Soul Records You Just Don't 'get'

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Guest TONY ROUNCE

This post should be closed down now.. Its putting Webby out of business

I'm sure that the prolific Mr. Webb has a million of 'em in the pipeline,, Stevie. I'd guess you can expect to see "Best Kenny Lynch Lookalike On The Scene" coming up any day now, mate...

...hope all's well in your neck of the woods. :thumbsup:

Social source share

• Replies 80
  • Views 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Mrs Simsy

Time to get told how wrong I am...

"The Pyramid."

I'm sorry... am I supposed to be able to dance to this pile of dross?

I don't like it either! :thumbsup: Reminds me of the song 'Shaft'! Just imo of course! :lol:

Social source share

Don't give him anymore ideas, i am sure he is on for the Pete Smith posting record after just a few months..

Records you just don't get or leave you cold of are just right for a fag break..

7 day fool

Johnny Howard .. The fooking chase is on

And that song with the monkey's chattering in it'''

That will do for now..

Social source share

Guest Mrs Simsy

Something thats leaves you feeling cold..

Singing the Drifter at the end of the Rugby all niter while watching Kylee, her face is like a slapped arse for that one :thumbsup::lol:

xx

:lol:

Now there is a record i just don't get. :D I'll be in trouble for saying that... :shhh::lol:

Social source share

...Can't quite agree with you on the "in its entirety" bit, but certainly a classic case of the "two or three great songs" (all of which came out on singles anyway) "and a lot of padding". Not something that can be said about some of the Marvin albums that preceded it.

Marvin Gaye was only truly great when he was produced by others - hardly a bad record before 1971, hardly a good one thereafter...

Mediocre! Had to laugh. I think you're missing the whole point of the LP. It was never meant to be a mixture of disparate songs, but a collective denunciation of the evils of the world, and as such needs to be listened to as a collection. Saying you can get some of the songs on 45s is like saying you can buy the good scenes of a classic movie on DVD. Apart they are good, brought together, they make a work of genius. I'd also say his follow up LP "Let's get it on" is also superb. So while I agree that he made some great records in the 6ts, his early 7ts output was better IMVHO.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Mediocre! Had to laugh. I think you're missing the whole point of the LP. It was never meant to be a mixture of disparate songs, but a collective denunciation of the evils of the world, and as such needs to be listened to as a collection. Saying you can get some of the songs on 45s is like saying you can buy the good scenes of a classic movie on DVD. Apart they are good, brought together, they make a work of genius. I'd also say his follow up LP "Let's get it on" is also superb. So while I agree that he made some great records in the 6ts, his early 7ts output was better IMVHO.

I assure you that I am not missing the point - I've felt like this since I first bought the album on import, the week it came out. "Right On" is an exercise in filling up vinyl, "Flying High In The Friendly Sky" - I don't think so, thanks, "Save The Children" - nice sentiment, dull song. I can see exactly why Berry Gordy refused to release the album at first.

"Let's Get It On" offers even more in the way of mediocrity - the a side is a complete waste of vinyl, although the other side offers three of Marvin's best ever songs, of course.

Anyway, this is meant to be a thread about "records you don't get". If I "don't get" this one, that's my prerogative. No amount of telling me what I'm missing is going to make me change my mind, if I haven't changed it in the 40 years since I first bought it, is it?

Social source share

The Snake has to be the biggest load of garbage ever.

I've heard worse records.

Going back to the thread title -soul records you just dont get (soul being the key word)- - Paul Anka's 'when we get there' is a prime example of an appalling tune, as is Bobby Paris' 'I walked away' .

Al Wilson had SOUL.yes.gif

Edited by soul-dancers
Social source share

I've heard worse records.

Going back to the thread title -soul records you just dont get (soul being the key word)- - Paul Anka's 'when we get there' is a prime example of an appalling tune, as is Bobby Paris' 'I walked away' .

Al Wilson had SOUL.yes.gif

I love Help Me , superb record i just think the snake is sh--------------e

Social source share

I'm supposed to 'like' 7ts..... But i can't be doing with.....

Jan Jones - Independent Woman........ AAAAGHHH - twee twee twee

Bessie Banks - Don't You Worry Baby....... (i tried to like it :lol: - even bought it twice, but it had to go. And go now - bu-bum)

Futures - Party Time Man.........Agony. Leave it out Cyril

Agree with Mr H on Tyrone St Germain and a couple of others on his room of doom list..... but Love Stormy Weather?..... Mr H get those lugs washed out! :)

Social source share

Agree with Mr H on Tyrone St Germain and a couple of others on his room of doom list..... but Love Stormy Weather?..... Mr H get those lugs washed out! :lol:

Think you need to listen again, Steve.

Its a massively overrated, pile of poo.

I never 'got' what all the fuss and hype was about when it was played, first time out, down at Yarmouth.

And I'm sure I never will.

There are thousands of better tracks on four quid albums.

Yet this tragic example of rarity over quality gets the exposure and exaltation.

One of the vocalists is good!

The other is piss poor and flat as a Fart.

I would have pulled the flat fecker out of the studio and let the guy with the tonsils do it solo!

But even then, the song is just as pappy and pissy as they come.

It's Loves Stormy Ballocks mate! :wicked:

...IMO

Hope you're both well.

:yes:

Sean

Social source share

Rita and the Tiaras, i find it to be totally cringeworthy, yet it continues to be as popular as in the late 70's.

Barbara McNeir..Youre gonna etc... i think its tuinal in musical form a dirge...but again its loved by loads

Cody Black...i'm afraid title says it all,slow and mouldy, Pep had 'em stuck on the wall as decoration, as they were at the time not sale'able, it aint ever gonna be a 100th as good as "going going gone"

Time for me to get going, going gone, but these comments are my personal views so don't get upset if i've dissed your faves, but thats how they sound to me

Night

Social source share

Wade Flemons "Janette" yeah, you can dance to it, but it doesn't seem to go anywhere to my ears

Spot on mate, i remember when the other place was played, people would come up and say "i found a record by him in a junk shop, took it home on spec, when i played it, it was a shite rock 'n' roll record, fucked it straight in the bin"

And thats where it should have stayed

Cack of the stickiest form

Dean Barlow, remember first hearing it, i am still speechless, pity Dean wasn't

Social source share

Good to see Barbnara McNair being suggested for the dirge that it really is.......never quite got the lyrics either :yes: An over-rated piece of Tamla Toytown if ever there was!

Love Stormy Weather? Well Mr Hampsey wash your mouth out Sir. Thought this would have been right 'up yer street' especially as it was broken by a young Sir Rodney of Dearglove as I recall.

Party Time Man - awful awful awful. Get it off - "Hang the DJ" etc.

Judy Street "What" - I know it's pop, but never got why it was so popular - the biggest seller on Grapevine etc.

"Band of Gold" Freda Payne - crushingly tiresome - quite happy never to hear this record ever again.

Social source share

J.J Barnes - Our love is in the pocket - Keep it there JJ, mindless monotonal shouting crap!

James Fountain - 7 Day Lover - 7 Day Pooper.

Saxie Russell - Psychedelic Soul - Wake me when it's over.

Stanley Mitchell - Get it baby - That's just it, I don't Stan, I really don't..

Social source share

Love Stormy Weather? Well Mr Hampsey wash your mouth out Sir. Thought this would have been right 'up yer street' especially as it was broken by a young Sir Rodney of Dearglove as I recall.

Rod broke some great records Steve.

This wasn't one of em! :yes:

Its a dismal, out of tune, Poo Fest!

:wicked:

Sean

Social source share

:wicked::lol::lol:

And its not in the same league as 'Band Of Gold'.

Really interesting thread this.

Amazing what some folk just don't 'get'.

Rather than a 'slag off' its more about how a record fits with your own expectations - and how you see others waxing lyrical about a tune, but just can't see it yourself.

Brilliant Mr Rounce.

:yes:

Sean

Social source share

Well said!

Social source share

Good to see Barbnara McNair being suggested for the dirge that it really is.......never quite got the lyrics either :yes: An over-rated piece of Tamla Toytown if ever there was!

Party Time Man - awful awful awful. Get it off - "Hang the DJ" etc.

Judy Street "What" - I know it's pop, but never got why it was so popular - the biggest seller on Grapevine etc.

"Band of Gold" Freda Payne - crushingly tiresome - quite happy never to hear this record ever again.

Hey Steve , have you changed your mind about Joe Jama now that you have purchased a copy ? lol

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

More to the point Simon, are you on the bill at Sleaford in September?

Here's another one Little Anthony & The Imperials "Gona fix you good" and "Better use your head" - they're fast, but the vocals sound awful - never could get to grips with them.....give me a "Seven day foollover" anyday.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Well said!

...except he missed the point of the thread entirely. So it seems have you, Geoff. and several others too (but not everybody, I'm glad to say...)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert