Hardest Volt 45'

Why is it the given choice that Paul Thompsons "Special Kinda...blah, blah" is the hardest release on Volt.........i see this every month on E-Bay....please Forum tell me what is the hardest release......(I have my own opinion)

Social source share

• Replies 47
  • Views 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Why is it the given choice that Paul Thompsons "Special Kinda...blah, blah" is the hardest release on Volt.........i see this every month on E-Bay....please Forum tell me what is the hardest release......(I have my own opinion)

link

One more chance,is now very hard :D

Social source share

link

Wish i had known that before i gave my spare copy to Rich Bergman for free.........no just kidding the fellow deserved it ....just for being Little Rich :D

Social source share

Guest Jamie

link

Give over you nutter!!! there's loads of 'em :P

I would have said Paul Thompson is still difficult, or at least expensive :D .

Wasn't there a doo-woppy group harmony thingy by the Admirals that was pretty difficult???

Go on then Brent, what's your choice???

Jimbob :D

Social source share

Give over you nutter!!! there's loads of 'em  :P

I would have said Paul Thompson is still difficult, or at least expensive  :D .

Wasn't there a doo-woppy group harmony thingy by the Admirals that was pretty difficult???

Jimbob  :D

link

Jamie you Portugal bound swine.....i said hardest....nothing to do with price.......(my oh my..the impetuous of youth, don't you just love it) :D ......now my choice would be............ :D

Social source share

Give over you nutter!!! there's loads of 'em  :P

I would have said Paul Thompson is still difficult, or at least expensive  :D .

Jimbob  :D

link

Well you can sell me yours,£20 yes i am a nutter,but this nutter dose not do doo wappy group harmony,least my choice is soul!.... :D

Social source share

The Admirals - Got You On My Mind must be pretty tough, but I still think Paul T does it on going rate.

For sheer quality though check out  Jimmy Dotson - I Used To Be A Loser.

Patrick

link

Chris Anderton tells me there are a bundle of PT's out there, i'd have to respect his judgement.......now the demo is extremely hard..... :D

Social source share

Guest Jamie

Well you can sell me yours,£20 yes i am a nutter,but this nutter dose not do doo wappy group harmony,least my choice is soul!.... :P

link

:D Nice one Kenny :D

I'm not a 'barber shop 4' man myself, just heard of the Admirals.

If you keeping looking, you can pick up a MJ on ebay between £30 - £60. There's that many of em, someone always lists it in the wrong section :D

And the question was 'hardest' on Volt, so I answered that question without prejudice :D

Here's one for you:

White Demos

Blue Issues

Orange Issues

and Red Issues??

Yeah I'm thick, but what's the crack with Red Issues???

Stupid Of Leeds

Social source share

Price has nothing to do with rarity, very little anyway. Paul Thompson is expensive because many people want it and there are not enough copies to go around. I am sure there is some very rare oddity on the label, possibly a crap record too, and of little interest to anyone but label collectors. This might not be the case, but if it is I bet it's not too expensive. I had a record on Check Mate that is supposedly one of the hardest on the label(wouldn't know myself), got £25 from a label collector for it, Pat Brady said I should have asked £50 and that it was one of the hardest on the label, shame it was a crap record though, both sides were just plain bad.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Guest Jamie

Jamie you Portugal bound swine.....i said hardest....nothing to do with price.......(my oh my..the impetuous of youth, don't you just love it) :D ......now my choice would be............ :D

link

I take exception to that Sir,

I did say I thought it was hard, and I stand by that, irrespective of price tag.

So put that in your pipe.........

J :D

Social source share

Price has nothing to do with rarity, very little anyway. Paul Thompson is expensive because many people want it and there are not enough copies to go around. I am sure there is some very rare oddity on the label, possibly a crap record too, and of little interest to anyone but label collectors. This might not be the case, but if it is I bet it's not too expensive. I had a record on Check Mate that is supposedly one of the hardest on the label(wouldn't know myself), got £25 from a label collector for it, Pat Brady said I should have asked £50 and that it was one of the hardest on the label, shame it was a crap record though, both sides were just plain bad.

link

Wasn't "Checkmate" a subsidary of Chess that dealt with Detroit artists only Christian ?.........i say this only because Dave Rimmer told me the same not more than 2 weeks ago.

Social source share

Guest Jamie

Red issues are the early ones on the label.... a feww Otis Reddings, The Fleets as mentioned and many more....

link

I've got Emotions 'Stealing Love' on Red Issue, what's that 69? 70?

I'm now confused as well as stoopid :D

Social source share

:D

I'm now confused as well as stoopid  :D

link

Didn't know that mate mines a demo....helluva a record.......have a blinding time young fella...........jealous to death :D

Social source share

Here's one for you:

White Demos

Blue Issues

Orange Issues

and Red Issues??

Stupid Of Leeds

link

Social source share

Wasn't "Checkmate" a subsidary of Chess that dealt with Detroit artists only Christian ?.........i say this only because Dave Rimmer told me the same not more than 2 weeks ago.

link

This is what I have always thought, been told and read. Not sure if it is Detroit artists only on it, but I think it was Detroit based anyway.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Guest Jamie

Here's one for you:

White Demos

Blue Issues

Orange Issues

and Red Issues??

Stupid Of Leeds

link

Dont forget Orange & green issues,stupid maybe we should get together,we`d be the stupid nutters :P

link

Social source share

Dont forget Orange & green issues,stupid maybe we should get together,we`d be the stupid nutters :P

link

Not seen the Orange & Green, I don't think so anyways :D

Stupid Nutters - we sound like a Punk band :D:D:(

link

Social source share

This is what I have always thought, been told and read. Not sure if it is Detroit artists only on it, but I think it was Detroit based anyway.

link

I imagine it was ( as usual) contractual obligations that was the reason behind the label..........once more did certain artists (certain they did) moonlight.....hell we all have to earn a living......fiddling they call it in my trade (Building)

Brett

Social source share

Priceless mate, priceless  :P   :D   :D

link

I`m sure we can work something out, :D comedy like this shouldnt be free.

Kennie :D of comedy.

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

I'm now confused as well as stoopid  :D

link

i have had a blue issue in my sales box quite a while now. nice record :D

Shane

Social source share

link

Brett next time you see one give me a ring mate. Seen one and I was outbid for a fiver..... :D

Paul Thompson is without a doubt the best in the label (IMO anyway) though probably not the rarest... I would say the hardest was the Drapers - Your love has gone away. Think there are only a handful on Volt so price has to be approaching a grand, especially given that it's fetching close to £200 now on Gee, and they're on ebay fairly regularly. After this I would say either Admirals or the Drapels (not the Drapers) but these two probably only book £150-200.

Buy hey what do I know

Billykins

Social source share

The Dino & Doc 45 is pretty hard on an issue copy. Ditto Bessie Banks' immortal "Try To Leave Me If You Can"; I've seen more Paul Thompsons lately than either of these, yet neither commands a pricetag of over £30. Supply and demand and all that, I guess. I would imagine some of the pre-Otis Redding Volt 45s are pretty hard to turn up.

Speaking of Otis Redding, you don't often see copies of early classics like "These Arms Of Mine" or "Pain In My Heart" in decent condition any more.

Social source share

Brett next time you see one give me a ring mate. Seen one and I was outbid for a fiver..... :D

Paul Thompson is without a doubt the best in the label (IMO anyway) though probably not the rarest... I would say the hardest was the Drapers - Your love has gone away. Think there are only a handful on Volt so price has to be approaching a grand, especially given that it's fetching close to £200 now on Gee, and they're on ebay fairly regularly. After this I would say either Admirals or the Drapels (not the Drapers) but these two probably only book £150-200.

Buy hey what do I know

Billykins

link

Good call Billy,Drapers better than Mr Thompson any day of the w... :D

Social source share

As I said before I found 3 copies of paul thompson issue 2 years ago but its still a bloody hard record, oh and lets not forget its fuckin awesome too! As I have said before the Stax museum aint even got a copy, they were only missing 8 records, that includes LPs, special editions etc.

I`ve been spinning The Leaders "Which way" on Volt lately, its not in Johns book, anyone know a price, rarity etc. Just like Paul Thompson its a great record.......

Chris

Social source share

As I said before I found 3 copies of paul thompson issue 2 years ago but its still a bloody hard record, oh and lets not forget its fuckin awesome too! As I have said before the Stax museum aint even got a copy, they were only missing 8 records, that includes LPs, special editions etc.

I`ve been spinning The Leaders "Which way" on Volt lately, its not in Johns book, anyone know a price, rarity etc. Just like Paul Thompson its  a great record.......

Chris

link

I especially like the volt label, so many great tracks. My current favourite is " Hot Sauce " ...Bring it home ........Lurverly track :thumbsup:

Social source share

Youy reg see the Admirals at 125.

Bessie Banks doesn't show that often, but agree it's cheap when it does.

One of the last ones to grace my collection was The Martians which is a comedy record and not northern, and although only a fiver, I don't reckon you see it that often. :thumbsup: I think one of the Hot Sauce ones is quite tough too, but can't remember which one..... :lol:

Social source share

Another point: in discussing this we should remember that there are really two (or more) different Volt labels, albeit springing from the same source.

The first, Atlantic distributed label owned and operated by Jim Stewart and Estelle Axton, which ran from 1961 to 1968-9, followed by the Al Bell-run (but still partially Stewart-owned) "independent" phase of the label (nationally ditributed by first Paramount, then CBS). Then of course, there is the Fantasy-distributed logo of the 80s and 90s.

It is worth bearing in mind that each phase of the label created different rarities in different ways. There are three records before Otis Redding's "Pain In My Heart", for instance, dating from 1961-62. At least a couple of these are pretty scarce. Then there are oddities like the second Green Onions re-issue (originally on Satellite, then Stax) on Volt in 1963. While Otis Redding records received the lions-share of promotional budgets, there are 45s by the likes of The Admirals, The Tonettes, Deannie Parker, The Sharpels, Dorothy Williams, The Drapels, Oscar Mack etc, which hardly made it out of the distributing wharehouses or radio station storerooms.

Volt in this phase is interesting to collectors because it had only one confirmed hitmaker: the vast majority of the other releases were almost bound to fail commercially, although I concede that 45s by the likes of The Mad Lads, Ruby Johnson and a couple of others were strong sellers in some locales.

The second Volt label (essentially the seventies one) possesses rarities (like Paul Thompson) which are extremely hard to find in their commercial release format, but which are reasonably plentiful on single-sided WDJ format. It would be interesting to speculate on the quantities of Paul Thompson issues versus deejay-copies: does the latter simply appear far more plentiful because people don't really want the other side?

There might be rarities from the 80s-90s that were pressed up in even smaller quantities than the examples mentioned above, but which are yet to emerge as such because nobody is looking for them yet.

If you take a perspective wider than a strictly "Northern Soul" one, there are records which are probably much harder to find than Paul Thompson.

Edited by garethx
Social source share

Billy

what's the number of The Drapers on Volt. All the numbers are filled (by other records!) in the Volt discography.

link

Don't know I think it's about 1963/64 so it would be an early one. The numbers might have clashed with something else though leading to it been deleted hense rarity.

Social source share

Been following this thread with great interest - actually found a Paul Thompson issue in Memphis in the cellar of a well known record store out there early/mid 90s. Can see the place in my mind and the road its on but can't recall its name off hand. When I returned to New York several days later I went scouting for more records obviously, so I'm in this store and I reads on the back of a UK Kent LP that Ian Clarke was chasing a copy of the said 45. On getting back home I rings him up and sells him PT for £100 cash and a copy of Gwen McCrae's "All this love that I'm giving" on Cat valued £20 which I was playing constantly as I was DJing in a black club in Bradford at the time. In my warped sense of thinking then I was selling big quality expensive American finds to finance my search for cheap mainly mediocre obscurities hehehe.

Its all good fun innit,

derek

Whats my thoughts on the rarest Volt? Mmm thats a tricky one...Does curiosity count - there's one female artist on Volt whoes got no known history absolutely nothing! Her names Ilana and I've just got a neat double sided mint WDJ copy of her "Where would you be" which is a great slice of downtempo femme soul with attitude. Voly 4064 released Aug 71. Anyway I've got the orange issue sadly only VG+ which has a flip side "Let love fill your heart". Obscure flip side from an unknown artist? Thats gotta be worth a drink hasnt it? Sadly after all that fanfare the flip side actually isnt that good - shame...oh well.

derek

One of the best Top 50 Volts must be the Mad Lads "Did my baby call" oh yes!

Social source share

link

link

Detroit artists, not sure about Detroit based. Was a question in this years Cleethorpes quiz :thumbsup:

Social source share

Chris Anderton tells me there are a bundle of PT's out there, i'd have to respect his judgement.......now the demo is extremely hard..... whistling.gif

link

I have had the Admirals on two occasions................dont like the record & found it very difficult to sell.

I also know an American collector that found at least one PT in the same place that Chris found the PT's. I have visited the place on several occasions & cant find any more.........but I guess I am just lucky like that :angry:

Russ

Social source share

Been following this thread with great interest - actually found a Paul Thompson issue in Memphis in the cellar of a well known record store out there early/mid 90s. Can see the place in my mind and the road its on but can't recall its name off hand. When I returned to New York several days later I went scouting for more records obviously, so I'm in this store and I reads on the back of a UK Kent LP that Ian Clarke was chasing a copy of the said 45. On getting back home I rings him up and sells him PT for £100 cash and a copy of Gwen McCrae's "All this love that I'm giving" on Cat valued £20 which I was playing constantly as I was DJing in a black club in Bradford at the time.  In my warped sense of thinking then I was selling big quality expensive American finds to finance my search for cheap mainly mediocre obscurities hehehe.

Its all good fun innit,

derek

Whats my thoughts on the rarest Volt? Mmm thats a tricky one...Does curiosity count - there's one female artist on Volt whoes got no known history absolutely nothing! Her names Ilana and I've just got a neat double sided mint WDJ copy of her "Where would you be" which is a great slice of downtempo femme soul with attitude. Voly 4064 released Aug 71. Anyway I've got the orange issue sadly only VG+ which has a flip side "Let love fill your heart". Obscure flip side from an unknown artist? Thats gotta be worth a drink hasnt it? Sadly after all that fanfare the flip side actually isnt that good - shame...oh well.

derek

One of the best Top 50 Volts must be the Mad Lads "Did my baby call" oh yes!

link

On an issue Derek (as opposed to a DS WD) I rate Ilana as quite tough. She was from Pa. I think. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Detroit artists, not sure about Detroit based.  Was a question in this years Cleethorpes quiz  :thumbsup:

link

It says Detroit based in Chicago Soul. I have noticed that no one ever seems to actually read what I write since if I write something five or more people will then write basically the same thing, as if it was written for the first time.

Social source share

One of the hardest Volt 45's is Roger Hatcher's Dedicate My Life To You/I'm Gonna Make Love To Somebody's Old Lady.

This is was missing off the wall in the Stax Museum where all the company's 45's and albums are displayed - if memory serves me correctly Paul Thompson was there but Jimmy Dotson was also missing. It is possible that they have got copies now but on my first visit very few where missing.

Colin Dilnot

Social source share

It says Detroit based in Chicago Soul. I have noticed that no one ever seems to actually read what I write since if I write something five or more people will then write basically the same thing, as if it was written for the first time.

link

:graynone:

Social source share

I've asked on here before for info on this but seeing as the subject of Volt releases has come up here goes again, anyone out there have any idea how hard is The Hawg (Part 1 & 2) by Eddie Kirk on Volt 106?. It's a great harp lead R&B instrumental, well almost an instrumental as there are a couple of shouted lyrics over the top of the mad harp wailing.

Apart from a copy I got some time ago I've only ever seen one other copy that sold on ebay a month or so ago. Is it really hard to get or have I just been looking in the wrong places??

I've attached a scan (this is the one that I mentioned sold on on ebay, mine's mint).

Any info would be much appreciated, ta

post-642-1120408689_thumb.jpg

Edited by richard
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert