Djs In The Modern Room

Guest kelvinx

Guest kelvinx

Apologies if this has been covered before but here goes...

Heard a few potentially nice sets recently that have been spoilt by "car crash" mixing.

If you mix well then great...but if you can't PLEASE wait until you've cracked it before trying it on an unsuspecting dancefloor.

Social source share

• Replies 18
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Apologies if this has been covered before but here goes...

Heard a few potentially nice sets recently that have been spoilt by "car crash" mixing.

If you mix well then great...but if you can't PLEASE wait until you've cracked it before trying it on an unsuspecting dancefloor.

'Pots and pans thrown down the stairs' is how I heard someone mention this kind of soulboy house mixing. Made me laugh! Still, it's better than when they put the needle on the very first beat of a 10 minute intro and don't take it off till long after the song has finished and we're listening to the very end of the 10 minute ending. :thumbsup: where's my Drizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzza bone records.

Jordi

Social source share

To be honest, the mixing scenario has never bothered me when listening to a DJ playing house in a modern room, granted a crap effort at mixing can be amusing, but for me as a person of 'modern' persuasion, what has always been lacking with the vast majority of modern DJs who play house is their inability to actually pick a decent song and choosing their sets based solely round the beat and whichever mix of a track fits in with what they're already playing. Personally I've always been, and still am, a lover of quality soulful dance/house music but only if the track is based around a decent melody and song structure and would far rather listen to a DJ who's crap at mixing but at least has the ear to pick great song after great song in a set, rather than somebody who can make them all join up without you being able to hear where but all that's coming out of the speakers for an hour is a boring dull thud thud thud that only a handful of pill popping wizzing off their tits dancers are sweating their arses off to. 20 minutes of house music in any one set in a modern room is more than enough for me anyway, what say you, Mister smoothmixin'onelinepostin'soulbowllovin' Simon M(ixmeister)? :thumbsup:

Social source share

To be honest, the mixing scenario has never bothered me when listening to a DJ playing house in a modern room, granted a crap effort at mixing can be amusing, but for me as a person of 'modern' persuasion, what has always been lacking with the vast majority of modern DJs who play house is their inability to actually pick a decent song and choosing their sets based solely round the beat and whichever mix of a track fits in with what they're already playing. Personally I've always been, and still am, a lover of quality soulful dance/house music but only if the track is based around a decent melody and song structure and would far rather listen to a DJ who's crap at mixing but at least has the ear to pick great song after great song in a set, rather than somebody who can make them all join up without you being able to hear where but all that's coming out of the speakers for an hour is a boring dull thud thud thud that only a handful of pill popping wizzing off their tits dancers are sweating their arses off to. 20 minutes of house music in any one set in a modern room is more than enough for me anyway, what say you, Mister smoothmixin'onelinepostin'soulbowllovin' Simon M(ixmeister)? :thumbsup:

Totally agree Rodge. Intelligent choice of tunes that follow each other well and are brought in with skill, whether they are mixed, faded out and faded in or nicely cut in, is much more of an art than beat matching for the sake of it.

Jordi

Social source share

Guest spudmurphy

get it on the decks and play it dont talk all over it and dont leave people stood around on the dance floor waiting end of

Social source share

I would love to be able to mix properly !...........unfortunately I wouldnt know where to start & too embarrassed to find out..........on the occasions when i play soulful house, i tend to cue in to the meat of the tune & fade out early, a lot of intros & outros on these records are DJ tools specifically for mixing purposes, so as i cant do it & i'm not really into records that stray over 4 - 5 mins, this seems to work ok for me........BTW a bit of relevant gobbing off over intros & outros aint a bad thing methinks ?.

Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
Social source share

To be honest, the mixing scenario has never bothered me when listening to a DJ playing house in a modern room, granted a crap effort at mixing can be amusing, but for me as a person of 'modern' persuasion, what has always been lacking with the vast majority of modern DJs who play house is their inability to actually pick a decent song and choosing their sets based solely round the beat and whichever mix of a track fits in with what they're already playing. Personally I've always been, and still am, a lover of quality soulful dance/house music but only if the track is based around a decent melody and song structure and would far rather listen to a DJ who's crap at mixing but at least has the ear to pick great song after great song in a set, rather than somebody who can make them all join up without you being able to hear where but all that's coming out of the speakers for an hour is a boring dull thud thud thud that only a handful of pill popping wizzing off their tits dancers are sweating their arses off to. 20 minutes of house music in any one set in a modern room is more than enough for me anyway, what say you, Mister smoothmixin'onelinepostin'soulbowllovin' Simon M(ixmeister)? laugh.gif

Yep. yes.gif deffo. That's why I get bored after a few hours at some nighters.

I'm great at mixing and I'm a great modern soul DJ...in my own lounge of course.. biggrin.gif

Jayne.x.

Social source share

Has that Livesey boy logged into your account again? laugh.gif

LOL.. No, I said good at mixing, it's definately me!.

Might teach him one day. biggrin.gif

Jayne.x

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

not being funny but i don't get all why we hear some house music and why mix are we dance Dj'S who need to put songs together that go well cause it's simple why can't DJ's just play a song and when it finishes say what it was and next song in no need for prefect mixing

Social source share

not being funny but i don't get all why we hear some house music and why mix are we dance Dj'S who need to put songs together that go well cause it's simple why can't DJ's just play a song and when it finishes say what it was and next song in no need for prefect mixing

Cause some of em' are twenty minutes looooooooooonnnnnnnngggggggggg :lol:

Social source share

Personally, I don't think its too much to ask that a DJ progammes a mix of quality tunes that flow together well, whether mixed or not. I don't see that an ear for a good tune and an ear for beats should be mutually exclusive! IMHO!!

Edited by steveh73
Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

and if If a song was 20 minutes long that would not give much songs for a DJ to play. i think most songs well some modern stuff is say 4 - 5 minutes long.

Social source share

I agree about the importance of song selection over mixing. It seems like the last 15 years soulful house has been more about the smoothest blend than song selection or actually changing up bpms. How can you change the emotions of the dancefloor when you are worried if it will mix together well.imo

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert