Most active in this topic

post-13599-12473227751515_thumb.jpg

Hi

Can anyone tell me anything about this 45

I think it was released on BLAZE label in The USA

never seen this UK release before

Regards

Dave

Correct Dave - the record was released in the U.S. , on the one and only outing for the Blaze label - Blaze # 1107 : Jack Ashford & The Sound of New Detroit " Do The Choo Choo " Part 1 / " Do The Choo Choo " Part 2 , in 1975 .

Blaze was a subsidiary of Prodigal Records , the Detroit label owned by Barney Ales which operated between December 1974 and May 1979 .

With it being the only record on the label , as to why it was given the release number of 1107 is puzzling .....

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

SEEN ISSUES OF IT IN BOXES OVER THE YEARS AND NOT WORTH A LOT. NICE LOOKIN DEMO THO £15/20 MAYBE

DAVE

SOUL GALORE CROFTON 24TH JULY

SUNDAY CHILL OUT 16TH AUG DONCASTER

I bought " DTCC " blind on its' release as a result of JA's name : sadly it disappointed me .

I always liked the maroon London demos : in a quaint way , slightly classy ......

Malc Burton

Social source share

Guest bigsoul

Hi

Thanks for the info

been digging about there where 5 London / Prodigal UK

release that i can find wonder why they not listed in

any Motown / Related discography

as there US counterparts are listed

Regards

Dave

Social source share

Hi

Thanks for the info

been digging about there where 5 London / Prodigal UK

release that i can find wonder why they not listed in

any Motown / Related discography

as there US counterparts are listed

Regards

Dave

Just had a look in the Sharon Davis' Motown book - it does give a couple of pages on the Prodigal label, plus a listing for the label and also shows the Jack Ashford Blaze release - but I couldn't see any mention of the related UK releases from these labels. Apart from the few releases that actually came out on the UK Prodigal label itself.

They are in label lists for London, but no I don't think there's any mention of the Motown connection anywhere!:chinstroke:

Maybe we should make our own list on here - for posterity!

Thinking about it - I think I may well have got a red promo of the Jack Ashford London 45 - I'd have to check to be certain though....

Social source share

SEEN ISSUES OF IT IN BOXES OVER THE YEARS AND NOT WORTH A LOT. NICE LOOKIN DEMO THO £15/20 MAYBE

DAVE

SOUL GALORE CROFTON 24TH JULY

SUNDAY CHILL OUT 16TH AUG DONCASTER

I've got a spare mint U.K. London demo if anyone wants it. Looks great. Has a small sticker mark on the label but othewise perfect. £20.00. PM me if interested.........

I guess Barney Ales kept ex U.S.A. distribution of Prodigal to himself so he could sub-licence outside of the U.S.

Ian D :D

Social source share

Can't see picture, is it that "choo choo thingy" ? gets my vote for the worst record ever after "cath-e-dralls" biggrin.gif

Yep, not a Ken record. It actually sounds pretty good LOUD in a funk club but that's about it for my money.......

Talking of Jack Ashford, has anyone heard "This Ain't Just Another Dance Song" from his "Hotel Sheet" album? It's another version of "Payback's A Drag" by the Smith Brothers - same backing track............

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

Yep, not a Ken record. It actually sounds pretty good LOUD in a funk club but that's about it for my money.......

Talking of Jack Ashford, has anyone heard "This Ain't Just Another Dance Song" from his "Hotel Sheet" album? It's another version of "Payback's A Drag" by the Smith Brothers - same backing track............

Ian D biggrin.gif

Funny that,just pulled the lp out yesterday. :thumbup:

Social source share

Didja keep the free plastic 'hotel sheet' which came with the album?

Jack Ashford almost became the U.S. equivalent of Rolf Harris with that! laugh.gif

Ian D biggrin.gif

No !! i make my own :rolleyes:

Edited by ken
Social source share

Didja keep the free plastic 'hotel sheet' which came with the album?

Jack Ashford almost became the U.S. equivalent of Rolf Harris with that! :laugh:

Yep, still got mine!:yes:

I get it out and have a 'play' with it from time to time... if you know what I mean!:rolleyes:

It's a wobble board we're referring to, for those who don't have onewhistling

Social source share

Yep, still got mine!:yes:

I get it out and have a 'play' with it from time to time... if you know what I mean!:rolleyes:

It's a wobble board we're referring to, for those who don't have onewhistling

Wow. I'm impressed. It did work quite well though didn't it?

A strange thing to give away with an album though. I wonder how many he made......?

I sold my album and the guy who bought it insisted he got the Hotel Sheet with it and it took me about 2 bloody hours to find it! whistling

Still, who's laughing now ay?

I want one!! :angry:

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Ian D biggrin.gif

...and there was a vocal to "Do The Choo Choo" by Eddie Parker (really!)

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

...and there was a vocal to "Do The Choo Choo" by Eddie Parker (really!)

Quite right - it came out on Jay Walking 018 - with "But If You Must Go" on the other side - nearly three years before the Jack Ashford version!

Same backing track, obviously...

Social source share

Quite right - it came out on Jay Walking 018 - with "But If You Must Go" on the other side - nearly three years before the Jack Ashford version!

Same backing track, obviously...

Never seen "But If You Must Go" on JayWalking, Tony.

"Can't You See" is the JayWalking 45 surely?

:thumbup:

Sean

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Never seen "But If You Must Go" on JayWalking, Tony.

"Can't You See" is the JayWalking 45 surely?

g.gif

Sean

I must stop crossing my eyes when I interrogate this bloody singles database...

You are, of course, 100% correct about "Can't You See"...

...Perhaps a bit of wishful thinking on my part that I'd get home tonight and find a copy of "But if you Must Go" on my shelf instead of the Jay-Walking 45. :thumbup:

Sorry for the misinformation, all...

Social source share

...Perhaps a bit of wishful thinking on my part that I'd get home tonight and find a copy of "But if you Must Go" on my shelf instead of the Jay-Walking 45. laugh.gif

Yep, I was sitting, admiring my stone mint Miko copy of "But If You Must Go" only last night.

Was just about to put it on the deck...

...and the missus woke me up!

:lol:

Sean

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

For you it's an Eddie Parker Miko 45, for me it's Invictus-era Freda Payne dressed as a dominatrix...

...but there's always a wake up call from the wife involved somewhere :thumbup:

Social source share

Yep, I was sitting, admiring my stone mint Miko copy of "But If You Must Go" only last night.

Was just about to put it on the deck...

...and the missus woke me up!

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Jeez who actually has got an Eddie Parker IYMG on Miko then, it must be so rare, Andy Dyson I think, anyone got a soundfile to load when things are back to normal, I have only heard the original a couple of times, and love the re-recording but the Miko one is almost perfection.

To keep this on topic, before I get a row, anyone got a Hotel Sheets LP to sell, pretty please!

Edited by jocko
Social source share

Jeez who actually has got an Eddie Parker IYMG on Miko then, it must be so rare, Andy Dyson I think, anyone got a soundfile to load when things are back to normal, I have only heard the original a couple of times, and love the re-recording but the Miko one is almost perfection.

To keep this on topic, before I get a row, anyone got a Hotel Sheets LP to sell, pretty please!

Seen this on popsike

https://www.popsike.com/Jack-Ashford-12in-Promo-Hotel-Sheets-MAGIC-DISC/230224658139.html

What the lp worth ? ta !!

Social source share

Guest mel brat

I wouldn't spend too much on it!

"Fly Into My Open Arms" is the best track, but even that's not a brilliant example of 70s (IMO). Eventually, "Fly.." did get a few spins (at Thorne) though.

I recall Neil Rushton playing with that damned wobble board, upstairs at his Walsall shop! (remember Neil?) :thumbsup: I sold mine though - along with the "wobble board", the US Blaze single and Eddie's vocal version too, C.1989!. However I still have the London UK issue of "Choo Choo", just as a tape filler really.

Back to Jack's "Do The Choo Choo" - it was played out quite a bit when new (1975), alongside Eddie's "Body Chains" on Prodigal as it happens, (Which I happen to think is great. So there!)

Speaking of 'Choo-Choos', CHOO CHOO MONTGOMERY on Capricorn is a far better 70s side! laugh.gif

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Yes Mel, I like the Choo Choo Montgomery also, but mine's a demo of "I can't say no" - I hear the flip side is OK too, but never having heard it I don't know for certaing.gif?

Back on topic - I've had a hunt through a couple of boxes of London 45s today - no sign of the Jack Ashford 45 though... I'm beginning to wonder if I dreamt that I have a copy - just like Sean & Tony in a way!shades.gif

There's just a few more places to check out before I admit defeat though...

I know... I've got far too many - don't anyone start - I get enough of that at home!whistling.gif

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Yes Mel, I like the Choo Choo Montgomery also, but mine's a demo of "I can't say no" - I hear the flip side is OK too, but never having heard it I don't know for certain:chinstroke:?

I have the Demo and the issue, John.

The "I Know He's Got Another Lover" side is a quite nice 'jerky' dancer in the style that's quite fashionable at the mo.

Wouldn't lose sleep over not having a copy as its not really a MUST HAVE!... but I think I saw one on eBay t'other day cheapish... if you have a mind to! :wink:

Sean

Social source share

As a matter of fact, yep I have Jocko! I just found 2 copies so if anyone else wants one it's £25.00. PM me if interested.

Best,

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert