This week's Manship results perlease

• Replies 49
  • Views 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I'm not sure how we get them now as when the item is sold all details are removed - even if you are logged in.

I suppose you could note the last price on screen as it hits the minute mark and if it drops out as sold then guess that that was the price?

I was only really watching one though and when it went above my budget didn't take much notice after that.

From memory just a couple - Mary Love on UK King hit 495 - bloody hell all I need is a cover for mine! Sam Dees was about 394 Velvet Satins 298 oh and the Jackey Beavers was over 2400 I think - don't quote me though on any of these!

As with most auctions you would get a sale price or withdrawn list but I guess as Johns is weekly it would be too much hassle to keep up to date.

Anyone else devised another way to get the end prices?

Social source share

I'm not sure how we get them now as when the item is sold all details are removed - even if you are logged in.

I suppose you could note the last price on screen as it hits the minute mark and if it drops out as sold then guess that that was the price?

I was only really watching one though and when it went above my budget didn't take much notice after that.

From memory just a couple - Mary Love on UK King hit 495 - bloody hell all I need is a cover for mine! Sam Dees was about 394 Velvet Satins 298 oh and the Jackey Beavers was over 2400 I think - don't quote me though on any of these!

As with most auctions you would get a sale price or withdrawn list but I guess as Johns is weekly it would be too much hassle to keep up to date.

Anyone else devised another way to get the end prices?

boxing.gif HERES A ORIGANAL KING SLEEVE MAKE A REPRO KINGO?ph34r.gif DAVE KIL

post-13241-12453505816969_thumb.jpg

Social source share

I'd love to know what the prices were from the last two weeks. I think John's missing a trick here on his auctions as the debate on prices always kept his auctions relevant for days afterwards. All a part of the folklore of Northern soul. Come on John, give us something to moan about every Wednesday night or we'll forget to tune in :thumbsup:

Social source share

I'd love to know what the prices were from the last two weeks. I think John's missing a trick here on his auctions as the debate on prices always kept his auctions relevant for days afterwards. All a part of the folklore of Northern soul. Come on John, give us something to moan about every Wednesday night or we'll forget to tune in :laugh:

I tend to agree with you Boogaloo. The best publicity you can ever get is word of mouth - if people have the conviction to discuss something you tend to listen to 'em. It wasn't that long ago that the Lee Fields going for £750 on John's auction prompted a 7 page thread LOL. Yet now look at JM's Auction End Prices thread - it's gone from a huge vibrant river to a small insignificant trickle in a mere 3 weeks!

However, I think John sees this a proprietary information and is probably trying for figure out the best way of disseminating it in the future, which is absolutely his right of course. But trying to get John's head around publicity or PR is like trying to get a Salvadores for £100 LOL. whistling

Plus he's a record dealer, so naturally he wants to sell stuff. :laugh:

My guess is that John will study the effects of leaving the auction prices private and then weigh up how he'll make 'em available again in the future. With the new website I guess he's simply studying all the available options as any intelligent, publicity-shy record dealer will do.

I had a few interesting chats with John and I think it's fair to say that we're philosphically at odds on certain aspects of the value of PR/publicity, so I'm interested in seeing whether the end prices will reappear at any time and in what form.

But that apart, his business model seems pretty sound and he probably has the most accurate information in the world on Rare record sales and prices so I don't blame him being careful.

Dammit. That's it isn't it? I just figured it out!

How about a John Manship's Top 200 Auctions Book with scans, background info, bid history and closing prices? The holy grail of auction books! He has all the info and scans already stored so he could probably knock it out in his lunch hour........?

I'd buy it for sure and I bet every record hound in the world would too?

C'mon John, put us out of our misery and let the vinyl junkies have their info-fix! :laugh:

Ian D :D

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

I tend to agree with you Boogaloo. The best publicity you can ever get is word of mouth - if people have the conviction to discuss something you tend to listen to 'em. It wasn't that long ago that the Lee Fields going for £750 on John's auction prompted a 7 page thread LOL. Yet now look at JM's Auction End Prices thread - it's gone from a huge vibrant river to a small insignificant trickle in a mere 3 weeks!

However, I think John sees this a proprietary information and is probably trying for figure out the best way of disseminating it in the future, which is absolutely his right of course. But trying to get John's head around publicity or PR is like trying to get a Salvadores for £100 LOL. whistling

Plus he's a record dealer, so naturally he wants to sell stuff. :laugh:

My guess is that John will study the effects of leaving the auction prices private and then weigh up how he'll make 'em available again in the future. With the new website I guess he's simply studying all the available options as any intelligent, publicity-shy record dealer will do.

I had a few interesting chats with John and I think it's fair to say that we're philosphically at odds on certain aspects of the value of PR/publicity, so I'm interested in seeing whether the end prices will reappear at any time and in what form.

But that apart, his business model seems pretty sound and he probably has the most accurate information in the world on Rare record sales and prices so I don't blame him being careful.

Dammit. That's it isn't it? I just figured it out!

How about a John Manship's Top 200 Auctions Book with scans, background info, bid history and closing prices? The holy grail of auction books! He has all the info and scans already stored so he could probably knock it out in his lunch hour........?

I'd buy it for sure and I bet every record hound in the world would too?

C'mon John, put us out of our misery and let the vinyl junkies have their info-fix! :laugh:

Not wanting people to know how much a certain record goes for and publishing a guide book about prices :chinstroke:

I used to love reading how much things went for ,now i don't even look to see what's on his auctions:no::sad:

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

I saw the Satisfactions at £318 which to me is an absolute joke - its not that rare - usually is a round the £80 to £100 mark for either issue or demo so over £300 is sheer madness IMO

Satisactions £358

William Cummins - £1,000

as for the rest i dont know

Social source share

Guest kid mohair

I saw the Satisfactions at £318 which to me is an absolute joke - its not that rare - usually is a round the £80 to £100 mark for either issue or demo so over £300 is sheer madness IMO

must admit was amazed at this, i would of thought £120 max, i have one for £200 anyone interested.whistling:D

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

Damn. I used to have that. Bought it off Steve Caesar who got it off Stuart Cosgrove when Stuart was in Washington. Wish I'd kept it.........

Ian D biggrin.gif

Sometimes your better of not knowing about record prices Ian :thumbup:

Steve J

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Damn. I used to have that. Bought it off Steve Caesar who got it off Stuart Cosgrove when Stuart was in Washington. Wish I'd kept it.........

Ian D biggrin.gif

brilliant tune and i was easily outbid rolleyes.gif

Social source share

Sometimes your better of not knowing about record prices Ian biggrin.gif

Steve J

People have been saying that to me since the late 70's!

It's a form of self-torture LOL. Like becoming addicted to self-flagellation. I'd wait for John's auction results every week and then castigate myself for not keeping certain records. This in turn would throw me into a deep depression, so maybe a good thing we don't know the results after all........

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

You were never meant to see the end prices, he wasn't pleased when I first told him about it. I think he said last time he was on here, it would be available with all the other info, on a pay to veiw, x amount a year. shades.gif

Yep, I remember. Out of curiosity, do many auctions publish their end prices or is up to the discretion of the auctioneer or buyer? We always hear about the prices which famous works of art go for which in turn supplies news covereage and media interest, so is it a good thing or not? Presumably most people on here will subscribe to John's website so maybe he's not too bothered about letting the info out.....?

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

Yep, I remember. Out of curiosity, do many auctions publish their end prices or is up to the discretion of the auctioneer or buyer? We always hear about the prices which famous works of art go for which in turn supplies news covereage and media interest, so is it a good thing or not? Presumably most people on here will subscribe to John's website so maybe he's not too bothered about letting the info out.....?

Ian D biggrin.gif

Ebay publish end prices, most auction houses also show achieved prices against catalogue numbers on their web sites after the event (or will provide you with lists) Have a look at Christie's or Sotheby's. They do this so that people can see that they achieve good prices and so place their items with them. It is good publicity.

I thought the attraction of JM's auctions to sellers was the high prices he achieves, and also the relative transparency of his auctions when compared to others whistling.gif . So if nobody knows the end prices nobody will know what price the records are making, after a while it will become hearsay that he achieves good prices.

Quite often a record price is altered significantly after one of his auctions (Satisfactions?) but if this info isn't in the public domain it won't have that effect.

So a good thing for a buyer like me thumbup.gif John Manship - keeping record prices lower ! laugh.gif Keep those prices private!

Anyway, I won't be subscribing, particularly not just find out what some people are paying for other people's records. Maybe we could club together for a soul-source subscription and then just publish stuff on here anyway?

Cheers

Paul

Social source share

My opinion is its a good idea to publish the results as it will encourage propective sellers to sell through Johns auction as they can see the prices he gets hence driving up revenue from that function.

However i see his point about adding a subscription service as his knowledge cant be bought up to now anyway.

I think hes working on the assumption that some off his subscribers will make the results public once the service is up and running therefore getting the auction publicity and increasing revenue through the subscription.

Cant really see a flaw in the thinking from the business point of view but maybe until that service is running he could of allowed us to continue viewing and commenting on the weekly results, however maybe that was difficult to continue in the new site build.

Cheers Darren

www.raresoul45s.co.uk

Social source share

As previously mentioned, the reason people auction records with John is because it's evident the high prices he achieves. If nobody can see the high prices... where's the incentive to sell with him?

I'm not so sure I'd be rushing to sell through a JM auction now, but then again... I don't have any Soul Bowl packs from 25 years ago. :ohmy:

Social source share

Here you have this weeks results

William Cummings 1000 UKP

Connie Laverine 596 UKP

Ralph Graham 909 UKP

Satisfactions 319 UKP

Jimmy Anthony 240 UKP

Guy Allen 174 UKP

Masqueraders 469 UKP

Continental Showstoppers 196 UKP

Marvels 78 UKP

Lou Pride 952 UKP

Ruth Christie 150 UKP

Helen Shapiro 219 UKP

Emanuel Laskey 100 UKP

Bobby Shannon 500 UKP

Kim Weston 137 UKP

DeeDee Sharp LP 80 UKP

Social source share

...don`t know if we had last weeks results as I wasn´t and still am not that frequently online ... in case not:

Agents 461 UKP

Sebastian Williams 431 UKP

Rodd Keith 151 UKP

Jackey Beavers 2284 UKP

Tommy McGee 148 UKP

Belita Woods 181 UKP

Supremes/Ray Charles Coke 230 UKP

Bill Brandon 209 UKP

Mary Love 521 UKP

Sam Butler 227 UKP

Billy Butler 104 UKP

Betty Lloyd 275 UKP

Velvet Satins 258 UKP

Sam Dees 489 UKP

Barrett Strong 131 UKP

Bobbi Lynn 50 UKP

Edited by Marc Forrest
Social source share

Connie Laverine 596 UKP

Ralph Graham 909 UKP

Satisfactions 319 UKP

Jimmy Anthony 240 UKP

Guy Allen 174 UKP

Masqueraders 469 UKP

Marvels 78 UKP

Lou Pride 952 UKP

Ruth Christie 150 UKP

Helen Shapiro 219 UKP

Emanuel Laskey 100 UKP

Bobby Shannon 500 UKP

Kim Weston 137 UKP

DeeDee Sharp LP 80 UKP

PHEW! Normal service has been resumed at last... ah, I remember getting that Lou Pride single in a Soul Bowl pack back in the old days. It was all fields round here, you know... :lol:

Social source share

Connie Laverine 596 UKP

Ralph Graham 909 UKP

Satisfactions 319 UKP

Jimmy Anthony 240 UKP

Guy Allen 174 UKP

Masqueraders 469 UKP

Marvels 78 UKP

Lou Pride 952 UKP

Ruth Christie 150 UKP

Helen Shapiro 219 UKP

Emanuel Laskey 100 UKP

Bobby Shannon 500 UKP

Kim Weston 137 UKP

DeeDee Sharp LP 80 UKP

Wow. Great service Mark. Well done. Did you manage to find a method of doing this that's somehow eluded everyone else out of curiosity?

Social source share

Guest carl_p

7-1 results

Delphonics I Don't Care What People Say C/w Don't Throw It All Away £ 222.00

Tabby Thomas "popeye Train" £ 170.00

Johnny Watson I Say, I Love £ 109.00

Lee Fields & The Spontaneous Generation Take Me Back C/w Tyra's Song £ 333.00

Bobby Treetop Wait Till I Get To Know Ya £ 183.00

Ernie & Ed Indication £ 197.00

Carol Dionne I Need You 124.00

Moments You Said C/w Hey Boy £ 484.00

Allen Harris And Perpetual Motion Get Ready £ 118.00

Lenny Curtis Nothing Can Help You Now C/w Who You Gonna Run To £ 656.00

Frankie And The Damons Bad Woman C/w My Best Friend £ 375.00

James Walsh Gypsy Band Cuz It's You Girl £ 86.00

Miracles Featuring Bill Smokey Robinson Shop Around £ 44.00

Temptations It's Growing £ 113.00

Tribe Dancing To The Beat Of My Heart £ 49.00

Vondells Hey Girl You've Changed £ 1,346.00

Social source share

Guest carl_p

Does anyone else think that since the site upgrade the auction prices seem more in-line with real-world prices?

Is it the credit crunch?

it's also middle of summer. i always found prices down in june and july.

Social source share

Can't believe the prices people pay for that Jayboy rubbish. I couldn't sell an unplayed one for £75 last year. Must be the wrong strategy, if I'd have put £150 on it then it might have gone.

Who wants to give me £500 for my Ray merrell?

Social source share

Can't believe the prices people pay for that Jayboy rubbish. I couldn't sell an unplayed one for £75 last year. Must be the wrong strategy, if I'd have put £150 on it then it might have gone.

Who wants to give me £500 for my Ray merrell?

I bet John could get £500 for Ray Merrell. The power of his mailing list must be huge. I see Lee Fields has halved in price!

Social source share

If it halved again ,it'd be too much:yes:

Big demand on it though Nev I stuck one on the site a couple of weeks back at around £300 and it sold within 48hrs and I had half a dozon enquiries after that about it.

I see theres one in the sales section at the moment at £500 a little optomistic in my book, but again its supply and demand as we all know.

ATB Darren

www.raresou45s.co.uk

Social source share

Was that the four track EP - "Things Go Better With Coke"?

If so I picked one up on the market in Oslo of 30Kr. (Which is about £3.00)

The two track orange covered one outta Italy or is it Spanish - haven't got it to hand. Those two tracks are also on a 4 track EP with Dave Dee, B,M and T and one other artist...think that one is Spanish or French or Italian as well...sorry quite late over here and apathy has set in!

:lol:

Social source share

Big demand on it though Nev I stuck one on the site a couple of weeks back at around £300 and it sold within 48hrs and I had half a dozon enquiries after that about it.

I see theres one in the sales section at the moment at £500 a little optomistic in my book, but again its supply and demand as we all know.

ATB Darren

www.raresou45s.co.uk

£300 is stupidity in my book.....always one for sale somewhere. Its gone from a £30/£40 price tag to ridiculous amounts purely on the back of it being played by a couple of top dj's. The price certainly nothing to do with rarity.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert