Most Soul Female Voice?

Guest MBarrett

And (for me) one of the most soulful, heart wrenching performances of recent times.

Patti Labelle's posthumous tribute to her friend . . .

MB

Social source share

Guest topcatnumpty1

Hi ,Arthur (see you on 4th. Sept) got to agree on Ty Karim but what about---Kim Tolliver on the sublime" Standing Room Only" or Millie J. ON so many-"It,s all over(bar the shouting")---"Loving Arms"--"If you,re not back in love by Monday"---also Carol Anderson--"Sad Girl"---"Taking my mind of love"--"I,M gonna get off at the next stop"-----Ann Sexton----so many

Best

Tony C.

Social source share

Guest Mart B

Im surprised Lorraine Chandler as not been mentioned,she was outstanding when she performed @ Prestatyn a few years ago.

Also Pat Lewis another great Detroit artist...

Social source share

Way too many to choose from like,Ann Sexton,Sandra Wright,Mille Jackson,Alice Clark,Rozetta Johnson,ect.

but if i had to stick me neck out and pick just one

it would be the great late LINDA JONES everytime.

Dave f...........

I agree. Linda's voice was so unique.

Social source share

Guest jobete

She may not have the most soulful voice for some of you, hey I'm bias. It's Irma Thomas. "Hold Me While I Cry" gets me every time

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

She may not have the most soulful voice for some of you, hey I'm bias. It's Irma Thomas. "Hold Me While I Cry" gets me every time

No way would thread be complete without Irma Thomas.

Here is nice version of "Hold Me"

MB

Social source share

'But l wouldn't mind a couple of lines of Beak... thumbup.gif (T.P. 09)

Misquoted again! What I actually said Phil, if you cast your mind back, was 'I don't need no speed or weed... but a Toffee Crisp would do nicely thanks Mr Webb' laugh.gif So get down the Rathcoole corner shop and make sure you bring one to Rugby, thank you.

And in answer to your original question, which I think you may have written whilst drunk as your syntax is all wrong (not for the first time this week I might add) - I think I'll say Esther Phillips. Or the girl who sings lead vocal on Brown Sugar's The Game Is Over, whose name escapes me at the moment but I'm sure someone will remind me of. Lovely.

T x

Social source share

Guest jobete

...Good choice thumbsup.gif

Just been told that you are in fact Spike from Darlo...is this true,mate?? thumbsup.gif

'Tis true Phil, how's you? hope you're well? Long time.... whenyou ext overthis side of the water?

Social source share

Do ever see Elaine Snowball now...Be in Darlo in Oct..have a chat eh?? thumbsup.gif

And just who the fook is Elaine Snowball :g::D

Depends if yer visit clashes with Torch Reunion or Prestatyn in Oct and how long yer here for but I hope we can meet up, I'll get Bizz round for a larf....we were howling the other night when he popped round mine...as I said nowt changes :lol:

Or was that meant for Jobete and its the usual fact of my being inconsequential tongue.gif

Edited by Jill Bayles
Social source share

Jocelyn Brown......What's the problem ouy there? :thumbsup:

When you have finished reading through the thread linked below, listened to every track mentioned come back and lets see if your opinion has changed laugh.gif:ohmy:

Personally I cant decide, depends what day of the week it is. Just know I love Dusty, Jackie Ross, Fontella Bass, Maxine Brown and loads more, but don't like Areatha Franklin or Diana Ross

QoFxx

Social source share

whistling.gif hi,folks. theresa,webby,roman,etc,just got in from the garden avin a bbq,wiv d woman,an kids...

get it right burt,,,,there taller than you.. av just been playin linda jones, wicked lady. fontella bass, class. big maybelle; 96 tears, (aint dat the truth), always cracks me when my boy is on tour). an also reminds me ov me old m8 poma.. ella washington, yo dude....then im thinkin; brenda lee jones;;;;thread your needle..propa. all this at a bbq;;;;;well..why not....

enjoy life.......... post-11211-12497680012211_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Guest dizzydeb

love linda jones,fontella bass cos me mam liked her (i used to think she was a group!) gettin mighty crowded by betty everett 1 of my fave songs,but i think top two wud be come go with me by grace jones and thats no way to treat a girl by marie knight. probably think of more!!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!