What If You Win It Cheap And They Won't Sell?

Pete S

Think I may have a problem. Won a record on ebay over a week ago, paid immediately. No sign of the record (it's only 15 miles away), and the seller won't reply to my emails (2 so far).

So it looks to me as if he's not going to let me have the record because I got it way cheaper than it's rally worth.

Anything I can do about this?

Social source share

• Replies 32
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Think I may have a problem. Won a record on ebay over a week ago, paid immediately. No sign of the record (it's only 15 miles away), and the seller won't reply to my emails (2 so far).

So it looks to me as if he's not going to let me have the record because I got it way cheaper than it's rally worth.

Cheap enough to pay for the petrol to drive 30 mile round trip to pick it up and still make a profit Peteg.gif

Imagine the look on his face if you knocked on his door ohmy.gif

Social source share

i find that making phone calls often settles things much quicker than drawing things out over emails, etc. especially when they're close. just the ebay information request to get their phone number shows that you're serious.

Social source share

Exactly the same happened to me last week!

Won a lot at a bargain price and paid instantly. I then get an email stating the courier has let them down and they cant mail the records and i get a full refund. I then asked the question of using royal mail (we are talking about 18 records in the lot) and have had no response.

Why use an auction site and then have no intention of selling the records because the end price was possibly too low?angry.gif

Very frustrating and a complete waste of my time.no.gif

I know that the royal mail are not fantastic but come on......? Also if the seller had mailed via royal mail i would of saved them money they quoted me £15 p&p for 18 records!g.gif

Daz

Social source share

Send him a message along the lines of : Hi, you will send me the record now, if I don't see it soon in as advertised condition I will start a ebay/paypal dispute case, reverse my payment & you will get the negative feedback. Thank you, goodbye, have a nice day. Then follow it through.

Social source share

Sellers remorse... Happened to me more than once when buying records from the US (which obviously makes it tougher to go and knock on the man's door). And you can get your money back after a lot of hassle, but what are the chances of ever finding that particular record at that price again?

Social source share

boxing.gifHi Pete I agree that if you have won in law it,s yours unles you have made a prior agreement with the sellor, I know that it,s a legal issue thats inplace for the buyer & sellers protection eg: its covered in Parlamentry Laws and Goverment Acts.king.gif What I hate is those buggers who bump up the price for their mates or familywanker.gif I know who you are,?ph34r.gif DAVE KIL.
Social source share

Send him a message along the lines of : Hi, you will send me the record now, if I don't see it soon in as advertised condition I will start a ebay/paypal dispute case, reverse my payment & you will get the negative feedback. Thank you, goodbye, have a nice day. Then follow it through.

i still think that if you're in the same country and even city it's easier to just call before you resort to threatening messages in email, etc.

Social source share

i still think that if you're in the same country and even city it's easier to just call before you resort to threatening messages in email, etc.

i don't know, so many sellers will just keep fobbing you off indefinitely unless you kick up a fuss, why waste the time when you can go straight to the fuss? People will take you for a fool too often these days.

Social source share

Okay, I've read all the postings on this topic and nobody has considered the possibility that the seller might be ill (swine flu) or on holiday.

The situation is made more excitable by the fact that you've won a good record at a cheap price. My advice would be to give the seller more time and try to calm down.

Social source share

Okay, I've read all the postings on this topic and nobody has considered the possibility that the seller might be ill (swine flu) or on holiday.

The situation is made more excitable by the fact that you've won a good record at a cheap price. My advice would be to give the seller more time and try to calm down.

boxing.gif This is a very good idea, in fact as a good fast payer I Expect the same back?, normally if I have not received my record/s in 14 days I always right a message, along the lines off "Hi regarding my purchases from yourself on --/--/-- I have not received the item? are you having or experiencing any problems if so would you contact myself ASAP, as you will see I have an ex 100% positive feedback, Many Thanks Dave, and this has always been met with a quick response, along the lines that you suggestph34r.gif DAVE KIL.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

If they planned a holiday during the end of their auction then they are an idiot and even someone with swine flu can answer emails. It's been over a week and the seller lives nearby. You're right that there might be a simple explanation but Pete deserves to know what's going on. Personally my next email would be to say i was coming round and if they are genuinely ill or have died then someone should be there with the full story... and the record.

Social source share

If they planned a holiday during the end of their auction then they are an idiot and even someone with swine flu can answer emails. It's been over a week and the seller lives nearby. You're right that there might be a simple explanation but Pete deserves to know what's going on. Personally my next email would be to say i was coming round and if they are genuinely ill or have died then someone should be there with the full story... and the record.

Well said Matt.

Some of these ebay sellers are as thick as pigsh&t, they charge triple actual amount for postage, they don't put card in the mailers, they can't grade the records properly and they can't communicate. I sell a lot of records on ebay and they get mailed out the same day or the following day as the customer pays, same as on my mailing list. Last week I was late with one record, and that was actually because we thought Grace was very ill and I didn't have time to tell the buyer I couldn't get to the post office - but he understood. Only takes a second to write a message.

p.s. will you come with me next time I need to threaten someone :lol:

Social source share

if you have swine flu or any kind of illness last thing you are going to be fussed about is goign on computer and reading e-mails.

all i'd want to do is watch TV and feel sorry for myself.

a 20 quid record sale would be the least of my concearns. It would have to wait until I was feeling better.

but its all turned out well and that is most important thing here.

Social source share

if you have swine flu or any kind of illness last thing you are going to be fussed about is goign on computer and reading e-mails.

all i'd want to do is watch TV and feel sorry for myself.

a 20 quid record sale would be the least of my concearns. It would have to wait until I was feeling better.

but its all turned out well and that is most important thing here.

Yeah and on the other hand he might just have been a lazy git.

Social source share

I recently had a problem with my broadband connection that took Virgin 9 days to sort out - in that time I couldn't get logged on at all.

Sometimes shit happens.

Go round someone else's house then you lazy sod. :yes:

Honestly, the excuses that some of you lot come out with - if I can't use my computer I use someone else's.

Social source share

OK panic over, it arrived today, but how difficult is it for someone to say there's gonna be a delay?

Incidentally the record was esther Phillips - Just Say Goodbye - UK Atlantic - 21 quid.

21 quid?..i'd have made yer wait n'all..............laugh.gif

Social source share

Guest POTTERIESPECK

IT'S JUST LIKE PAY RISES PETE, IF HE'S GOT 100 PEOPLE LIKE YOURSELF AND THEY KEEP EVERYBODY WAITING FOR TWO WEEKS IT'S INTREST ON HIS BANK ACCOUNT. IT MAY NOT SOUND MUCH ON £20 SOUNDS, BUT ! I CAN INAGINE YOUSELF PAYING BIG MONEY FOR SOME ELUSIVE SOUNDS, SO IF THEY'RE SELLING 3 + 4 FIGURE PRICE RECORDS & KEEP THE PUNTERS HANGING ON ASLONG AS THEY CAN THE INTRESRT ON THAT MONEY SOON ADDS UP TO A TIDY SUM' e.g LIKE I SAY PAY RISE SETTLED 4 WEEKS AFTER SAY JUNE 13th[ annual payrise ] THEN THEY TELL YA IT WILL BE IN PAYPACKET AUGUST 13th making it 8 WEEKS OWING TO EVERYBODY . IMAGINE THE INTREST ON A COMPANNY WITH SAY 100 EMPLOYEE'S. THEY NEVER SHARE THE INTREST THAT MONEY AS ACCULATED IN THEM 8 WEEKS SINCE THE AGREED ANNUAL PAY RISE { they could even donate it to charity for me ]. TROUBLE IS PETE YOU'RE ONE OF A DYING [ too nice ]. BUT THAT'S NOT A BAD THING. { as me owd man said it's nice to be nice ].

post-5802-12475155707211.jpg

post-5802-12475155707211.jpg

Social source share

This kind of thing happened to me about 4/5 years ago, put a bid on and was watching it all of a sudden it just dissapeared from the screen, lodged a complaint with E-Bay they said they would look into it, and that was the last I heard, after trying to get in touch with them over the following few days was a nightmare, I just gave up in the end

Social source share

Could be worse: this is about a copy of the Es-Shades:

"We know of 6, plus one which was destroyed by a collector/dealer from Ohio who became enraged when he realised he had sold the record too cheaply on eBay. He snapped the incredible ultra-rare 45 in two and sent us the pieces just to prove his point - see scan. So much for Ohio's musical heritage." ohmy.gif

Social source share

I thought that an Ebay auction was a binding agreement, i.e. if you don't keep your part of the bargain, you run the risk of being banned. On the other hand, if a seller is suffering from H1N1/2 Virus (we can't call it Swine Flu chaps, think of our poor pig farmers) I doubt that he'd be up to writing emails, being 'tubed up' and fighting off biological opportunists like pneumonia. That's where his/her partner/buddies come to the rescue.

Social source share

I often get "seller's remorse" (always accompanied by "why didn't I use a starting price I could live with?"), but of course I always send them regardless. A recent buyer doubted it, though; in New York, just a couple hundred miles from me, they claimed they didn't get a record, I immediately refunded them in full (just 18 dollars, so not the end of the world), then they used my quick refund as "proof" that I hadn't sent the record - they denied my Final Value Fee refund on the grounds that I was dishonest and wanted to resell the record for a higher price! They also called me an assortment of names (I refused to respond, as it was immediately clear they weren't dealing with a full deck). So, after calling Ebay and demanding/getting my FVF back, I was out a record (and NYC is not at all a problem area to mail to), and waiting for bad feedback - fortunately that never happened (I'm sure they stumbled on the record under a pile of magazines in their foyer or something, and had a laugh at my expense).

Social source share

Guest rachel

Ian, suggest you reword the end of your post - please have a read of the forum rules: https://www.soul-source.co.uk/articles/articles/soul-news/forum-house-rules-r1879 - especially

We reserve the right to moderate posts which

* Are considered likely to disrupt, provoke, attack or offend others

* Are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable

* Contain swear words or other language likely to offend

Thanks.

Social source share

I often get "seller's remorse" (always accompanied by "why didn't I use a starting price I could live with?"), but of course I always send them regardless. A recent buyer doubted it, though; in New York, just a couple hundred miles from me, they claimed they didn't get a record, I immediately refunded them in full (just 18 dollars, so not the end of the world), then they used my quick refund as "proof" that I hadn't sent the record - they denied my Final Value Fee refund on the grounds that I was dishonest and wanted to resell the record for a higher price! They also called me an assortment of names (I refused to respond, as it was immediately clear they weren't dealing with a full deck). So, after calling Ebay and demanding/getting my FVF back, I was out a record (and NYC is not at all a problem area to mail to), and waiting for bad feedback - fortunately that never happened (I'm sure they stumbled on the record under a pile of magazines in their foyer or something, and had a laugh at my expense).

i used to get sellers remorse, now i start at the minimum price i want for a particular record, i got sick of selling 30-40 pound 45's for next to nothing, they might not sell at first cos people do want bargains but i normally shift 'em eventuallyyes.gif

and on the subject of dodgy ebayers, i,ve had a cheeky b*****d, bidding on a record and then listing it "buy it now", with my photo's, a sound file ect before he'd even won it, so i removed it from ebay, hey ho so did he next day, reported it to ebay, heard nothing in 18 monthsph34r.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert