Which Of All The Motown Tunes?

If this hasn't been done before then l'll show my arse in Tesco's for a week!!

Three from me

3)Four Tops-I Can't Help Myself

2)Temptations-Get Ready

1)lsley Brothers-This Old Heart Of Mine...

End of story?? :wicked:

Social source share

• Replies 47
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest topcatnumpty1

gud thread (for once)Phil!!

Unreleased

Defo----Crying Time--Brenda Holloway(must be the ultimate motown/northern record

Suspicion(orig at correct speed)----Originals

Released

Baby i,ve got it---Jimmy Ruffin

One way out -Martha Reeves

Just my humble opinion

Tony Coleby

Social source share

"I'll Keep On Holding On"....The Marvelettes

"One Way Out"....Martha & The Vandellas

"These Things Will Keep Me Loving You"....The Velvelettes

The girls rule thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest posstot

Miracles Whole lot of shakin'

Four Tops Shake me Wake me

Supremes Love is like an itching in my heart

Marvin Gaye Love starved Heart

Stevie Wonder Ain't that asking for trouble

Gladys Knight and the pips Walk in my Shoes

Temptations He who picks a Rose

Contours Just a little misunderstanding

Spinners Sweet Thing

Brenda Holloway When I'm gone

Martha Reeves My baby loves me

Social source share

"I'll Keep On Holding On"....The Marvelettes

"One Way Out"....Martha & The Vandellas

"These Things Will Keep Me Loving You"....The Velvelettes

The girls rule thumbsup.gif

My fav Marvelettes track "Your Love Can Save Me" from the LP Sophisticated Soul.thumbsup.gif

Social source share

I always had a soft spot for Thelma Houston's version of "I Ain't Going Nowhere" from her LP on Mowest.:thumbup:

Talking of Mowest who could forget the two Wigan classics from Frankie Valli, "The Night" & "Touch the Rainchild":wicked:

Edited by davetay
Social source share

Surely..

THE 'Epitome' of a (Motown) 'Northern $oul' tune can only have ONE contender ?? ph34r.gif

Chris Clark ~ 'Sweet Loving' !!

Whaaaat!! huh.gif Not HEARD it !?! ohmy.gifg.gifno.gif

Then you need to get yourselves along to the next 'Good $oul Music' All Nighter/$oul 'Nite venue near you.. That features a 'Guest (Geezer) DJ'(and his prized collection of 7 & 12" vinyl thingies.. of course) who goes under the pseudonym of 'Johnny Fingers'!! whistling.gif

The faithful who attended last night's party at The City Club in Peterborough bore witness to it's incredible turntable prowess.. with MANY an enquiry as to the 'Who's'~'What's'~ and 'Wherefore's' of it's brilliance. yes.gif

'Stormin' Northin'.. is what I calls it !! good.gifAND then some !!!!!!!!!!!

Fingers.. shades.gif

Edited by FickleFingers
Social source share

Guest MBarrett

Nobody mentioned . . . the sublime . . . the wonderful . . .

Frances Nero - Keep On Loving -

MB

Edited by MBarrett
Social source share

Premium Stuff, on 14 minutes ago, said:

Change my mind excl.giflaugh.gif

Temptations - Ain't Too Proud To Beg

Cheers

Richard

No problem,mate, l do that every 5 mins.. thumbsup.gif

Cool - OK then - Miracles - Going To A Go-Go thumbup.gif

There are just too many ... I love Motown

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

Guest mel brat

Hearing it again just recently I'd say "Whole Lot Of Shakin' In My Heart" by the Miracles. Listen to it next to (say) the Younghearts "A Little Togetherness", and you can plainly see how 'Northern Soul' evolved toward the frantic uptempo, full-on production many of us associate with the glory years.

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Hearing it again just recently I'd say "Whole Lot Of Shakin' In My Heart" by the Miracles. Listen to it next to (say) the Younghearts "A Little Togetherness", and you can plainly see how 'Northern Soul' evolved toward the frantic uptempo, full-on production many of us associate with the glory years.

Social source share

Reading through this thread just highlights what fantastic music has been produced by Motown, again higlighting the diversity of Northern and motown would have to include

Ruben Howell - Can't Stop a Man in Love

Marvin Gaye - Lonely Lover

Edwin Starr - Running Back And Forth

Absolutely brilliant records thumbup.gif

Social source share

Surely..

THE 'Epitome' of a (Motown) 'Northern $oul' tune can only have ONE contender ?? ph34r.gif

Chris Clark ~ 'Sweet Loving' !!

Whaaaat!! huh.gif Not HEARD it !?! ohmy.gifg.gifno.gif

Then you need to get yourselves along to the next 'Good $oul Music' All Nighter/$oul 'Nite venue near you.. That features a 'Guest (Geezer) DJ'(and his prized collection of 7 & 12" vinyl thingies.. of course) who goes under the pseudonym of 'Johnny Fingers'!! whistling.gif

The faithful who attended last night's party at The City Club in Peterborough bore witness to it's incredible turntable prowess.. with MANY an enquiry as to the 'Who's'~'What's'~ and 'Wherefore's' of it's brilliance. yes.gif

'Stormin' Northin'.. is what I calls it !! good.gifAND then some !!!!!!!!!!!

Fingers.. shades.gif

YEP agree totally SWEET LOVING is an Awesome Dancer

Social source share

Well, lets make some rules to have a sytem of eliminations.

1. It cant really be a good seller (the rareity value)

2. Better not be an established artist at the time of release (No big time Charley for us)

3. Has to have mad/obtuse lyrics (tired old ladies kissing dogs, kind of thing).

4. Cant be too popular with the general public (we like to keep it in house).

Sooooo

Ghost in my house/Loves gone bad/Your loves amazing

And of course DILYIID without a shadow of a doubt the definition of Northern Motown Soul, before it got out!!!!

Ed

Social source share

If this hasn't been done before then l'll show my arse in Tesco's for a week!!

Three from me

3)Four Tops-I Can't Help Myself

2)Temptations-Get Ready

1)isley Brothers-This Old Heart Of Mine...

End of story?? :wicked:

:boxing: Apart from the actual ones that did make it e : "do I love" Baby Hit and Run" "Ghost in my House" and so on? Tonight I have played my Ric-Tic Collection and related Golden World, Wingate and there are some true Motown City superlatives Just the 1 opening piano note on Real Humdinger still send shivers, but I have picked 2 .. in 2ND place for tonight only RIC-TIC 102 "Take me Back".Freddie Gorman, true class and always a popular Dance tune. My No1 is the excellent Teresa Lindsey with "It,s Love" on CORREC-TONE 1053-A this record always its my soul and would be in my Top 100 Soul records of this week? it,s a young Van McCoy Classic, reasonably are enough to warrant getting played again "A DTHEDRUG REVIVE 45":ph34r: DAVE KIL<.

Social source share

Nobody mentioned . . . the sublime . . . the wonderful . . .

Frances Nero - Keep On Loving -

MB

'KEEP ON LOVING ME' FRANCES NERO

Was surfing this thread with the intention of offering a post almost identical to this one! Great taste Mr Barrett.

Without a shadow of a doubt, the majestic record that truly cemented my subsequent lifelong love affair with 'Northern Soul'!

still does it for me totally - 36 years later!

Social source share

Can't believe no one has not mentioned The Temptations - Come On Back To Me Baby (aka Forever In My Heart)......or have I missed the mention? Fab dancer.

Spot on as ever Mr Chalkster, that and Suspicion were as good as got, pretty sure I heard them first at a not very well attended SAS Allinghter in Manchester (Rod?) and they blew me away. I did go back looking for Suspicion as didnt know about unniussued etc in those days and ended up with Carlena Weaver - Jealousy, which was so not the record I wanted and was pi**ed off about it I gave it awaynot long after! OOps,

The unnissued stuff has been frighteningly good in quality but when you look back on this thread you actually realise just how fantasti Northern there was among all the issued stuff

Social source share

For me it has to be Ivy Joe Hunter - Don't stop loving me, if were talking Rarer etc but just looking at the Four Tops & Temptations commercial releases they take a lot of beating & Beauty's only skin deep still makes me shiver & tingle everytime I hear it, the intro wipes me out & has me shuffling about like a giddy kiddy.thumbup.gif

Take care,be safe & remember,"So if your looking for a lover, Oh yeah, don't judge a book by it's cover,Oh yeah",

Spot.shades.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert