Xxxnorthernsoulsource.com

After seeing loads of these pressings all over ebay I contacted one of the people who were selling them, they identified the above website as the supplier.

They told me that all these were licensed reissues and they had the copyrights to reproduce them, which I found it really hard to believe.

After looking down the list and seeing a number of pressings to which I have originals to, I must admit I was not impressed.

Anyone have any more thoughts????

Edited by Tony Foster
Social source share

• Replies 51
  • Views 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

After seeing loads of these pressings all over ebay I contacted one of the people who were selling them, they identified the above website as the supplier.

They told me that all these were licensed reissues and they had the copyrights to reproduce them, which I found it really hard to believe.

After looking down the list and seeing a number of pressings to which I have originals to, I must admit I was not impressed.

Kinell Tony--they've got Andantes==Like A Nightmare on there. Have they got the copyright on that!g.gifohmy.gif

Social source share

Having just had the pleasure to deal with Universal/Motown for my last anniversayr record I bet they do not have the rights for the Andantes. But its pretty easy to detect if they are indeed a legit brand or not.

All we have to do is to ask Ady as Kent/Ace have got the rights to the Musicor catalogue and northernsoulsource.com claim to have the rights to have the Jive Five in their repertoire as well.

I bet these are all carvers done upon customers orders...hence the poor labels.

Social source share

By the way, they've done boots of things you can but on Goldmine 7's for a fiver or less starting at 12.99 and they've even done Billy Preston - Billy's Bag.

where were the last lot of idiots who did the same from

Northern ireland wasn't it ?

are these chisslers the same lot ?

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Northern ireland wasn't it ?

are these chisslers the same lot ?

If its the same one as I'm thinking of, it was somewhere close to me in South Wales.

I also believe there was a link on his site to some unsavory pictures of children mentioned?

Social source share

By the way, they've done boots of things you can but on Goldmine 7's for a fiver or less starting at 12.99 and they've even done Billy Preston - Billy's Bag.

Saddest thing is that people are obviously buying them. Can't see the point really, might as well buy a CD with 2 dozen of the tracks on.

Social source share

• 1 month later...

Hello Tony,

Apart from it being blatant copyright infringement on a large scale, it's also a very greedy operation with one-sided 45s priced at £12.99 each - or £14.99 each if you buy via eBay.

From the cases I have checked so far (fourteen of which are owned or controlled by Millbrand Copyright Management Ltd) I can assure you that northernsoulsource do not have master licenses or mechanical reproduction licenses. No big surprise.

I've also bought one of their items from an eBay seller named northernsoulsister55 (who may not be directly connected with northernsoulsource) to obtain evidence and I'll consider actions after consulting various authorities and professional bodies we are affiliated with.

Any information is welcome at info@millbrand.com and will be treated in confidence.

Thanks,

Paul Mooney

Millbrand

Social source share

PS THIS IS NOT AIMED AT THE PREVIOUS RESPONSE BUT AGREEING WITH CURRENT RESPONSES !

excl.gif

Thanks, Scott, I realised what you meant (eventually).

By the way, I know some people who would consider it to be a compliment.

whistling.gif

Social source share

So far the owners of northernsoulsource.com have failed to comply with instructions to cease and desist.

They've had several opportunities to resolve matters the easy way.

Documents have now been served on their service providers requesting disclosure of information and the withdrawal of web pages relating to 12 specific items or the complete withdrawal of webhosting services.

Social source share

Someone put me out of my misery, please. Do I deduce from these postings that a carver is a counterfeit?

I still have so much to learn...

Yes, dubplates are bootlegs (pirates) when manufactured and sold in quantities with fake labels.

Their website has 406 unauthorised items on sale and they are available in large quantities, also offered via eBay at even higher retail prices. It's a considerable operation.

And as the retail prices are £12.99 or £14.99, the amount of royalties unpaid is significant.

Nobody would object to a one-off dubplate (equal to a CD-R or a cassette copy) for personal use but this is different.

Also, the fact that they have been so evasive with me suggests they know they're doing wrong. And don't forget they previously claimed (to Tony Foster) that the items were "licensed reissues" and they "had the copyrights to reproduce them" which is untrue of course.

Best regards,

Paul

Social source share

...I've also bought one of their items from an eBay seller named northernsoulsister55 (who may not be directly connected with northernsoulsource) to obtain evidence..."

They were clever enough to refund my payment and claim the item was "listed in error".

g.gif

Social source share

Northern ireland wasn't it ? are these chisslers the same lot ?

The eBay seller is based in Northern Ireland so there may well be a connection.

Social source share

Guest JJMMWGDuPree

Yes, dubplates are bootlegs (pirates) when manufactured and sold in quantities with fake labels.

Their website has 406 unauthorised items on sale and they are available in large quantities, also offered via eBay at even higher retail prices. It's a considerable operation.

And as the retail prices are £12.99 or £14.99, the amount of royalties unpaid is significant.

Nobody would object to a one-off dubplate (equal to a CD-R or a cassette copy) for personal use but this is different.

Also, the fact that they have been so evasive with me suggests they know they're doing wrong. And don't forget they previously claimed (to Tony Foster) that the items were "licensed reissues" and they "had the copyrights to reproduce them" which is untrue of course.

Best regards,

Paul

Thanks!

I hate operations like this, my brother and I are musos and when we get ripped off for the few pence we're entitled to on the odd record we get mighty pissed off. If we'd been responsible for some of the records I saw on that site I think we'd be reaching for the legal dept. or a machine gun right about now.

I guess modern tech has made it easier to run these things off and the internet has made it easier to shift them. About a year ago I finally realised I was never going to get certain items I wanted on vinyl and decided to see if I could pick up any CDs with a bunch of them on. After a bit of searching I located quite a few on Ace Group CDs, and more on Goldsoul, but three other 'companies' turned up which I suspect are seriously out of line. Two Brit operations called Right Track and A-la-carte, and a US organisation called Rock-it Radio. I know that last one's dodgy because they're getting a lot of bad press on US sites, but does anyone know anything about the other two?

Social source share

Not that it means anything as you can host almost anywhere, but I see that the site is hosted in Utah by a service provider named BlueHost.com. Obviously, as documentation has been served on them for disclosure and/or withdrawal of content then an appropriate response should be forthcoming rather rapidly...

If they choose not to comply then the next step, I presume, will be the application of a DMCA equivalent via Google and other search engines.

Social source share

Not that it means anything as you can host almost anywhere, but I see that the site is hosted in Utah by a service provider named BlueHost.com. Obviously, as documentation has been served on them for disclosure and/or withdrawal of content then an appropriate response should be forthcoming rather rapidly...

If they choose not to comply then the next step, I presume, will be the application of a DMCA equivalent via Google and other search engines.

I'm using the Copyright Designs and Patents Act 1988 because Millbrand is registered in the UK and I believe the offenders are also in the UK.

As their service provider is in the USA, I may also need to refer to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act but the legal department of Bluehost have already implied that they will be obliged to assist. They now have full details and all required documentation.

Why on earth don't these bootleggers just comply with my requests in the first place???

Social source share

Thanks!

I hate operations like this, my brother and I are musos and when we get ripped off for the few pence we're entitled to on the odd record we get mighty pissed off. If we'd been responsible for some of the records I saw on that site I think we'd be reaching for the legal dept. or a machine gun right about now.

I guess modern tech has made it easier to run these things off and the internet has made it easier to shift them. About a year ago I finally realised I was never going to get certain items I wanted on vinyl and decided to see if I could pick up any CDs with a bunch of them on. After a bit of searching I located quite a few on Ace Group CDs, and more on Goldsoul, but three other 'companies' turned up which I suspect are seriously out of line. Two Brit operations called Right Track and A-la-carte, and a US organisation called Rock-it Radio. I know that last one's dodgy because they're getting a lot of bad press on US sites, but does anyone know anything about the other two?

A La Carte isn't a company, it's an individual who puts out 'interesting' cd's, not sure how widespread they are as I've never seen them for sale (I have all of them on a couple of dvd discs) but there are over 100 compilations and some are very imaginitive. Based in Shropshire I think.

Social source share

seems to be alot of sellers selling boots on e bay, for every 1 original record looking down listings there seems to be 5 boots or re-issues,makes lookin for toons on e bay a bit tedious sometimessleep3.gif

Very, very true and the reason I hardly ever look on ebay.co.uk anymore. Buy 95% off the .com site and sell on the .com site as well now.....

Social source share

People buy them and DJ with them, simple as that. Been told loads of stories by friends of mine who have gone up to the decks and seen them...... :wanker:shades

True Phil....ive seen it mate and brought it up with the DJ...EVERYBODY should keep a watch as a lot are doing it at moment. Carver with a photo copy of the label ..............we need to start a society

RSPCA Raids To Stop Pricks Carving Association?

:angry::yes:

Social source share

• 1 year later...
Guest JJMMWGDuPree

Now there's embarrassing.  Some time after this thread I discovered that I'd bought an A-la-carte CD, so I hid it away and kept quiet about it, now I think I may have bought a Right Track CD off Ebay.  I keep telling myself not to buy or bid on anything after midnight but do I listen?

Anyway, I remembered a piece of advice from another thread on something similar to this subject which said that if you put these CDs into your computer you could see what CDs the tracks had been taken off, so for no really good reason I dug out the A-L-C CD and stuck in my 'pooter.

It didn't like it.  Belched and farted a lot, but eventually it found what it was looking for and up came the Gracenotes logo... Now that can only mean one thing, and yup!  Up fires Realplayer complete with the Gracenotes listing for the CD.  An A-L-C boot has found its way onto the Gracenote system.

You know what this means?  If a track off this CD gets played on internet radio by someone equally unaware of the doubtful legality of this product the ubiquitous Amazon ad will come up, and somewhere someone will try to buy it.  They won't get it of course, but if enough people try to buy it Amazon will start trying to hunt it down.  At some point in their search they'll find themselves reading this very thread, so...

Hi there guys!  What took you so long?   :lol:

Social source share

Kinell Tony--they've got Andantes==Like A Nightmare on there. Have they got the copyright on that!g.gifohmy.gif

I would not waste my brain power even thinking about these rouge 45s and djs who play em

let them get on with it !

While the rest of us chase originals

Edited by mossy
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert