Crossover-70's-modern

Guest SHAUN BYRNES

Seriously though i think it is neccesary to put sounds into genres, the scene has evolved and many nights cater for differing tastes, also helps when looking through a myriad of record boxes (well it helps me, when i'm in a 70's x/over mood) .A broad generalisation won't help anyone with the plethora of events on, for me it helps define my choice of venue, yet paradoxically i always sway towards an "Across the Board" night...............I now totally retract my original statement and will fight like a dog in a steel bin with anyone who suggests we "pigeonhole this music of ours....... :huh::huh:

Brett...No F****** idea Franklin

Social source share

• Replies 146
  • Views 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I don't believe in Across The Board nights - it's either Northern or Modern. I would not want to hear one single modern record at any venue I went to so I'd choose accordingly. In fact I'd ban across the board nights and tell them to make their f*cking minds up :huh:

Social source share

I don't believe in Across The Board nights - it's either Northern or Modern.  I would not want to hear one single modern record at any venue I went to so I'd choose accordingly.  In fact I'd ban across the board nights and tell them to make their f*cking minds up  :huh:

link

Here ya go again Do you go to any? :huh:

What is the point at sniping at other peoples choice

a lot of people are far more plural about soul music

than die hard 60s fans ..... dosnt mean you have to be

Its ok to be a 60s fan .. you have my permission

if i wanna listen to woman of the ghetto Doris Duke whats it to you

(covered by Marcia griffiths BTW)

Social source share

Here ya go again Do you go to any? :huh:

link

No I just said, I got to northern do's. can't you read or sommat?

By the way 'Catskill' with your massive total of 19 of your posts, you want to look around the site a bit before you start making with the snide comments, it's a f*cking discussion board and thats what we do, you know, like people have different opinions and we discuss them?

Edited by Pete-S
Social source share

I define Northern Soul as evrything, its what the DJ's play at the venues around the country and we listen to and dance to, it was the DJ's who brought us the sounds in the first place, just seems now everyone is getting older everyone and his brother or sister now wants to dictate the scene.

I always thought crossover was when the disco/funky sounds met northern soul, not a bad thing, but even back then you had die hards that hated change, i class x-over as songs like the carstairs, has a northern soul style of vocals and 50/50 with soul and disco.

I see modern as the stuff i personaly never heard in 78/79, thats because they wernt around then or no DJ was interested in playing new stuff when from what i can remember the sounds that we wanted to hear were rare sounds and not what we called plastic.Saying that about modern, i suppose someone could say the same about x-over when that first was played by the DJ's, depends when you first got onto the scene and what you was listening to at the time.

At the end of the day i hear what i think is modern, maybe it could be something that i know what kind of sound i like , hard to explain, but i go back to saying what i said at first, its all northern soul, it only gets classified by people who think they know or want to be seen as they know to much, i aint impressed by it at all, its a boring subject, at the end of the day if i like a song ill dance to it, coz to me its northern soul.

Social source share

I define Northern Soul as evrything, its what the DJ's play at the venues around the country and we listen to and dance to, it was the DJ's who brought us the sounds in the first place, just seems now everyone is getting older everyone and his brother or sister now wants to dictate the scene.

I always thought crossover was when the disco/funky sounds met northern soul, not a bad thing, but even back then you had die hards that hated change, i class x-over as songs like the carstairs, has a northern soul style of vocals and 50/50 with soul and disco.

I see modern as the stuff i personaly never heard in 78/79, thats because they wernt around then or no DJ was interested in playing new stuff when from what i can remember the sounds that we wanted to hear were rare sounds and not what we called plastic.Saying that about modern, i suppose someone could say the same about x-over when that first was played by the DJ's, depends when you first got onto the scene and what you was listening to at the time.

At the end of the day i hear what i think is modern, maybe it could be something that i know what kind of sound i like , hard to explain, but i go back to saying what i said at first, its all northern soul, it only gets classified by people who think they know or want to be seen as they know to much, i aint impressed by it at all, its a boring subject, at the end of the day if i like a song ill dance to it, coz to me its northern soul.

link

Social source share

:rolleyes:

I once sang 'Ging Gang Goolie' with the 23rd Streatham Scouts on a camping trip. Is this Tent Music???............ Discuss

link

HI my name is Brian Flanders Flanny to most only just joined this brilliant site

been lurking for weeks I KNOW WHO A FEW OF YOU ARE fellow orwellians hi guys

had to try and add my bit cos this subject has got my back up.

to try and explain what x.over tent 70.s late 60.s early modern call it what you will would take forever I myself have gone through all styles of soul music since 1974 through to brand new soul and must say I love it all love some styles of it more than others. I love soul music full stop but the lost art of 60.s with the superb production or low budget sparse sound or 70. sophito strings n things just about tip the scale for me personally .

you can't explain what tent music is its just a vibe from what the d.j has in their box and their heart as for the cheap remark about tent music I can presume one of two things you may be taking the mick or your an oldies fan that has never experienced 100.s of SOUL fans from all over the world whistling.gif punching the air in unison to Sandra Wright I'll come running back ..............discuss

Flanny the unblinkered one

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Actually Bri old TSU is a bit of a 70's tentist himself and has been known to be seen gracing whistling.gif the floor at the Orwell himself :rolleyes:

Trouty

Social source share

:rolleyes:

I can presume one of two things you may be taking the mick or your an oldies fan that has never experienced 100.s of SOUL fans from all over the world whistling.gif   punching the air in unison to Sandra Wright I'll come running back ..............discuss

Flanny the unblinkered one

link

YEEEEEES God bless you sir,

Damn right Hands in the air, close to religion

dosnt detract from someone wanting to be in a different room

Social source share

Good soul music is good soul music full stop.

I remember the days when GQ 'make my dreams' and Mr Caldwell 'Love Bandit' could be heard in the same spot and no one batted an eyelid. Still Stafford was special like that.

I never understand the need to pidgeon hole everything just so we can formalise our predudices.

Holding a position that says soul music after X date is no good is like saying I only like records recorded by people under the age of 26 or taller than 5'8" ranting_1.gif complete b0ll0cks.

Social source share

Good soul music is good soul music full stop.

I remember the days when GQ 'make my dreams' and Mr Caldwell 'Love Bandit' could be heard in the same spot and no one batted an eyelid. Still Stafford was special like that.

I never understand the need to pidgeon hole everything just so we can formalise our predudices.

Holding a position that says soul music after X date is no good is like saying I only like records recorded by people under the age of 26 or taller than 5'8"  ranting_1.gif   complete b0ll0cks.

link

Exactly right Ged.

Re your point about Stafford though, 10 years before, ALL the major all nighters mixed 70s (inc new releases) with the sixties stompers.East Coast Connection, Gil Scott Heron, Willie J and Co Todays People etc were all massive records across the country. Its not a phenomena created by Stafford or any of the other major eighties all nighters, and all the sixties diehards who were around in the mid seventies can't deny the part these type of records played in the scene.

Also, Sam and Athurs breakaway scene was known to all and sundry as the modern soul scene(early eighties), its not a nineties thing.

If its soul music or northern soul music, the date should not come into it IMO.

Steve

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

I have always considered Northern Soul as a scene not a type of music. I try to tell this to my non-soul mates who do not understand the playing of stuff after 1969.

Shane

Social source share

Exactly right Ged.

Re your point about Stafford though, 10 years before, ALL the major all nighters mixed 70s (inc new releases) with the sixties stompers.East Coast Connection, Gil Scott Heron, Willie J and Co Todays People etc were all massive records across the country.

link

Excuse me. I like all those records. They were uptempo Northern sounds made in the 70's, and that's ok.

Social source share

Excuse me. I like all those records. They were uptempo Northern sounds made in the 70's, and that's ok.

link

I know you do. It wasn't a criticism of them. I like them all too. The point I was making was that Stafford didn't invent the f*cking wheel (no pun intended) but there is this myth that the scene wasn't that good until Stafford came along. And saved us all ranting_1.gif

Social source share

The point I was making was that Stafford didn't invent the f*cking wheel (no pun intended) but there is this myth that the scene wasn't that good until Stafford came along. And saved us all  ranting_1.gif

link

Agreed.... I believe we've discussed this myth many a time Steve.... we doing it again.... I seem to remember we weren't knocking Stafford.... it had it's place like all venues.... just the fact that "sounds" associated (wrongly) with the place were in fact played out first, in many instances, elsewhere....

Social source share

Agreed.... I believe we've discussed this myth many a time Steve.... we doing it again.... I seem to remember we weren't knocking Stafford.... it had it's place like all venues.... just the fact that "sounds" associated (wrongly) with the place were in fact played out first, in many instances, elsewhere....

link

Thats right Mark, not in ANY way a criticism of Stafford, just telling it like it is.

( ranting_1.gif shit, another NS cliche :rolleyes: )

Social source share

Guest Jamie

No mention of 6T's there, phew :thumbsup:

link

I spotted that too :thumbup:

Maybe Mr Smith was being selective and didn't want to offend some people a la your Avatar ranting_1.gif:rolleyes:

Jamie :shades:

Social source share

Exactly right Ged.

Re your point about Stafford though, 10 years before, ALL the major all nighters mixed 70s (inc new releases) with the sixties stompers.East Coast Connection, Gil Scott Heron, Willie J and Co Todays People etc were all massive records across the country. Its not a phenomena created by Stafford or any of the other major eighties all nighters, and all the sixties diehards who were around in the mid seventies can't deny the part these type of records played in the scene.

Also, Sam and Athurs breakaway scene was known to all and sundry as the modern soul scene(early eighties), its not a nineties thing.

If its soul music or northern soul music, the date should not come into it IMO.

Steve

link

I wasn't suggesting that Stafford was the only place this happened after all I was a regular in the Highland Room. I think where there was a slight difference was the lack of any adverse comment from people at the time, they just seemed to accept it. The Mecca, Wigan, Notts Palias, The Ritz, The Carousel, Yate, St Ives, Leeds Central etc etc all appeared to have a judgemental ellement that had disapeared at Stafford IMHO. Mind you there was often very few people to by judgemental ranting_1.gif

Social source share

I wasn't suggesting that Stafford was the only place this happened after all I was a regular in the Highland Room.  I think where there was a slight difference was the lack of any adverse comment from people at the time, they just seemed to accept it. The Mecca, Wigan, Notts Palias, The Ritz, The Carousel, Yate, St Ives, Leeds Central etc etc all appeared to have a judgemental ellement that had disapeared at Stafford IMHO. Mind you there was often very few people to by judgemental  :rolleyes:

link

It dissapeared at Clifton Hall (Rotherham) Ged.... a much more open minded appreciation of the music.... seemed to set the trend for Stafford to carry on in that vein :thumbsup:ranting_1.gif ....

Social source share

Across The Board right...this type of event is for people who really think they are the creme de la creme of NS punters. They get all of it, not just the 60's, therefore they are BETTER and MORE KNOWLEDGABLE than Mr Average punter who only wants to hear 60's, and they waste no time in telling people that they should open their minds and embrace 70's 80, whatever soul because after all, we all love soul music and you can't like 60's and not like 70's, can you?

If I'd have had a machine gun when Albrighton started up, I could have saved the Northern scene singlehandedly ranting_1.gif

Social source share

Across The Board right...this type of event is for people who really think they are the creme de la creme of NS punters.  They get all of it, not just the 60's, therefore they are BETTER and MORE KNOWLEDGABLE than Mr Average punter who only wants to hear 60's, and they waste no time in telling people that they should open their minds and embrace 70's 80, whatever soul because after all, we all love soul music and you can't like 60's and not like 70's, can you?

If I'd have had a machine gun when Albrighton started up, I could have saved the Northern scene singlehandedly  :lol:

link

couldnt agree..... more... pete, next they'll bre bringing cock steady/reggae to northern nights, forgot they already have err somewhere recently :P

Danny "the great wuga wuga"

ps; our next x the board night 15th july

Social source share

couldnt agree..... more... pete, next they'll bre bringing cock steady/reggae to northern nights, forgot they already have err somewhere recently  :P

Danny "the great wuga wuga"

ps; our next x the board night 15th july

link

Yes, in a separate room, schmartarse :lol:

Social source share

Across The Board right...this type of event is for people who really think they are the creme de la creme of NS punters.  They get all of it, not just the 60's, therefore they are BETTER and MORE KNOWLEDGABLE than Mr Average punter who only wants to hear 60's, and they waste no time in telling people that they should open their minds and embrace 70's 80, whatever soul because after all, we all love soul music and you can't like 60's and not like 70's, can you?

If I'd have had a machine gun when Albrighton started up, I could have saved the Northern scene singlehandedly  :yes:

link

Pete mate,

thats b*llocks.

'Connoiseur' is what the elite call themselves. Own room, own dj's :lol:

You should have known that :P

Across the board is a Northern Soul proletariat phrase, invented by the 'connoisseurs' :lol: so the rest of us could understand what they were on about.

BTW, the Carstairs is still the dogs.

Steve

Social source share

Pete mate,

thats b*llocks.

'Connoiseur' is what the elite call themselves. Own room, own dj's  :lol:

You should have known that  :yes:

Across the board is a Northern Soul proletariat phrase, invented by the 'connoisseurs'  :P   so the rest of us could understand what they were on about.

BTW, the Carstairs is still the dogs.

Steve

link

Now it all becomes clear, thanks Steve :lol:

Social source share

Guest Soultown andy

Well im happy to call our nites across the board,and not because i Andy Dyson or Joe Dutton think we are more knowledgeable or the creme de la creme,just that we have 3 rooms running,northern modern and r n b.We have to call it something and across the board fits the bill :lol: .

Social source share

If I'd have had a machine gun when Albrighton started up, I could have saved the Northern scene singlehandedly  :lol:

link

My God a Twisted Sister

Do you understand what x the board is????

as in different to tent music???

cross the board nights are populated by rank and file across the country

they play a mixture of northern and modern , usually dancers so that the blokes

can do their stomping and their wives can dance to a bit of disco

thats all they are

A connesour tent is where they play rare posh soul

Albrighton was the former untill it fell to the bonehead 60s mafia like yourself

as i said before .. dont like those nights dont go..

thats your choice

Social source share

Well im happy to call our nites across the board,and not because i Andy Dyson or Joe Dutton think we are more knowledgeable or the creme de la creme,just that we have 3 rooms running,northern modern and r n b.We have to call it something and across the board fits the bill  :lol: .

link

Thats the point I was making Andy. There seems to be some ridicule of 'Across the Board' nights, as if they are inferior. IMO its exactly the opposite, whats wrong with hearing 60's 70's and some 80's plus RnB at the same venue. You can always wander around if you don't like wahts on where you are.

Surley the wider the choice, the better.

Steve

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

My God a Twisted Sister

thats all they are

Albrighton was the former untill it fell to the bonehead 60s mafia like yourselfas i said before .. dont like those nights dont go..

thats your choice

link

ouch!

catskill, you look like one of those guys from the chuckle bros. :lol:

shane

Edited by ShaneH
Social source share

ouch!

catskill, you look like one of those guys from the chuckle bros.  :lol:

shane

link

ive been told that before .. a couple or so times or ten

Social source share

My God a Twisted Sister

thats all they are

Albrighton was the former untill it fell to the bonehead 60s mafia like yourself

as i said before .. dont like those nights dont go..

thats your choice

link

He doesn't. Thats the point.

When you've been on here longer, you'll realise that the rank and file don't know what they want or what they like. :lol::lol::P

Steve

Social source share

Guest Soultown andy

Thats the idea blade one room events have never been a favourite of mine,at middleton july 16 [blatant plug]3 rooms 24 djs about 15 record dealers booked in all genres covered,thats my idea of across the board.Have to say though not in favour of one room events mixing the styles,and the one room events i attend i prefer them to be 60s northern,just my poinion. :lol: .

Social source share

Thats the point I was making Andy. There seems to be some ridicule of 'Across the Board' nights, as if they are inferior. IMO its exactly the opposite, whats wrong with hearing 60's 70's and some 80's plus RnB at the same venue. You can always wander around if you don't like wahts on where you are.

Steve

link

too true Steve, it seems some people assume that cross the board implies you'll be playing the obvious "same olds" as you skim across the genres, long live across the board; "expect the unexpected"

Danny D

Social source share

Thats the idea blade one room events have never been a favourite of mine,at middleton july 16 [blatant plug]3 rooms 24 djs about 15 record dealers booked in all genres covered,thats my idea of across the board.Have to say though not in favour of one room events mixing the styles,and the one room events i attend i prefer them to be 60s northern,just my poinion. :lol: .

link

Particularly relevant now Andy as the anti this anti that people are more voiciferous than in the mid seventies IMO.

Different room give greater choice, got to be the way.

Social source share

Guest rachel

thats all they are

link

I really hope this is tongue-in-cheek :lol:

Social source share

I really hope this is tongue-in-cheek  :lol:

link

Think a connesour tent is where the dj looks miserable coz everybody is talking rather than listening :P

Social source share

Steve

link

Couldnt agree more Steve :lol: I don't mind when the occasional record I don't like gets played it gives me a chance to get off the dance floor to look at any records for sale :P

Social source share

Guest SHAUN BYRNES

Whos Mr Bignall then????

link

you must know mr bignall, ken, i think one of the only ever present d,j's

at buzzard,(now solar radio)

if your not sure come along to the next r.s.g you'll find out!!!!!!!!

once again thanks for your anwser's !!

pretty much what i thought,been to a do recently(not saying where)

but every 70's,early 80's they played, they said was a cross-over,

did'nt think that was right so i thought i use a life-line & ask the

audience-79% got it right i think.

cheers soul fans.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert