Tmg 500S Where Are They ?

Guest welshruss

Guest welshruss

mmmmmmmmm been thinking lately,how many people (hand on heart) can truly say "i,ve got the lot"

C,mon lets see......I,ll start it off by saying "nope aint got em all only got 76 of them" and its taken me over 30 years to get them.

Doesnt matter if they are issues,red & white demos,green & white demo,s WHO has got them all - the full set.

C,mon be honest.

Social source share

• Replies 34
  • Views 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Guest POTTERIESPECK

THE BEST I'VE SEEN WAS NOGGER'S WHO'S A MEMBER ON HERE, I SHOULD IMAGINE IN RAN INTO 100's.I KNOW HE HAS NOT GOT THEM NOW . MAYBE HE CAN INFORM US WHAT HE DID WITH THEM AND HOW MANY HE OWNED.

Social source share

mmmmmmmmm been thinking lately,how many people (hand on heart) can truly say "i,ve got the lot"

C,mon lets see......I,ll start it off by saying "nope aint got em all only got 76 of them" and its taken me over 30 years to get them.

Doesnt matter if they are issues,red & white demos,green & white demo,s WHO has got them all - the full set.

C,mon be honest.

Mick smith will have and probably doubles of a lot of them, I had a full set of r/w and g/w up to 600 but a few have gone now TMG 525 is issue only unless theres a demo sticker on the label i managed to get all the EP's, London,Fontana ,orioles and Stateside in the 1980's alot of those have gone i remember selling the full set of Orioles to Manship for 400 or 500 in the late 80's

Social source share

Someone I know has every Motown related UK 45 right up to TMG 720 (The demo only Edwin Starr and Blinky) then from 721 on until the blue label came in.

Most of the Stateside and Tamla Motown ones are demos.

The Fontana and Oriole ones are all issues - and the London ones are a mixture of issues and single sided demos.

Now what's that little lot worth?

Social source share

Guest veep1296

C,mon be honest.

I had the chance to buy a "complete" UK Motown related collection running from Paul Gayten on London through Oriole Fontana etc up to TMG 800. In hindsight I dropped a bollock and cherry picked... most were issues unless only on Demo.... That was five years ago.. The Tony Martins etc didnt appeal and im a collector who buys to listen rather than to be a completist.

The collection belonged to Owen Pate a Burnley lad now living in Airdrie and now collecting serious "submariner" memorabelia...his former employment.

David

Social source share

:boxing: I would say you are in for a big surprise on this question?:yes: As back in the 7ts I started to try and put them together? however decided to sell up after Finding out Adey had an almost complete collection of all the TMGs, I remember selling hem all in Cambridge on Cup Final Day 1975 after watching West Ham beat Fulham, (and the shame is for the life of me I forget the name of the geezer I watched the game with I think he came from Cherry Hinton way)

Having looked at my Motown records I have about 60% of the 500 series and 17 DEMOS red and whites as well as green and whites. And it is well known that I don't collect the label;? So on my reckoning there must be quite a lot of collectors that have the complete run? and I bet there's also a few complete run of TMGs 500 in Demo form:ph34r: DAVE KIL

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

THE BEST I'VE SEEN WAS NOGGER'S WHO'S A MEMBER ON HERE, I SHOULD IMAGINE IN RAN INTO 100's.I KNOW HE HAS NOT GOT THEM NOW . MAYBE HE CAN INFORM US WHAT HE DID WITH THEM AND HOW MANY HE OWNED.

Another member on S/S ScallyBob from Wigan owns a lot of Demos i remeber years ago 80ish selling him the Temps b,o,s green & white at that time he only needed a few more.

Steve J

Social source share

I completed the UK Motown catalogue in 1989, which included the London, Fontana, Oriole, Stateside stuff. I'd been collecting them since around 1978. Completed the day I found the Spinners Columbia Issue and Demo together in Vinyl Solution for 15UKP each. (Not really Motown but hey ho). The TMGs were demos where applicable up to 900 but the Stateside were a mish mash of issues and demos. In 1991 I sold the entire collection to buy a motorcycle, (which I still own). In 1995 I decided to have a crack at the US catalogue (on Demos where applicable). I gave up three years ago, it was just too overwhelming although I have just about the whole Northern catalogue on mint Demos on all the labels. I've now started on the company's European Pic Sleeves, which I suspect I may also abandon eventually as I'm not sure I want to buy 8 different copies of The Supremes - Where Did Our Love Go! (I have 5 already!)

Social source share

Guest welshruss

This is brilliant reading imo.When i see people have collected all the Fontana,Oriole etc etc especially.

Its something most people dont talk about any more,they are just sitting in collections(getting played at home no doubt)

Any way keep em coming,there must more out there.................Russ

Social source share

ive nowhere near as complete but 500-600 ive got 82 ,18 of which are r/w or g/w. ive got all the miracles fontana,london,fontana,oriole. All the miracles stuff came up on ebay ,all separate listed but all one after the other.no one bidded!. shop around ep,single,mickeys monkey on oriloe etc. great buy.

Social source share

I started trying to complete the TMG 45's last year. I've now got from TMG501-799 on first issue with only 2 ommissions - 506 & 514. Anyone want to part with 'em at a reasonable price? Some of the ones I've got i could do with better copies. Namely 507,508, 519, 537, 541, 551 and 564. Again anyone want part with 'em in VG+ or better condition drop me a PM.

Also got quite a few of the 800's but can't decide whether to go for them all.

The year before I started on the UK albums. I've got all the UK albums that were actually released from 11000 - 11293 in both Mono & Stereo (TML & STML) variants where available, as well as most of the 12000 series too.

Phil

Social source share

I have had all the 500,s a few times in issue & mainly demo form over the last 36 years of collecting.

Got up to 1048 at one point with only a handful missing, had all the EP's inc 2020 :D (in fact it,s the only one i have left still with the LP)

Had a very decent Stateside collection too, gave it to a mate when i joined the forces :angry:

Trying to collect US white demo's is a nightmare !! so many variations and releases :ohmy: gave that up pretty quickly !!

Now i only have about 200 left, a mix of issues and G/W demo's, all for sale (or whats left after been picked through !) Kept a few R/W's for my play box and thats it !!

Just not got the interest or the money these days sadly, not sure i agree with collecting "whole sets" in a year or so, whats the fun in that !!

Ian.

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

. . . . . a mix of issues and G/W demo's, all for sale (or whats left after been picked through !) Kept a few R/W's for my play box . . . . .

Sorry if this a pretty naive question - but can someone just explain why there were both "green & white" and "red & white" demos.

Thanks

MB

Social source share

Mick the owner of Records and Relics in Blackpool has the lot London, Oriole, Stateside etc everything upto 1979 and he is very very particular about condition. Roly Ferguson has first refusal if he ever decides to sell and that was in turn for Roly selling him a complete set of the Motown Appreciation Society magazines that Dave Godin put together along with other memorabilia such as a telegram sent to Dave Godin on the setting up of the Society which I think was from Berry Gordy. I had the fortune to have a read of them while Roly still had them - facinating stuff.

Social source share

Sorry if this a pretty naive question - but can someone just explain why there were both "green & white" and "red & white" demos.

Thanks

MB

Red & White Demos went from TMG501 to TMG579 after that (TMG580 onwards they were Green & White and much later on just plain Black the tightwads !!)

The R/W's have always been considered very tasty and are the most valuable & sought after !!

Can't remember why but think it was something to do with other UK labels looking same (Stateside etc) although they weren't on general sale !! there was also a record No change by Stateside to avoid confusion.

May have been an ink price issue too biggrin.gif Red is mighty expensive laugh.gif

Someone else will know for sure !!

Ian.

Edited by allsouledout
Social source share

Guest MBarrett

Red & White Demos went from TMG501 to TMG579 after that (TMG580 onwards they were Green & White and much later on just plain Black the tightwads !!)

The R/W's have always been considered very tasty and are the most valuable & sought after !!

Can't remember why but think it was something to do with other UK labels looking same (Stateside etc) although they weren't on general sale !! there was also a record No change by Stateside to avoid confusion.

May have been an ink price issue too biggrin.gif Red is mighty expensive laugh.gif

Ian.

Thanks - much appreciated.

MB

Social source share

I not sure i agree with collecting "whole sets" in a year or so, whats the fun in that !!

Ian.

I didn't collect the whole set of albums or 45's in a year, just decided to "complete" the whole set of 45's last year, and album the year before

I started buying them about 1978 or so, and had about 60-70%. I'd just never considered completing them before. Previously I'd considered "most" British releases to have less merit or value.

Phil

Social source share

Red & White Demos went from TMG501 to TMG579

use to have a demo of the four tops - reach out ill be there that was green and white tmg 579, think this was the first one.

regards, bri pinch.

SOULGALORE, CROFTON COMMUNITY CENTRE, 24TH JULY.

SUNDAY CHILLOUT, 16TH AUGUST, HORSE AND GROOM PUB, EAST LAITH GATE, DONCASTER.

Edited by bri pinch
Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

Another member on S/S ScallyBob from Wigan owns a lot of Demos i remeber years ago 80ish selling him the Temps b,o,s red & white at that time he only needed a few more.

changed this after Teds post about the Temps 578, when i posted i was trying to remember if it was green or red and it was a long time ago whistling i've never gone out to buy Brtish demos or issues come to that, at the time i allways went for usa soul records and still do.

Steve J

Social source share

Guest john s

Ian.

Tamla Motown was part of the EMI stable - EMI changed their demo design in late '66 (maybe early '67?), so all the sub-labels changed too.

So the Beatles demo 45s are R/W up to 'Yellow Submarine', G/W from 'Strawberry Fields Forever' onwards...

Social source share

I've now started on the company's European Pic Sleeves, which I suspect I may also abandon eventually as I'm not sure I want to buy 8 different copies of The Supremes - Where Did Our Love Go! (I have 5 already!)

Pic sleeves...mmm...nice :thumbsup:

I'm currently enjoying collecting Japanese Tamla Motown releases...45's, EP's and LP's...demos and stock copies of course...all have pic covers too! I also have the challenge of trying to piece together what exactly came out, as there is no label listing to be found...and the catalogue prefix numbers don't run consecutively! It has similairities with UK releases, as in the early numbers appeared on other labels before the Tamla Motown logo came into being, and some demos of the same catalogue number appear on different coloured labels. My aim is to complete the first 100 45's (up to @ '72), all the EP's and the first 100 LP's (up to @ '73). I will complete this project, oh yes I will! Then there are the general non-Motown Soul releases over here...this project will take, ahem, a little longer, as I seem to turn up new titles every week...amazing what came out over here!

Back to the TMG 500's...we put together all the label scans over on RareSoulForum.co.uk ...think they are still there within one of the old threads.

good.gif

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

Red & White Demos went from TMG501 to TMG578 after that TMG579 onwards they were Green & White

Ian.

Was that when the sleeve colour changed from orange to green (or whatever is the official name for that colour)?

Or were these 2 events totally unconnected??

Thanks

MB

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

Was that when the sleeve colour changed from orange to green (or whatever is the official name for that colour)?

Or were these 2 events totally unconnected??

Thanks

MB

Sleeve changed from Orange to Olive Green in Mid 1960's.

Social source share

Tamla Motown was part of the EMI stable - EMI changed their demo design in late '66 (maybe early '67?), so all the sub-labels changed too.

So the Beatles demo 45s are R/W up to 'Yellow Submarine', G/W from 'Strawberry Fields Forever' onwards...

on a slightly different tack, were MGM uk demos R/W?, yes they were sorry, just checked! they changed to pink/silver in '67 along with other EMI changes.

Edited by Tony Smith
Social source share

Guest MBarrett

So seems that the demo labels of all(or most) of the EMI subsids changed to Green and White.

Did all the sleeves end up shades of green as well?

Pretty sure that Columbia YES, Parlophone YES, Tamla Motown YES.

So maybe it was a corporate image thing to make green the EMI "house colour".

What other possible reason could there be to change those beautiful early orange TM sleeves to OLIVE GREEN??

Sorry if I am talking rubbish - but could make sense??!!

MB

Social source share

Dave

Are the track listings to these EPs the same as the US EP equivelents or are there one or two 'niceties' nestling in there somewhere?

They are mostly hits/obvious tracks, not that I have them all...x23 out of the x30 I'm aware of, so there is still hope!

The sleeves are pretty neat though...some are gate-fold...and come to think of it one of the early Supremes EP has x5 tracks on it rather than x4...odd!

:shades:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert