Soulful Gems Tucked Away?

Raym

Hi all, sorry if this has been asked before.

I picked up a couple of cheap easy to find records recently from Ebay. I was just wondering if there are anymore (how many more!) gems tucked away like the following that are worth seeking out?

First up is Doris Troy "But I love him" (photo and sound clip below). This is flip side to her I'll do anything (anything he wants me to do)". As far as I know this Cameo Parkway track is only on this UK Mojo lable and the only way to get it. What a great track!

https://www.soul-sour...-but-i-love-him

post-7608-12489613727565_thumb.jpg

Second example being Lorraine Chandlers version of "Love you baby" on Black Magic. Great version. Again the only way to get it on legit Vinyl?

https://www.soul-sour...r-love-you-baby

post-7608-12489614039765_thumb.jpg

Any more suggestions? (Not thinking about the more recent releases on likes of Grapevine and Kent)

Thanks, Ray Mahoney

Edited by Raym
Social source share

• Replies 52
  • Views 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest SoulRenaissance

I picked up a couple of cheap easy to find records recently from Ebay. I was just wondering if there are anymore (how many more!) gems tucked away like the following that are worth seeking out?

First up is Doris Troy "But I love him" (photo and sound clip below). This is flip side to her I'll do anything (anything he wants me to do)". As far as I know this Cameo Parkway track is only on this UK Mojo lable and the only way to get it. What a great track!

https://www.soul-sour...-but-i-love-him

Second example being Lorraine Chandlers version of "Love you baby" on Black Magic. Great version. Again the only way to get it on legit Vinyl?

https://www.soul-sour...r-love-you-baby

Any more suggestions? (Not thinking about the more recent releases on likes of Grapevine and Kent)

Thanks, Ray Mahoney

Ray

Check out Simon White's excellenet series of articles in Manifesto on UK only issued items. Should be some more nice cheap unissued b-sides.

Martyn

Social source share

Yes Ray , THE FABULOUS DENO'S :shades:

:thumbsup: Mak, I was more thinking along the lines of quality tracks tucked away on likes of UK Mojo or Black Magic when that is the only way to get it on a legit 45. Glad the Deno's arrived ok by the way! :thumbup:

Social source share

Ray

Check out Simon White's excellenet series of articles in Manifesto on UK only issued items. Should be some more nice cheap unissued b-sides.

Martyn

Hi Martyn, glad someone got the right 'end of the stick' on this one!!

Thanks for the tip - must confess I havent seen the articles in Manifesto. Just need to see if I can get the relevant copies!

Ray

Edited by Raym
Social source share

Guest SoulRenaissance

Hi Martyn, glad someone got the right 'end of the stick' on this one!!

Thanks for the tip - must confess I havent seen the articles in Manefesto. Just need to see if I can get the relevant copies!

Ray

I'll dig them out over the weekend. Or you could try asking someone at Manifesto for back issues. They were a regular feature. Barring that i could get them copied for you given time.

Martyn

Social source share

Thanks, Ray Mahoney

But it's not Lorraine Chandler is it? Thought I remember talk that it's just another scam ?

Social source share

This is a Canadian recording and came out on Arc in Canada.

Yes, thats right - no USA release but out on Arc in Canada. Maybe another interesting topic - the Canadian releases of Soul 45's. I know of a couple of interesting ones on the orange coloured Canadian Columbia lable eg: Mike Watson "I dig your kind" which is also out on the US lable Etah.

Thanks for your input, Ray
Social source share

Hi Dave, thanks for your input - It sounds like Lorraine Chandler to me! g.gif Can anyone else add to the question?

Dave, good to chat with yourself and Dave Rimmer at Boogaloo last night. Mr Rimmer says it isn't Larraine Chandler! g.gif He also mentioned there are a few other interesting 45's out on lables like UK Contemporaries - forget what he said now but recons one particular track that is on a USA lable has a different backing to what was put out on the UK Contemporaries lable - namely that the UK release has female backing singers which the USA one dosn't have. All very interesting!

Thanks again Dave.

Ray

Edited by Raym
Social source share

Dave, good to chat with yourself and Dave Rimmer at Boogaloo last night. Mr Rimmer says it isn't Larraine Chandler! g.gif He also mentioned there are a few other interesting 45's out on lables like UK Contemporaries - forget what he said now but recons one particular track that is on a USA lable has a different backing to what was put out on the UK Contemporaries lable - namely that the UK release has female backing singers which the USA one dosn't have. All very interesting!

Thanks again Dave.

Ray

Is it this Deon Jackson

ROD

Social source share

Is it this Deon Jackson

ROD

Hi Rod, thanks for your input - yes that's the one! I have copied a link to hear the release by Deon Jackson on the Calla lable bellow so you can hear the them both. I must admit I like the the UK Contempories version with the female backing. How about you (and anyone else reading?). Thanks, Ray
Social source share

Thanks, Ray Mahoney

Most certainly UK only release Ray.. But it did, first, come out on UK C.Parkway, with the Mojo release a straight re-issue of the two CP sides. thumbsup.gif

I just recently got rid of a copy - very attractive price, too.. good.gif

As an 'extension' on this thread - I've been told that there is a UK only 'Compilation' LP.. Including an elongated version of Dobie Gray's classic 'Out On The Floor'. Being an avid LP collector, That's the sort of thing that tickles me tonsils !! ph34r.gif

Fingers shades.gif
Social source share

whistling.gif

Most certainly UK only release Ray.. But it did, first, come out on UK C.Parkway, with the Mojo release a straight re-issue of the two CP sides. thumbsup.gif

I just recently got rid of a copy - very attractive price, too.. good.gif

As an 'extension' on this thread - I've been told that there is a UK only 'Compilation' LP.. Including an elongated version of Dobie Gray's classic 'Out On The Floor'. Being an avid LP collector, That's the sort of thing that tickles me tonsils !! ph34r.gif

Fingers shades.gif

Wouldn't that be on something like Inferno/Destiny/Black Magic ? Pretty sure that there was an elongated version of Tainted Love in the late 70s I guess it would be. I think some clever sod just played around in the studio. As good as they were in their day I don't think I'd really want to heat an extended version of either whistling.gif

Social source share

whistling.gif

Wouldn't that be on something like Inferno/Destiny/Black Magic ? Pretty sure that there was an elongated version of Tainted Love in the late 70s I guess it would be. I think some clever sod just played around in the studio. As good as they were in their day I don't think I'd really want to heat an extended version of either whistling.gif

Au contrare mon ami.. By all accounts it is a 60's release.

Obviously I don't know 100% - or else I'd have said LP - but my sources are more than one, and (usually) reliable stalwarts for this type of trivia. Even to the point of sometimes providing explanations as to the actual why's & wherefore's of such delights. tumbleweed3.gif

Edited by FickleFingers
Social source share

Hi Rod, thanks for your input - yes that's the one! I have copied a link to hear the release by Deon Jackson on the Calla lable bellow so you can hear the them both. I must admit I like the the UK Contempories version with the female backing. How about you (and anyone else reading?). Thanks, Ray

https://www.soul-sour...ant-go-on-carla

The price has gone up for the Contempo Rarites copy, as its such a great version!

Have seen it for £30-£40.

More than a USA original.

Social source share

Obviously I don't know 100% - or else I'd have said LP - but my sources are more than one, and (usually) reliable stalwarts for this type of trivia. Even to the point of sometimes providing explanations as to the actual why's & wherefore's of such delights. :tumbleweed3:

But you did say LP ? (or am i losing the plot here?)

Anyway if your sources are reliable It's likely that they're correct ..mine was just an (un)educated guess :good:

Social source share

Here's a nice B-side to check out. It's the B-side of the '71 reissue of "River Deep Mountain High" on A&M (sorry, can't do a sound clip at the mo).

Thanks for this posting - I tried to locate a sound clip to add to your photo - anybody help? Also tried my luck on Ebay and Gemm to see if any copies going. This one could easily be listed for the "River deep - mountain high" side and as such go for a couple of pounds if not less.

Also, thanks guys (Dave, Johnny etc.. ) for your valuable input so far. yes.gif

Ray

Social source share

But it's not Lorraine Chandler is it? Thought I remember talk that it's just another scam ?

Was'nt that one of those Simon Soussan tracks that John Bratton sneaked onto vinyl along with thumb a ride et al by made up artists names and delberate misleading names?? Bugger he came up with some shite, Soussan that is. Tony T BONE. OZ. K.T.F.

Social source share

whistling.gif

I have that on a 12" Inferno single. other side has a mix of 60's standards (6T's house party) . Newbeats, Fidels, The Furys. etc

post-14474-12493660214238_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Thanks for this posting - I tried to locate a sound clip to add to your photo - anybody help? Also tried my luck on Ebay and Gemm to see if any copies going. This one could easily be listed for the "River deep - mountain high" side and as such go for a couple of pounds if not less.

Also, thanks guys (Dave, Johnny etc.. ) for your valuable input so far. :yes:

Ray

True - and, as a result, mine cost me 50p a year ago!

It does go for a dirt cheap price in view of the A-side, plus the B-side isn't known as far as I'm aware. I think the RC Price Guide values it at only £5. But I reckon this could easily be found in bargain boxes around the country.

Just needs a few DJs and tape/CD people behind it to give it that kick-start it deserves!

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

You may be able to listen to a 28 sec. clip of Oh Baby on here (Track 9):

https://www.amazon.co...agSuffix=dp_img

Hi, thanks for looking into this. I tried your link and I reckon Amazon have got the sound files all mixed up as track 9 sounds nothing like it!!

I found another track listing for the same album which has track 9 correctly loaded up.

Try this link instead for track 9 "Oh Baby" https://www.legalsounds.com/download-mp3/ike-&-tina-turner/river-deep---mountain-high/album_7745?a_aid=54

Nice track - bargain at 50p

Social source share

Obviously I don't know 100% - or else I'd have said LP - but my sources are more than one, and (usually) reliable stalwarts for this type of trivia. Even to the point of sometimes providing explanations as to the actual why's & wherefore's of such delights. tumbleweed3.gif

The LP is called Out of Sight.....the soundtrack to an apparently forgettable 1966 spy spoof/beach movie....the Dobie Gray track comes in at 3 mins 15sec.....as compared to the Charger 2 mins 45sec 45.....everythings slightly elongated...with a nifty finish which nails it as being diff.....this is a British one...which has no sleeve..(i suspect it may not have got a proper UK release )....The label suggests American Decca...this is out of Dave Alcocks collection.....i havent got round to selling it for his family yet....a rarity for sure....ive scanned some interesting info....

post-1770-12493997399335_thumb.jpg

post-1770-124939976615_thumb.jpg

Edited by platters 81
Social source share

The LP is called Out of Sight.....the soundtrack to an apparently forgettable 1966 spy spoof/beach movie....the Dobie Gray track comes in at 3 mins 15sec.....as compared to the Charger 2 mins 45.....everythings slightly elongated...with a nifty finish which nails it as being diff.....this is a British one...which has no sleeve..(i suspect it may not have got a proper UK release )....The label suggests American Decca...this is out of Dave Alcocks collection.....i havent got round to selling it for his family yet....a rarity for sure....ive scanned some interesting info....

Bloody hell! Didn't even know it existed.

Surely this must be as rare as the Len Barry UK LP with no sleeve.

Social source share

The LP is called Out of Sight.....the soundtrack to an apparently forgettable 1966 spy spoof/beach movie....the Dobie Gray track comes in at 3 mins 15sec.....as compared to the Charger 2 mins 45sec 45.....everythings slightly elongated...with a nifty finish which nails it as being diff.....this is a British one...which has no sleeve..(i suspect it may not have got a proper UK release )....The label suggests American Decca...this is out of Dave Alcocks collection.....i havent got round to selling it for his family yet....a rarity for sure....ive scanned some interesting info....

correct platters it did come out on usa decca and i would love to see the film i bet its real cheesy,!!!unsure.gifph34r.gif

a uk soundtrack/movie lp collector would love this this, as you say no uk issue of this ???????

post-9436-12494112257425.jpg

Social source share

Thanks for all the various postings so far - Some interesting info coming out!good.gif

Great info on the Ike & Tina Turner, Ernie & Ed and the Deon Jackson so far - I'm keeping my eye out on Ebay and Gemm for these! biggrin.gif

Back to the original question - are there anymore Soulful &/or interesting 45's out there on UK lables like Contempo-Raries, Jay Boy, Mojo etc.. that are not on USA releases? g.gif

Thanks again, Ray Mahoney

Social source share

Back to the original question - are there anymore Soulful &/or interesting 45's out there on UK lables like Contempo-Raries, Jay Boy, Mojo etc.. that are not on USA releases? g.gif

The UK release of "Hung Up On Your Love" by The Montclairs on Contempo is a longer mix... which is nice.

Sam & Dave do a nice string-drenched version of Stretch's "Why Did You Do It", again on Contempo... sure there's plenty more.

It's interesting how Contempo was always viewed as a crap UK re-issue label, but there's plenty of wee gems which are just coming to the surface, re-evaluated after 30 odd years...

Social source share

Not sure whether they ever came out in the U.S. but these are all goodies IMO....

"Tears Of Joy" - Ray Merrell Jay Boy

"What Can I Say" - Watson T. Browne PYE

"Lord If You're A Woman" - Darlene Love Spector International (also came out on a one-sided UK promo 12")

"Love Has No Pride" - Paul Kendrick Private Stock

There's loads actually. I sold quite a few to Simon White in the late 90's 'cos he collects the stuff. I'll do a UK 7" trawl through the shelves and see what else I can find.......

Ian D :smile:

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

The UK release of "Hung Up On Your Love" by The Montclairs on Contempo is a longer mix... which is nice.

Sam & Dave do a nice string-drenched version of Stretch's "Why Did You Do It", again on Contempo... sure there's plenty more.

It's interesting how Contempo was always viewed as a crap UK re-issue label, but there's plenty of wee gems which are just coming to the surface, re-evaluated after 30 odd years...

Thanks for your contribution.

Photo of the Contempo release of "Hung up on your love" shows time as 2min 43secs

post-7608-12500263289898_thumb.jpeg

Just looking out for a clip of it on Contempo and on Paula to compare.

Are you sure its a longer mix? Link here on Youtube looks like its the same ie. 2.43?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnqwoPOxO0U

post-7608-12500263289898_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Raym
Social source share

Guest SoulRenaissance

Not sure whether they ever came out in the U.S. but these are all goodies IMO....

"Lord If You're A Woman" - Darlene Love Spector International (also came out on a one-sided UK promo 12")

There's loads actually. I sold quite a few to Simon White in the late 90's 'cos he collects the stuff. I'll do a UK 7" trawl through the shelves and see what else I can find.......

It's a wonder none of those knowledgable British collectors like Pete Smith etc, haven't contributed something more to this thread. As reading various bits and pieces there seems to be a large number of these oddball releases, like Dee Dee Warwick "Worth every tear", Major Lance "I'm the one". Both UK isssue only 45's. Then there's the Euro EP's, with different cuts and not on US 45 tracks.

Haven't forgot the articles Ray, but life is full at the moment. Been getting my own files in proper order.

Martyn

Social source share

Oh yeah, lest I forget I found a GREAT duet of Jackie Wilson and Erma Franklin doing "I Get The Sweetest Feeling" - on a U.K. Joe Boy 12". Certainly never issued in the U.S.

It's probably Glenn Gunton doing some studio trickery between the two original versions but it sounds great to my ears. I played it on the show last Sunday in fact......

Ian D :)

Social source share

Guest SoulRenaissance

It's a wonder none of those knowledgable British collectors like Pete Smith etc, haven't contributed something more to this thread. As reading various bits and pieces there seems to be a large number of these oddball releases, like Dee Dee Warwick "Worth every tear", Major Lance "I'm the one". Both UK isssue only 45's. Then there's the Euro EP's, with different cuts and not on US 45 tracks.

Haven't forgot the articles Ray, but life is full at the moment. Been getting my own files in proper order.

Martyn

Social source share

Martyn

Thanks Martyn

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert