Fear Of The Mainstream

Guest joeythelips

Guest joeythelips

Can someone explain why some people here in the NS scene do not want the wider public to discover this

amazing music?

Why is it a bad thing to put out a compilation of Northern Soul tunes?

Social source share

• Replies 52
  • Views 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Can someone explain why some people here in the NS scene do not want the wider public to discover this

amazing music?

It's not. Scenes whither and die unless they're constantly evolving and appealing to new audiences. Personally I think the more younger people and fresh enthusiasts the Northern Soul scene gets then the better in many ways. I think that there is a healthy interest in Northern Soul from younger people but they don't necessarily want to be embroiled in the politics of the scene or be constantly around people who are 30 years older than them (would you when you were 20?).

Nothing would be worse for the scene than it diminishing to a room above a pub where a few old blokes talk about records for hours and deride any younger people for their lack of knowledge. The Northern Soul scene was built on energetic dancing and you mostly get that from young enthusiastic dancers who have the necessary energy to sustain the dancefloor. So bring 'em on. They should be welcomed with open arms IMO.......

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

amazing music?

There is obviously nothing inherently wrong in putting out a Northern Soul compilation, but the quality of it will determine whether is is a useful introduction or an offputting hodge-podge.

As to the 'keep it secret' club: on the negative side, there are the self-deluding, insecure snobs - the teary-eyed keepers of the faith you get in every subculture - who have no other way of differentiating themselves from Joe and Joanne Bloggs and have nothing more than an emotional need for the 'exclusivity'. Hopefully, these are a minority.

Then there are people who have genuine concerns that mainstream absorption will dilute and pollute the music and scene with the lowest-comon-denominator values that follow.

Personally, I don't see why that should be a major worry - cultures wax and wane, and they will survive a temporary faddishness if they have any worth, and the newcomers who stay after it is no longer the in thing will be genuine. 

Social source share

Guest joeythelips

I agree with these comments. I'd like to hear from a nay sayer and put their reasons across as to why it should remain undergound.

Is that what the songwriters would have wanted for their music?

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

i think if northern were to go mainstream it would lose a lot of elitism and mystique and whether people like to admit but being a part of something underground is cool , the feeling that you go to an allnighter when most people are going to bed , that you are listening to songs that 99% of the population have never heard before ...if that were to be removed then for some people northern would lose a lot of it's "shine"

Social source share

..."Do I want the wider public to discover this amazing musicÂ?

It¢Å¾¢s not been much of a secret since Footsee on Top of the Pops

The music is easily available at any CD store now days and many MP3 players have a slice of Northern on it.

I for one have seen the trendy bendies come and go with as much love and connection towards our music as a spoilt kid at Christmas with a puppy.

I have seen the beer on the dance floor and the ..."did you call my pint a puff brigade and I have seen the tourists who visit just long enough to film yet another shallow or one sided TV documentary or photograph for a CD cover.

Social source share

Guest Beeks

I don't think the mainstream will ever be fully embraced just for the simple fact that the majority 'just don't get it'

They would much rather listen to Beyonce than Big Maybelle...go figure :ohmy:

Social source share

I don't think the mainstream will ever be fully embraced just for the simple fact that the majority 'just don't get it'

They would much rather listen to Beyonce than Big Maybelle...go figure unsure.gif

Well Big Maybelle never had Beyonce's marketing budgets or the 60's equivalent of Jay Z squiring her for a start.............tongue.gif

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

Guest Scarborosoul

i think if northern were to go mainstream it would lose a lot of elitism and mystique and whether people like to admit but being a part of something underground is cool , the feeling that you go to an allnighter when most people are going to bed , that you are listening to songs that 99% of the population have never heard before ...if that were to be removed then for some people northern would lose a lot of it's "shine"

Sorry davie butg yr talking out of yr rectum rumbumium! The elitism went when footsee took NS to the masses. The elitists now are the chin strokers and the I ams. NS never lost its shine when scene was engulfing the blue eyed side of the music with the likes of Kiki Dee, Mike Mcdonald, Bobby Goldsboro etc etc. Or even recently when certain so called soul voice AKA Jazzie B said the scene was racist FFS. Keep it in the mainstream I say, let the scene expand, let the younsters come in and make their own choices. Those on the scene who think it would lose its "SHINE" are small minded with little or no knowledge of the scene either past or present and most of all they are SELFISH for not wanting to pass on either our legacy or our love of NS

Rick

Social source share

Guest bazabod_downunder

This already happens doesn't it? Totally agree with Ian.....the appreciation for genre can only be perpetuated by an influx of a 'younger' audience, their lack of knowledge of the genre, the inability to 'dance the right way', their scant disregard for dance floor etiquite (drinks on dance floor etc.) is all something that we may have been guilty of at some point, they'll learn, some will pass through but some will 'get it' & embrace it like we did, then embark on a musical journey like no other.

KTF

Baz

It's not. Scenes whither and die unless they're constantly evolving and appealing to new audiences. Personally I think the more younger people and fresh enthusiasts the Northern Soul scene gets then the better in many ways. I think that there is a healthy interest in Northern Soul from younger people but they don't necessarily want to be embroiled in the politics of the scene or be constantly around people who are 30 years older than them (would you when you were 20?).

Nothing would be worse for the scene than it diminishing to a room above a pub where a few old blokes talk about records for hours and deride any younger people for their lack of knowledge. The Northern Soul scene was built on energetic dancing and you mostly get that from young enthusiastic dancers who have the necessary energy to sustain the dancefloor. So bring 'em on. They should be welcomed with open arms IMO.......

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

scarborosoul youve got it in one, lets the kids in. never mind keep the faith! how about keep it going.

The quote we use in S25 Soul Galore is "SPREAD THE FAITH DON'T KEEP IT" nuff said ohmy.gif

Social source share

They would much rather listen to Beyonce than Big Maybelle...go figure unsure.gif

I would rather listen to beyonce than big maybelle (and I'm not joking either).

Social source share

Thank god for some intelligent posts!

I was one of those young persons once, and thank god someone helped me along, and shared the music.

Not once did I ever feel unwelcome, so we should return that to new ones on the scene.

Psmile.gif

Edited by paup-ine
Social source share

Just think that we would all get jealous(As i did in the 70's) when a work-mate of mine in the lunch-queue started whistling

'Goodbye Nothing To Say'!!

Or even worse, when someone at work would ask what music I liked and I's say Northern Soul and they'd say, 'like that Wigan's Ovation that were on Top Of The Pops'............

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

I wish certain people within the scene would stop slaging off Wigan's Ovation!

As far as I can see their crime was to appear on TOTPS.

If there weren¢Å¾¢t bands like Wigan's Ovation then we wouldn¢Å¾¢t have had Edwin Starr or Jackie Wilson. We certainly would not have had the session¢Å¾¢s musicians such as Van McCoy.

Jim McClusky¢Å¾¢s career died the day the gutter press hounded him and the band after TOTPS, depriving the UK scene of a rare home grown soul talent.

Northern Soul Dancer stands on its own as one of the best forgotten soulful records ever!

Social source share

So am I alone in saying that the fact the the northern scene was and still is underground, was and still is one of the reasons we still go, wasnt it a fact that it wasnt what every one else did and still is, one of the attractions, as for elitism comments, well if you have rare records that other people want to hear, on its own is gonna stand you out from the others, same as the so called chin strokers, as they seem to have more knowledge abut the records ,artists, producers, etc gonna set them apart, I have just spent the weekend doing things that normal folk dont do, and glad I did, as for trying to attract new blood, well the fact that it is underground is more likly to attract youngsters, if thats what they want, but the point is they dont want to, they have got there own youth cultures, they dont want there parents,

Social source share

So am I alone in saying that the fact the the northern scene was and still is underground, was and still is one of the reasons we still go, wasnt it a fact that it wasnt what every one else did and still is, one of the attractions, as for elitism comments, well if you have rare records that other people want to hear, on its own is gonna stand you out from the others, same as the so called chin strokers, as they seem to have more knowledge abut the records ,artists, producers, etc gonna set them apart, I have just spent the weekend doing things that normal folk dont do, and glad I did, as for trying to attract new blood, well the fact that it is underground is more likly to attract youngsters, if thats what they want, but the point is they dont want to, they have got there own youth cultures, they dont want there parents,

Social source share

amazing music?

I think it's called ' LOOKING OUTSIDE THE SQUARE YOU LIVE IN '. Some folk just can't do it unfortunately for them. We welcome the younger crowd here in Perth and most of them say what we want them to say ' THIS IS REAL MUSIC ' Let's face it, all this duff duff shite will die a sad death whereas Northern WILL live on. So the wannabee singer that paid his or her 50 dollars to have a record cut 40 years ago and got nowhere can be assured that the likes of the modern day miming crappy money hungry artists will be long forgotten along with every other faker that think they can sing. Just my twopenneth worth. Tony T BONE. OZ. Spreading the FAITH down under.

Social source share

Guest ScooterNik

I think you're missing the point. Surely the question is "why SHOULD it be the preserve of those who are lucky enough to have grown up with the music? Why should it be the sole property of a certain clique who think they know all there is to know about soul music, and look down on us poor mortals who have but a scratching of knowledge"

What makes these people treat the northern soul scene as their own personal fiefdom, for them to make judgements on who is worthy of being accepted into the scene. Yes, beer gets spilled on the dance floor - have a quiet word with the culprits and ask them to be a little more thoughtful, don't castigate them for it. FFS it will mop up if you're that concerned. Yes, we don't all know the difference between the different pressings of any particular record... so what? I'll bet at 18 you didn't either and had to learn the hard way, the same as people have to learn now, largely I will accept down to the floor work put in by previous generations of soulies.

Its not a crime to be young, its a part of growing up.

As for compilations - you can't please everybody all the time, my perfect compilation isn't out there, and I suspect that if it was then many of the 'die hard soul police' would piss themselves laughing at my selections.

Guess what? I don't care. My depth of knowledge may not be as extensive as many, but I know what I like, and if you don't like it... well, I can't really say I care too much about that.

"Get over yourself" in short.

Nik

Social source share

I think you're missing the point. Surely the question is "why SHOULD it be the preserve of those who are lucky enough to have grown up with the music? Why should it be the sole property of a certain clique who think they know all there is to know about soul music, and look down on us poor mortals who have but a scratching of knowledge"

What makes these people treat the northern soul scene as their own personal fiefdom, for them to make judgements on who is worthy of being accepted into the scene. Yes, beer gets spilled on the dance floor - have a quiet word with the culprits and ask them to be a little more thoughtful, don't castigate them for it. FFS it will mop up if you're that concerned. Yes, we don't all know the difference between the different pressings of any particular record... so what? I'll bet at 18 you didn't either and had to learn the hard way, the same as people have to learn now, largely I will accept down to the floor work put in by previous generations of soulies.

Its not a crime to be young, its a part of growing up.

As for compilations - you can't please everybody all the time, my perfect compilation isn't out there, and I suspect that if it was then many of the 'die hard soul police' would piss themselves laughing at my selections.

Guess what? I don't care. My depth of knowledge may not be as extensive as many, but I know what I like, and if you don't like it... well, I can't really say I care too much about that.

"Get over yourself" in short.

No your missing the point, where did I say all that, the question is weather the music should be underground or mainstream, I think some people are maybe a little jealous of the the folk that know or who have been around for years its not there fault and its not anybodys fault if they havent, why do we need the soul scecne to be just another mainstream music scene as the jass scene or do you want it going the way of rock n roll and even have a class of come dancing called soul as in disco or rock n roll, northern is underground wither you like it or not allways will be, if it not any more can some one let me know.

Nik

Social source share

Guest brivinyl

The nothern soul scene hasn't been an underground scene since the mid seventies, it's just that some people on the scene like to think it is.

Social source share

Guest topcatnumpty1

Worse than that,lan,someone mentioning Black Pudding Bertha!!

Cos she's the queen of northern soul...and some-one once told me Bill Oddie went to The Torch!!

Phil-----Bill Oddie did not go to the Torch ---but was one of the earliest members of the First Twisted Wheel(Brazennose Street) in1963 when he was at uni in Didsbury and was akken blues fan.

Best

Tony

Social source share

I think some people are maybe a little jealous of the the folk that know or who have been around for years

Yeah, right. I'm sure you are a nice bloke, just passionate about the scene, but you are in danger here of sounding like a ruddy teenage goth.

do you want it going the way of rock n roll and even have a class of come dancing called soul as in disco or rock n roll,

There are at least a couple of Northern dance classes I know of, and there have been dance competitions since...?

northern is underground wither you like it or not allways will be, if it not any more can some one let me know.

OK. Go to Westgate in Long Eaton, or Rolls Royce in Derby, or Stoke Kings Hall, or Brighouse, or Riley Smith, or Blackburn King George, or any number of other extremely mainstream, and often downright (close your eyes) enjoyable nights.

It's about as underground as a jumbo jet.

Social source share

Guest spudmurphy

im becoming a bit confused here I thought soul was open to anyone ive never heard of it being underground there are 3 or 4 current threads on here now all in the same vein someone tell me whats wrong with new blood or people rediscovering the music (tis all very strange)

Social source share

You know how your wife asks does this outfit suit me and you can see the trap with the sharp spikes she's just dug for you. Well think of Simon's posts in the same way.

ROD

LOL, a perfect metaphore Rod. I still get flashbacks from his story about Saddam Hussein's brother being a big Northern collector wind-up.......

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

Guest Scarborosoul

I wish certain people within the scene would stop slaging off Wigan's Ovation!

As far as I can see their crime was to appear on TOTPS.

If there weren¢Å¾¢t bands like Wigan's Ovation then we wouldn¢Å¾¢t have had Edwin Starr or Jackie Wilson. We certainly would not have had the session¢Å¾¢s musicians such as Van McCoy.

Jim McClusky¢Å¾¢s career died the day the gutter press hounded him and the band after TOTPS, depriving the UK scene of a rare home grown soul talent.

Northern Soul Dancer stands on its own as one of the best forgotten soulful records ever!

Im reporting this post as It has physically injured me as a result of falling over I was laughing so much!!! I do wish Simon that you would think of other peoples health when you make such poststongue.gif

Rick

Social source share

Guest soulmaguk

I feel that trying to relate to this post is a wide subject. Every young person has their own take on what Northern Soul is depending on where they live and where they choose to listen to what is billed as Northern Soul. Some older Northern/Rare Soul listeners are mainly attracted to the Weekender scene. Some younger folk can hang out closer to home to more mod related soul venues and still get their top up on Northern Soul...whatever that is! Everyone learns at a differnt rate, everyone comes from a different social background, songs and lyrics will mean different things in their lives to each individual. Do you understand what Francios Hardy is singing? do you just like her tones? Consider the young French, Spanish and other European Northern Soul fans, They may understand the English language perfectly but do they hear some words in songs that sound like words that may mean something else in their own language. So why are their non native English speaking Northern Soul fans, do they like the scene perhaps, the new young scene that is so evident now. We have all got our own take on what we like about Northern Soul, and so will the next generation, and that will never change.

jock.

Social source share

Guest Brian Fradgley

Two issues come to mind here.

Firstly, despite the media's use of NS tunes in advertising (examples - I wanna know for Felix cat food, and more recently Don Thomas - Come on train) the original artists who made these classics may be very difficult to track down for promotional purposes, or in some cases may even unfortunatley have died. Maximum exposure, meaning maximum return for promotion is therefore sacrificed - the impact withers and dies.

Secondly, the first wave of "superjocks" who discovered and promoted our treasures back in the sixties/seventies are now naturally reducing in numbers. Their first duty was to the dancefloor.They had a full sweetshop from which to pick their goodies and we all benefitted.

The "new wave" sadly don't have such a selection to choose from, are therefore precious of their reputations, and put rarity in front of danceability.

An allnighter used to be able to accomodate three or four top line DJs.

Nowadays we see too often "ten DJ's" which if the truth be told is probably two or three "DJ's" and the balance made up of record collectors who are naturally more interested in playing their new "discoveries" (keep in mind the paucity of choice nowadays) at the expense of their dancefloor.

They all turn up at different times during the evening not knowing what their predecessors have been playing and therefore having no knowledge of their audience's preferences are - and I know from years of experience that no audience is the same two events running.

It is therefore critical that a younger and fresher element is encouraged by DJs devoted to the dancefloor rather than their individual egos.

Those who remember the early years are naturally slowing down but nothing picks you up better than mixing with people with more energy (even if your own is only fuelled by vodka and Red Bull!).

If the "scene" promotes itself by encouraging new blood then the media will take a greater interest and just maybe some of our artists who have given us so much pleasure over the years may enjoy their later years with a little added pension!

Social source share

Personally i don't think any of us has anything to worry about - young people today live in a NOW culture and aren't interested in anything that was released or happened last year - never mind thirty or forty years ago!! Also most of em are chavs and they're far too idle to dance!! Imagine doing back flips with all that bling on - they'd whip themselves to death with plastic dollar signs!

Social source share

Guest sarahleen

Personally i don't think any of us has anything to worry about - young people today live in a NOW culture and aren't interested in anything that was released or happened last year - never mind thirty or forty years ago!! Also most of em are chavs and they're far too idle to dance!! Imagine doing back flips with all that bling on - they'd whip themselves to death with plastic dollar signs!

on the contrary. i think young people NOT getting into the scene IS something to worry about . my daughter and daughter in law (great dancers btw) are always asking me to post stuff on youtube and facebook for them and their friends and im more than proud to do so. we have to get the young uns in because if we dont who is going to carry it all on ?

it was mainstream in the area i lived (west yorks) in the late 70s anyway

Social source share

Personally i don't think any of us has anything to worry about - young people today live in a NOW culture and aren't interested in anything that was released or happened last year - never mind thirty or forty years ago!! Also most of em are chavs and they're far too idle to dance!!  Imagine doing back flips with all that bling on - they'd whip themselves to death with plastic dollar signs!

Very useful, expert analysis of the millions of different young people living in this country.

Thank you.

Social source share

Guest johnm

I showed the lady dancing in the Whitby Weekender 2008 to a mate in work who showed it to his wife who then showed it to some young colleaguues at work and they loved it.

Wanted to know more so there are some young ones who are interested.

Edited by johnm
Social source share

Two issues come to mind here.

Firstly, despite the media's use of NS tunes in advertising (examples - I wanna know for Felix cat food, and more recently Don Thomas - Come on train) the original artists who made these classics may be very difficult to track down for promotional purposes, or in some cases may even unfortunatley have died. Maximum exposure, meaning maximum return for promotion is therefore sacrificed - the impact withers and dies.

Secondly, the first wave of "superjocks" who discovered and promoted our treasures back in the sixties/seventies are now naturally reducing in numbers. Their first duty was to the dancefloor.They had a full sweetshop from which to pick their goodies and we all benefitted.

The "new wave" sadly don't have such a selection to choose from, are therefore precious of their reputations, and put rarity in front of danceability.

An allnighter used to be able to accomodate three or four top line DJs.

Nowadays we see too often "ten DJ's" which if the truth be told is probably two or three "DJ's" and the balance made up of record collectors who are naturally more interested in playing their new "discoveries" (keep in mind the paucity of choice nowadays) at the expense of their dancefloor.

They all turn up at different times during the evening not knowing what their predecessors have been playing and therefore having no knowledge of their audience's preferences are - and I know from years of experience that no audience is the same two events running.

It is therefore critical that a younger and fresher element is encouraged by DJs devoted to the dancefloor rather than their individual egos.

Those who remember the early years are naturally slowing down but nothing picks you up better than mixing with people with more energy (even if your own is only fuelled by vodka and Red Bull!).

If the "scene" promotes itself by encouraging new blood then the media will take a greater interest and just maybe some of our artists who have given us so much pleasure over the years may enjoy their later years with a little added pension!

I don't know any DJ that put's rarity above danceability. Perhaps you could name some; well one will do.

We have a bigger 'sweetshop' than ever before those records haven't all disappeared you know.

I try to be at venues early but can only tell you what people have danced to that night not what they will dance to. You make a judgement based on style, tempo, era etc. Playing safe and only giving an audience stuff you KNOW they will dance to is all too common and restricts the sweetshops sales to just a few top selling lines.

There are less and less new discoveries nowadays but without DJ's having the balls to try something new the scene is dead already.

I wonder why so many people have lost that urge to hear something new? At least new blood on the scene doesn't come with such baggage.

I'm all for getting new people into the music but that must be done by the music itself not by marketting men and hype in the effort to make a fast buck that was tried in the 70's. If they have a genuine love of the music then that will last. We can do without the fashionistas who only see it as a way to build their own credibility.

Social source share

Guest ScooterNik

Its not just soul thats being hammered to death in advertising, ska is also getting thoroughly hammered at the moment too (and not just crap compilations, the advertising for which makes me wasnt to go "Me like ska? No sir, not me") in all sorts of adverts, the worst of which has to be the Asda one where they've managed to rework the old Asda price jingle into a ska type rhythm.

Gits.

Social source share

Guest Dante

I'm going thru all the posts, just a couple of thoughts on this:

The northern scene isn't underground as it used to be in the early 70s. You have a Wigan Casino Caf or something like that in Wigan, a comp in every shop, etc. And also, and more important, no one gives a f*** about some 50 year old blokes dancing to some 40 year old music. Believe me, it won't get mainstream, because it's not interesting to today's market. Thirty years ago it was about teenagers and 20 somethings taking pills, dancing all night blah blah blah. When it's about decent eglishmen with houses and children, it's not interestig anymore. Trust me, Northern Soul will not be mainstream again...

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I prefer the scene to be as underground as possible. Yes the genie is out of the bottle, but I dont have to welcome that do I?

And where is it mutually exclusive that I as an underground person cant welcome new young kids to the scene?

Why do people who think that it being advertised during their fave Soap is a good thing, think that I as someone who feels sick seeing it, think that automatically I am a chin stroking hater of anyone who doesnt agree with me, or know at least as much as the little I know?

I have this idea in my head about what Northern Soul, and the Nnorthern Soul scene is. And thats what I like, and why I still go to venues, and listen, and sometimes collect the sounds.

Now I know that its not the same as most other peoples view of the scene, but what I thought bound us together is something like the fact that Northern Soul, to all intents and purposes isnt mainstream.

I love the fact I can go to a venue where the majority are pretty much nothing like the twats in my home town, who despite declaring that they are bang into this music or that music. In reality probably arent, They just prefer that beat to bounce along to when they are completely trousered.

Do I think that if Northern Soul became a mainstream fad, that it would mean that certain elements I still hold dear would be watered down? 100% I do. That doesnt for one second mean that a 20 year old, hearing a mates dad playing Picture Me gone, should be discouraged.

It seems to me in fact, its the guys who like to call themselves progressive, and lable us as chinstokers or elitists, are the ones who are actually making the wrong assumptions and are possibly putting people off the scene by telling them, not to be involved with such closed minded old farts.

I see myself as being as welcoming as the next man. I dont see myself being happy that Northern Soul music is being plied to the masses. One doesnt naturally follow the other, as some may think. And just because I like to hear newly discovered sounds, it doesnt mean that the hairs on my neck dont stand up at the opening bars of Pookie Hudson.

I also think there is a way to go about making Northern Soul more accessable. Kent for me have it 100% spot on. Their fayre is much more about widening peoples knowledge, just as say Ian or Richard would have been doing at the Mecca or the Casino. Whereas I think yet another CD with some of the same old same old, is more about making a penny than educating.

Not that enjoying the music has to be an education. But somewhere along the line, anyone into any music needs to learn a bit about it. Dont they?

Social source share

Ok, I give up, life is just to short.sad.gif ~

Don't give up, I agree with everything you said and Mikey has made some salient points also.

It's a rare soul scene and an underground scene and if it stopped being that, imo it would cease to be special.

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Don't give up, I agree with everything you said and Mikey has made some salient points also.

It's a rare soul scene and an underground scene and if it stopped being that, imo it would cease to be special.

thank you , thats what i said and it is TOTALLY true

Social source share

In Town Mikey,

Very good points, most of which I would agree with, but I think there is a classic internet debate misperception here - which no doubt I have contributed to and am guilty of - about what the 'other' side is saying in both cases, and for fear of repetition, I'll concede the point about longevity to Miff.

Edited by spirit
Social source share

It seems the NS scene here in the U.S. is very different, It's overflowing with young people. But yes, it does seem like a lot of the kids that do show up, are the just there because its new and underground and they dont care about the history or the beautiful culture, it seems like it's becoming almost a "hip" thing. i dont know if anything like this goes on anywhere else?

Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

I'm going thru all the posts, just a couple of thoughts on this:

The northern scene isn't underground as it used to be in the early 70s. You have a Wigan Casino Caf or something like that in Wigan, a comp in every shop, etc. And also, and more important, no one gives a f*** about some 50 year old blokes dancing to some 40 year old music. Believe me, it won't get mainstream, because it's not interesting to today's market. Thirty years ago it was about teenagers and 20 somethings taking pills, dancing all night blah blah blah. When it's about decent eglishmen with houses and children, it's not interestig anymore. Trust me, Northern Soul will not be mainstream again...

It's true, it just isnt going to happen, ever! You all have NOTHING to worry about.

Social source share

Wether we like to admit it or not the NS scene is a middle age scene so is not attractive to young people . The NS scene has been in the public domain for years and its not become mainstream simply because most people dont like it .

Black music generaly has a hard time if you look at any of those 100 greatest album list shows on tv there are only two or so artists featured Jackson and Whitney houston so rare soul is always going to be an aquired taste .

It doesnt bother me though I get what I want out of soul music if other people dont then tough .

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

Oh man how come some people say it shouldn't be for mainstream especially young people.

in the 70's when it got popular a lot of the people who attended was in there teens and 20's getting into the music who have now grown up and got to know a little more about the music and so on. So that is the same as me who got into Northern soul in my early 20's so there for why can the oldies who was my age when getting into the scene tell me i am not welcome or shouldn't be hyprocritical

the way forward is for like minded Northern soul fans to keep it going who will welcome younger people to get into it and keep it going especially if you are into it now like me.

cause i for one will try and keep Northern soul going in say 30 years when i am what 58 in hope that people still want it. will be sad to imagine it's gone because of you older lot now

Social source share

agree, I get my satisfaction from it, if the masses don't like it, well thats that.... if they do then I hope they are buying CD's, the artists get paid, and as long as the price of orig 45's keeps going down, I'm happy!! laughs

mal

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert