The Epitome Of Northern Soul?

Guest posstot

Hi, not picking on your selection of tracks just kinda demonstrating how folks have different taste and what to one is great isn't so great to another.

Of the 4 artists you mention personally I'd pick -----

I wouldn't have picked any Little Anthony as a classic example of a Northern Soul sound but that's me.

Sapphires - The Slow Fizz

Jackie Day - Before It's Too Late

Roscoe Shelton - Running For My Life ------------------- Now that's a Northern tune :tongue:

Just shows how diverse the range of personal taste is out there and I suppose we all come at it with different likes and dislikes, feelings, memories etc etc.

Not saying your tracks are worse or mine are better just depends on the listeners ear.

thumbsup.gif

No Offence taken whatso-ever. Your points are valid..........:chinstroke: Except our opinions differ on the little anthony point. I would have thought Better use your head is a prime example of "Northern"....Infact one of the reasons i became a lover of 60's Soul music/Northern soul.

Furtherring your points on opinion, and tastes...I actually thought of the running for my life, which, to me, is an example of Northern Dancer at its best( well it was). Now it is considered RnB probably...:rolleyes:.

Mike.

ooh what about Sapphires Evil one!! another great "northern" ting

Social source share

• Replies 78
  • Views 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

To me, Paul Anka "Can't Help Loving You" sums up Northern Soul perfectly .

Where else in the world would teenage kids dance to a record in the early hours of the morning sung by somebody called Johnny Caswell but it is in fact by a 50s & 60s pop singer called Paul Anka, who incidentally wrote the lyrics to "My Way", & then call it Northern Soul !!!!!! ?

Says it all to me.

Bloody good record BTW.

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

To me, Paul Anka "Can't Help Loving You" sums up Northern Soul perfectly .

Where else in the world would teenage kids dance to a record in the early hours of the morning sung by somebody called Johnny Caswell but it is in fact by a 50s & 60s pop singer called Paul Anka, who incidentally wrote the lyrics to "My Way", & then call it Northern Soul !!!!!! ?

Says it all to me.

Bloody good record BTW.

paul anka is rubbish...............and people danced all night to shit in the main, cause they were out their heads.........lets have a reality check here:wicked:

Social source share

paul anka is rubbish...............and people danced all night to shit in the main, cause they were out their heads.........lets have a reality check herewicked.gif

Can't agree with that at all.

Don't ever remember going to any all nighter or venue in 74 (when I think PA was first played) that played s..t all night?

Social source share

paul anka is rubbish...............and people danced all night to shit in the main, cause they were out their heads.........lets have a reality check herewicked.gif

I danced to it....... and I wasn't off my head on chemicals !! If northern soul is all about dancing then the Little Anthony's and the Paul Anka's have got to be up there to me one tune that makes me smile, makes me want to shuffle, (Knees won't take it any more) and envy any one who has a copy is.............. CALL ME TOMORROW MAJOR HARRIS

Social source share

Can't agree with that at all.

Don't ever remember going to any all nighter or venue in 74 (when I think PA was first played) that played s..t all night?

In fairness 1974 there was a lot of shit played out, but the good stuff far outdid the shit stuffyes.gif

Some of the best records ever where 1st played in 74wink.gif

Social source share

Paul Anka sums up for me the weird & wonderful world of the Northern soul scene. I also don't think it is rubbish - lots & lots of worse records played than Paul Anka IMO.

Social source share

It's taken me ages to decide on this one, but to me, the most 'northern' sounding northern track, which I might play to an outsider who asked what northern sounded like, has got to be The Professionals 'That's Why I Love You'. What a cracking uplifting first line that launches you straight in - "Pick me up!..."

Social source share

Guest soul elite

Jackie Ross - Trust in me.

Gimme some lovin` - Deltones.

great tracks to get your heart rate up!

Social source share

Guest HindleyPhil

Can't accept any lists,or any dicussion or any soul politics,just give us all what one record is representative of Northern soul.The perfect representative for me would be Lorraine Chandler-l Can't Hold On thumbsup.gif

Keep On Keeping On - Nolan Porter

Social source share

Guest mvb031259

You are touching perfection there,mate! Danced to it at Whitby at the weekend..Absolutely brilliant!! thumbup.gif

Me too how good was that eh thumbup.gifthumbup.gif

Social source share

What about Lillie Bryant? Stormer from the first bar!!

Chalky ,Joan- should come to Berlin Butch plays Diane Lewis every anniversary for me!

Steve

Second that! Lillie Bryant Northern Soul perfection!

Social source share

Guest Scarborosoul

Back to the heady days of 4 Seasons in Scarborough...............

Rita Decosta - Dont Bring me Down or

Ray Agee - Im Losing again

Rick

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert