Joey Gilmore

Guest SoulRenaissance

Guest SoulRenaissance

Does anyone out there know anything about Joey Gilmore "Do it to me one more time"/ "Somebody's took my baby", or it's value on either Phil.l.a or Saadia?

Martyn

Social source share

• Replies 35
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

The Phil L.A. issue has appreciably better sound quality than the Saadia one.

I have them both Gareth and when this question came up last year, having played them side by side I could hear absolutely no difference between the two.

I think its just a rumour put about by people who dont have the Saadia copy. :g:

:D

Sean

Social source share

Both sides are great, but Little Beaver's original of "Do It To Me One More Time" aces Joey's: scorching Miami soul.

As it happens, I've been playing Little Beavers version of "Somebody Took" recently.

Top tune!

I've also got the track by Lee Shot Williams somewhere (Somebody Took My Girl And Gone) but its no great shakes!

Sean

Social source share

I have them both Gareth and when this question came up last year, having played them side by side I could hear absolutely no difference between the two.

I think its just a rumour put about by people who dont have the Saadia copy. :g:

Sean

I had both at one time, and passed the the Saadia copy on cos of the very noticeable difference.....

Girf

Social source share

I had both at one time, and passed the the Saadia copy on cos of the very noticeable difference.....

Girf

Then either you're deaf Gareth, or I am. :D

Or maybe I've just got a really good Saadia copy - or you had a really bad Saadia copy - cos I can tell absolutely no difference between it or any of my half dozen White Demo or Yellow Issue Phil L A copies....

Sean

Social source share

Then either you're deaf Gareth, or I am. :D

Or maybe I've just got a really good Saadia copy - or you had a really bad Saadia copy - cos I can tell absolutely no difference between it or any of my half dozen White Demo or Yellow Issue Phil L A copies....

Sean

Perhaps it had two runs on SAADIA? :g: I've only ever seen one label variation of it though.

I used to have it on both SAADIA and PHIL-L.A. OF SOUL and also sold my Saadia copy because it sounded very muffled and was lacking in the high end frequencies.

Social source share

As it happens, I've been playing Little Beavers version of "Somebody Took" recently.

Top tune!

I've also got the track by Lee Shot Williams somewhere (Somebody Took My Girl And Gone) but its no great shakes!

Sean

Wow. I didn't know Beaver did this too. What label? I love most of the Saadia sides: both Joey and the Beaver's version of Blind Man are brilliant deep records and (although it may be sacrilege) I actually prefer them to Bobby Bland!

Social source share

Wow. I didn't know Beaver did this too. What label? I love most of the Saadia sides: both Joey and the Beaver's version of Blind Man are brilliant deep records and (although it may be sacrilege) I actually prefer them to Bobby Bland!

Little Beaver's version of "Do It To Me One More Time" is on SAADIA as well, it's the flipside to "Blind Man" (or were we talking about "Somebody Done Took My Baby And Gone"? :D ). Not as good as Joey Gilmore's version in my opinion, but shares the same basic backing track.

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

Little Beaver's version of "Do It To Me One More Time" is on SAADIA as well, it's the flipside to "Blind Man" (or were we talking about "Somebody Done Took My Baby And Gone"? :D ). Not as good as Joey Gilmore's version in my opinion, but shares the same basic backing track.

Hi Sebastian

Sean was talking about a LB version of "Somebody Done Took My Baby And Gone."

Social source share

sean..... mellow.gif

are you getting your records mixed up ...... or is there a version I didn't know about. Which is quite likely

Sorry all, no I'm not getting mixed up, its on the "Love & Affection" album and entitled "She's Gone" on there.

Don't know if anyone else noticed, its the same song as Joey Gilmore "Somebody Done Took My Baby And Gone" but done far darker, meaner and moodier!

I bloody love it!

Sean

Social source share

Sorry all, no I'm not getting mixed up, its on the "Love & Affection" album and entitled "She's Gone" on there.

Don't know if anyone else noticed, its the same song as Joey Gilmore "Somebody Done Took My Baby And Gone" but done far darker, meaner and moodier!

I bloody love it!

:g:

Sean

Thanks for the tip Sean: sounds right up my street. I love his music at it's bluesiest from things like his own "Joey" on Cat to his playing on records such as Gwen McCrae's "I'm Losing The Feeling." Interesting how his career was interlinked with Joey Gillmore's: they were both featured guitarists and vocalists with Frank Williams' Rocketeers and, as the thread shows, often recorded many of the same songs. Thinking about it again it gives an interesting twist to the love triangle lyrics of "Joey".

Social source share

I bloody love it!

thumbsup.gif

Sean

cheers will check it out thumbsup.gif

I get wrapped up in collecting 45s and don't get into LP collecting very much. Not enough days in the week.

Social source share

Guest SoulRenaissance

That's right - Its late 90's material.

Essential if you're into Little Beaver.

Just checked and you can download the track on iTunes.

Triffic!

:lol:

Sean

Thanks you lot, didn't know there were so many people who knew this record. But knowledgeable too. Unfortunately the slower side has a few jumps which i've tried to eliminate, but can't budge.

Had it for years. Then one night at Steam all-nighter i was suprised to hear either Alex Jones (if not Phil Wainwright) play it in their set, amongst all the mega rare tunes they've got. The funky "Do it to me one more time", not the Crossover side.

Martyn

Social source share

Thanks you lot, didn't know there were so many people who knew this record. But knowledgeable too. Unfortunately the slower side has a few jumps which i've tried to eliminate, but can't budge.

Had it for years. Then one night at Steam all-nighter i was suprised to hear either Alex Jones (if not Phil Wainwright) play it in their set, amongst all the mega rare tunes they've got. The funky "Do it to me one more time", not the Crossover side.

Martyn

Little Beaver's version of "Do It To Me" is pretty expensive (relatively rare and in-demand): could have been that version played in a rare soul set. The Joey Gilmore on Phil L.A. of Soul was quite a big-selling record in some regional markets.

I like both versions for different reasons, Gilmore's is quite cool, Beaver's is like a punch in the stomach.

Social source share

Guest SoulRenaissance

Little Beaver's version of "Do It To Me" is pretty expensive (relatively rare and in-demand): could have been that version played in a rare soul set. The Joey Gilmore on Phil L.A. of Soul was quite a big-selling record in some regional markets.

I like both versions for different reasons, Gilmore's is quite cool, Beaver's is like a punch in the stomach.

Sounded like Joey Gilmore, but i'll have to check these other versions out 'cause you never know?

Social source share

I think its just a rumour put about by people who dont have the Saadia copy. :D

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Well, not having got a Saadia copy - I'd have to say the Phil La issue is the better recording!whistling:wink:

But seriously Sean, I thought you once said the other release by Joey on Saadia, was even better!

"Girl Your Best Friend Done Took Your Place" ....or did I just think you'd said it?:chinstroke:

Oh, I also like Little Beaver's "Joey" as well - one nice tune it is!

Social source share

Well, not having got a Saadia copy - I'd have to say the Phil La issue is the better recording!whistling.gifwink.gif

But seriously Sean, I thought you once said the other release by Joey on Saadia, was even better!

"Girl Your Best Friend Done Took Your Place" ....or did I just think you'd said it? :thumbsup:

I think you just thought I said it :thumbup:

I really like the "Girl Your Best Friend" 45 and the label is a whole lot more attractive... but 'Somebody Done Took' is one of the greatest records in the history of the Universe and the follow up can't really hold a candle to it!

Dont you agree, John?

Sean

Social source share

That's right - Its late 90's material.

Essential if you're into Little Beaver.

Just checked and you can download the track on iTunes.

Triffic!

thumbsup.gif

Sean

You little monkey Sean, had 'em all dangling on that one thumbsup.gif

Yep 'She's gone' has had some 'ammer over the last year or so at the qualidy venues. Definitely a take on 'Somebody' but i think it's fairly recent, rather than as you said, late 90's? I might be wrong as i haven't got the CD in front of me but i thought it was circa 2005? Anyone confirm?

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

It is a y2k release, not sure of exact date, but was a 90's unissued LP as far as I know, a couple of other nice things on it too if I remember rightly, pretty sure She's Gone is on refosoul too.

Gareth/Dylan have PM'd you both.

Social source share

Sean does that mean you have a spare Phil La Of this also, may be interested in adding to your pension fund as Pickfords managed to drop mines from a great height when my 45's were in storeage and its in about 5 pieces, so probably time to replace.

Let me know, as always agree with your comments on She's Gone

Social source share

It is a y2k release, not sure of exact date, but was a 90's unissued LP as far as I know, a couple of other nice things on it too if I remember rightly, pretty sure She's Gone is on refosoul too.

Gareth/Dylan have PM'd you both.

not got a PM yet. Are they working properly ?

:unsure:

Social source share

I have both Sadia and Phil L.A. Of Soul releases and they both play the same. My Sadia copy does have the labels reversed (not sure if they're all like that)

"Do it to me" by Joey Gilmore has been getting a bit of an hammering around here for sometime now. I like both versions but Joey Gilmore is the best IMO

Edited by Val (Chunky)
Social source share

I have both Sadia and Phil L.A. Of Soul releases and they both play the same.

My Sadia copy does have the labels reversed (not sure if they're all like that)

Thanks Val - was beginning to think it was only me that had 'same sounding' copies!

My Saadia is not reversed labels, by the way.

:P

sean

Social source share

Sean does that mean you have a spare Phil La Of this also, may be interested in adding to your pension fund as Pickfords managed to drop mines from a great height when my 45's were in storeage and its in about 5 pieces, so probably time to replace.

Let me know, as always agree with your comments on She's Gone

If I can put my hands on a clean one for ya, I'll stick it in with the Billy Boy!

:P

Sean

Social source share

Was rooting round in the garage at dinner and guess what? I found a spare copy on Phil-A-of-Soul

Yellow issue in ex nick

I know a couple of folks above had spares so i'm sure deals are being done as we speak........so if anyone else wants one, please cross my palm with £30 plus £2 postage (UK) and it'll be yours?

PLMK

Steve

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert