Really Bizarre Covers Of Northern Tracks

• Replies 63
  • Views 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

An excellent website for those of us interested in ja covers of soul tunes is www.skaville.de which lists exactly that along with ja interpretations of jazz, latin and r&b records. A few from my collection not mentioned earlier inc:

Prince Buster - Johnny Dollar [Garnett Mimms 'Quiet Place']

Silvertones - He will break your heart [Jerry Butler]

Sensations - Lonely Lover [Temps]

Ken Boothe - Keep Me Hanging On [supremes]

Fairly predictable cover choices I suppose but when you look at the depth and variety of tunes done by ja artists from 1960 onwards, you really get an insight into what serious collectors the early soundmen were, getting jobs in the u.s just to source lesser known sides etc.

Skaville.de also lists ja records done in a soul style and this got me to thinking that rocksteady pack b sides might be a largely untapped resource for records with northern dancefloor/collector appeal. There's the well known Glenn Miller tune on Dr. Bird of course and I seem to remember Pete having a ja c/u in his mag [sonya Kaye - Black Cat c/u?] In my opinion The Diplomats - Strong Man [Caltone] and The Gaylettes - That Lonely Feeling [Merritone/Island] could appeal to some but does anyone know of anymore? It's got to be a better source of potential killers than Bobby Rydell soundalikes and Disco Tex outtakes ain't it!

Social source share

I seem to remember Pete having a ja c/u in his mag [sonya Kaye - Black Cat c/u?]

link

Bloody hell you're right, what a good memory you have - what a great record that was, even though I've now forgotten how it goes. It was by The First Generation on High Note, called either Give Him Up or Give It Up, B side of a Dave Barker track.

Who be you then Exustrek?

Social source share

You know I collect reggae/rocksteday whatever, it's really amazing at some of the songs they did oin the 60's and early 70's, for instance this week I've had a female version of Compared To What and a 68 reggae version of Chuck Jackson's Good Things Come To Those Who Wait!  Wouldn't have thought either of those was well known enough to cover.

the Les McCann/Eddie Harris cover of 'Compared To What' was a massive hit in the US, the earlier Roberta Flack version was probably pretty well known too...

Social source share

the Les McCann/Eddie Harris cover of 'Compared To What' was a massive hit in the US, the earlier Roberta Flack version was probably pretty well known too...

link

i've got a copy of "compared to what" by ray charles on atlantic,

also a not bad cover of the marvellettes "my baby must be a magician" by the sapphires on the stiff label.

Social source share

Jimmy Ruffin also does 96 Tears on a Motown lp

As well as Sir Cliff doing Nothing but a houseparty the Tremeloes also whacked out a half decent blue-eyed version.

Eddie Philips and the Hot Rod Gang's 100mph rockabilly version of Tainted Love was a big fave in my teens!

Social source share

Jimmy Ruffin also does 96 Tears on a Motown lp

As well as Sir Cliff doing Nothing but a houseparty the Tremeloes also whacked out a half decent blue-eyed version.

Eddie Philips and the Hot Rod Gang's 100mph rockabilly version of Tainted Love was a big fave in my teens!

link

That Jimmy Ruffin is a good version :huh:

TP

Social source share

ok, maybe 'massive' was a bit OTT, i immediately regretted typing that and ended up causing a fuss, was just pointing out it wasn't an obscure track to cover...

https://search-completed.ebay.co.uk/swiss-m...gZ1QQsofocusZso

link

:huh:

nice one.

I only kept asking because I'd never heard of it before Mr Floods Party and I'm pretty up on 60's hits - was it a vocal or just an instrumental??

Social source share

ranting_1.gif

nice one.

I only kept asking because I'd never heard of it before Mr Floods Party and I'm pretty up on 60's hits - was it a vocal or just an instrumental??

link

written by Eugene McDaniels, Roberta Flack is the 1st version i think, hers is a vocal (on the First Take LP i think - nice LP), Eddie Harris and Les McCann is a live vocal version, not sure which of them is singing though! got a few more versions besides the Mr Flood's Party, but would have to look them up

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert