Roy Roberts - So Much In Love

Tommaso

Hi everybody, I'm asking more for curiosity than real interest, as I mostly collect r&b and, anyway, I don't think this is even near my price range, but I love this tune like no others in this moment!

So, is it a rarity like I suppose? Who's playing it apart from Marco Santucci and Butch?

Thanks!

Social source share

• Replies 32
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Guest Byrney

but I love this tune like no others in this moment!

Thanks!

It is such a F^%king good dance record. One of those I'd be proud to play to someone not on the scene to get their interest :thumbup:

Edited by Byrney
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I wonder if we're talking about the same version here. I haven't heard the one Butch is playing but the only So Much In Love - Roy Roberts i know is mid-tempo Barry White sound-a-like and not very good. Can't be the same one. Anyone got a soundfile of the one being discussed?

Social source share

I wonder if we're talking about the same version here. I haven't heard the one Butch is playing but the only So Much In Love - Roy Roberts i know is mid-tempo Barry White sound-a-like and not very good. Can't be the same one. Anyone got a soundfile of the one being discussed?

Definitely not the same Matt. This is piss ya pants fantastic :yes: i can sing it to you if you want, but it may lose a bit from the original :D

Edited by Dave Abbott
Social source share

I cannot remember when I got this (2 or 3 years ago?) and palyed it when i got the opportunity and seems a few are palying it now.

This is a cracking tune that deserves maximum airplay...

í…½s it really that long ago ? Seem to remember they all (weren`t that many though) came from one and the same source. And no, Mr. Roberts had none left..

Marc

Social source share

í…½s it really that long ago ? Seem to remember they all (weren`t that many though) came from one and the same source. And no, Mr. Roberts had none left..

Marc

That's correct and time wise I can pin down when I got my copy to an alldayer at The Bass Museum, Burton, when Andy dyson turned up with it. It's probably longer ago than we think as they haven't been any there for at least 2 years now. It was after Roy's UK appearance as no one knew of it then. When it started getting played everyone thought they'd ring Roy up and get it but Roy as you say had none left.

Social source share

Roy Roberts re-cut it, I think I'm right in saying on a couple of occasions, in the 90s and in the current decade. The more modern versions are quite different, slower and less dance-oriented, with programmed percussion and also on CD only.

When the Sugar 45 was played to me before hearing it in a club I was quite nonplussed: I think the word I used was 'moronic'. Add the ingredients of a dancefloor and a pounding sound-system and it's an entirely different proposition. Deservedly one of the biggest spins around at the moment.

Social source share

That's correct and time wise I can pin down when I got my copy to an alldayer at The Bass Museum, Burton, when Andy dyson turned up with it. It's probably longer ago than we think as they haven't been any there for at least 2 years now. It was after Roy's UK appearance as no one knew of it then. When it started getting played everyone thought they'd ring Roy up and get it but Roy as you say had none left.

Quite a few copies came from our good friend in the Carolinas i think. Love it, but for me, as happens with many great tunes, its being battered at the moment. Heard it twice at last lifeline then weekend after twice at another club ans so on...lets not wear it out too quickly. Guess its a victim of djs arriving just for their spot and not listening to whats gone before.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Marc

To be honest Marc, My memory is not great on how long I have had anything. Can't be far off though. The problem is when you've got something this good you just gotta play it. Personally a new record being played twice in 8 or 9 hours is not that bad really..is it?

Social source share

Hi Guy's

Here's my contribution to this thread.

The majority of the copies of "Roy Robert's So Much In Love" turned up in 2006 through Andy Dyson via one of his contacts stateside.

Circa the same time, I turned three copies up directly from Roy, as at the time we had just released his " If You Can't Put It Out (Don't Light My Fire) 45, aswell as setting him up with the gig at Prestatyn

I kept a copy for my collection, one copy stayed in the UK and the other copy went to the Far East.

Mind you, it's a good job they're vinyl and not styrene as they came through the letterbox in just a beige paper envelope with no packersunsure.gif

Dave Welding

Social source share

To be honest Marc, My memory is not great on how long I have had anything. Can't be far off though. The problem is when you've got something this good you just gotta play it. Personally a new record being played twice in 8 or 9 hours is not that bad really..is it?

Defnitely not mate, especially not if it is as good as this beauty of a record! Its a fantastic 45 and I only wished there would be more like this being "re-found" and played.

Social source share

Hi Guy's

Here's my contribution to this thread.

The majority of the copies of "Roy Robert's So Much In Love" turned up in 2006 through Andy Dyson via one of his contacts stateside.

Circa the same time, I turned three copies up directly from Roy, as at the time we had just released his " If You Can't Put It Out (Don't Light My Fire) 45, aswell as setting him up with the gig at Prestatyn

I kept a copy for my collection, one copy stayed in the UK and the other copy went to the Far East.

Mind you, it's a good job they're vinyl and not styrene as they came through the letterbox in just a beige paper envelope with no packersunsure.gif

Dave Welding

There you go Dave. I was'nt that far out considering..You and me are like a Topic bar, Always get there in the end!!

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

its a victim of djs arriving just for their spot and not listening to whats gone before.

now ain't that the truth...

Social source share

Quite a few copies came from our good friend in the Carolinas i think. Love it, but for me, as happens with many great tunes, its being battered at the moment. Heard it twice at last lifeline then weekend after twice at another club ans so on...lets not wear it out too quickly. Guess its a victim of djs arriving just for their spot and not listening to whats gone before.

You know i try not to get embroiled with these threads anymore but as for this getting hammered and being played twice the same night at lifeline,then lifeline ain't for you you cos this is the kinda tune we're trying to break and it needs a handfull of dj's to play them ! it's a pretty damn good discovery and as for there being more copies than people think mmmmm.... send em my way please ,think people will find there aren't any copies to buy cos the guy who found em for me is stand on and trustworthy and i certainly haven't had a sniff of one since from any other source.

Social source share

You know i try not to get embroiled with these threads anymore but as for this getting hammered and being played twice the same night at lifeline,then lifeline ain't for you you cos this is the kinda tune we're trying to break and it needs a handfull of dj's to play them ! it's a pretty damn good discovery and as for there being more copies than people think mmmmm.... send em my way please ,think people will find there aren't any copies to buy cos the guy who found em for me is stand on and trustworthy and i certainly haven't had a sniff of one since from any other source.

Well put Andy. I think this is a bit like the multiple copies of every Shrine Release, Every big Detroit and West coast record coming out of that Warehouse in CA..laugh.gif

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

On this one I don't think that has owt to do with it. It got played more than once cause it's F****kin Awesome man!!!!!!!

I have to agree, it is rather special. In this day and age I can't imagine another vintage record this good being discovered ever again...

Was it Cliff Steele who said this is the standard by which all future discoveries will be judged? That's about the sum of it...

Hopefully it stays as rare as it is so it doesn't get cooked to death like Hamilton Movement was.

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert