The Epitome Of Northern Soul?

Can't accept any lists,or any dicussion or any soul politics,just give us all what one record is representative of Northern soul.The perfect representative for me would be Lorraine Chandler-l Can't Hold On :thumbup:

Edited by webbydublin
Social source share

• Replies 78
  • Views 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Can't accept any lists,or any dicussion or any soul politics,just give us all what one record is representative of Northern soul.The perfect representative for me would be Lorraine Chandle-l Can't Hold On thumbsup.gif

Couldn't agree with your choice more, awsome sound

Social source share

Can't accept any lists,or any dicussion or any soul politics,just give us all what one record is representative of Northern soul.The perfect representative for me would be Lorraine Chandle-l Can't Hold On :D

Would the above mentioned Lorraine Chandle,be a distant relative of Lorraine Chandler?

Grant

Social source share

Guest bully7

..but time to bury it in a time capsule and dig it up in 2039 (at the earliest)

sleep3.gif

Mark C

no it isn't, a classic that stills fills the dance floor where i go and one of my favourites too (ns snobbery)

Social source share

tough to choose one as there are so many....Mello Souls, Diane Lewis - You Ain't Got A Chance, Fidels -Try A Little Harder, Invitations - What's Wrong With Me Baby, Tommy Ridgely - My Love Gets Stronger (not everyone's cuppa but my all time fave), Tommy And The Derbys - Don't Play The Role....

Social source share

Diane Lewis - You Ain't Got A Chance

Was playing this in the car yesterday.

Wouldn't be my 'epitome of northern', but it certainly is a top tune thumbsup.gif

Any chance you can tell that Butch fella to play it on Saturday, or else he's sacked? laugh.gif

He never has it with him these days Joan. I'm always asking him to play it.....rolleyes.gif

Social source share

Diane Lewis - You Ain't Got A Chance

Was playing this in the car yesterday.

Wouldn't be my 'epitome of northern', but it certainly is a top tune thumbsup.gif

Any chance you can tell that Butch fella to play it on Saturday, or else he's sacked? laugh.gif

He never has it with him these days Joan. I'm always asking him to play it.....rolleyes.gif

dunno if I've heard Butch play it since the mov to te Stables but he has played it ow and gain at our other venues.

Social source share

dunno if I've heard Butch play it since the mov to te Stables but he has played it ow and gain at our other venues.

I haven't heard him play it God knows how many years Chalky, but it is the one I wish he would play everytime I hear him do a spot.

Awesome tune!!

Social source share

Frank Wilson - Do i love you

The " Epitomy of Northern Soul " ? possibly

Roy Hamilton - " Crackin' Up Over You "

Pete S is likely to nominate The Carstairs ........

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Did post Major Lance but changed my mind. Best Northern Soul sounding northern soul track for me ---

Tomangoes

thumbup.gif

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

SECONDED

More I sit here and thin the more I keep changing me flippin' mind.

Both Johnny Wyatt and Alexander Patton gotta be up there surely, f--k its so hard to decide.

Social source share

Guest Brett F

I'm thinking real hard, the genre seems to have changed like a river with all it's sways and torrents..................but i'll name one off the top of my head........Rubin on Kapp, never had this record but i still think it's brilliant. one i have got is probably the "Q".on Hound...............

By the way Pete S..i'm not a part of this thread it's just a mirage..........wink.gif

Social source share

Guest posstot

OOh OOh....Ain't nobody mentioned Little Anthony and the Imperials Better use your head.....good.gif That has to Rank up there in the top Ten Somewhere......ooh ooh and not forgetting the Sapphires Gotta have your love yes.gif OOh ooh and not forgetting Jackie Day Naughty boy ( ooooooooohhhhhhhhhh YYYeeeSSSSS!! ).

Lastly, a record that got release over here in the 80's on an album, from a master tape...and for me i think tops the list...

Roscoe Shelton You're the dreamthumbup.gif NOW THAT'S A """"""""NORTHERN """""""tune.

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

OOh OOh....Ain't nobody mentioned Little Anthony and the Imperials Better use your head.....good.gif That has to Rank up there in the top Ten Somewhere......ooh ooh and not forgetting the Sapphires Gotta have your love yes.gif OOh ooh and not forgetting Jackie Day Naughty boy ( ooooooooohhhhhhhhhh YYYeeeSSSSS!! ).

Lastly, a record that got release over here in the 80's on an album, from a master tape...and for me i think tops the list...

Roscoe Shelton You're the dreamthumbup.gif NOW THAT'S A """"""""NORTHERN """""""tune.

Hi, not picking on your selection of tracks just kinda demonstrating how folks have different taste and what to one is great isn't so great to another.

Of the 4 artists you mention personally I'd pick -----

I wouldn't have picked any Little Anthony as a classic example of a Northern Soul sound but that's me.

Sapphires - The Slow Fizz

Jackie Day - Before It's Too Late

Roscoe Shelton - Running For My Life ------------------- Now that's a Northern tune tongue.gif

Just shows how diverse the range of personal taste is out there and I suppose we all come at it with different likes and dislikes, feelings, memories etc etc.

Not saying your tracks are worse or mine are better just depends on the listeners ear.

thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert