What Was The First Record

• Replies 55
  • Views 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

The first ones I can remember are from The Dolphin pub in Kingston, they used to have a mod/scooterist night on Wednesday evenings back in the 80's.

Tunes like:

Beverly Ann - He's Coming Home

The Capitols - Cool Jerk

Benny Spellman - Fortune Teller

Stuff from on the scooter runs in the 80's:

Billy Butler - The Right Track

Alfie Davison - Love Is A Serious Business

Detroit Prophets - Suspicion

Frankie Valli - The Night

I couldn't actually say any one for definite, more of a batch.

Social source share

Guest Jean-Marc

First tunes I remember hearing in a mod night in 1980 or so were

Sock It To 'Em JB

1-2-3

The Clapping Song

Ya-Ya

funnily I still like them all as they opened the doors to a world of soul & R&B record collecting. :lol:

Social source share

What was the first record you can remeber hearing when you went to your first club(not youth club or school disc)

This was mine at the rainbow Suite above the B'ham co-op circa 1967

link

Love Is A Good Foundation - Leslie Uggams, Morecambe Pier Aug' 85

The whole place clapping in sync, what a tune, what an atmosphere - SOLD! wink.gif

Social source share

Apart from youth club etc first record that sticks in my mind was Tiffanys in Halifax in 1977 with Pat Brady playing

Chandlers - Your Love Makes Me Lonely

Fell in love with the track and started a long term love affair with Northern Soul wink.gif

Edited by jimmyw
Social source share

Doby Gray - Out on the floor

Stop Girl - 7 Dwarfs

Ellingtons - Destined to becomw a loser

Interplay - Derek & Ray

David & the Giants - Ten miles high

YMCA & 3 Cups Chelmsford 1983. wink.gif

link

I still remember that dingy hall behind the pub, and the looks i used to get from my work mates when i said i went to the YMCA last night.

Phil.

Social source share

Guest Soultown andy

Elton youth club in bury near manchester,73/74 one of the djs used to play old wheel stuff,the one that got me was frankie valli your ready now,still like it to this day.

Social source share

Guest Soultown andy

Sorry ted mis read the post,first real club for me was nevada bolton 75 and it was evelyn thomas weak spot.

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

I am only a nipper so my stories dont go back that far wink.gif

I remember hearing 'suspicion' - The Originals (back then it was the Detroit Prophets)

This was played at 'Dance Craze' at KiKi's in Sheffield on a Wednesday night back in 1991. That was my first venture out at the ripe old age of 17!

I would also see a fella walking round the club with a little box of 45s which I thought was really strange. He would be showing people the records and I just thought he was a nutter to be honest.

That person with the record box was a young Joe Dutton (aka pikeys dog) who would have been about 18 back then. smile.gif

Shane

Social source share

Guest the dukester

What was the first record you can remeber hearing when you went to your first club(not youth club or school disc)

THESE THINGS WILL KEEP ME LOVING YOU - VELVELETTES

Atack Club in Trinity St Huddersfield 1974

I would like to say it was LORD JIMS to make you feel young again wink.gif but alas no smile.gif

Social source share

I am only a nipper so my stories dont go back that far  wink.gif

Same here! I remember a friend of mine was playing Tainted Love (actually the weird extended 12" mix :D ) about ten years ago, along with Showstoppers - Ain't nothing but a house party at a local nite club.

My first proper soul nite was Uptown Down South in Newbury about '97, run By Russ Vickers smile.gif . The Only records I recognised were Dynamics - I need your love (still an all-time fave) Bobby Reed - Time is right for love (ditto) and Tan-Geers - Let my heart and soul be free. Needless to say I was hooked, can't believe it was eight years ago.

Heikki 1

Social source share

Around 1975/76 when I was 14 or 15 I remember travelling to Walsall town hall to my first real soul night on the bus and a tall lad in a long leather coat going on about a record by Lee Roye called Tears bieng the greatest northern soul record and agreeing with him though I'd never even heard it !

When I got there I can remember the dancefloor erupting to The Kid by Andre Brasseur and thinking it was the greatest record I had ever heard. Cant remember anything else played that night. Funny how things stick in your mind.

Social source share

My god your all making me feel old is nobody on the site that went to the Wheel

link

Just a touch too young for The Wheel

First went to The Pendulum in'72, which I might add was done deliberately cos I wanted to hear Soul and not Terry tinsel etc.

Anyway did not know a single sound,but was totally gobsmacked.

I now know what was what of course and would have to say that the standout tune(then) was

Exus Terk- Luther Ingram

Cheers

Tony

Social source share

I still remember that dingy hall behind the pub, and the looks i used to get from my work mates when i said i went to the YMCA last night.

Phil.

link

Yeah exactly wink.gif Don't know if you remeber, but YMCA was a pound to get in. I used to get ribbed at work and I rember once saying "it's good, they play soul music there it's only a pound to get in". And my sales manager saying "how far in do you get for a pound"? smile.gif

Social source share

I would also see a fella walking round the club with a little box of 45s which I thought was really strange. He would be showing people the records and I just thought he was a nutter to be honest.

That person with the record box was a young Joe Dutton (aka pikeys dog) who would have been about 18 back then.  smile.gif

Shane

link

Shane, so your first impression of him was correct then? wink.gif

Edited by Supercorsa
Social source share

newbeats 'crying my heart out' wigan 77

link

One of the first things i remember was "train by Don Thomas at some at club in Huddersfield 1981....I aint heard it get a play for a long time,it would be nice...

other early tunes.. that first got me hooked

George Benson on broadway

I'll do anything Doris Troy

Breakaway Steve Karmen

As long as you need me Four Tops..This got a play at Cleethorpes and i don't think i've heard it get a play since my teens,it sounded fantastic and there was only a few of us dancing...Some well known people on the scene did not know it..top top tune indeed wink.gifsmile.gif

Edited by little-stevie
Social source share

1981-82-ish, and Keith Rylett was DJing, and Jo Wallace was dancing....

and I recall:

6x6 Earl van Dyke

The Night-Franki Valli

In my Lonely Room-Martha Reeves

S.O.S-Edwin Starr

..and the punters kept requesting 'Intercourse', by Derek & Ray shades.gif

Social source share

Guest martyn

Kettering Central Hall 75;

Laine Hill-Time Marches On

Al Foster-Night of the Wolf

Pointer Sisters-Send him Back

Evelyn Thomas -Weak Spot

Skulsnaps-Im your Pimp

Social source share

Guest SteveA

First disco - Clarendon Hotel, Gravesend 1971 - a hall full of suedeheads in tasselled loafers & brut!

Chuck Wood - Seven days Too Long

Formations - At the Top Of the Stairs

Velvelettes - These Things Will Keep Me Loving You

Elgins - Heaven Must Have Sent You

Doris Troy - I'll Do Anything

The night always ended early cos when Harry J & the All Stars - The Liquidator was played, there was always a fight between rival football fans. Lights go up & everybody's turfed out. The only E's then were in your crisps.

Social source share

First northern record i heard must have been Breakout - Mitch Ryder, or it could have been Give me one more chance - Clyde Mcphater, hard to remember 27 years ago what was first lol, sometimes i hear stuff i heard years ago i totaly forgot about

Social source share

Guest Jamie

My first proper do was was Queens Hall, Bradford 1988.

Ain't got a clue what the first 30 records were - I didn't know any of them!!!

I think the first record I recognised was Voices Of East Harlem.

If only I knew then what I know now............

Jamie

Social source share

Can't recall the first soul sound as such that I heard and liked but I recall that one of the sounds that really hit me and that really stood out when I first heard it was Chuck Wood "Seven Days Too Long". Frankie Valli "You're Ready Now", R. Dean Taylor "There's a Ghost In My House" and Spellbinders "Help Me" were also particularly popular at the time. One of the first real soul records that really struck me and I couldn't believe how good it was (compared to the stuff I knew then) was Cliff Nobles "Love Is Alright" on Phil La of Soul which I found in a junk shop in my hometown, a real "wow!" record. Still rate Cliff Nobles as a great record.

Social source share

Can't recall the first soul sound as such that I heard and liked but I recall that one of the sounds that really hit me and that really stood out when I first heard it was Chuck Wood "Seven Days Too Long". Frankie Valli "You're Ready Now", R. Dean Taylor "There's a Ghost In My House" and Spellbinders "Help Me" were also particularly popular at the time. One of the first real soul records that really struck me and I couldn't believe how good it was (compared to the stuff I knew then) was Cliff Nobles "Love Is Alright" on Phil La of Soul which I found in a junk shop in my hometown, a real "wow!" record. Still rate Cliff Nobles as a great record.

link

Is the chuck wood track still big over there :ohmy::ohmy: ... :( ..That was a big track for me and many others in the early days..Hope to see you soon mate..Olof is over her next month and is gonna play at my night,remember the last time :ohmy::ohmy: Good time indeed...

Social source share

Hi Paul

Good to meet you the other week in Barcelona,hope to meet again soon..It was the young lads  from Leeds who spun Al Foster etc,i think... :ohmy:

link

Yeh, I think the Leeds boys played NOTW, and Dave played I'm Your Pimp. In all it was a great if somewhat surreal night.

I was just a bit upset that you didn't arrange a soulnight in Tunisia last week!. Honestly this job is hell!

Hope to see you soon.

Paul

Social source share

Kettering Central Hall 75;

Laine Hill-Time Marches On

Al Foster-Night of the Wolf

Pointer Sisters-Send him Back

Evelyn Thomas -Weak Spot

Skulsnaps-Im your Pimp

link

Never went there but those records were being played at the same time at a place called "Sammies" actually St Giles Youth Club in Wiilenhall which had a cracking allnighter - top dj's from all over the UK, brilliant sounds, they even had their own cloth badges made. Did I dream all this or did anyone else go? I was 15, I can't believe my parents let me walk from Wolverhampton to Willenhall at just before midnight, let alone attend the allnighter.

Social source share

Yeh, I think the Leeds boys played NOTW, and Dave played I'm Your Pimp.  In all it was a great if somewhat surreal night.

I was just a bit upset that you didn't arrange a soulnight in Tunisia last week!.  Honestly this job is hell!

Hope to see you soon.

Paul

link

we aint ready for north Africa just yet...Good to see you dancing and smiling to some old classics :ohmy: ..There is room for all tunes on this scene..

Social source share

Is the chuck wood track still big over there :ohmy:   :ohmy: ... :( ..That was a big track for me and many others in the early days..Hope to see you soon mate..Olof is over her next month and is gonna play at my night,remember the last time :ohmy:   :ohmy: Good time indeed...

link

I don't know, Chuck Wood is big everywhere where people have heard a little northern I guess, one of those basic classics. It was always a floorpacker over here in the early days. Hope to see you soon too but can't afford to make it over in the very near future I fear. Manchester last summer was really great. Are you gonna take Olof down to Canal Street like you did with us all last time? :(

If at all possible you should really try and come over to Malmoe in August, it will be a fantastic weekend and allnighter.

:(

https://realside.sdf-eu.org/soulquake.shtml

Edited by Guest
Social source share

I don't know, Chuck Wood is big everywhere where people have heard a little northern I guess, one of those basic classics. It was always a floorpacker over here in the early days. Hope to see you soon too but can't afford to make it over in the very near future I fear. Manchester last summer was really great. Are you gonna take Olof down to Canal Street like you did with us all last time? :D

If at all possible you should really try and come over to Malmoe in August, it will be a fantastic weekend and allnighter.

:D

https://realside.sdf-eu.org/soulquake.shtml

link

Email me all details mate,let them get back on topic here...I have that weekend free and it looks like a winner if the air fares are ok..Would be coming with freinds from Spain also...Email me...stevecato64@yahoo.co.uk

Social source share

Picture the scene--- local nightclub, 1970, a dozen 1st time round skinhead birds in monkey boots and pewter levi sty-press, me in my doc's , turned up levi's, grandads vest and braces and a pint of double diamond in my hand dancing to

TWINE TIME - ALVIN CASH

UPTIGHT - STEVIE WONDER--------AND OF COURSE

SKINHEAD MOONSTOMP - SYMARIP (might be spelt wrong)

COME ON EVERY BODY,

PUT YOUR BRACES TOGETHER AND YOUR BOOTS ON YOUR FEET

AND GIVE ME SOME OF THAT OOOLD MOOONSTOMPIN

Social source share

Yeh, I think the Leeds boys played NOTW, and Dave played I'm Your Pimp.  In all it was a great if somewhat surreal night.

I was just a bit upset that you didn't arrange a soulnight in Tunisia last week!.  Honestly this job is hell!

Hope to see you soon.

Paul

link

Hi Paul,

Surreal is a good description mate :D

I know we were talking about those '75 sounds beforehand and I think it was either Elusive or Cut Your Motor Off that I dropped in :D

I've discovered I have some videos on my phone from that night, including one from the stage where you can be seen making merry to Sam Williams! :D

There's a voice on stage saying "Oh dear.....oh dear, oh dear....I can't find the f*ckin record....."

Not sure who that was :D:P

Dave

Social source share

Guest martyn

Never went there but those records were being played at the same time at a place called "Sammies" actually St Giles Youth Club in Wiilenhall which had a cracking allnighter - top dj's from all over the UK, brilliant sounds, they even had their own cloth badges made.  Did I dream all this or did anyone else go?  I was 15, I can't believe my parents let me walk from Wolverhampton to Willenhall at just before midnight, let alone attend the allnighter.

link

Yeah,I was 15 at the time as well...............can't think what my parents were thinking of either-must have been on better drugs than me :D:D

Social source share

Never went there but those records were being played at the same time at a place called "Sammies" actually St Giles Youth Club in Wiilenhall which had a cracking allnighter - top dj's from all over the UK, brilliant sounds, they even had their own cloth badges made.  Did I dream all this or did anyone else go?  I was 15, I can't believe my parents let me walk from Wolverhampton to Willenhall at just before midnight, let alone attend the allnighter.

link

I never went there but my missus was going there all the time when she was 14 , reckoned she loved it there. I think the buildings still there but it looks derelict. There was also Willenhall baths just up the road from there which I did go to which was a decent soul night.

Social source share

Guest Byrney

Got to say I'm well impressed with all of you that can remember the specific records you first heard, obviously this lifestyle hasnt cost everyone as many brain cells as it has me. I started off at the Notts Palais Alldayers Dec 78. Can't remember specifics but I'm sure one of the many that caught my attention was Billy Arnell - Tough Girl, might have been the instrumental version. It sounded so different to anything I'd every heard before!

Social source share

My first away venue walked in and Wille Tee ""Walking up a one way street " was on the decks ,Straigt on to the dance floor and danced in my new full length leather coat around my addis bag.

First record I can rember hearing at a soul do was Little Anthony " Use your head "

Cleethorpes Winter Gardens 1976 :thumbsup:

Social source share

My first away venue walked in and Wille Tee ""Walking up a one way street " was on the decks ,Straigt on to the dance floor and danced in my new full length leather coat around my addis bag.First record I can rember hearing at a soul do was Little Anthony " Use your head "

Cleethorpes Winter Gardens 1976  :lol:

link

Addis bag Miff ? Were you going to mop the floor ? :thumbsup:

Social source share

Addis bag Miff ? Were you going to mop the floor ?  :thumbsup:

link

Oops, Adidas Bag, :lol:

What about the revoling dance floor down stairs first time on it i didnt know it moved could't understand why i was moving away from my mates as i danced

:yes:

Social source share

Guest martyn

Oops, Adidas Bag, :thumbsup:

What about the revoling dance floor down stairs first time on it i didnt know it moved could't understand why i was moving away from my mates as i danced

:lol:

link

[/quote

My experiance was the opposite,I was moving toward a group of girls & put one foot out to steady myself after an energetic spin .Resulted in what in rugby terms would be described as a maul.

Social source share

Great memories of Notts loved it we used to go near on every month an old mate of mine lives there called Tim Briggs From Grimsby, if anybody knows him would love to get in touch havent seen him out for years maybe he is out of it now

Social source share

Guest martyn

Great memories of Notts loved it we used to go near on every month an old mate of mine lives there called Tim Briggs From Grimsby, if anybody knows him would love to get in touch havent seen him out for years maybe he is out of it now

link

The best time I had at Notts was a new years day nighter 1979 going in to 1980.Cracking night,though sadly the only nighter I remember attending there though I used to go to the dayers frequently

Social source share

Guest martyn

BTW the worst thing about Notts Palais ( besides the revolving floor).........HAROLD bloody BETTS-THEME FROM THE FANTASTIC PLASTIC :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert