Bobby Long And The Dealers

NEV

Hi all

Have this and played it out a few weeks back

Am posting up because 1st time i heard this i had to have it ,but confess i have never heard it played anywhere before??

Admittedly i aint the most travelled soul but keep a eye on things and an ear to the ground.

So is it getting spun anywhere or is it a forgotten oldie that was popular at one time??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUDT5BDm6V8&feature=related

Atb thumbsup.gif Nev

Social source share

• Replies 12
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Played it a few times at the Attic over the last 3 years Nev before I sold it to KevH

Picked it up at a local market for £2, Mint a while ago - bargainwicked.gif Hadnt heard it before that so dont know any history although talking to lots of people - the ones that knew it were thin on the groundmellow.gif

Social source share

Played it a few times at the Attic over the last 3 years Nev before I sold it to KevH

Picked it up at a local market for £2, Mint a while ago - bargain:wicked: Hadnt heard it before that so dont know any history although talking to lots of people - the ones that knew it were thin on the ground:mellow:

Cheers Steve,the best 4 quid i've ever spentthumbsup.gif

Social source share

A great group record, but the one thing I would say with regards to playing it in a club is that it's actually quite difficult to dance to; something it has in common with a lot of other Crossover records like Jimmie Ellis on Century City. They're both great soul records and it's nice to hear them loud, but they don't have enough push or variation in the bass playing to truly be classed as dance records. Just a personal opinion.

I have another 45 by Bobby Long on Everlast which I assume is the same chap.

Social source share

A great group record, but the one thing I would say with regards to playing it in a club is that it's actually quite difficult to dance to; something it has in common with a lot of other Crossover records like Jimmie Ellis on Century City. They're both great soul records and it's nice to hear them loud, but they don't have enough push or variation in the bass playing to truly be classed as dance records. Just a personal opinion.

I have another 45 by Bobby Long on Everlast which I assume is the same chap.

Hi Gareth, I am sure you remember a full floor swaying friom side to side and singing along to the chorus at the Raynescourt? shhh.gif

Social source share

Indeed Steve. Swaying and singing along has its time and place. That time and place is the Raynscourt in April.

Playing these loping crossover tunes in less intimate venues can be fraught with difficulties: it's no accident that the bigger crossover sounds on the Northern scene recently have been more straighforward dancers: faster or funkier or just more 'linear'. See my comments about the Roy Roberts 45 on Sugar on the other thread. When that was first played to me I judged it alongside records like these and thought it was a lot of money for a 45 that I would tire of hearing at home pretty quickly. Hearing it played out and watching people dance to it was an entirely different matter: it then made total sense.

I do however think It is important that there are still venues where the 'non-danceable' soul records can be played and enjoyed.

Social source share

Hi all

Have this and played it out a few weeks back

Am posting up because 1st time i heard this i had to have it ,but confess i have never heard it played anywhere before??

Admittedly i aint the most travelled soul but keep a eye on things and an ear to the ground.

So is it getting spun anywhere or is it a forgotten oldie that was popular at one time??

https://www.youtube.c...feature=related

Atb thumbsup.gif Nev

I used to play it out a few years back. First niter I played it at was my one and only guest spot at Tony's, Balckburn in December 1996.

Phil

Social source share

I played it at the DDA when me and Kevin were on Joan, yes.gif

great record !

I was there Jeff and although i did'nt remember you play this particular tune ,i do remember you doin a blinding spot that night budthumbsup.gif

Which shocked me really laugh.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert