Warps

Guest jish

OK. This ones probably bin done to death already but I'll throw it up anyway. What constitutes a warp ie:- bends that are still playable? and at what point should a warp start affecting the price of a record your interested in buying? wicked.gif

Edited by jish
Social source share

• Replies 17
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

OK. This ones probably bin done to death already but I'll throw it up anyway. What constitutes a warp ie:- bends that are still playable? and at what point should a warp start affecting the price of a record your interested in buying? :huh:

link

Interesting...

Edited by jish
Social source share

OK. This ones probably bin done to death already but I'll throw it up anyway. What constitutes a warp ie:- bends that are still playable? and at what point should a warp start affecting the price of a record your interested in buying? :huh:

link

IMO a warp is a bend in the vinyl which you can clearly see coz your arm goes up and down like a roller coaster! :huh:

Should affect price as it's not perfect, however if it plays ie. without the stylus going ski jumping, then shouldn't be too much.

I have heard that people claim to straighten warps out, however can't remember them and have never tried. I've only got a few pices of vinyl that are warped, however all play fine...

Social source share

Probably just me getting a bit paranoid then  :huh:

link

My demo of The Vashonettes has a warp in it. It's perfect in everyway apart from the little molehill in the opening section of the 45. I got it for an astounding £5! Off a well known dealer as well. It plays fine on most stylus' but there's no way I could have spun it at the 100 Club cos the Stantons there are real flat.

Best way to cure a warp is to put it between two plates of glass and put it in the airing cabinet with a book on it. Not too heavy mind. Overnight, it's melted VERY slowly and should be like a pancake by the morning....

Social source share

My demo of The Vashonettes has a warp in it. It's perfect in everyway apart from the little molehill in the opening section of the 45. I got it for an astounding £5! Off a well known dealer as well. It plays fine on most stylus' but there's no way I could have spun it at the 100 Club cos the Stantons there are real flat.

Best way to cure a warp is to put it between two plates of glass and put it in the airing cabinet with a book on it. Not too heavy mind. Overnight, it's melted VERY slowly and should be like a pancake by the morning....

link

Glen Bellamy advised me this was the best cure not tried it myself yet!! left three records in the car yeasterday and they all warped :huh: so im on the look out for suitible glass

Social source share

link

Yeah, I've heard of this method. (mind you in an oven rather than an airing cupboard) I may dig out some of the girlfriends old vinyl to try it out on first! :huh:

Social source share

You need to make sure that the surfaces of the glass are absolutley clean and free from dust. Otherwise any foreign particles may become embedded in the vinyl as it melts.

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

You need to make sure that the surfaces of the glass are absolutley clean and free from dust. Otherwise any foreign particles may become embedded in the vinyl as it melts.

link

Or leave them in a paper sleeve, or wrapped in sliver foil. This doesn't get them completely flat if the pressing has a label that stands proud. The Japanese have made a machine for flattening warps, costs about $1000. It takes several hours. I wonder if someone bought one they could make some money out of offering a flattening service?

Social source share

link

I would say anything that make the vinyl not lay flat on the platter. And a warp does not make the record playable. Yes it doeas affect the price i.e if you have 2 copies of a record infront of you, at the same price, one has a warp and one doesnt you will but the one without a warp. Therefore, the price has to be reduced on the warped copy (obviuosly the rarer the record the more the price difference between good and warped reduices).

Social source share

Or leave them in a paper sleeve, or wrapped in sliver foil.  This doesn't get them completely flat if the pressing has a label that stands proud.  The Japanese have made a machine for flattening warps, costs about $1000.  It takes several hours.  I wonder if someone bought one they could make some money out of offering a flattening service?

link

You could always make some spacers out of card or paper to lift the record and get enough pressure on the 'risen' area of the vinyl :huh:

Social source share

I have heard that people claim to straighten warps out, however can't remember them and have never tried. I've only got a few pices of vinyl that are warped, however all play fine...

link

Was told of 2 ways to remove a warp, but sods law my warped stuff is worth a fair bit so have nothing to try it on....

Here's what to do:

(1) The oven ( :huh: )

Put the record in a low heat oven for 10 minutes or so. Take it out and flattening it using 2 pieces of glass........... should you be able to find 2 spare sheets of glass :huh:

(2) The pan ( :huh: )

Boil a pan of water. Line inside of pan with something (cloth etc) to avoid record melting on side wall. Turn hob off and put record in for a few mins wacko.gif take out and as it's not squashy hot shape by hand, or again using the glass.

Fiver to the first person to try either :huh:

Social source share

Was told of 2 ways to remove a warp, but sods law my warped stuff is worth a fair bit so have nothing to try it on....

Here's what to do:

(1) The oven ( :huh: )

Put the record in a low heat oven for 10 minutes or so. Take it out and flattening it using 2 pieces of glass........... should you be able to find 2 spare sheets of glass :huh:

(2) The pan ( :huh: )

Boil a pan of water. Line inside of pan with something (cloth etc) to avoid record melting on side wall. Turn hob off and put record in for a few mins wacko.gif take out and as it's not squashy hot shape by hand, or again using the glass.

Fiver to the first person to try either laugh.gif

link

Had ideas about putting a record in a microwave, but that was purley for destructive reasons :huh::huh:

Social source share

Had ideas about putting a record in a microwave, but that was purley for destructive reasons :P   :thumbsup:

link

Would you put an Ian Levine record in the microwave ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????/ :P:P

Social source share

Would have much the same effect as an oven I would think 007

link

ERm, no it wouldn't since anything less than an inch thick in a microwave cooks from the inside out. And is therefore likely to fry your pretty grooves from the middle outwards! I wouldn't expect many grooves left on it. Though I'm happy for someone to prove me wrong. But I want a full video of the experiment.....

Social source share

ERm, no it wouldn't since anything less than an inch thick in a microwave cooks from the inside out. And is therefore likely to fry your pretty grooves from the middle outwards! I wouldn't expect many grooves left on it. Though I'm happy for someone to prove me wrong. But I want a full video of the experiment.....

link

The cooking from the inside out thing is a myth try it with a bit of beef :P

Social source share

For F***KS sake, if the "Warped" record is not affected when played then do not play with physics, Jesus Christ this very topic has given me a bad case of the "Soaking Sweats", knowing my rather fickle and unstable mental behaviour, i am likely to imagine a cherished 45' has a "Nerve Rattling" curve that only a Oxy Settling Torch can rectify.....all this my friends will have foul and hideous consequences.........

Edited by Brett
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert