boba

• Replies 20
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Fantastic mate, thank you

walter is the guy wearing the kangol cap. he's also the lead in the admirations 'wait till i get to know you', one of the most classic chicago soul songs. cliff frazier is the guy on the right, he had bit parts in barbershop and more recently in the prison break tv show. it's funny, the guy i interviewed the week before, rex alexander of the auditions was also in barbershop, and previously lorenzo clemons of the mandells was also in barbershop.

Social source share

Many thanks for this. One of the best things I've EVER seen or heard on the net.

The net has changed vastly our knowledge of soul music, and I'd like to relate this tale for those amongst you who have only recently become soul converts as an example of how we'd chase any leads to try to track down info/records back in the good old days. I read in some obscure privately printed book that Walter Scott often left behind his Bob Kuban band mates to go sing in Chicago studios under various names, as a way of supplementing his income. This fitted in with what we already knew from the few artists we'd got to interview who'd also told us about recording under a variety of names.

Because of his vocal ability and tone sounding at times more black than white, I spent a whole evening listening to all the tracks I knew were his, and trying to compare them to any tunes of lesser known chicago recorded acts.

You can just imagine the lightbulb moment when I suddenly thought of the LA CINDY 45.

It had to be him, guesting with the Admirations while their lead singer was away doing his national service maybe ( it's funny how your brain finds a way to make the facts fit the theory) I knew that somewhere amongst all the junk I'd kept over the years was on a live venue tape with one side of it on. I totally convinced myself that I was right, so now I am so pleased that someone has actually got to the right people, and blown my silly theory out of the water. How strange that they also got their tunes played on the scene under their various guises - you'd never have connected Walter & Admirations with Velvet Hammer - now i'm Happy too !!

Social source share

Not coming out with any sound here .. sad.gif And they spelt Admirations wrong.. mellow.gif

sound works for me, but it's a little low, so maybe you should turn the youtube volume level up. it's spelled 'admerations' on the records, there's a pseudo-explanation in the actual interview, like it's possibly a typo or possibly intentional to differentiate between the Admirations who were still active at the time, so I left the spelling as on the record.

Social source share

sound works for me, but it's a little low, so maybe you should turn the youtube volume level up. it's spelled 'admerations' on the records, there's a pseudo-explanation in the actual interview, like it's possibly a typo or possibly intentional to differentiate between the Admirations who were still active at the time, so I left the spelling as on the record.

Thanks Bob. Volume probably due to works computer - as everyone else can hear it. Will have a listen at home.

Duly advised on 'admerations' point - sorry.

Social source share

that was great..loved it..keep em coming please!!

Absolutely magnificent....

When I see clips like this, I am reassurred that our scene is exactly what my heart really tells me it is.

I.E a fantastic almost impossibly surreal collective recognition of what is simply the finest 'popular music' ever cut to vinyl. Behind all the warts, the politics, the snipings, the record collecting and DJ'ing egos, the whole thing really evolves around two singular aspects....

The failure of the rest of the world to truly acknowledge the musical brilliance and talent Black America brought to the table primarily in the 1960s and early to mid 70s...

And the somehow almost miraculous connection made by a certain few thousand young people in the UK during the late 60s and early to mid 70s, in perhaps, instinctively, recognising that.

These men will be forever young and the word 'Soul' is epitomised by the exp​ressions on their faces as they listen and sing along with that track.

Likewise, true Soul music fans can never grow old and in my opionion, we are only just starting to realise the true value of this music, crazy as that may seem to some on here. I speak as a fan of over 35 years when I say that it is the present day scene which really encapsulates and illustrates the true power of this music....

Never mind all the old memories of youth we all share - the ones that are still being created today are more remarkable in my book given the age groups concerned. It's a testament to the true quality of the music that fully grown adults, fathers, mothers etc now still wish to dedicate sizeable portions of their lifespace to participating and following the scene.

Brilliant mate....

Edited by chorleysoul
Social source share

Many thanks for this. One of the best things I've EVER seen or heard on the net.

The net has changed vastly our knowledge of soul music, and I'd like to relate this tale for those amongst you who have only recently become soul converts as an example of how we'd chase any leads to try to track down info/records back in the good old days. I read in some obscure privately printed book that Walter Scott often left behind his Bob Kuban band mates to go sing in Chicago studios under various names, as a way of supplementing his income. This fitted in with what we already knew from the few artists we'd got to interview who'd also told us about recording under a variety of names.

Because of his vocal ability and tone sounding at times more black than white, I spent a whole evening listening to all the tracks I knew were his, and trying to compare them to any tunes of lesser known chicago recorded acts.

You can just imagine the lightbulb moment when I suddenly thought of the LA CINDY 45.

It had to be him, guesting with the Admirations while their lead singer was away doing his national service maybe ( it's funny how your brain finds a way to make the facts fit the theory) I knew that somewhere amongst all the junk I'd kept over the years was on a live venue tape with one side of it on. I totally convinced myself that I was right, so now I am so pleased that someone has actually got to the right people, and blown my silly theory out of the water. How strange that they also got their tunes played on the scene under their various guises - you'd never have connected Walter & Admirations with Velvet Hammer - now i'm Happy too !!

walter scott recorded as walter scott and the kapers on ivanhoe ($5 45 that sounds like a $1000 45, great double-sider)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert