Best Soul Single By A British Artist?

• Replies 74
  • Views 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Three from me..3)Keep On Movin'- Soul To Soul.. 2) Stay This Way-Brand New Heavies..1)Love ls A Master Of Disguise-Eve Gallagher wicked.gif

I know I am gonna get hang for this but I still love Loose Ends "Hanging on a String".

The Frankie Knuckles inst remix is one of my fav 12s.

Edited by davetay
Social source share

Sorry Matt, I am with Webby on Keep On Movin, great 80s soul.

Caron Wheeler great vocals, it's not her fauth that Jazzie B is a t++t.

Love the 90s remix as well.

Jazzie B OBE you mean :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

3 of my fav's are

1. Jimmy James - A Man Like Me (or will you say but he technically is not British)

2. Kenny Thomas - Crazy World and no matter what people think

3. The Real Thing - You To Me Are Everything

Social source share

Guest biggray1

Tom Jones wins hands down for me,Lisa Stansfield is up there with Dusty Springfield,love too hear Helen Small and we all cant forget Jimmy James...Imothumbsup.gif Oh and Joss Stone cuts it for me too.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Oooh No!!What have l gone and done this time??...The Soul Police are battering down the door and now they have got me in a headlock saying "Soul is

:laugh: I think a few people have answered your question Webby, Jazzie B aint everyone's favourite person on Soul Source. There's a thread around somewhere from ages back explaining all.

Social source share

Just googled that and my God it was brilliant!! ls he still around? Didn't he use to be a boxer..What a talent! thumbsup.gif

Ya Phil, he's still around, still lives in North London.

He's been on live all over the place in the last years.

We had a few good laughs with him down the years, Southport Weekender and Birmingham Hilton spring to mind.

How could I forget he did a gig at Bolton Soul Club one Friday night near Christmas, and Eddie was doing the sound.smile.gif

Social source share

Guest proudlove

We had a few good laughs with him down the years, Southport Weekender and Birmingham Hilton spring to mind.

How could I forget he did a gig at Bolton Soul Club one Friday night near Christmas, and Eddie was doing the sound.smile.gif

Wasn't it a new years eves do or has my memory totally gone,and yes Eddie Battin did do the sound.

Social source share

Guest john s

If you're talking 80's onwards, how about:

Martine Girault 'Revival'

Omar 'There's nothing like this'

Courtney Buchanan 'R U Conscious'

:yes:

Social source share

3 of my fav's are

1. Jimmy James - A Man Like Me (or will you say but he technically is not British)

2. Kenny Thomas - Crazy World and no matter what people think

3. The Real Thing - You To Me Are Everything

are the real thing the same real thing that did stone cold love affair on 20th century? that is a slammin record.

Social source share

I always had a soft spot for Lynden David Hall, what a gorgeous boy he was. Save me a bar stool next to you LDH in that modern room in the sky - mine's a rum & coke. Never forget going to see Marlene Shaw at the Jazz Cafe, LDH had gone along as a punter, and she pulled him out of the audience unrehearsed to sing with her. He had no idea of the words obviously, so he just kind of ad libbed along, doing a bit of moaning and groaning-type singing. Not a dry pair of knickers in the house, lol.

Do I Qualify:

Social source share

Tony Etoria - I Can Prove It

never thought that 30+ years later this tune would still be played and sound so goodyes.gif whatever happened to Mr.Etoria

Social source share

Don't know but they started off on Opportunity Knocks,one of them is from my original home town of Widnes,Chris Amoo,and his dog which was an Afghan,

won Cruffts one year...HONESTLY!! :thumbsup:

We had a Afghan called Rod Stewart sang better than Rod though. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest posstot

Sorry Matt, I am with Webby on Keep On Movin, great 80s soul.

Caron Wheeler great vocals, it's not her fauth that Jazzie B is a t++t.

Love the 90s remix as well.

Great pop with a soulful-type vocal:ph34r:

Social source share

Guest posstot

Dusty Springfield Live it up Philips

Kiki Dee On a magic carpet ride philips

Ray Singer Tell me now Roulette(recorded in blighty).

Herbie Goins I'm comin' Home to you Capitol (recorded in blighty).

" " " "Number one in your heart/ Cruisin parlaphone(??)unsure.gif

John E. Paul I wanna know decca.

I thought all the british collectors would have been on letting you know. Surely there are a lot more than we realise!! Come on chaps, and chappettes.!!

Social source share

Guest posstot

Should have your Dave on here,Mike,cos it was him that introduced me to all this British Soul stuff with Barry in the early 90's thumbsup.gif

OOOOh you tease... Do we know each other, have we met?g.gifbiggrin.gif

Social source share

Guest posstot

We sure have.We met on a Saturday morning in 92 in your Dave's flat in Latchford.I was staying there for a few months.You're Dave will deffo remember

So you're keeping well then??

Edited by posstot
Social source share

Don't know but they started off on Opportunity Knocks,one of them is from my original home town of Widnes,Chris Amoo,and his dog which was an Afghan,

won Cruffts one year...HONESTLY!! :wicked:

Yes,that is them but they actually started in the sixties as a doo-wop group.The Amoo brothers were original members and they even sang at the Cavern.There's footage of that and interviews with them on one of the Soul lBritania docos

Bernard.

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

Well Amoo brothers was in the Chants and later Real Thing and they had some stuff on bell records before appearing on opportunity knocks. The band won and got a deal with Pye records and later signed to another label in the 80's forgot name and also Jive records where they cut a nice version of I Can't Help Myself. I seen the Real thing live 3 times and i loved them all the time i saw them and met them once.

Social source share

This is a great record! I'd love to hear it out.....

....also always loved 60's soul-wise, Steve Aldo - Absolutely Right - Parlophone

Psychic Circle recently comped some nice obscure UK bits including Roger Peacock, Carl King, & George Paul Jefferson.

Edited by mulf
Social source share

This is a great record! I'd love to hear it out.....

....also always loved 60's soul-wise, Steve Aldo - Absolutely Right - Parlophone

Psychic Circle recently comped some nice obscure UK bits including Roger Peacock, Carl King, & George Paul Jefferson.

"I Can Prove It" great record, still play it at home...wasn't he Welsh.

re Steve Aldo...real name Eddie Bedford, ran a pub in Liverpool for years called The American Bar in Lime St, was in the original Chants. I worked with him for a couple of years in the 80,s. Last heard he was running the Student Union Bar at Liverpool Uni...that was in the 90,s so probably retired now.

Social source share

"I Can Prove It" great record, still play it at home...wasn't he Welsh.

re Steve Aldo...real name Eddie Bedford, ran a pub in Liverpool for years called The American Bar in Lime St, was in the original Chants. I worked with him for a couple of years in the 80,s. Last heard he was running the Student Union Bar at Liverpool Uni...that was in the 90,s so probably retired now.

He did another one on Decca I think that is a cover as well but not as good? Didn't realise he was in the original chants!

Social source share

...now they have got me in a headlock saying "Soul is American and died on 31st December 1969!!"......

Never heard that said before- but some so-called schools of thought claim that the life changing phenomenon otherwise known as Northern Soul died in either 1972, 1973, 1974 or 1975....

Edited by The Big Lebowski
Social source share

I'll probably get slaughtered for this, but one of my faves from the 90s was Eastenders bird Michelle Gayle - Looking Up. What a happy tune. Can't find the proper video, but here's a bad one from YouTube:

https://www.youtube.c...h?v=uvdeByTk5E0

When Manchester won the Commonweath Games, there was a big firework display at Salford Keys.

We took the kids to watch it, after it finished, Michelle Gayle sang live on stage.

I was very surpriced how good she was.yes.gif

Edited by davetay
Social source share

from the 90's a very small selection from the south,

junior giscombe 'morning will come'

esperanto 'glad that you were mine'

young disciples 'apparently nothing'

joanna law 'softly as in a morning sunrise'

groove nation 'slow motion'

mica paris 'you'

cheers Sutty

Edited by Sutty
Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

Biggest British Soul Talent...

Cleethorpes Finest - Rod temperton

Michael Jackson: "Rock with You", "Off the Wall", "Burn This Disco Out", "Baby Be Mine", "The Lady In My Life" and "Thriller", "Someone In The Dark", "Hot Street".

Heatwave: "Boogie Nights", "The Groove Line", "Gangsters of the Groove", "Lettin' it loose", "Always and Forever", "Keep Tomorrow for Me"

James Ingram & Michael McDonald: "Yah Mo B There".

Tamia: "You Put a Move on My Heart".

Rufus: "Masterjam", "Live In Me".

The Brothers Johnson: "Stomp!" and "Treasure" "Light up the Night", "All About The Heaven".

Donna Summer: "Love Is in Control (Finger on the Trigger)", "Livin' In America" and "Love Is Just A Breath Away".

Quincy Jones: "The Dude", "Razzamatazz", "Somethin' Special", "Turn On The Action", "The Secret Garden" and "Back On The Block", "Baby Come to Me", "You Put a Move on My Heart" and "Q's Jook Joint".

Herbie Hancock: "Lite Me Up", "Getting To The Good Part", "Motor Mouth".

Aretha Franklin: "Livin' In The Streets".

Jeffrey Osborne: "We Belong To Love" (which Temperton also produced).

Bob James: "Sign Of The Times" and "The Steamin' Feelin'".

The Manhattan Transfer: "Mystery", "The Spice Of Life", from their Bodies and Souls album.

George Benson: Give Me The Night LP, including "Love x Love", "Turn Out the Lamplight" and the title track.

James Ingram: It's Your Night LP.

Anita Baker: "Mystery" from her Rapture album.

Patti Austin: Every Home Should Have One LP; "Do You Love Me?", "The Genie".

Second Image: "Lights Out" on Strange Reflections

Michael McDonald: "Sweet Freedom".

Stephanie Mills: "Time of Your Life" and "Hold On to Midnight".

Karen Carpenter: "Lovelines" and "If We Try".

LL Cool J featuring Boyz II Men: "Hey Lover".

Mica Paris: "Love Keeps Coming Back", "Two in a Million", & "You Put A Move On My Heart".

M½a: "Man in my Life".

Klymaxx: "Man-Size Love".

C+C Music Factory: "Share That Beat of Love".

Angie Stone: "Lovers' Ghetto" from her Stone Love album.

Mariah Carey: "I'm That Chick" (which sampled Michael Jackson's "Off the Wall") from her E=MC² album.

Social source share

are the real thing the same real thing that did stone cold love affair on 20th century? that is a slammin record.

ONE AND THE SAME BOB.ON UK PYE RECORDS RELEASED THE YEAR BEFORE THEY STRUCK GOLD WITH YOU TO ME ARE EVERYTHING AND CAN'T GET BY WITHOUT YOU ON THESE SHORES.

BRI PINCH.

SUNDAY CHILLOUT, 16TH AUGUST, HORSE AND GROOM PUB, EAST LAITH GATE, DONCASTER.

FRIENDSHIP @ KINGSTONE CLUB, BARNSLEY, SAT 29TH AUGUST.

HULL SOUL CLUB, FRI 4TH SEPT.

Social source share

ONE AND THE SAME BOB.ON UK PYE RECORDS RELEASED THE YEAR BEFORE THEY STRUCK GOLD WITH YOU TO ME ARE EVERYTHING AND CAN'T GET BY WITHOUT YOU ON THESE SHORES.

BRI PINCH.

SUNDAY CHILLOUT, 16TH AUGUST, HORSE AND GROOM PUB, EAST LAITH GATE, DONCASTER.

FRIENDSHIP @ KINGSTONE CLUB, BARNSLEY, SAT 29TH AUGUST.

HULL SOUL CLUB, FRI 4TH SEPT.

and an even better 3 from them

'love takes tears'

'raining through my sunshine'

'children of the ghetto'

cheers Sutty

Social source share

And that one reminds me of a claim to fame of mine...Mr Battin in the frame again...I was personally introduced to Mr Thomas at Fleetwood Weekender...that time when...ahem...Mr Battin was appointed as his personal chaperone...and lets just say he didn't ultimately chaperone him very well...or possibly far too well...cos Mr Thomas was on site a hell of a lot longer than he should have been biggrin.gif

Anyway back to my "short and sweet" tale...it was about the only time in my life when I was lost for words...a bigshot promoter came over and interrupted (well not really as Mr T was the only one talking) and said it was time to go for Mr T as he was not insured after leaving the stage (think he did a PA or a fuller performance) and Mr T politely told him it wasn't gonna happen good.gif and it most certainly didn't :lol:thumbup.gif

Must now give some thought to the thread topic :g:

Social source share

Flipping Heck,Jill,they're great choices...Have seen BNH's lived..Brilliant!.If you can tell me their original name when they first recorded Never Stop you could go back to my tops list...But l somehow doubt it!! whistling.gif

Brother International?

I too have seen BNH live...at Southport...when Nichole Russo was with them...but N'Dea Davenport was much better than her vocally...and I may also have seen them after that when N'Dea Davenport returned to the group but I can't recall...all a blur!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert