Edwin Starr - Stop Her On Sight/i Have Faith In You

• Replies 16
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

A friend has 'Stop her on sight' b/w I have faith in you on a red Ric Tic 109.

Apparently it plays very quiet is it a bad pressing or bootleg?

If it's Kev's I had a good look at it on Saturday night and I'm convinced it's dodgy.

Because:

1) It is vinyl with moulded on label not styrene.

2) The ZTSC number is scratched on.

3) It looks and feels too new and fresh (subjective I know).

4) The sound quality is appalling.

Compating it to mine, the label is a fuller red colour, it's styrene with ZTSC number stamped and it plays clear as a bell.

I reckon it's either a boot or a counterfeit. In the case of a boot I can't understand why anyone would want to, it's not rare and copies are easily available. If counterfeit well, there are a myriad of reasons why artist, staff, musicians would want to do this but I'm not convinced due to the "newness" of it. I concluded it was an ill advised boot from the 80's and dubbed from an original record.

If I'm wrong well at least I bumped your post so we can get some other views. thumbsup.gif

Best,

John.

Social source share

If it's Kev's I had a good look at it on Saturday night and I'm convinced it's dodgy.

Because:

1) It is vinyl with moulded on label not styrene.

2) The ZTSC number is scratched on.

3) It looks and feels too new and fresh (subjective I know).

4) The sound quality is appalling.

Compating it to mine, the label is a fuller red colour, it's styrene with ZTSC number stamped and it plays clear as a bell.

I reckon it's either a boot or a counterfeit. In the case of a boot I can't understand why anyone would want to, it's not rare and copies are easily available. If counterfeit well, there are a myriad of reasons why artist, staff, musicians would want to do this but I'm not convinced due to the "newness" of it. I concluded it was an ill advised boot from the 80's and dubbed from an original record.

The vinyl copy is a boot, all your points above are good.

Don't know if they were done at the same time, but other vinyl with moulded label Ric Tics are boots:- J.J.Barnes - Please Let Me In, Laura Lee - To Win Your Heart, Rose Battiste - Holding Hands.

Social source share

In J.M's there is a (rarer?) L.A vinyl press.

So am I right in thinking not all vinyl copies are counterfeit?

Rarer!!!??? It was a zillion seller and certainly a big hit for Ric Tic.

I think it likely that all the vinyl ones are boots - but the one I saw on Saturday definately was. :lol:

John.

Social source share

I bought the exact same boot for £3 from Rob's Records in about '94, without the 100% conviction that it was as kosher as a salami.

So after typing that, I thought it best to try and buy a legit issue....ordered a red ric tic from Manship; it arrived today and is identical to the 'boot'(?) I bought 15 years ago. The pressing is really strong untilt he end when the vocals distort. Scratched matrix etc.

Now I'm confused.

Social source share

Guest Hunnymon

I'm not sure were I got this bit of information from - that Edwin was a little unsure of calling it S.O.S when actually it is S.H.O.S.

However Ed Wingate the lable owner said "no one will ever notice that"!

I guess that he was right!

Social source share

So after typing that, I thought it best to try and buy a legit issue....ordered a red ric tic from Manship; it arrived today and is identical to the 'boot'(?) I bought 15 years ago. The pressing is really strong untilt he end when the vocals distort. Scratched matrix etc.

Now I'm confused.

hmm considering Manship said "so my thoughts are it was a 60s boot.." in the other thread, someone needs to clarify this once & for all. My instinct is that it could go either way, a licensed "other region" pressing or a vintage counterfeit. It doesn't look convincing to me considering the look of other Ric-Tics, but that doesn't really mean much as different pressing plants may have been messing around with different type fonts on a certain day & none of us would ever really know for sure unless we were the actual person in charge of the letraset that day. It's a weird one, but really if it's that upsetting, just go buy a styrene copy & file both :tongue:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert