Isley Brothers,whose That Lady

arnie j

• Replies 23
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I'm guessing you mean the original 1964 version.

United Artists release but no idea on price.

Seem to think it came out on a LP as well.

Someone will confirm that I'm sure.

not sure which version mate, its quite funky with 60s horns,in a 60s newie stylee !

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

thats the one bud, cheers, im shocked that thats 1964 ! sounds 70s to me, anyone know how much for one ?

If you think this version is funky the 70s version is brilliant and great guitar work from Ernie Isley. I prefer the 70s version myself. The later version was also released on a 45 Tabs, on T-Neck in 1973. Unfortunately it's gets a bit crap towards the end when Ernie launches into rock solo mode. The best version is an edit on a Stateside comp LP at 3.09.

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Hi Matt,

Hope you and the family are all OK.

See you in a few weeksbiggrin.gif

The 1973 version was also released on UK Epic as That Lady.

The reason I didn't mention it was because I assumed everyone would know that, and went for the earlier version.

Cheers

Tabs

If you think this version is funky the 70s version is brilliant and great guitar work from Ernie Isley. I prefer the 70s version myself. The later version was also released on a 45 Tabs, on T-Neck in 1973. Unfortunately it's gets a bit crap towards the end when Ernie launches into rock solo mode. The best version is an edit on a Stateside comp LP at 3.09.

Social source share

ISLEY BROS.UNITED ARTISTS714WHO'S THAT LADY / MY LITTLE GIRL

Shouldn't cost more than £40, but doesn't come up often and is usually on styrene so M- ones seem few and far between. An old SITC play of mine from about 5 years ago. Always get asked what it is when I play it out.

Social source share

Shouldn't cost more than £40, but doesn't come up often and is usually on styrene so M- ones seem few and far between. An old SITC play of mine from about 5 years ago. Always get asked what it is when I play it out.

I think it was released on UK Stateside 45 in 1964; but I could be wrong. Any British collectors able to clarify?

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I think it was released on UK Stateside 45 in 1964; but I could be wrong. Any British collectors able to clarify?

It's on a Stateside LP - Lets Go. Craig Moerer has one for $18.

Not sure about a 45 release. I thought Epic was the only UK release.

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Always get asked what it is when I play it out.

are you, thats amazing indeed ohmy.gif! Its strange how sometimes the rarest tracks are known to most whereas great "common" stuff like this gets overlooked. Maybe I should cover up my old Islys on Wand then wink.gif

This is a great tune in both versions...Jan from HH played it at the anniversray warm up this month. It had me screaming from the other end of the bar "Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!" thumbup.gif

Social source share

It's on a Stateside LP - Lets Go. Craig Moerer has one for $18.

Not sure about a 45 release. I thought Epic was the only UK release.

I don't think that was an original lp, it's an 80's release (comp), they didn't release the 1964 version of 'who's that lady' on anything other than the united artists 45. The 70's version on epic was a massive global hit of course, but the '64 single bombed and didn't get any release outside the USA. It took me years to find this 45, very elusive, and in the end cost me about $3 as a chance find. If it was on stateside i'd be surprised as i've never seen it listed in any discography, and the UA LP doesn't feature the track. It is available for download on amazon for 69p though!

cheers Sutty

Edited by Sutty
Social source share

are you, thats amazing indeed :ohmy:! Its strange how sometimes the rarest tracks are known to most whereas great "common" stuff like this gets overlooked. Maybe I should cover up my old Islys on Wand then :wink:

This is a great tune in both versions...Jan from HH played it at the anniversray warm up this month. It had me screaming from the other end of the bar "Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!" :thumbup:

Certainly is strange Marc, but odd versions of very well known tunes quite often elicit this kind of response. Kellee Patterson's Barry White cover also springs to mind as does the Royale VII version of Chicago's "Does anyone really know what time it is", although admittedly this one's a bit more obscure.

Edited by Paul McKay
Social source share

hi,

i've also got it on a 1987 lp compilation,

whats happening stateside

a sampler for a load of lps they were putting out at the time,

joe.

Cracking LP that,

Garnet Mimms, Lou Rawls, Aaron Neville Etc Etc.

Think it was about 1.99 biggrin.gif

Coukd have done without Nutbush City Limits though.

F*ckin awful.

Tony

Social source share

Certainly is strange Marc, but odd versions of very well known tunes quite often elicit this kind of response. Kellee Patterson's Barry White cover also springs to mind as does the Royale VII version of Chicago's "Does anyone really know what time it is", although admittedly this one's a bit more obscure.

You're right Paul! Since I've been playing it out, it's provoked a positive reaction EVERY time cos the song is so well known from the '71 hit. I do remember seeing it on one of your play lists from a while back and wondered then what it was like! And bugger me when i finally get the UA 45 i then find it's on the 'What's happening Stateside' LP which i've had since it first came out :blush:

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Guest welshruss

hi,

i've also got it on a 1987 lp compilation,

whats happening stateside

a sampler for a load of lps they were putting out at the time,

joe.

Joe,

If there,s a rare version,it goes without saying - you will have it - enigma,thats what you are.Nice one.

Got a tasty 12 of it tho.Will be playing it at the Formby Halls,Atherton,Aug 15th...be there

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert