Snaith - The Highwaymans Halt

Guest Nick Harrison

Guest Nick Harrison

Anyone else currently on here have very fond memories of this venue, opened it doors twice (late seventies and early eighties), by Arthur Fenn. All dayers earlier and then the successfull fortnightly sessions which championed and provided the latest rare soul and the best album tracks at that time. A host of jocks played for the purists and the dancers which included Richard, Sam , Mario, Poke, Pat Brady, Gary Rushbrooke, Dave Raistrick, Steve Mannion and Paul Collinson. Had many regulars which included Glyn Thornhill, Steve Guarnori and Rod Dearlove to name just a few.

I hope this topic has not already been addressed, if so well no harm done wicked.gif .

Snaith - sure was an encouraging venue that delivered lots of promise and was noted for it's musical direction at the time.

Any comments and further posts are seriously welcomed.

Thanks.

Edited by Nick Harrison
Social source share

• Replies 39
  • Views 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I spoke to Arthur about this recently funny enough, but as usual I was inebriated and forget the details. I seem to remember going to one all dayer (around 80 I would have though) where it was mixture of upfront sounds (60's/70's) and one soul night where it was pretty much all new release stuff which I though was post Wigan and therefore post 81, however think Arthur queried my dates, and he should know, being the clear brained and intelligent bloke he is...... over to you Arthur,

Steve G did Blackbeat not feature something about this? I really think you need to get this reprinted young man, in glossy cover, it would blow people away by just how good (and funny) it was, think I might start an online petition for the reprints of Blackbeat!! :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest Awake 502

Yes remember it well, a great end to a weekend. A lot of the newies at the time were tried out at Snaith before being played at Wigan etc. I distinctly remember Richard hammering Skip Mahoney there. A couple of the real big sounds at the time were Z.Z. & Co, still covered as Oscar Perry and Greater Experience... Happy days....

and they did a great sausage sarnie too :yes:

Edited by Awake 502
Social source share

Yes remember it well, a great end to a weekend. A lot of the newies at the time were tried out at Snaith before being played at Wigan etc. I distinctly remember Richard hammering Skip Mahoney there. A couple of the real big sounds at the time were Z.Z. & Co, still covered as Oscar Perry and Greater Experience... Happy days....

and they did a great sausage sarnie too yes.gif

Hi Darren, can you remember dates, were there two different promotions over then years? Arthur is obviously either golfing or off in Europe being an international DJ star! :yes::thumbsup:

Social source share

i think there could be some real slash and cut editing if BB did get reprinted Jocko :yes:

Nah sure Steve won't mind him being quoted as saying Northern Soul is dead.......

Cmon Steve I promise I won't mention it again if you publish, you only have money to lose.... :thumbsup:

Seriously great mag, maybe one of the best, maybe you could serialise some of the reviews on here as front page stuff,if Mike was okay with that. Itwould make great reading of a time when most assume wrongly the scene had gone into hibernation and a great time when all music was played, although not embraced all by sides evenly... biggrin.gif

Social source share

Guest Bearsoul

GOD THAT'S A BLAST FROM THE PAST ! PACO GET ON HERE AND TELL US !!!!!!! CASSENELLIS ANYONE ? ( DOUBT IF I'VE SPELT THAT RIGHT !!!)

Social source share

Guest Awake 502

Hi Darren, can you remember dates, were there two different promotions over then years? Arthur is obviously either golfing or off in Europe being an international DJ star! :thumbsup:laugh.gif

I think it was 1979 / 1980, Frank Elson did a brief write up in Blues and Soul. There were a couple of saturday night do's too but Blackpool Mecca started again around the same time with Richard etc so we all used to go there and make a day of it. Used to get to Wigan around 2am just as Russ was ending his spot so good timing as well. :yes:

Not sure if Barty and Colly are on here still but they will have good memories of the time...

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

I spoke to Arthur about this recently funny enough, but as usual I was inebriated and forget the details. I seem to remember going to one all dayer (around 80 I would have though) where it was mixture of upfront sounds (60's/70's) and one soul night where it was pretty much all new release stuff which I though was post Wigan and therefore post 81, however think Arthur queried my dates, and he should know, being the clear brained and intelligent bloke he is...... over to you Arthur,

Hi Jocko, would agree with you on the above dates, dayers ran 1979/80 ish (60/70's) and then fortnightly sessions late 1981? early 82 as I remember attending Snaith and then onto either the KGB niter (reactivated back then by Alan Senior and Steve Croft) or Cleethorpes niter which was def 1982.

But like you say over to Arthur.................................... :yes: .

Cheers,

Nick.

Social source share

Guest aintgotit

Went once pretty sure it was a bank holiday sunday, cos when we missed the last train back to leeds,(didnt even bother findin out the time it was due ) .a walk and hitch followed , and a taxi from garforth i think, to land in city station at four in the mornin ,which was packed with punks and goths who,d been to the futurama festival ,screaming adoration at assorted popperatti such as adam and the ants, the redskins , less well knowns, discharge and 999, cult heros CRASS and , considerably lower down the order of merit these days, im really down with the kids man! Paul Gadd. ....... Coppers everywhere kickin anything remotely resembling a prostrate human being , despite the fact no=one was leaving the place till at least six o clock.. i think we returned home from Leeds on the wednesday morning .thanks to the saintly intervention and hospitality of St Margaret, Kelly that is.x

Social source share

GOD THAT'S A BLAST FROM THE PAST ! PACO GET ON HERE AND TELL US !!!!!!! CASSENELLIS ANYONE ? ( DOUBT IF I'VE SPELT THAT RIGHT !!!)

No idea if you have spelt it right, but ya I used to go.

I used to mate around with Ian Gillabrand back than, there was a big posse of girls from Accrington that used to go.

P.S. Thanks for the CD at Gisburn.thumbsup.gif

Edited by davetay
Social source share

Guest aintgotit

Went once pretty sure it was a bank holiday sunday, cos when we missed the last train back to leeds,(didnt even bother findin out the time it was due ) .a walk and hitch followed , and a taxi from garforth i think, to land in city station at four in the mornin ,which was packed with punks and goths who,d been to the futurama festival ,screaming adoration at assorted popperatti such as adam and the ants, the redskins , less well knowns, discharge and 999, cult heros CRASS and , considerably lower down the order of merit these days, im really down with the kids man! Paul Gadd. ....... Coppers everywhere kickin anything remotely resembling a prostrate human being , despite the fact no=one was leaving the place till at least six o clock.. i think we returned home from Leeds on the wednesday morning .thanks to the saintly intervention and hospitality of St Margaret, Kelly that is.x

i know the nomads were played ,along with damon fox, my outright favourites at the time.

Social source share

I think it was 1979 / 1980, Frank Elson did a brief write up in Blues and Soul. There were a couple of saturday night do's too but Blackpool Mecca started again around the same time with Richard etc so we all used to go there and make a day of it. Used to get to Wigan around 2am just as Russ was ending his spot so good timing as well. whistling

Not sure if Barty and Colly are on here still but they will have good memories of the time...

At last someone else who remembers Richard starting up the Mecca again.

I was begining to think I had dreamed it.:wink:

Social source share

Guest aintgotit

i know the nomads were played ,along with damon fox, my outright favourites at the time.

wasnt that down some stairs at side of the corn exchange. .past the central .

Social source share

Anyone else currently on here have very fond memories of this venue, opened it doors twice (late seventies and early eighties), by Arthur Fenn. All dayers earlier and then the successfull fortnightly sessions which championed and provided the latest rare soul and the best album tracks at that time. A host of jocks played for the purists and the dancers which included Richard, Sam , Mario, Poke, Pat Brady, Gary Rushbrooke, Dave Raistrick, Steve Mannion and Paul Collinson. Had many regulars which included Glyn Thornhill, Steve Guarnori and Rod Dearlove to name just a few.

I hope this topic has not already being addressed, if so well no harm done :wicked: .

Snaith - sure was an encouraging venue that delivered lots of promise and was noted for it's musical direction at the time.

Any comments and further posts are welcomed.

Thanks.

Hi Nick, no I never went there.

I asked about it in the William Powell thread, because it did not ring any bells at all.

It sounds like it was a good night out.

Dave.

Social source share

I loved the Highwaymans halt, Sam played King Tutt there for the first time, and obviously liked the intro so much he started it twice! My wife (of the time) told me that in one of the ladies toilets there was some gaffitti that read "Snaith has the Greater Experience" - I believe Arthur had the only one/was the only one playing it, at the time. Amused me then, still does.

Great venue.

best,

RB

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

Never made it , but the first ever tape I got from Soul Sam was entitled " Snaith Sounds" . Twas great thumbsup.gif

Simon - did your Snaith Sounds contain a smattering of these and many "not yet established" sounds played very early 1982.

James Bynum - Get On Up Be A Star (cover up)

Edd Tibes - Gonna Make It With You (cover up)

Richie Cee - Ship Like Our Friendship (Happy Beat)

Oscar Perry - Just What You Ordered (Yellow Horizon)

Target - Give Me One More Chance (Kama)

Myth Micheals - Push It (We 4)

Barbara Stant - Youve Got To Try It Again (Shiptown)

Magnetic Touch - Is It Wrong (Pickin Post)

Verdell Watts - I Got a Crush On You (cover up)

Merlin And Magic - Under Your Spell (cover up)

Carlyle Miller - Im Not A Fool To Love You (WAM)

and many other including Jan Jones, Luckey Davis, Gemini, Lamar Thomas, Troy Johnson, Timless Legend, George Frye, Tony Fox, Lynn Cavaugh, Chuck Robertson, Chuck Simmons, brand new 12's by Garfield Fleming (Becket) and Goldie Alexander (Chaz) and album tracks by Richard Dimple Fields on Broadwalk etc, etc, etc.

Great stuff.

Edited by Nick Harrison
Social source share

I went a couple of times during 1980 as a young 15 year old,remember all the older soulies asking me if i were into oldies or newies and daft as a brush i replied Northern Soul.So what do you call this thats getting played now then someone asked.The records being played were Skip Mahoney's --Janice followed by Omni--Keys to the city under a cover up name.My big mouth mate loudly replied where we come from mate we call this DISCO.I have been educated a bit since then.Remember the venue was a bit of a dive and the local village morons hated the soulies but the place was full of top soulies from far and wide returning from nighters.

Social source share

Guest Perception

At last someone else who remembers Richard starting up the Mecca again.

I was begining to think I had dreamed it.wink.gif

I remember going to the Highland room in !980 on the Saturday night, I remember it was quality sounds all evening.

I went to a the all dayers at Snaith, because the DJ line up was excellent and always heard loads of news sounds.

I saw an original of Al Williams for £25 there, and did not buy it!! It seemed a lot of money then!

Social source share

I hope this topic has not already being addressed, if so well no harm done wicked.gif .

Any comments and further posts are welcomed.

Thanks.

I cannot agree with your post more : The HH was a highly creditable venue , and is still highly thought of by those of us who attended .

Malc Burton

Social source share

Simon - did your Snaith Sounds contain a smattering of these and many "not yet established" sounds played very early 1982.

James Bynum - Get On Up Be A Star (cover up)

Edd Tibes - Gonna Make It With You (cover up)

Richie Cee - Ship Like Our Friendship (Happy Beat)

Oscar Perry - Just What You Ordered (Yellow Horizon)

Target - Give Me One More Chance (Kama)

Myth Micheals - Push It (We 4)

Barbara Stant - Youve Got To Try It Again (Shiptown)

Magnetic Touch - Is It Wrong (Pickin Post)

Verdell Watts - I Got a Crush On You (cover up)

Merlin And Magic - Under Your Spell (cover up)

Carlyle Miller - Im Not A Fool To Love You (WAM)

and many other including Jan Jones, Luckey Davis, Gemini, Lamar Thomas, Troy Johnson, Timless Legend, George Frye, Tony Fox, Lynn Cavaugh, Chuck Robertson, Chuck Simmons, brand new 12's by Garfield Fleming (Becket) and Goldie Alexander (Chaz) and album tracks by Richard Dimple Fields on Broadwalk etc, etc, etc.

Great stuff.

Yeah some of em Nick . I always remember Allan Harris , Larom Baker and Willie Darrington from the tape ( sad to say I lost over 100 tapes to an ex girlfriend ,some live venue recordings too ) sad.gif:wicked:

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

I hope this topic has not already been addressed, if so well no harm done wicked.gif .

Any comments and further posts are seriously welcomed.

Thanks.

Twas seriously underestimated Nick. A groundbreaking small, but perfectly formed venue . First place I heard sounds such as Detroit Sounds Of Friction, ( which has stood the test of time ) and Larom Baker , You 're The Best on the lovely titled The Record Comapny.

Have toyed with the idea of covering this venue in a history of modern soul clubs along with the more established bastions as it was innovative at the time loking back in hindsight...

How you enjoying premiership now you 've left us championship minnions.. rolleyes.gif:wicked:

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

Yeah some of em Nick . I always remember Allan Harris , Larom Baker and Willie Darrington from the tape ( sad to say I lost over 100 tapes to an ex girlfriend ,some live venue recordings too ) sad.gifsad.gif

Simon - sorry to hear about the above much valued loss of your C90's...........................and I bet the young lady left you with the remaining tapes containing Micheal Smith ph34r.gif .

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

Have toyed with the idea of covering this venue in a history of modern soul clubs along with the more established bastions as it was innovative at the time loking back in hindsight...

How you enjoying premiership now you 've left us championship minnions.. rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

Glyn - please do include HH in the history of MS venues, it was a bench mark. I always remember reading the reviews some weeks later after attending Snaith, in your own editored/fanzine OKEH Northern Soul along with Steve's Blackbeat, as you both shared valued contributors John Smith, Mike Ward, Sam and Neil Page or maybe not Neil g.gif.

We will always be the minnions in the premiership.....................LOL - now you would not let us have Marcus Tudgay, but to beat your rivals would have greatly pleased your goodself Glyn.

Regards,

Nick.

Edited by Nick Harrison
Social source share

Hi Darren, can you remember dates, were there two different promotions over then years? Arthur is obviously either golfing or off in Europe being an international DJ star! :laugh::laugh:

Just give me a few hrs to recover from a very soulful weekend in La Rochelle & i'll dust my diary off & try shed a bit of light on H/halt thumbsup.gif

Social source share

My most famous trip was to an evening do on a Friday. I was living in Kent. Left work early and got the 5 30-ish Hull train from Kings Cross to Goole.....thence by Bus from Goole to the Highwaymans, I was there before 8 and it hadn't opened.

A great night ensued, Poke, Arthur, Sam etc. and at the end of the night at about 1 am or 2 am, no way of getting back. So I cobbled a lift in Sam's car (the blue Vauxhall Chevette), and he kindly ran me to Doncaster station. From there I got a night train at about 3.15 am full of both drunk and fast alseep Scots and Geordies! Back to London by 7 am, across town, and on another train to Tonbridge, and I was still home at Mum's in time for a late breakfast!!!

And you tell the kids that today, and they won't believe you!

Social source share

A great venue, great people, great sounds, great times.

Superstar Lady, Torture, Over the top, and many more previously mentioned.

Cider drinkers delight in the afternoon.

The sexy Goole girls.............

God Benson as the driving instructor.

So much new material I suppose it was the closest to the mecca format for years.

Ed

Social source share

Guest DeeJay

Sorry to get off track here but "Maggie Kelly rings a bell Did she have some brothers Mike? If so i've thought about them for many years but lost contact

DJ

Social source share

Guest topcatnumpty1

Went to a couple of these,great memories and at the time loads of newies,Velvet hammer-Happy- springs to mind.

The Highway Mans Halt---God i,d nearly forgotten that one----2 OR 3 bRILL aLLL dAYERS----Bar shut at 5 but you cud drink cider all day(!!!!) went thro a curtain into the large back room.Sat out side talking to Dave Evison(he had a sports car with flaking paintwork) we all said it was cracking up like it,s driver.I remember at one of tha all dayers (must have been summer 1979/80 as we were sat outside for ages when Dave said Blackpool Mecca was to restart in 2 weeks on a Sat nite ----i believe --iwent twice with Arthur and Sam a nd Dave Ev D,J,ing.

Snaith was the first time i saw A copy of Lester Tipton(Sam,s water damaged copy--which he introduced as "Time won,t Change(????)--also just remembered ther was a split in the fashions of the crowd i.e. a lot in Peg trousers and plastic sandals, others in spencers and brogues to reflect the style of music---rare 60.s and what we,d now call cross over/modern--never any bother.Alan Senior selling records(thanks for Al williams,Lester Tipton (on instalments!!!l LOL) meeting Sammy Seamman---i,d spent all mine (and Pam,s) dosh on records within 10 minutes of arriving ,and he bought our drinks all day!!

Driving back to Northallerton ,one Sunday night about 11 p.m the bonnet catch on my Mini gave way and the bonnet flew up and hit the roof --making a bug dent in the roof and on the bonnet!!!.

BLOODY GREAT VENUE

Tony Coleby

Social source share

SammySeaman, now thats a name from the past. One of the infamous selby crew which made two pages of the yorkshire post. Everybody who remembers the museum hall at selby and va va's will know what i'm on about. Also sammy is a supporter of the greatest football team in the world aprt from last night at burnley. See him now and again when he's in the uk usually at samplats before united games.

Social source share

SammySeaman, now thats a name from the past. One of the infamous selby crew which made two pages of the yorkshire post. Everybody who remembers the museum hall at selby and va va's will know what i'm on about. Also sammy is a supporter of the greatest football team in the world aprt from last night at burnley. See him now and again when he's in the uk usually at samplats before united games.

split in the fashions of the crowd i.e. a lot in Peg trousers and plastic sandals, others in spencers and brogues to reflect the style of music---rare 60.s and what we,d now call cross over/modern--never any bother.Alan Senior selling records(thanks for Al williams,Lester Tipton (on instalments!!!l LOL) meeting Sammy Seamman

Split in the fasions

fcuk me Tony how yer doin

Had some clear plastic sandles wore them with brown socks once looked like a fookin tea bag on mi feet went well with mi two tone mohair jumper tho

back at thi Leeds Central

bring back tha Funkateers

easy

Dranny

cu @ Gisburn

Social source share

yes! TONY PARKER and myself along with SID CLAYTON attended on several occasions, i think the first time ,we drove straight past thinking the place was derelict..you needed a chieftain tank to tackle the car park!!was it a truck cafe or something during the week?

we always stopped at a place on the A1 which sold "the worlds strongest beer" on the way up from northants.....

always a packed floor, good vibe also ......blimey wasn't it POKE who was playing "LADY IN GREEN"at that time????

ps. hi to dave tay , nice to talk at sids soiree

Social source share

Guest aintgotit

Sorry to get off track here but "Maggie Kelly rings a bell Did she have some brothers Mike? If so i've thought about them for many years but lost contact

DJ

yes she did, older brother mike used to go to central,

Social source share

yes! TONY PARKER and myself along with SID CLAYTON attended on several occasions, i think the first time ,we drove straight past thinking the place was derelict..you needed a chieftain tank to tackle the car park!!was it a truck cafe or something during the week?

we always stopped at a place on the A1 which sold "the worlds strongest beer" on the way up from northants.....

always a packed floor, good vibe also ......blimey wasn't it POKE who was playing "LADY IN GREEN"at that time????

ps. hi to dave tay , nice to talk at sids soiree

Hi, pretty sure this would be Sam, when he sold his big 60s towards the end of Snaith, Mario got The Magnetics & i got Yvonne Vernee & Romona Collins. Poke played his own gems like Richard Parker's version of Just Like The Weather. It certainly was a venue that allowed the djs to showcase their new bits but at the same time keeping all happy with the big floor fillers of the day, i think i played Choice of Colour 'Your Love' for the 1st time down there covered up as J R & the sumthing or others ( remember Dallas was huge at the time :rolleyes: ) , Arthur.

Social source share

• 8 years later...
Guest Anna Jeannette Dixon

hello yes and do you know who supplied the sound equipment  well that would be me big al back then with Illusion 5 Roadshow   and I bought some of Sams records still have them and the decks Richard sold a rare northern record for 250 quid and played on my decks a 1977 Fal Steiro and I have still got her in perfect working order.   and did a hour djing Northern  but not many remember me  The Highwayman's Halt , Snaith  was the best dance floor around at that time  Now all Gone  you cannot see were it was anymore Sad  as we had some great times    and that smell of talcum powder unmistakable , Arthur Fenn was the manager of pendulum glass  selby   

Edited by Anna Jeannette Dixon
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert