Hop Skip And Jump

I was going through a box of tunes at home on Sunday passing a bit of time and playing some stuff i've not played out in a while, as you do.

Came across a couple of tunes which to my dissmay had skips / jumps in them!

Positive they didnt have them when i bought the record angry.gif

Once i'd got over the fact that these flaws had somehow 'magically' developed, i did the usual trick of playing around with weight or adding a 5pence piece to the top of teh cartridge to overcome the annoyance of skipping records.

However, for one of them, this didnt work. I had the weight on 3.5 plus the 5pence piece but still a jump, ggrrrrrrrr.

The record itself isn't overly expensive, mid to top end of the double figures bracket........but..........

Other than replacing it, do you have any more tricks of the trade to overcome such a problem?

Anyone else had occasions where these flaws seem to randomly develop without any memorable incident which might have caused it?

Your offerings welcome

Azza

Social source share

• Replies 15
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest carl_p

yes, first check the turntable tonearm and stylus. if everything is normal then i recommend using a 15x jewelers loupe and a sharp sewing needle to dislodge the obstructed groove. I've fixed literally hundreds of skips this way not to mention removed quite a few pops and clicks. It takes a little practice, good eyes, good lighting and a steady hand. Watching the record skip on the turntable will narrow it down as to the location.

Social source share

Guest carl_p

agree with the others that it's probably your stylus, but plesae,please don't put weights on the cartridge, even 5 p's! you will f**k up the record eventually, if you have to do that then something else is wrong, and it is usually the stylus

cheers

garythumbsup.gif

i agree, not a great idea to put too much extra weigth. once got a willie picket on eastern from a friend and he had tried to force the needle thru the skip and it ripped most of the music from the grooves........... it did fix the skip.

Edited by carl_p
Social source share

Guest carl_p

I had a very tasty tune last week but it sticks rather than jumps forward. I have tried to wind the needle back, put extra weight on needle etc but still get the same result. I can see some light scratches on the vinyl and i assume its one of these that is snagging the needle....

Any advice?

Chris

again, buy a 15 x jewlers loupe on ebay and use a sewing needle. you can see the grooves perfectly. it's cheap and easy and doesn't ruin the record. i was only unable to fix a few skips but those were generally g condition records with deep gouges.

Social source share

I had a very tasty tune last week but it sticks rather than jumps forward. I have tried to wind the needle back, put extra weight on needle etc but still get the same result. I can see some light scratches on the vinyl and i assume its one of these that is snagging the needle....

Any advice?

Chris

I've got exactly the same thing with a record I just got, but there is absolutely no mark/scratch/or blemish on the styrene (it's detroit!) where the stick is. Have tried winding back etc but still the same. Grrr!!

Rich

Social source share

worn styluses skip more - when did you last replace it? Diamond tipped styluses are supposed to last 1000 playing hours, but i imagine that's for nice clean LPs - playing 45s probably reduces that figure.

and Sapphire tipped styluses (such as often come on the free cartridge supplied with a turntable) only last 300-500 hours

Social source share

worn styluses skip more - when did you last replace it? Diamond tipped styluses are supposed to last 1000 playing hours, but i imagine that's for nice clean LPs - playing 45s probably reduces that figure.

and Sapphire tipped styluses (such as often come on the free cartridge supplied with a turntable) only last 300-500 hours

It certainly hasnt seen 300 hours yet.

gonna give my other turntable a go and see what happens, thanks for the tip on stylus though.

And good advice from all so far, extreeeeemly useful.

Not sure i trust myself with a sewing needle on my vinyl though :unsure:

Social source share

Any advice?

Chris

Chris

A trick I picked up years ago with a "Sticking" record - LIGHTEN the needle.

It doesn't seem to work if the record jumps forward, but usually works if it jumps back, ie "sticks"

Cheers

Mick

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert