I Give Up

Greetings fellow Soul Sourcer's.

Have you ever tried to track down a record and got the feeling that you're just not meant to own it! :lol:

I've been chasing The Constellations "I Don't Know About You" for quite a while now and i'm always "just missing it"

and it's even worse when certain things happen (out of the ordinary) to make sure you miss it (if ya know what i mean).

My latest example is that i very rarely get asked to work a night shift but i had to do so last night.

When i arrived home after 6 this morning i checked my e-mails and there was a pm from a Soul Source member (sent while i was at work)

telling me that he had just listed a Constellations for sale so i instantly went to log on to Soul Source to send a pm but the

site was down.

The need for sleep got the better of me so i tried again when i eventually woke later on today.

Soul Source was working this time and i managed to send a pm so the anxious wait began for a reply.

Then the reply came with the words "just sold it an hour ago". :P

My heart sank and all the "what if's" begin to fill my head.

If i hadn't been working silly hours last night, i would have been able to respond to the pm earlier,

if the Soul Source site wasn't down this morning.... if only i managed to get my pm sent sooner etc. etc.

Have you any similar stories where you feel the whole world is conspiring against you so you just can't get that chunk of vinyl?

Edited by soulboy69
Social source share

• Replies 18
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Have you ever tried to track down a record and got the feeling that you're just not meant to own it! angry.gif

I've been chasing The Constellations "I Don't Know About You" for quite a while now and i'm always "just missing it"

and it's even worse when certain things happen (out of the ordinary) to make sure you miss it (if ya know what i mean).

My latest example is that i very rarely get asked to work a night shift but i had to do so last night.

When i arrived home after 6 this morning i checked my e-mails and there was a pm from a Soul Source member (sent while i was at work)

telling me that he had just listed a Constellations for sale so i instantly went to log on to Soul Source to send a pm but the

site was down.

The need for sleep got the better of me so i tried again when i eventually woke later on today.

Soul Source was working this time and i managed to send a pm so the anxious wait began for a reply.

Then the reply came with the words "just sold it an hour ago". sad.gif

If i hadn't been working silly hours last night, i would have been able to respond to the pm earlier,

if the Soul Source site wasn't down this morning.... if only i managed to get my pm sent sooner etc. etc.

Have you any similar stories where you feel the whole world is conspiring against you so you just can't get that chunk of vinyl?

Early bird get's the wormph34r.gif

Not having a go at the seller ,because he obviously made an effort to let you know he had one for sale.

Personally i would have contacted you 1st and offered it to you ,but that's because im a soulsource junkie and have seen most posts in sales/wants laugh.gif

On the upside ,at least it's not something ultra rare i:e there's plenty of em,so you will get one sooner or later yes.gif

Maybe if you are so desperate ,you should settle for a playable one until a nicer one comes alongg.gif ..........just a thought ,most of the minters could be in collections and very hard to prise away,but im sure there are a few dj's who've had it for yrs and ,dare i say it?? sick of playing itohmy.gif so willing to let it go to fund a new want??

Only a thought but either way ,good luck with thisthumbsup.gif

Social source share

Thanks for the kind words Nev.

I'm a fussy git when it comes to vinyl quality and i know the record is not that rare but if i wasn't chasing it,

i'm sure there would be one in sales every other week.

That's the point of my post really, i'm looking for those paranoid stories where you feel that you're just

never gonna find a copy of that "want" because certain things happen to make you miss it. :lol:

I know i'll eventually get myself a copy but the adventure along the way is the frustrating bit.

I have another story of missing out on a record that involves Larry Davis (on Kent) and a sugar lorry

but i'll save that for another day. :P

Social source share

A record which you'd trip over at tons of cut-out places in the U.K. in the 70's - in fact, so common it would be embarassing to even have one in your sales box LOL. Many of the copies I saw back then were water-damaged and I often wondered whether these came from the same stock that Jim Wilson in Shoreditch had (same load as the Del-Larks which were similarly damaged). I seem to remember this being around at the same time.......

So not that rare and one will come up soon enough I reckon.thumbsup.gif

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

A record which you'd trip over at tons of cut-out places in the U.K. in the 70's - in fact, so common it would be embarassing to even have one in your sales box LOL. Many of the copies I saw back then were water-damaged and I often wondered whether these came from the same stock that Jim Wilson in Shoreditch had (same load as the Del-Larks which were similarly damaged). I seem to remember this being around at the same time.......

So not that rare and one will come up soon enough I reckon.thumbsup.gif

Ian D biggrin.gif

Are you sure you aren't mixing this up with their other Gemini outing "I didn't know how to" Ian? That was always far easier than, "I don't know about you"

In answer to your post soulboy 69, I always keep missing out on the Poets - wrapped arround my finger.....angry.gif

But if you still want Larry Davis on Kent, I have one for sale.

Social source share

Are you sure you aren't mixing this up with their other Gemini outing "I didn't know how to" Ian? That was always far easier than, "I don't know about you"

In answer to your post soulboy 69, I always keep missing out on the Poets - wrapped arround my finger.....angry.gif

But if you still want Larry Davis on Kent, I have one for sale.

That wasn't the case in the early 80's Phil. When "IDKAY" was first played no one wanted "IDKHT" and they were all over the place. I wasn't as enlightened then and seeing as it was recorded after '67 I wasn't interested. You live and learn though :lol:

Social source share

That wasn't the case in the early 80's Phil. When "IDKAY" was first played no one wanted "IDKHT" and they were all over the place. I wasn't as enlightened then and seeing as it was recorded after '67 I wasn't interested. You live and learn though sad.gif

In the seventies I sold them both for £1 each.....laugh.gifph34r.gif That's life....

Social source share

one seemed to be as common as the other back in the 80's Phil with both around all the time, paid the same for both copies at the same time.

Social source share

I remember at least one person buying "I Don't know About You" by mistake in the 1980's, and being well p*ss*d off. I wonder how many copies got smashed up by irate buyers, back then. I also remember someone buying George Kirby instead of Frankie & Classicals, and throwing it on the tracks at New Street Station in disgust, on being told that it wasn't our "Frankie" but some "slow Sh*t" - no vestax back then!

Des Parker

Social source share

Guest MissHongkongfuey

Have you ever tried to track down a record and got the feeling that you're just not meant to own it! :angry:

site was down.

Then the reply came with the words "just sold it an hour ago". :sad:

Awwwww I'm having the exact same luck with Owen Gray - Lindy Lu!

Toward the end of last year, Callum S had one for sale along with a few others. I wanted 2 from his sales list but could only afford the 1. So i let Lindy Lu go, hoping it would come along quite soon. A few months ago, I came back from work and waded through what seemed like hundreds of catch-up emails. Sure enough, my saved ebay searches filled me with excitement when said Owen track popped up. I set the reminder on my mobile for the next day and booked the afternoon off work ready to bid. The bidding ended that day and it was snapped up for £10.50. I got my days wrong being the total f**kwit i am!!! No 45 and half a day lost pay to add to my pain

Now i just can't seem to find one. I've even resigned myself to snap anything up, no matter what the condition.

I think i'll never get the thing!

I've even begged a certain DJ to part with his and he just laughs. I reckon he's got a few them stashed and sleep with them under his pillow to taunt me LOL. The one i did buy from Callum, has been listed many times on ebay and could have brought it several times over but not the Lindy Lu :no:

I wouldn't mind so much if it were rare or really expensive.....but it's not. I just can track one down. :sad:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert