• Views 18k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

So what did he say Paul?

Must have been good for you to be so forgiving laugh.gif

I pointed out that what he put was mis-leading lies and that he was musical consultant on 'Once Upon A Time In Wigan LIVE', the horrendous BOLTON OCTAGON rip off of the play that featured no original music, just a blue eyed band doing covers!

I was the musical director and director/deviser on the play that toured and was about vinyl addiction called 'Once Upon A Time In Wigan'. that featured original tracks by the original artists and used the lyrical content as a narrative.

These guys, as did Bolton, are deliberately trying to confuse the two plays. Because they are trying to raise finance for a shit film version of their musical i guess.....the Bolton thing was a dire flop and my play was a success, so they are probably telling potential financiers that they did my play, not the shit one. Utter lies of course....dont think Russ knows what original vinyl looks like...biggrin.gif

He said he would alter what he wrote accordingly.

SO, if anyone sees anymore of Russ's mis-representation, please let me know...thanks paul-s

Social source share

I was told kev roberts 350 pounds an hour billy

Did you leave the decimal point out of that post Billy? g.gif I bloody well hope so. wicked.gifwhistling.gif

Hope you are well mate.

Phil.

u laughed phil, hes got some top sounds.

Billy

P.S:the films been put back to spring next year they want me to do a dance off with soul sam which will be added to footage lol

Social source share

Without a doubt...thing is I'm not even looking at it from a Soul Lovers point of view but from a Film lovers point of view...you look at the great British films that have come out in the past few years and try to compare 'Soul Boy' against any of them and it comes up way short...ok you can say they were on a budget but i'm sure most British films are...Hold it up to something like 'This Is England' and it falls very short indeed in comparison...just because a film is on a shoestring does not mean you cannot get the best out of what you have...the subject matter is there...and i'm sure the film makers had good intentions...I just don't happen to think they pulled it off...perhaps others will see it differently.

In the 90s I worked as a script writer and in sometimes in tandem with a brilliant British Director called JOHN ROBERTS. He won a BAFTA and an academy award for a film called 'This Boys Story' which was about two kid brothers from the North who ran away to watch GEORGE BEST play for United at Liverpool, after their Mother forced them to move to Wales. It was a cinematic, tender, and very poignant film which included a nice little cameo from BESTY himself at the end, walking through Hyde Park years later and passing the two Bothers who have now grown up and moved to London. It avoided the usual northern stereotypes and was a quality piece all round. The movie was part funded by JOE BLOGGS FASHION....

When the film did so well, JOHN got a 'walk-in' with every bloody Producer you could mention and I worked with him on a number of projects in the following years. But one script he could never get funding for was his 'Northern Soul' movie, which looked at the scene through the eyes of a young black Borstal Boy released from custody in the summer of 1974. Having read it as a Soul fan and a writer, It was a fucking brilliant piece and I could not believe he could never secure funding to develop it properly. Mind you, the scene was not so mainstream at the time and a lot of people did not get the value of such a movie.

It was a great shame because although he was not an original Soul fan, JOHN understood 70s youth culture brilliantly and later went on to direct films for DAVID PUTTNAM, STEVEN SPIELBERG and the BBC. I think the chance for a great British Movie on the scene got lost with that script and one thing is for sure, given that the lead character was a black lad and some of the themes it addressed - It would have been very interesting to hear JAZZY B's reaction to it!

Edited by chorleysoul
Social source share

In the 90s I worked as a script writer and in sometimes in tandem with a brilliant British Director called JOHN ROBERTS. He won a BAFTA and an academy award for a film called 'This Boys Story' which was about two kid brothers from the North who ran away to watch GEORGE BEST play for United at Liverpool, after their Mother forced them to move to Wales. It was cinematic, tender, and very poignant film which included a nice little cameo from BESTY himself at the end, walking through Hyde Park years later and passing the two Bothers who have now grown up and moved to London. It avoided the usual northern stereotypes and was a quality piece all round. The movie was part funded by JOE BLOGGS FASHION....

When the film did so well, JOHN got a 'walk-in' with every bloody Producer you could mention and I worked with him on a number of projects in the following years. But one script he could never get funding for was his 'Northern Soul' movie, which looked at the scene through the eyes of a young black Borstal Boy released from custody in the summer of 1974. Having read it as a Soul fan and a writer, It was a fucking brilliant piece that and I could not not believe he could never secure funding to develop it properly. Mind you, the scene was not so mainstream at the time and a lot of people did not get the value of such a movie.

It was a great shame because although he was not an original Soul fan, JOHN understood 70s youth culture brilliantly and later went on to direct films for DAVID PUTTNAM, STEVEN SPIELBERG and the BBC. I think the chance for a great British Movie on the scene got lost with that script and one thing is for sure, given that the lead character was a black lad and some of the themes it addressed - It would have been very interesting to hear JAZZY B's reaction to it!

Sounds like a lost opportunity definitely. Probably the wrong time to raise funding for it then. Ahead of its time, i think.

Its very difficult raising cash for films. If you look at the Winstanley project, it says FREEDOM films are producing it. But , search for that company and it doesn't seem to exist? A lot of chancers seem to set up their own production company and pretend a film is going ahead, in a bid to generate more funding. When in reality, they have NO FUNDING at all. Its a chancers technique, hence Russ and Co want to get footage of the potential market (young soulsters) onto a website, so they can show potential funders that there is a market to sell to with a film....

Social source share

Sounds like a lost opportunity definitely. Probably the wrong time to raise funding for it then. Ahead of its time, i think.

Its very difficult raising cash for films. If you look at the Winstanley project, it says FREEDOM films are producing it. But , search for that company and it doesn't seem to exist? A lot of chancers seem to set up their own production company and pretend a film is going ahead, in a bid to generate more funding. When in reality, they have NO FUNDING at all. Its a chancers technique, hence Russ and Co want to get footage of the potential market (young soulsters) onto a website, so they can show potential funders that there is a market to sell to with a film....

Yes, I know exactly how hard it is PAUL, but as you have pointed out, what they are doing is standard practise with movies...And to be honest, there is always a 'bluff' element when you are pitching a project as you well know! Its just the blatant cynicism of RUSS that gets to people, I mean CD's, DVD'S, TV SHOWS, PLAYS, MOVIES, still believe he is better ignored tho....have PM'd you on the subject.thumbsup.gif

Edited by chorleysoul
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert