Don Thomas (How Did He Meet His Maker)

• Replies 50
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest loma 1

one of the last recordings the late darrell (eu)banks would record before his untimely death in 1970 at the hands of an off-duty detroit police officer. "forgive me" was taken from banks' last album 1969's "here to stay" produced by don davis (hit producer for johnnie taylor) and released on the stax records sister label volt. recently soulfuldetroit.com set up a fund to purchase a grave marking for banks whose detroit cemetary plot went unmarked since his passing. fans and supporters gave graciously and enough money was raised for the marker. had banks lived only heaven knows how high his career would've soared,but since fate intervened that cold motor city winter day,one could only imagine

Social source share

one of the last recordings the late darrell (eu)banks would record before his untimely death in 1970 at the hands of an off-duty detroit police officer. "forgive me" was taken from banks' last album 1969's "here to stay" produced by don davis (hit producer for johnnie taylor) and released on the stax records sister label volt. recently soulfuldetroit.com set up a fund to purchase a grave marking for banks whose detroit cemetary plot went unmarked since his passing. fans and supporters gave graciously and enough money was raised for the marker. had banks lived only heaven knows how high his career would've soared,but since fate intervened that cold motor city winter day,one could only imagine

Wasnt said off duty officer also giving Darrell's missus one?

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Just going 'Off Topic' for a minute but l think that one of the Greek Philosophers (think it was Plato but could be wrong!)was killed when a tortoise hit him on the head!! :thumbsup:

Nope - he drank Hemlock and was poisoned.

A Greek tragedy!

:yes:

Or was that Socrates? :g:

:lol:

Aeschylus was killed by a Tortoise.

Sean

Edited by Sean Hampsey
Social source share

Guest s0ul45

I'm led to believe that Johnny Ace of 'Pledging My Love' fame shot himself in the head in a game of Russian roulette!!!

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

John Whitehead of McFadden & Whitehead was shot by dead two blokes in the street while he was working on his car.

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Guest stevejan

talkin to a mate of mine about don thomas(come on train) ,when he informed me he was shot in a robbery or something along those line is this true:chinstroke:

are there any other idols of our scene who have meet strange endings ?

I thought he was run over by a train?

Social source share

Wasn't Bob Hamilton the brilliant producer and brother of Ronie Savoy and Al Kent murdrered? Remember reading it once but cant remember if he was shot or stabbed.

Social source share

Anyway,talking of dying(as we obviously are), l would like to die in a comical way..I.E. Walking past some flats and a piano lands on my head.. OR...

....As a hero,saving a kid from drowning,burning to death etc.. :unsure:

These days you'd be more likely to die by walking past some flats and the kid lands on your head!

:yes:

Sean

Social source share

Wasn't Bob Hamilton the brilliant producer and brother of Ronie Savoy and Al Kent murdrered? Remember reading it once but cant remember if he was shot or stabbed.

He was shot in a drive by shooting in Detroit in 1969.

Social source share

Guest posstot

Went to a fancy Dress party once. I answered the door and a bloke was stood there giving some girl a piggy back....I said what have you come as then...The bloke replied a Tortoise....How do you work that one out?, i said.....he pointed to the girl on his back and said. This is Michelle!! tumbleweed3.gif I'll get me coat

Social source share

Guest proudlove

Anyway,talking of dying(as we obviously are), l would like to die in a comical way..I.E. Walking past some flats and a piano lands on my head.. OR...

....As a hero,saving a kid from drowning,burning to death etc.. thumbsup.gif

Shot in bed by a jealous husband---------------------------on my 100th birthday!

Social source share

l always thought that it was an an amplifier hit him on the head...Not trying to be funny here!!

you could be right, but I seem to remember somthing about scaffolding falling on him somewhere .........sure it was on the news.....or it could be my hangover!

Social source share

Curtis mayfield was hit by a lighting rig and died about 8 yrs later after on boxing day 99 , suffering diabetis and other illnesses. david ruffin dumped lifeless from a car, Jackie Wilson died after 8 yrs in a coma after collapsing on stage.

Edited by soul-dancers
Social source share

Curtis mayfield was hit by a lighting rig and died quite some time later. david ruffin dumped lifeless from a car, Jackie Wilson died after 8 yrs in a coma after collapsing on stage.

It was years after Jackie Wilson died that it became knowledge he was in an unmarked grave and Blues & Soul ran a fund to raise the money for a headstone, as he died virtually broke due to the medical bills

All those records, songs etc and IMO the greatest singer of all time to be laid to rest without a headstone says a lot about the music industry if not society in general even all those years ago.

Dave Halsall

Social source share

It was years after Jackie Wilson died that it became knowledge he was in an unmarked grave and Blues & Soul ran a fund to raise the money for a headstone, as he died virtually broke due to the medical bills

All those records, songs etc and IMO the greatest singer of all time to be laid to rest without a headstone says a lot about the music industry if not society in general even all those years ago.

Dave Halsall

Indeed he was a great singer\artist, did the Clash or sham 69 do some charity do's to pay some of his medical bills?and did David Ruffin hit Tammi Terrell on the head with a ball pien hammer or was it David porter(sam & dave)?

Social source share

Indeed he was a great singer\artist, did the Clash or sham 69 do some charity do's to pay some of his medical bills?and did David Ruffin hit Tammi Terrell on the head with a ball pien hammer or was it David porter(sam & dave)?

Tammi Terrell's sister doesn't think Ruffin had owt to do with her death. Not sure about Dave (Prater), he may have done, she seemed to pick the wrong blokes, but she was allegedly beaten up by James Brown.

Sam Moore claimed they split up because Dave shot his (own) wife. Dave was later killed in a car crash.

Probably the most grusome death was Bobby Fuller who was pumped full of petrol for messing with a gangsters girl friend.

Social source share

Wasn't Tony Clark shot dead over a gambling debt ? (no Wrong man jokes please)

also myself and Tats were once told that "2 of the Natural 4 were shot because they were bad motherf***ers"

Most of the Modulations were killed by rival gang members or drug dealers as well-(except Glenn Jones)

Modulations-4.jpg

In the words of Jerry Jackson "Its rough out there"

Social source share

Guest stevejan

These days you'd be more likely to die by walking past some flats and the kid lands on your head!

yes.gif

Sean

A Greek tragedy?

Social source share

Are The Modulations on Buddah the same group as the one on Savoy (i.e. featuring Glenn Jones)? I have reservations about that.

One group which was torn apart by crime and guns was The Rotations on DeBrossard.

Edited by garethx
Social source share

Are The Modulations on Buddah the same group as the one on Savoy (i.e. featuring Glenn Jones)? I have reservations about that.

No Gareth, as you suspect, they are not the same group.

Buddah Modulations Lineup (Durham, North Carolina):-

Larry Allen on Lead Vocals

Hoyal Saunders - Tenor

Harry A. Channelle - Tenor / Baritone

Larry Duncan - Baritone

Savoy Modulations Lineup (Jacksonville Florida):

Glenn Jones

Walter Givens

Ronnie Jones

Cheers

Sean

Edited by Sean Hampsey