passionate as the 'rare' lot) to one-step-above-disco borderline cheesefests like Westgate main room and Mansfield Civic. Supermarkets and cornershops.

Although my personal favourite is Bidds, and I get bored of the "4 DJs, One Box" policy at the more nostalgic nights, I also like to hear the popular classics now and then and love the friendly atmosphere of a big well-attended oldies night; and I also enjoy being able to mix it with the handbaggers (from whence I came) occasionally as well.

Variety is the spice of life, and all that.

The important thing though, is that we all know that whatever our tastes, we are all part of the same big happy soul family, which is why we are never immature enough to look down on other people or fall out over this stuff.

onebigfamily.jpg

(apologies to the artist)

Edited by spirit
Social source share

:laugh::laugh::laugh: Spirit you are ace mate, as usual! In fact, can you do an illustration based on the Darwinian principles of how people evolve through the various scenes as their tastes mature? Ta. That'll get the knuckle-draggers going :tongue:

:D Cheers, T.

Edited by spirit
Social source share

Reckon in the last picture that Rare Man and Oldies Man are shouting at Modern Man "YOU F***IN' STARTED IT WITH THE B**TARD CARSTAIRS!!

thumbup.gif

Benny Troy re-edit

I wanna give you a beating with a big stick :rolleyes:

Social source share

Guest Mrs Simsy

Reckon in the last picture that Rare Man and Oldies Man are shouting at Modern Man "YOU F***IN' STARTED IT WITH THE B**TARD CARSTAIRS!!

thumbup.gif

:rolleyes:

Brilliant illustration Lee!:thumbup:

I do love the reads on soul source, some people do get a bit personal & cross the line sometimes imo though. I think most of us started out as 'oldie' lovers or handbaggers & some evolved into rare soul lovers & some more evolved into prefering the modern side. Different courses for different horses i say!:D

Social source share

Say's the man with the Russ & Kev Wigan patch avatar.

Hmmmm.....

Social source share

laugh.gif

Brilliant illustration Lee!yes.gif

I do love the reads on soul source, some people do get a bit personal & cross the line sometimes imo though. I think most of us started out as 'oldie' lovers or handbaggers & some evolved into rare soul lovers & some more evolved into prefering the modern side. Different courses for different horses i say!biggrin.gif

thumbsup.gif Spot on!

Social source share

Guest kev such

A very good friend of mine has been back into the Northern Scene for 5 or 6 years. He was about in the beginning and he ammassed a good collection back in the day and has kept it.

However, he has been seriously buying for the last 6 months or so and is amassing a brilliant OVO collection.

The tunes that he has been buying are the ones he remembers from his days long ago, with some current tunes that have been broken since he left the scene also. Not modern,rare or obscure but "Oldies" as called.

Consequently the guy is in his 50's and calls me nearly every or every other day letting me know about the latest tune he has picked up or managed to get hold of, how much he has paid etc....

He is NO LESS passionate about the scene or the tunes than any other person whichever genre or time spent on the scene is. BUT the excitement and general "cock a hoopness" in his voice when he tells me which is his latest purchase or what he's getting is great to see and hear, if you knew him you'd know why its important. But should the "lets keep it fresh and as close to how it was" and "not that stuff again" brigade would possibly belittle him for his purchases.

Admittedly the more infinately knowledgable and time served DJ's or travellers on the scene are possibly (more than likely) fed up with hearing the same number of tunes again and again and like an addict are always on the look out for that next "WOW" fix. A good number of the up and coming DJs on the scene are possibly in a place that the well respected and well known DJ's were at 10 or 15 years ago or further back. However saying that I'd imagine that if you are newly into Northern Soul etc... The path in which you take depends on the crowd that you initially meet and are influenced by.

There are many different styles and genres on the Soul scene as we all know but thats the beauty of it.

Last year at the Wellingborough Alldayer and at the Soul for Heroes event at the Grosvenor rooms there were between 400 and 500 people all dancing and listening to "oldies". If we all moved on and left the time served tunes behind it would be a considerable shame.

I personally believe that the term "Oldies" for certain elements means the same tunes over and over again, and it is a rutt that has caused the divide. But surely oldies means a whole host of possibilities. Thankfully there are still DJ's and collectors that are constantly looking for new tunes to play out or to a select few that eventually filter down the chain and become mainstream. When a tune is played by a less mortal DJ then all credit should go to the person who found it and had the balls to try it in front of a crowd, good reaction or not.

Marky Mole never ceases to amaze me by playing me £30 and below tunes that to me are brilliant, and his spots are always different. But he would probably not get a spot at one of the more prolific events.

As you say Terry there are a million miles between the 2 (as you suggest ) scenes and I should imagine that the twain shall never meet, however the tunes will and are eventually going to be played at clubs up and down the country. I wonder wether when that happens they will be cast onto the "same old same old" scrap heap.

Kev

Social source share

....Or maybe....Stick by me baby,That Beatin' Rhythmn,or possibly,Hundred Pounds Of Pain.. whistling.gif

.....It's the phone........Theresa....It's for you!! thumbsup.gif

We'll get thrown into freebasing Webby you muppet! Anyway:

You Beat Me To The Punch

You Hit Me Right Where It Hurt Me

A Little Bit Hurt

Let's Wade In...With The Punches

and my personal favourite - The Bottle laugh.gif

Social source share

Guest Mart B

Interesting thread in my neck of the woods Mansfield theres threewicked.gif Theres 1 the Handbaggars who was into soul & have "returned to the scene" The 1966/1972 era brigade who think they have been there done it got the T SHIRT etc but in reality they "Haventwanker.gif .The other 2 of The Mansfield soul scene is probably the best in the country with The Attic progressing the scene forward with quality tunes & the best guest Djs ever to grace Mansfield! and "The Kingsway Forest Town Carl Pipers do" theres know where better in the country if you want The heyday of The 70ts,,

So in Mansfield we do have a across the board choicegood.gif ....

I know what mine isthumbsup.gif,,,,,

Social source share

Guest biggray1

Interesting thread in my neck of the woods Mansfield theres threewicked.gif Theres 1 the Handbaggars who was into soul & have "returned to the scene" The 1966/1972 era brigade who think they have been there done it got the T SHIRT etc but in reality they "Haventwanker.gif .The other 2 of The Mansfield soul scene is probably the best in the country with The Attic progressing the scene forward with quality tunes & the best guest Djs ever to grace Mansfield! and "The Kingsway Forest Town Carl Pipers do" theres know where better in the country if you want The heyday of The 70ts,,

So in Mansfield we do have a across the board choicegood.gif ....

I know what mine isthumbsup.gif,,,,,

Gotta agree with you mate but who is the wanker.gif s who run the hand bag nites in Mansfieldwhistling.gif

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

not mentioned oldies or newies at all........attitude is what l'm talking about:glare: ..why do folk always think it's a thing about feckin oldies v newies ect ect

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

A very good friend of mine has been back into the Northern Scene for 5 or 6 years. He was about in the beginning and he ammassed a good collection back in the day and has kept it.

However, he has been seriously buying for the last 6 months or so and is amassing a brilliant OVO collection.

The tunes that he has been buying are the ones he remembers from his days long ago, with some current tunes that have been broken since he left the scene also. Not modern,rare or obscure but "Oldies" as called.

Consequently the guy is in his 50's and calls me nearly every or every other day letting me know about the latest tune he has picked up or managed to get hold of, how much he has paid etc....

He is NO LESS passionate about the scene or the tunes than any other person whichever genre or time spent on the scene is. BUT the excitement and general "cock a hoopness" in his voice when he tells me which is his latest purchase or what he's getting is great to see and hear, if you knew him you'd know why its important. But should the "lets keep it fresh and as close to how it was" and "not that stuff again" brigade would possibly belittle him for his purchases.

Admittedly the more infinately knowledgable and time served DJ's or travellers on the scene are possibly (more than likely) fed up with hearing the same number of tunes again and again and like an addict are always on the look out for that next "WOW" fix. A good number of the up and coming DJs on the scene are possibly in a place that the well respected and well known DJ's were at 10 or 15 years ago or further back. However saying that I'd imagine that if you are newly into Northern Soul etc... The path in which you take depends on the crowd that you initially meet and are influenced by.

There are many different styles and genres on the Soul scene as we all know but thats the beauty of it.

Last year at the Wellingborough Alldayer and at the Soul for Heroes event at the Grosvenor rooms there were between 400 and 500 people all dancing and listening to "oldies". If we all moved on and left the time served tunes behind it would be a considerable shame.

I personally believe that the term "Oldies" for certain elements means the same tunes over and over again, and it is a rutt that has caused the divide. But surely oldies means a whole host of possibilities. Thankfully there are still DJ's and collectors that are constantly looking for new tunes to play out or to a select few that eventually filter down the chain and become mainstream. When a tune is played by a less mortal DJ then all credit should go to the person who found it and had the balls to try it in front of a crowd, good reaction or not.

Marky Mole never ceases to amaze me by playing me £30 and below tunes that to me are brilliant, and his spots are always different. But he would probably not get a spot at one of the more prolific events.

As you say Terry there are a million miles between the 2 (as you suggest ) scenes and I should imagine that the twain shall never meet, however the tunes will and are eventually going to be played at clubs up and down the country. I wonder wether when that happens they will be cast onto the "same old same old" scrap heap.

Kev

yeh like you know ........YOU NEVER GO TO A VENUE THAT YOU HAVE NOWT TO DO WITH, you went to lutterworth and spent 4 and a half hours outside.........you couldn't even be bothered to hear the dj's music

Social source share

Of course there are only two scenes...there is R&B...then the rest of the crap :thumbsup:

so we've got rare soul, oldies, RnB, and don't forget there's also the classic modern types or New release modern / RnB modern and then there are those who like the jazzy modern shite....

so many sides of this scene me thinks..

sorry.:huh:

Social source share

...Dear me saying "Jazzy Modern" and adding the word 'Shite' doesn't make you objective does it?,and must make people who like that (and other types of styles within the scene) feel very alienated..Can you imagine saying Rare Soul Shite? :thumbsup:

yep! and I frequently do. :huh:

I say it quite tongue in cheek but I don't make any secret of the fact I can't be doin with all the jazzy stuff

that's crept into modern rooms. it does feel like there are 2 sides to the modern scene these days (which is

I suppose what I was getting at)

Jayne.x

Social source share

yep! and I frequently do. biggrin.gif

I say it quite tongue in cheek but I don't make any secret of the fact I can't be doin with all the jazzy stuff

that's crept into modern rooms. it does feel like there are 2 sides to the modern scene these days (which is

I suppose what I was getting at)

Jayne.x

Jayne, only two sides to the Modern scene.....

two-step, soulful-house, x-over, anthems, 80s groove, jazzg.gif

even have people calling Carstairs, Montclairs etc modernlaugh.gif

Dave x

Edited by davetay
Social source share

boxing.gif THERE IS ONLY 1 SOUL SCENE, AS YOU ALL KNOW, IT,S A GROVE THING?, AND WE ARE ALL SUFERING FROM A STRONG AND OVERWELMING OBSSESIVE CONPULSION WITH BEHAVIOUR ISSUES. Consider the facts we are all addicts we yap on or cant wait to tell someone our new stuff, most have ad some involvement with chemical misuse, and as some Sage informed me when e was blocked on Caps and Blues "its a scene of lost soles" that's why we relate to Soul music so much as we are empathetic and respectful to each and everyone we meet? remember Sounds Of Unity and Love, Right on, and Keep on Keeping on!.

ph34r.gif The Spirit of 69 DAVE KIL

Edited by dthedrug
Social source share

Jayne, only two sides to the Modern scene.....

two-step, soulful-house, x-over, anthems, 80s groove, jazzg.gif

even have people calling Carstairs, Montclairs etc modernlaugh.gif

Dave x

Ah, hmm very true I guess. good point Dave. yes.gif

can't call x-over or jazz modern though... ph34r.gif

Jayne.x

Social source share

Got to be honest I'm a bit confused now.

When I read the first post I got the impression (rightly or wrongly) that the 2 scene reference was the difference between the upfront nighter versus the soul night event.

Then it became oldies and newies, with all the other sub divisions and categories that encompasses.

Now it's about attitude.

So presumably there is a right and wrong attitude.

Just interested in what the right attitude is.

not mentioned oldies or newies at all........attitude is what l'm talking aboutglare.gif ..why do folk always think it's a thing about feckin oldies v newies ect ect

Social source share

There's lots of different sub-sets within what is widely called the 'Northern Scene'. Certain parts of some of those sub-sets used to really annoy me (and still occasionaly get to me!). But got to the point where I just think that everyone should just go where they want, listen to what they want and enjoy themselves. You'll never convince a die hard member of any of the sub sets that they should stop what they currently do and start listening to newies/modern/RnB etc. Some will naturally explore different sub sets but generally not if they feel forced into it.

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

aside from sub genres i thought this was about Norhern Soul vs the nights that are put on to play lots of 60's to say 80's top 40 soul hits.

too many sub genres and it's a pain. as if you go to a across the board night do you have to have all styles to please everyone

Social source share

aside from sub genres i thought this was about Norhern Soul vs the nights that are put on to play lots of 60's to say 80's top 40 soul hits.

too many sub genres and it's a pain. as if you go to a across the board night do you have to have all styles to please everyone

" Now then , now then , Guys and Gals : here we have Mr Frank Wilson " ........

Malc Burton

post-5097-12507522390161_thumb.jpg

post-5097-12507522390161_thumb.jpg

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

There's lots of different sub-sets within what is widely called the 'Northern Scene'. Certain parts of some of those sub-sets used to really annoy me (and still occasionaly get to me!). But got to the point where I just think that everyone should just go where they want, listen to what they want and enjoy themselves. You'll never convince a die hard member of any of the sub sets that they should stop what they currently do and start listening to newies/modern/RnB etc. Some will naturally explore different sub sets but generally not if they feel forced into it.

Yes indeed... Good post Matt..

I would like to meet up with all my mates of a weekend but they are split into different cults now... Maybe thats just a thing about getting older, you just find what you want and go with that.. As i have said before, i like a good mix of sounds but that kind of place aint to everones liking...

Another sub group are the internet soul club.... Many on this forum just get the passion from logging on and don't attend soul nights..

Just do what you wanna do and try not to think too much about what others are doing.. Waste of breath/ time and energy..

Peace x

Social source share

:thumbsup:

Brilliant illustration Lee!:huh:

I do love the reads on soul source, some people do get a bit personal & cross the line sometimes imo though. I think most of us started out as 'oldie' lovers or handbaggers & some evolved into rare soul lovers & some more evolved into prefering the modern side. Different courses for different horses i say!:yes:

Ta, Kylee. I agree with that; we can forget there's a real person on the other end of the screen sometimes, though some people are a little too sensitive at times.

On the evolution front, I was called "hardcore" the other night at Droylesden by a lass I know, then later on "traitor" when she found out I'd come from a disco. I think she was teasing me.

I consider myself a rare handbagger.

Social source share

Got to be honest I'm a bit confused now.

When I read the first post I got the impression (rightly or wrongly) that the 2 scene reference was the difference between the upfront nighter versus the soul night event.

Then it became oldies and newies, with all the other sub divisions and categories that encompasses.

Now it's about attitude.

So presumably there is a right and wrong attitude.

Just interested in what the right attitude is.

Live and let live.

Social source share

Whilst i agree that there is a commercial side to the scene, and also the gritty 'underground' stuff gets played, i dont think there are two different scenes as such

The thread has highlighted, as usual, the difference in tastes of music, which creates sub sets of nights, genres, "mini-scenes" etc.

HOWEVER

Surely, this is still one scene - the soul scene?

We can trace the music right back through history. The sounds of each genre go back to an origin which is where the soul scene started from. At the end of teh day, the music created the scene. Of course people have evolved the scene into what it is today, different tastes, breaking new tunes blah blah blah, but the constant is always soul music, which is why IMO it is just one soul scene.

There's lots of choice out there, are people honestly plastic just because they're into a different aspect of the soul music scene? I would strongly suggest not.

Edited by LilJimmyCrank
Social source share

There are of course numerous different interest groups and factions - though we're all of a soul bent (some of us being more bent than other :thumbsup: ) - that said personally I'd see the split as essentially being nighter crew / soul night people - I know at least all the guys I mix with tend to not feel they get a proper soul fix from a soul night (I almost never go to them unless it's warming up for a Saturday nighter or on the way to the nighter - at least when I AM going out)... Whereas soul night people for the most part tend to have always been soul night people and usually have never been big nighter goers - (before I get shot down in flames) I would of course say there are exceptions - equally for the most part I think the really rank oldies tend to get their spins at soul nights wheres in general the regular nighter crew tend to be more wary of overplaying etc coz they hear so much soul (both whilst out and pre and post-going out) and so quickly get sick of stuff that gets spun too often (the 'I love it but I'm pig sick of hearing it' factor - which of course applies, or SHOULD apply, to excess spins of new discoveries too).

Anyway not rocket science but it's what I think as a regular who's in hybernation

Dave

Edited by DaveNPete
Social source share

that said personally I'd see the split as essentially being nighter crew / soul night people - I know at least all the guys I mix with tend to not feel they get a proper soul fix from a soul night

Dave

Thats an interesting point, to which in part i would agree.

What i would question then is where do the 'mini-nighter' type nights come in - i'm referring here to nights that tend to run for about 6hrs, usually ending 2 / 3 o'clock, playing a mix of music - rare, forward thinking, some oldies / classics, underplayed.

In essence, nighter type music just not for as long

Social source share

Debbie - There Is Only One Scene That I Want To Belong To,

1. I Want To Enjoy The music I Like, & Perhaps Here The Odd Tune That Does Not Get Played :thumbup:

2. Dance When I Want To :thumbup:

3. Sit Quite When I Want To, Without Being Told I Look Fed Up angry.gif

4. Dress How I Want To :D

5. Have A Good Social With People I Like :thumbsup:

6. End A Conversation Quick, If A Tune Comes On That I Like To Dance To :yes:

7. Not Talk About The Following - Work, Circle Skirts, The Weather & The Price Of Goods :D

8. Go To The Ladies When I Want To Go :shhh:

9. Not Get Trapped In The Ladies Talking About Number 7 :thumbsup:

10.Dance Without Nearly Falling Over Due To A Camera Flash In My Eyes :hypo:

Do You Think That's Too Much To Ask??? :g:

Edited by parkash
Social source share

Debbie - There Is Only One Scene That I Want To Belong To,

1. I Want To Enjoy The music I Like, & Perhaps Here The Odd Tune That Does Not Get Played thumbsup.gif

2. Dance When I Want To thumbup.gif

3. Sit Quite When I Want To, Without Being Told I Look Fed Up angry.gif

4. Dress How I Want To biggrin.gif

5. Have A Good Social With People I Like whistling.gif

6. End A Conversation Quick, If A Tune Comes On That I Like To Dance To yes.gif

7. Not Talk About The Following - Work, Circle Skirts, The Weather & The Price Of Goods frusty2.gif

8. Go To The Ladies When I Want To Go shhh.gif

9. Not Get Trapped In The Ladies Talking About Number 7 tumbleweed3.gif

10.Dance Without Nearly Falling Over Due To A Camera Flash In My Eyes hypo.gif

Do You Think That's Too Much To Ask??? g.gif

I'm coming out with you then! thumbup.gif (as long as we get a good across the board mix of sounds)

Jayne.x.

Social source share

dont forget there are lots of promotors dj's that have tried so hard to give a real quality mix of the lot including a little modern am talking about my self for one !! we play or did play' quality rarer tunes oldies r&b the lot . and for me it turned out to be the worst thing i did because am sorry to say it' but it was mainly the oldies crowd that just wasn't prepared to listen to owt diferent and the rarer folks was just to thin on the ground always opting to go to the nighters or the biggest event on that played rarer tunes and yet i had some of the countrys best djs on for a month or two but it just didn't work , (yes i know before any body says there is lots trying to do the same thing i know there is !!!!) now my way of thinking is i like what i like and that includes some fantastic oldies that nothing will ever compare to . but i also like fresh!! rare !!cheap !!diferent !!whatever ? if i like it' i like it. but am never going to hear it at an oldies soul night only bloody back to back worn out pressings and its the pressings issue that has more to do with this subject than anything ,now i know they all dont play pressings but there is hell of a lot that do , if they had to play original records then the scene would be a lot more like it used to be .....quality tunes fresher tunes played at packed out venues evolving naturaly . ps: sorry about the poor spelling

Edited by steptoe
Social source share

dont forget there are lots of promotors dj's that have tried so hard to give a real quality mix of the lot including a little modern am talking about my self for one !! we play or did play' quality rarer tunes oldies r&b the lot . and for me it turned out to be the worst thing i did because am sorry to say it' but it was mainly the oldies crowd that just wasn't prepared to listen to owt diferent and the rarer folks was just to thin on the ground always opting to go to the nighters or the biggest event on that played rarer tunes and yet i had some of the countrys best djs on for a month or two but it just didn't work , (yes i know before any body says there is lots trying to do the same thing i know there is !!!!) now my way of thinking is i like what i like and that includes some fantastic oldies that nothing will ever compare to . but i also like fresh!! rare !!cheap !!diferent !!whatever ? if i like it' i like it. but am never going to hear it at an oldies soul night only bloody back to back worn out pressings and its the pressings issue that has more to do with this subject than anything ,now i know they all dont play pressings but there is hell of a lot that do , if they had to play original records then the scene would be a lot more like it used to be .....quality tunes fresher tunes played at packed out venues evolving naturaly . ps: sorry about the poor spelling

Eh up, Paul.

Are you my long lost brother????g.gif

I'm 1000% in agreement with you, it's the " I'm not bothered about the format so long as they dance"

brigade that have largely caused all this.

Classics are classics because they are, mostly, cracking tunes- but because they get played night after night on any piece of sh*t that gets a squeak out of a system they are hammered to f*cking death.

As I've said before- if you haven't the the tunes, or can employ DJs that have 'em YOU HAVE NO RIGHT to put on a so called Soul Night.

But hey, Fukkit-I'm a Snob.

Hope you're well mate- did you get the PM??

ATB

Tony

Social source share

now my way of thinking is i like what i like and that includes some fantastic oldies that nothing will ever compare to . but i also like fresh!! rare !!cheap !!diferent !!whatever ? if i like it' i like it. but am never going to hear it at an oldies soul night only bloody back to back worn out pressings and its the pressings issue that has more to do with this subject than anything ,now i know they all dont play pressings but there is hell of a lot that do , if they had to play original records then the scene would be a lot more like it used to be .....quality tunes fresher tunes played at packed out venues evolving naturaly . ps: sorry about the poor spelling

YEp, I TOtaLLy aGGree with THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup::thumbup::thumbsup:good.gif

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

There are of course numerous different interest groups and factions - though we're all of a soul bent (some of us being more bent than other thumbsup.gif ) - that said personally I'd see the split as essentially being nighter crew / soul night people - I know at least all the guys I mix with tend to not feel they get a proper soul fix from a soul night (I almost never go to them unless it's warming up for a Saturday nighter or on the way to the nighter - at least when I AM going out)... Whereas soul night people for the most part tend to have always been soul night people and usually have never been big nighter goers - (before I get shot down in flames) I would of course say there are exceptions - equally for the most part I think the really rank oldies tend to get their spins at soul nights wheres in general the regular nighter crew tend to be more wary of overplaying etc coz they hear so much soul (both whilst out and pre and post-going out) and so quickly get sick of stuff that gets spun too often (the 'I love it but I'm pig sick of hearing it' factor - which of course applies, or SHOULD apply, to excess spins of new discoveries too).

Anyway not rocket science but it's what I think as a regular who's in hybernation

Dave

True not rocket science. Funnily enough everyone who comes to our soul night are all big nighter goers, every last one of them. thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Eh up, Paul.

Are you my long lost brother????g.gif

I'm 1000% in agreement with you, it's the " I'm not bothered about the format so long as they dance"

brigade that have largely caused all this.

Classics are classics because they are, mostly, cracking tunes- but because they get played night after night on any piece of sh*t that gets a squeak out of a system they are hammered to f*cking death.

As I've said before- if you haven't the the tunes, or can employ DJs that have 'em YOU HAVE NO RIGHT to put on a so called Soul Night.

But hey, Fukkit-I'm a Snob.

Hope you're well mate- did you get the PM??

ATB

Tony

eh. up tony ......yes mate i got the pm thanks glad he's ok cheers for that , and yes am well. or still alive anyway lol thumbsup.gif yes could well be brothers but you came away with all the hair !!! in fact took my share sad.gif anyway tony being a soul snob aint as bad has having to walk around in a bullet proof jacket like i do these days am a figure of hate but i love it apart from the fact there nearly all pressings clubs around our way and they wont have me on huh.gif and i aint got 100 grands worth o tunes so i cant get on any nighters hardly ethere lollaugh.gifking.gif shot by both sides .............aniway take care tony hope to see you saterday at tonys clubgood.gif

Social source share

Thats an interesting point, to which in part i would agree.

What i would question then is where do the 'mini-nighter' type nights come in - i'm referring here to nights that tend to run for about 6hrs, usually ending 2 / 3 o'clock, playing a mix of music - rare, forward thinking, some oldies / classics, underplayed.

In essence, nighter type music just not for as long

That's for nighter crew who don't have access to decent 'enhancement' :thumbsup:

Anyway, modern, oldies, newies, underplayed... If you love the 'SOUL' in the music with a genuine passion you're 100% fine by me, and there IS a place for pure nostalgia jerking oldies (even at more 'progressive' dos on occasion) - just as long as they're treated and played with respect - not simply caned mindlessly for easy success.

D

PS The pressing issue - I firmly believe 'it's what's in the groove that counts' (though I collect originals myself) - trouble is that the term often tends to get trotted out by people that actually don't care enough about the music to BOTHER spending anything on it or taking the time to track down originals (and in turn don't have the drive/passion to look for tracks they don't know that are equally as good) - this is to me the crux of the orig/pressing issue in my eyes.

Edited by DaveNPete
Social source share

eh. up tony ......yes mate i got the pm thanks glad he's ok cheers for that , and yes am well. or still alive anyway lol thumbsup.gif yes could well be brothers but you came away with all the hair !!! in fact took my share sad.gif anyway tony being a soul snob aint as bad has having to walk around in a bullet proof jacket like i do these days am a figure of hate but i love it apart from the fact there nearly all pressings clubs around our way and they wont have me on huh.gif and i aint got 100 grands worth o tunes so i cant get on any nighters hardly ethere lol ,having said that am half way there shot by both sides .............aniway take care tony hope to see you saterday at tonys clubgood.gif

done somthing wrong here god knows what but iv'e ended up puting the same thing on twice sorry folks .... but i can asure you there is lots of people that collect originals that do take the time and comitment in tracking fresh tunes down and spend the money and in my opinion most folks (not all) but most that buy original records do have the pasion and SPEND THE CASH or may be they dont ? but i know one thing .... I DO !!!!

Edited by steptoe
Social source share

That's for nighter crew who don't have access to decent 'enhancement' :shhh:

Anyway, modern, oldies, newies, underplayed... If you love the 'SOUL' in the music with a genuine passion you're 100% fine by me, and there IS a place for pure nostalgia jerking oldies (even at more 'progressive' dos on occasion) - just as long as they're treated and played with respect - not simply caned mindlessly for easy success.

D

PS The pressing issue - I firmly believe 'it's what's in the groove that counts' (though I collect originals myself) - trouble is that the term often tends to get trotted out by people that actually don't care enough about the music to BOTHER spending anything on it or taking the time to track down originals (and in turn don't have the drive/passion to look for tracks they don't know that are equally as good) - this is to me the crux of the orig/pressing issue in my eyes.

And to me therein is the whole problem- if-insert name- can't be bothered to look for the tunes what Right do they have in promoting a night in an already oversubscribed market??

Pressing merchants are not part of the Problem-they're ALL of it.

Dancefloor Warrior- I can fill a dancefloor, me.

Me-So can any f*ckin' balloon doing THAT!

Tony

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert