I Want One

warb

• Replies 28
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Guest posstot

type" ivories wand" into utube,how much is this?,how many copys known?.is one for sale.

If you mean the "please stay", the copy you have seen is an ultra rare issueing of an "oliver" recording/issue. Which isn't so rare but indemand.....at a couple of hundred?? or a little less. The Wand issue is a wierd and a rare one that i hadn't heard of, or seen, for that matter.

At least i think that is the case. Someone else is bound to add there two pennies worth...which will quite honestly, probably, be more acurate than my waffling on!!biggrin.gif

Mike

Social source share

The Wand release is very rare, dont know the story behind it but I'm sure that Mick Smith has it as I believe that he has the complete set ? or does he ????

In the Wand listing, it lists that the Just Brothers '' Carlena '' was also released on Wand, but I have never seen one or know anyone who has ???????

Unless anyone knows better !!!! now theres a challenge !!! with scans

Social source share

I suggest you to buy the Despenza copy, 600-700£ should be enough! Wand copy is a true holy grail, probably in the top 10 of rarest NS records!

I've heard someone got the Wand copy on ebay for 4.99$ buy it now though, is it true??? whistling.gif

John Kelly the Scouse-Manc got a Wand copy off ebay as a buy it now.

I'm sure he told me it was $6 though :wicked:

Social source share

Guest posstot

If you mean the "please stay", the copy you have seen is an ultra rare issueing of an "oliver" recording/issue. Which isn't so rare but indemand.....at a couple of hundred?? or a little less. The Wand issue is a wierd and a rare one that i hadn't heard of, or seen, for that matter.

At least i think that is the case. Someone else is bound to add there two pennies worth...which will quite honestly, probably, be more acurate than my waffling on!!biggrin.gif

Mike

I told you I'd be right about being wrong at least.

Social source share

I think 3 times, as there's a variation similar to the one on the right but with smaller text! High hopes from the producers!

Anyone have a scan of the Wand release - Benji?

Was issued twice on Despenza?

330286332299.jpg230261146834.jpg

Edited by monster
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

So you can pay either £700 for a Despenza issue or £1500 for it on Wand. What's your reaction Warb? :chinstroke:

I don't have one to sell btw... :sad:

Social source share

I think 3 times, as there's a variation similar to the one on the right but with smaller text! High hopes from the producers!

Being that there were at least 3 different chicago pressings, would suggest it sold well enough locally to tempt Wand into releasing it, why they never went beyond demo stage is probably the same reason why a lot regional "hits" picked up by fairly big labels faltered, mob money, tax write-off, or lack of funds.

Social source share

Being that there were at least 3 different chicago pressings, would suggest it sold well enough locally to tempt Wand into releasing it, why they never went beyond demo stage is probably the same reason why a lot regional "hits" picked up by fairly big labels faltered, mob money, tax write-off, or lack of funds.

Is it MY mince-pies then, Tony.. or yours ?? :rolleyes:

Looking at the scan Simsy posted.. It's an ISSUE !?! :boxing:

Fingers.. shades

Oh - and Mick Smith, having a complete collection of Wand numbers.. Has he got Ed Bruce's 'I'm Gonna Have A Party' (Wand 156) ?? Which is also a seriously rare 45.. :good: If not - does he wanna buy one ?? :ph34r:whistling

Ac-tu-a-ll-y.. Bit of a 'Brainwave' just came on - a perfect part-trade..

against his issue of Gene Toons he's looking to unload. :unsure::mellow::smile::thumbup:

Fingers shades

Social source share

yes, this was a local hit ('please stay') nobody represses a record a million times based off of "hope"

Social source share

I was including P&P tongue.gif

It actually cost him $3.50 But It Now and $6.00 postage and packing.

Sold it for either £1300 or £1500 to a well known dealer, who I believe then sold it on for more than £3000.

I can check the details of that last sentence with John if anybody's interested?

Social source share

There is a third variation on the Despenza label- the release # is 470 and looks like the label on the left with

Melvin's name on it shown in post #17.

Don't own a copy - it is mentioned in the Soul Harmony book by Hunt, Kline and Beck.

Edited by the yank
Social source share

Amazed at how much innacurate stuff there is on this thread.

No Mick Smith doesn't have every Wand release, no, Carlena doesn't exist on Wand as far as anyone is aware. And Ed Bruce is hard to find but isn't as rare as the Ivories Fingers. It does show up although it also fetches a lot of money.

There's three or four copies of the Ivories known on Wand, and the last one went for £1,300 ish, not some of the numbers mentioned on here.

As for the other copies of The Ivories, probably thrown out, or sitting in someone's basement somewhere......

Edited by Steve G
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Amazed at how much innacurate stuff there is on this thread.

No Mick Smith doesn't have every Wand release, no, Carlena doesn't exist on Wand as far as anyone is aware. And Ed Bruce is hard to find but isn't as rare as the Ivories Fingers . It does show up although it also fetches a lot of money.

There's three or four copies of the Ivories known on Wand, and the last one went for £1,300 ish, not some of the numbers mentioned on here.

As for the other copies of The Ivories, probably thrown out, or sitting in someone's basement somewhere......

I take it, by that, you are telling me.. and not that I've mislead peeps with the wording of my post, Steve ?? thumbsup.gif

Fingers.. smile.gif

Social source share

I heard the same Wand release thing about the Honeybees on Garrison as well? Is that also untrue Steve?

Also, I thought the Walter Wilson was the hardest Wand?

Yes Honey Bees has never turned up, though like Just Brothers it did get a release number. One day someone may turn one up, but I suspect these were just numbers given to the records and that Scepter went instead with the Garrison inprint at the end of the day. One Garrison release that did come out on Wand however was "Humphrey stomp".

Walter Wilson yes a Wand holy grail. I know of Mick Smith's which is cracked, mine and Soul Sam's. I am sure one or two other hands will go up as they always do , but it was apparantly pulled from release post pressing due to a contractual dispute and never got out of the offices, except for the engineer / producer etc.

There are some other really hard ones too such as J Kelly & The Premiers in the 70s which was mispressed and re-put out on Roadshow. I'd imagine that most of them got smashed. I've never seen the second Lee Charles or the second Reflection 45s either - think it was called "Four walls and a phone" or something. ANother one I've not seen from the 60s is Jesse Hill. And one of MAxine's later efforts is also a mystery. All of this makes Wand such a Delite-ful label to collect :boxing:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert