Johnny Rivers

• Replies 13
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I,ll second nickinstoke opinion on this track al wilsons version is far superior, also check out his brilliant searching for the dolphins lp full of the same type of stuff.

There's a few versions of this knocking about?

btw Flanny was playing a Dutch group soul version of it at one time at The Orwell too! Covered it up as 'Gene Page & The Bracelets' the little rascal BUT we soon rumbled it!

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Guest s0ul45

Don't think there is a Motown version. I think the Al Wilson version is a bit over embellished. It's a simple tune with a simple lyric and I think Johnny Rivers, as the author, provides the best interpretation of the song.

Social source share

Great oldie, big hit in the USA, loved it back in the day, but wouldn't really have thought of it as a soul record. Guess that doesn't matter.

Was there a version by a Motown group?

Just thinking that - It's supposedly either the Monitors or Originals - I got an unlabelled 7" acetate about 10/12 years ago, tried to find out about it but didn't get far until this very site produced a sound clip of it many years later, credited to one of those two groups (no idea if that artist accreditation was accurate though, but it does sound Motownish).

Cheers

Mick

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

The 5th Dimension's stunning, mostly-acapella version is the daddy of 'em all as far as I'm concerned....

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Mickey Jones also had a recurring role in "Roseanne". Can't remember the name of his character but he was on the show throughout its golden years.

He was also the drummer for Kenny Rogers and the First Edition and info doesn't really get much more useless than that...

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

boxing.gifHi I meant to reply to this article? but it finished as quick as it started, What I wanted to say was in the early days of hunting down N/S finds and the new biggie. as most of the older collectors know, there were no price guides as such, I am not sure when Findagroove came along? (I will dig it out some time?) but we all looked for little give aways written on the label. this was the best way of not going home with every 45 you did not know? one of the clues was indeed Johnny Rivers as a writer. and it still is worth checking him out, This is perhaps my favourite of his maybe not his best but it still sounds fresh in 2009, as I have not learnt how to put record sound clips on yet? here is a scan of my Demo. I can strongly recommend it to all on Soul Source! price wise, about £5-10 but you know what happens once a tune gets spungood.gif DTHRDUG say,s buy it know while its a Birdie.ph34r.gif DAVE KIL.

post-13241-12497708825302_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert