Top 3 Modern Soul Tunes

ln reverse order please,ladies and gentlemen!

3)How Can I Tell Her-Curtis

2)Never Had A Love So Good-Charles Johnson

1)You Got Me Hung Up-King Tutt

Social source share

• Replies 94
  • Views 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest TONY ROUNCE

3 - Curtis Anderson "The Hardest Part"

2 - Melvin Moore "All Of A Sudden"

1 - Tony Troutman "What's The Use"

Social source share

3) "How could you break my heart" Bobby Womack

2) "Let it go" Joi Cardwell

1) "Believe in love" Teddy Penderglass

That might change later.

Social source share

Tough question... I'll have to agree on Charles Johnson I think.. yes.gif

Maybe Ron Hall - 'The way you love me' would be up there aaaannnnddd

Does Rare pleasure - let me down easy count as Modern?... (Even though it's as old as I am!)

Jayne.x

Social source share

My faves are from the 90s:

3. Optimistic - Sounds of Blackness

2. Somewhere, Somehow There's A Soul Heaven - Deep Sensation

1. What The Child Needs - Terry Ronald

But if I was going for 70s, it'd have to be:

3. Spread Love - Al Hudson

2. What's Your Name - Leon Ware

1. Charade - Four Tracks

I've got a million in the constantly changing lists in my head, but these 6 have all been consistently top ten for a very long time.

Thanks to Adam for playing a couple of them last night without me even asking - you call it synchronicity, I call it a psychic link to the record shop in my head. For the last 20 years, whenever a tune I'd like to dance to pops into my head, you magically slap it on the decks, brilliant. Hope you can't read the rest of what's in my mind! post-8338-12455843933529.gif

T x

Social source share

Guest Brett F

Isn't this the time when the whole topic falls into complete and utter chaos...........Just what constitutes "Modern Soul", not going to play Devil's Advocate..... but i don't really think a record from the 1970's/80's (when it's over 20/30/40 years old) can be termed "Modern" ?.

For me Modern Soul is just that Modern....................

MODERN

adjective 1.of or pertaining to present and recent time; not ancient or remote: modern city life. 2.characteristic of present and recent time; contemporary; not antiquated or obsolete: modern viewpoints. 3.of or pertaining to the historical period following the Middle Ages: modern European history. 4.of, pertaining to, or characteristic of contemporary styles of art, literature, music, etc., that reject traditionally accepted or sanctioned forms and emphasize individual experimentation and sensibility

–noun 7.a person of modern times.8.a person whose views and tastes are modern.9.Printing. a type style differentiated from old style by heavy vertical strokes and straight serifs.Synonyms:

1. Modern, recent, late apply to that which is near to or characteristic of the present as contrasted with any other time. Modern is applied to those things that exist in the present age, esp. in contrast to those of a former age or an age long past; hence the word sometimes has the connotation of up-to-date and, thus, good: modern ideas. That which is recent is separated from the present or the time of action by only a short interval; it is new, fresh, and novel: recent developments. Late may mean nearest to the present moment: the late reports on the battle.

Dictionary.com Unabridged

Edited by Brett F
Social source share

Guest Brett F

And while i'm at it i hate these top 3, top 10 lists, it's impossible my mind would change every 14 minutes................

My all time track from the 70's would be the "On The Buses" TV theme tune.............:ph34r: And thanks to Steve Plumb and the Orwell boys for putting me onto that.:wink:

Brett F

Social source share

Tough question... I'll have to agree on Charles Johnson I think.. :yes:

Maybe Ron Hall - 'The way you love me' would be up there aaaannnnddd

Does Rare pleasure - let me down easy count as Modern?... (Even though it's as old as I am!)

Jayne.x

Jayne, Rare Pleasure great record whatever you class it as!

Dave x

Social source share

And while i'm at it i hate these top 3, top 10 lists, it's impossible my mind would change every 14 minutes................

My all time track from the 70's would be the "On The Buses" TV theme tune.............:ph34r: And thanks to Steve Plumb and the Orwell boys for putting me onto that.:wink:

Brett F

Top 3s, Top 10s etc, it is only having a bit of fun at the end of the day.:smile:

It is also good to see what other people come up with.:yes:

What a strange time to state every 14 mins:D yes it is impossible to name but it what takes your fancy at any given time.:wink:

Social source share

Not even one Pete?..

Jayne.x

I don't know because I like loads of 70's records but I just class them as Northern Soul, things like Towaway Zone, Tell me Why, I'm Your Pimp, Anderson Brothers, Will Collins, Sexy Sugar Plum, Billy Woods, Stanley Woodruff, you know those records that were played side by side with the 60's ones when they were new releases etc. But if you ask for something in say the last 20 years I wouldn't be able to even quote a title for you. I think because the sound became so different to that which I liked, I couldn't follow it.

Social source share

Guest Brett F

Top 3s, Top 10s etc, it is only having a bit of fun at the end of the day.smile.gif

It is also good to see what other people come up with.yes.gif

What a strange time to state every 14 minsbiggrin.gif yes it is impossible to name but it what takes your fancy at any given time.wink.gif

FUN !..........FUN !...........this is Soul music, if i wanted to have fun i'd book a "Punch & Judy " show.....................whistling.gif

Social source share

I don't know because I like loads of 70's records but I just class them as Northern Soul, things like Towaway Zone, Tell me Why, I'm Your Pimp, Anderson Brothers, Will Collins, Sexy Sugar Plum, Billy Woods, Stanley Woodruff, you know those records that were played side by side with the 60's ones when they were new releases etc. But if you ask for something in say the last 20 years I wouldn't be able to even quote a title for you. I think because the sound became so different to that which I liked, I couldn't follow it.

Yep, I know what you mean, I wondered how far back to go, hence asking about Rare Pleasure. I think I first heard Mel Britt played in a modern room and

a Terry Jones Village Soul set can comprise of anything from any era which confused me rather at first as most people think of Village Soul as a modern thing.

I've chatted with people on the modern scene who have a similar view but in reverse... can't abide the gritty sixties sound / RnB because it's too different to modern.

Jayne.x

Social source share

I don't know because I like loads of 70's records but I just class them as Northern Soul, things like Towaway Zone, Tell me Why, I'm Your Pimp, Anderson Brothers, Will Collins, Sexy Sugar Plum, Billy Woods, Stanley Woodruff, you know those records that were played side by side with the 60's ones when they were new releases etc.

Shame we don't have more places now that would play a new release next to a 60's record... I want more DJ's who'll play 60's through to new release (bit like I've heard Searling et al described at Wigan)

I get the impression Dj's feel they have to be in one camp or the other (northern or modern), pigeon holed if you like, with very few exceptions anyway.

I'm gonna start a campaign for one in my area!. I have favourites from each decade and I want to hear them all in the same room.

I guess I'll probably be on my own with this (or we'd have more ACB venues anyway) So I'll only campaign for a small room perhaps.. sad.gif

Sorry - gone OT.

Jayne.x

Social source share

Isn't this the time when the whole topic falls into complete and utter chaos...........Just what constitutes "Modern Soul", not going to play Devil's Advocate..... but i don't really think a record from the 1970's/80's (when it's over 20/30/40 years old) can be termed "Modern" ?.

For me Modern Soul is just that Modern....................

MODERN

-adjective 1.of or pertaining to present and recent time; not ancient or remote: modern city life. 2.characteristic of present and recent time; contemporary; not antiquated or obsolete: modern viewpoints. 3.of or pertaining to the historical period following the Middle Ages: modern European history. 4.of, pertaining to, or characteristic of contemporary styles of art, literature, music, etc., that reject traditionally accepted or sanctioned forms and emphasize individual experimentation and sensibility

-noun 7.a person of modern times.8.a person whose views and tastes are modern.9.Printing. a type style differentiated from old style by heavy vertical strokes and straight serifs.Synonyms:

1. Modern, recent, late apply to that which is near to or characteristic of the present as contrasted with any other time. Modern is applied to those things that exist in the present age, esp. in contrast to those of a former age or an age long past; hence the word sometimes has the connotation of up-to-date and, thus, good: modern ideas. That which is recent is separated from the present or the time of action by only a short interval; it is new, fresh, and novel: recent developments. Late may mean nearest to the present moment: the late reports on the battle.

Dictionary.com Unabridged

No. let's not. Let's be different and let's just have fun and chat about records we love, as I'm sure the thread starter intended. smile.gif

Jayne.x

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

3. miss louistine (can't remember the title but i love the track)

2. Underground Ministries feat Kenny Bobien - I Shall Not Be Moved

1. Drizabone - Pressure hey it's an oldie but i love it

Social source share

Yep, I know what you mean, I wondered how far back to go, hence asking about Rare Pleasure. I think I first heard Mel Britt played in a modern room and

a Terry Jones Village Soul set can comprise of anything from any era which confused me rather at first as most people think of Village Soul as a modern thing.

I've chatted with people on the modern scene who have a similar view but in reverse... can't abide the gritty sixties sound / RnB because it's too different to modern.

Jayne.x

I love the Rare Pleasure record but I remember it from when it came out and it was classed as 'disco'!

Social source share

FUN !..........FUN !...........this is Soul music, if i wanted to have fun i'd book a "Punch & Judy " show.....................whistling.gif

Miserable b45t4rdtongue.gif Kinda know what you mean though Brett.

As for top 3's could never really do one as there's so much out there really it would change constantly & I'd get bored of it all if it didn't.

Noticed Webby had King Tutt as his number 1 & have to say that if I was cornered & had to pick my favourite record that would be it.

Was a groundbreaking record for me as the first time I heard it I just knew I had to have it & it was probably the single record that moved me in the direction I followed musically.

Still sounds as fresh today as it did 30 years ago but Modern? Then yes but now - Hmmm.

If you want to know what new releases I'm loving at the moment they are the new Will Downing album - Classique. Just so so smooth & Soulful vocally you just fall into it. Have a preview here. https://www.amazon.com/Classique-Will-Downing/dp/B0026IZR48

Also loving the new Down To The Bone album - Future Boogie. A few clips on this link. https://www.myspace.com/downtotheb

Soulful House wise IMO the best current release is Promised Land - The Collective feat Peyton, same again, follow the link https://www.traxsource.com/index.php?act=show&fc=tpage&cr=titles&cv=32968

Social source share

Guest Brett F

Miserable b45t4rd:tongue: Kinda know what you mean though Brett.

As for top 3's could never really do one as there's so much out there really it would change constantly & I'd get bored of it all if it didn't.

Noticed Webby had King Tutt as his number 1 & have to say that if I was cornered & had to pick my favourite record that would be it.

Was a groundbreaking record for me as the first time I heard it I just knew I had to have it & it was probably the single record that moved me in the direction I followed musically.

Still sounds as fresh today as it did 30 years ago but Modern? Then yes but now - Hmmm.

If you want to know what new releases I'm loving at the moment they are the new Will Downing album - Classique. Just so so smooth & Soulful vocally you just fall into it. Have a preview here. https://www.amazon.co...g/dp/B0026IZR48

Also loving the new Down To The Bone album - Future Boogie. A few clips on this link. https://www.myspace.com/downtotheb

Soulful House wise IMO the best current release is Promised Land - The Collective feat Peyton, same again, follow the link https://www.traxsourc...titles&cv=32968

Martin, the thing is these threads usually come from a "Northern" perspective and always associate "Modern "with records that are over 30 years old.............................

and i'm not being miserable but i've been on this forum for more years than my avatar claims (was i banned at one time?, only to rise from being called Brett to Brett F..:laugh: ) and all i seem to read is the same old same.................

No disrespect to the Dublin chap/lady (i don't know? i always use my real name) but most topics have been covered time and time again.........But i enjoy your enthusiasm for seeming to want to create a new post every.........13 minutes:wink:

Brett.later known as Brett F

Social source share

Martin, the thing is these threads usually come from a "Northern" perspective and always associate "Modern "with records that are over 30 years old.............................

and i'm not being miserable but i've been on this forum for more years than my avatar claims (was i banned at one time?, only to rise from being called Brett to Brett F..:laugh: ) and all i seem to read is the same old same.................

No disrespect to the Dublin chap/lady (i don't know? i always use my real name) but most topics have been covered time and time again.........But i enjoy your enthusiasm for seeming to want to create a new post every.........13 minutes:wink:

Makes you wonder if the 'Modern' & 'Northern' tags should be laid to rest.

Just call it 60's 70's etc.

Might cause us a problem though running a night called 'Modernism':laugh:

Banned? Moderators on here can be ruthless at times:tongue:

Guessing you've backed Sri Lanka in the 20/20 cricket?

Should all be over in about err ..........12 minuteswhistling:laugh:

Social source share

Guest Brett F

No Martin i had Dilshan as Sri Lanka's top batsman..... that lasted about as long as it took me to settle down and open my first beer...........and yeah i'm a little moody.......wanna make something of it.......:laugh:

Social source share

My 3 favourite 'Oldies' are :

Herby Brown - One More Broken Heart - 1980

Timeless Legend - I Was Born To Love You - 1980

Troy Johnson - I Want You - 1976

all great old/modern , modern/oldies or whatever the description is! :emoticons::emoticons::emoticons:

Bloody hell Russ don't you start as well - Moddun oldies???

:laugh: .Top reply, didn't we call them ."NEWIES" back in the early 80's

Don't Brett. We'll have Goateechin Murray joining in if he see's that:boxing::laugh:

Why's my text shrunk???

Dam this new 'Modern' upgrade:laugh:

Social source share

3. miss louistine (can't remember the title but i love the track)

2. Underground Ministries feat Kenny Bobien - I Shall Not Be Moved

1. Drizabone - Pressure hey it's an oldie but i love it

Davie

Is it"I don't want to love nobody but you" on NWE?

Great Tune this been a big fan of it for Donkeys posted on Refosoul a while back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWJwPKlpp30

gary

Social source share

It's a NORTHERN soul website isn't it?, what do you expect, you're not on EMS here y'know Brett! :tongue:

I too have been on here longer than my avatar claims (BurySoul being a previous shared logon) and agree topics have been done and done again but remember that people who contribute change (apart of us obviously! LOL) so the answers reflect the current and sometimes changing opinions on the scene. I've had a fun couple of hours looking up some of the songs named on this thread today that I didn't know(or thought I didn't until I heard them) and I've found loads of tracks previously unknown to me through threads like this.

It was disappointing that there wasn't much of what I call modern in the named tracks but some very nice 70s that I hadn't heard previously.

Jayne.x:smile:

Social source share

Brett F

point of order young mr franklin

that would be myself and epic

i put that on the orwell cd

right the number 11 is on its way carry on.............

Social source share

Guest Brett F

It's a NORTHERN soul website isn't it?, what do you expect, you're not on EMS here y'know Brett! :tongue:

I too have been on here longer than my avatar claims (BurySoul being a previous shared logon) and agree topics have been done and done again but remember that people who contribute change (apart of us obviously! LOL) so the answers reflect the current and sometimes changing opinions on the scene. I've had a fun couple of hours looking up some of the songs named on this thread today that I didn't know(or thought I didn't until I heard them) and I've found loads of tracks previously unknown to me through threads like this.

It was disappointing that there wasn't much of what I call modern in the named tracks but some very nice 70s that I hadn't heard previously.

Jayne.x:smile:

Hi Jayne, i'm just being a little mischievous, but on a point of order i believe this is a "Soul" forum, if it was a "Northern Soul " only forum i wouldn't be here:tongue: ..Have fun people .

Social source share

lt's Bradford,it's 1991,l' m a lot younger than l am now,it's red hot,just paid £20 for a Phase4....and worth ever penny together

with the (tortilla) wraps that l'd already had,l was melting in the heat cos there is no ventilation,then Barry drops'Optimystic'....Excuse me Ladies And Gentleman it's time for a dance..... :thumbup:

Phil, you were never off that Bradford dancefloor :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest biggray1

Dennis Lee & and the Notables..Sunday Afternoon...Jenmark

Reggie Garner..Angel..BobG

Brenda Jones...Big Mistake..Mercury.

Social source share

garfield fleming-dont send me away

lisa hill-i,m on the real side

main ingredient-evening of love

or

al hudson-when your gone

al hudson-spread love

john valenti-why dont we fall in love (not really soul !!)

or

al green-keep on pushing love

daybreak-i need love

gina foster-love is a house

or

bobby king-fall in love

rufus-do you love what you feel

magic disco machine-control tower (one for the purists !!)

Social source share

And you were never off your head :thumbup: x

Err...now I recall things a lot differently...like the time you were ankle deep in water on the dancefloor (funnily enough) with no socks and shoes on and the time you had to be carried out of the place cos you took a funny turn (can't for the life of me think why)...and if I was ever in a mess (which I wasn't) then it would most definitey have been all your fault :thumbsup:

Social source share

Hi Jayne, i'm just being a little mischievous, but on a point of order i believe this is a "Soul" forum, if it was a "Northern Soul " only forum i wouldn't be here:tongue: ..Have fun people .

lol..I know you are.. :rolleyes: and yes you are right, it's a 'Soul forum.. hence me leaving a question mark because I knew you'd say that.. :D

come on Brett, I've run out of tunes to look up now, you should join in and give me 3 modern tunes that you rate while you're not giving us a top 3, that'll keep me out of trouble for a short while anyway.

Jayne.x

Social source share

Guest topcatnumpty1

Surely modern soul indicates the last couple of years not stuff played at Queens Hall downstaairs in 1989 (good as it was ) so i .d have to go with

Brenda Boykin---Love,s in Town

and varios others

Best

Tony C.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert