Is "the Bottle" Northern Or Jazz Funk

Guest adidaschile62

GIL SCOTT HERON poet and social comentator of our time Great dance record whatever genre you put it in . If Northern Soul is 'deep soul with a beat' then The Bottle's gotta be a protest song with a beat.

Best version gotta be the live ARISTA lp but....... Home is Where the Hatred is kicks it into touch IMHO

Been away from the scene for quite a while but did any of his later stuff 80's Gun etc get plays ?

Social source share

• Replies 53
  • Views 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Don't care which genre it is but one thing l do know is that it is kin brill!!

and in my Top 10 of all time!!

Well said Webby. Can't understand all the negative things said on this thread as just about everyone would have quite happy to dance to it in the 70's. So WHY has it taken over 30 years to decide it ain't northern. No-one ever said it was in 74, we all just bloody loved shuffling to it. Anyone remember dancing to it downstairs at the Notts Palais alldayers. Anyway who really gives a toss what genre it fits into, it's 2009 and we should all just know better. ANORAKS anyone !!!! I'm half expecting to get bitten... OUCH !!!!!! Tony T BONE. OZ.

Social source share

Guest mel brat

I suspect the real reason some folk slag off "The Bottle" as not "proper Northern" is because their OWN limited ability to react to different rhythms make it difficult for them to dance to! - Though you could have said the same for the equally tricky I'm So Glad" by Fuzz in 1973!

Tough on them, and time to learn some new moves - at long last! :tongue:

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert