Sounds That Should Have Gone Big

Probably been done before, but can you recall any tune that on first hearing you thought "yeah this could go"?

Example back in the dark ages(early 70's for you young 'uns), me and my mate both got copies of Hoagy Lands "theme from the other side",only rick got a copy with the vocal ont'other side " Friends and Lovers", which at the time we both thought was bloody good but it never did nowt.

Anymore for anymore?

Todge

Social source share

• Replies 19
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I think El Anthony will become a very big record in the near future. I'm starting to hear it every time I leave the house now, after years of not hearing it anywhere: it certainly has all the ingredients to 'go': crucially, there are enough copies around to ensure that it gets plays throughout the scene.

Social source share

I think El Anthony will become a very big record in the near future. I'm starting to hear it every time I leave the house now, after years of not hearing it anywhere: it certainly has all the ingredients to 'go': crucially, there are enough copies around to ensure that it gets plays throughout the scene.

link

I personally think El Anthony is a somewhat cheesy tune, not bad but a bit too cheesy for me. Production is too big and it sounds a bit like a movie soundtrack or something + I think he sings in a Las Vegas 'entertainer' style, these factors will contribute to it's popularity though I am sure. Tomorrow's Men "Who's That Lady" that shares the same backing is much better IMO (and no, I have no more copies, last one went to a nice record dealer). Very true words about the crucial factor, availability. It seems that very rarely do genuine rarities 'go big', records have to be relatively common to go big it seems. This might change, should have changed perhaps, with the internet and increased accessibility, but it seems it has not happened yet anyway.

Social source share

********On Star-vue??

I.

Social source share

No, on La Cindy. Now go out and buy all copies you can find, wait 6 - 18 months, then stick them on ebay. sad.gifshades.gif

Edited by Guest
Social source share

We Live In The Ghetto - Four Voices

link

Top man Dayo!! What a record.

For those who don't know it, the best way to describe it is a bit like "Under The Street Lamp" by the Exits, but slightly more uptempo. Also check out the excellent B-side, "Summer Kind Of Love". As soon as I get my CD recorder back from Richer Sounds (repair job) I will post sound clips of both sides up.

Gene

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

Guest James Trouble

El Anthoney is great, and agree with Gareth, there are enough copies out there for it to 'go'.

It's a funny game with records that 'go'. It's like the Jo Jama, I would have thought price would have gone down since all the copies started turning up, but it has ment that more DJs have it, so more people hear it, so more people want it, so price holds or even goes up. Funny old game. If that was a funk record it'd be worth about £20 if all those copies had turned up! :ohmy:

Back on topic: How about "Those Two - Just Can't Treat Her Bad". From what I gather, that's never achieved much popularity (correct me if I'm wrong)?

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Dave Thorley used to play "We Live In The Ghetto" with great regularity in the post-Stafford era, but never to much reaction.

I personally think it's a great record, and the funk influences which may have held it back in the past might prove its' strongest ally in achieving success today.

Edited by garethx
Social source share

Dave Thorley used to play "We Live In The Ghetto" with great regularity in the post-Stafford era, but never to much reaction.

I personally think it's a great record, and the funk influences which may have held it back in the past might prove its' strongest ally in acheiving success today.

link

It's an OKish 45 but pales into complete nothingness when compared to the great, albeit played out, "Your Love Is Getting Stronger"/"With A Lonely Heart".

Social source share

I personally think El Anthony is a somewhat cheesy tune, not bad but a bit too cheesy for me. Production is too big and it sounds a bit like a movie soundtrack or something + I think he sings in a Las Vegas 'entertainer' style, these factors will contribute to it's popularity though I am sure. Tomorrow's Men "Who's That Lady" that shares the same backing is much better IMO (and no, I have no more copies, last one went to a nice record dealer). Very true words about the crucial factor, availability. It seems that very rarely do genuine rarities 'go big', records have to be relatively common to go big it seems. This might change, should have changed perhaps, with the internet and increased accessibility, but it seems it has not happened yet anyway.

link

I totally aggree Chris. When it starts that intro just makes me thing Bond. Sorry but it just doesn't do it for me.

I've had the chance to but this a couple of times at reasonable prices (around $100) and even a demo, but have turned them all down as feel I would never play it.

how about this for a "could have been" though... or I suppose a "still might be"

THE OCCASIONS - THERE'S NO YOU - BIG JIM

Seems to be bubbling under a bit so it's still promising but I can't see why it isn't already one of the biggest things in the country. Superb IMHO :D anyone aggree?

Booty McBill :dance:

Edited by billytheboot
Social source share

link

Got to agree. El Anthony is good, and will no doubt get more plays than it already is. but i dont think good enough at all to go 'big'.

And agree with Chirstian, the Tomorrows Men is far superior (why didnt i get one of these of you Chris - your fault!)

Social source share

I think El Anthony can go big, regardless of what I think about it. Lots of records that seemingly have less going for them have gone big, and on the other hand some fantastic tunes have yet to make it. Anyone have a functioning crystal ball in good condition for sale out there? :D

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert