Manships Finishing Prices

• Replies 27
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I got my bid off last week and up until 1 minute before the end I had bagged it.......its a bit like waiting for the kids to be born again :thumbsup:laugh.gif

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

As I still cant log in on Johns site ive no idea how it finished up tonight, anyone know the scores on the doors?

:boxing:

I put a bid in for Harry Starr with about an hour to go so no problems at that time! Current Bid at the time: £ 188.00

Social source share

It was the first auction on the new site and there was some problems with being able to "get in" to bid, as the auction area slowed to nearly a stand still (overload) but it was monitored by IWeb Solutions and they are putting in the right codes to stop this happening again.

Apparently they needed to have "live" traffic before the exact right coding could be worked out and installed, enabling swift access at all times. Fingers crossed everything will now be OK at the finishing times when viewing and bidding is the heaviest, from now on.

32 new auction items are being added today, so do take a look this afternoon.

Don Gardener - Cheatin' Kind - will be one of them.

John

Social source share

Apparently they needed to have "live" traffic before the exact right coding could be worked out and installed, enabling swift access at all times. Fingers crossed everything will now be OK at the finishing times when viewing and bidding is the heaviest, from now on.

Not true John I'm afraid. They should have anticipated traffic and built in contingency. To say they needed live traffic is a poor excuse with no technical substance to it - i.e. they are "pulling the wool over your eyes".

And tell 'em I said so!!

John.

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

It was the first auction on the new site and there was some problems with being able to "get in" to bid, as the auction area slowed to nearly a stand still (overload) but it was monitored by IWeb Solutions and they are putting in the right codes to stop this happening again.

32 new auction items are being added today, so do take a look this afternoon.

Don Gardener - Cheatin' Kind - will be one of them.

John

Hell John i hope everone can get loged on for the ending of you new listed items! :thumbup:

Social source share

Hell John i hope everone can get loged on for the ending of you new listed items! swoon.gif

I HOPE THAT NOBODY CAN GET LOGGED IN, ONLY ME. THEN THE DON GARDNER 45 WILL BE MINE......ALL MINE :) .

BRI ( I CAN DREAN CAN'T I ) PINCH.

BENTINCK BACK ROOM, 19TH JUNE.

Social source share

Hell John i hope everone can get loged on for the ending of you new listed items! swoon.gif

I HOPE THAT NOBODY CAN GET LOGGED IN, ONLY ME. THEN THE DON GARDNER 45 WILL BE MINE......ALL MINE :) .

BRI ( I CAN DREAN CAN'T I ) PINCH.

BENTINCK BACK ROOM, 19TH JUNE.

Hi Bri

Are you really "the cheatin kind" :D

Seriously where are the real finishing prices,did it end ammicabily with sellers? did it end or are all items re-listed due to teething troubles??

initial question was "MANSHIP FINISHING PRICES" so please ,are we gonna get em or what :(

Social source share

Hi Bri

Are you really "the cheatin kind" :P

Seriously where are the real finishing prices,did it end ammicabily with sellers? did it end or are all items re-listed due to teething troubles??

initial question was "MANSHIP FINISHING PRICES" so please ,are we gonna get em or what g.gif

Exactly! :D

Social source share

initial question was "MANSHIP FINISHING PRICES" so please ,are we gonna get em or what g.gif

Sorry Nev.... as one of the people who used to list them, they now seem unavailable.... and I have tried various means over the last couple of days with no joy....

With the old site you could still access the pages of the auctions after they had finished.... ALL of them going back over the years, whether you'd bid or not....

With this new site the page disappears after the auction closes.... just appears as below....

Whether or not an item page is still visable if you've actually placed a bid, I dunno.... but even items in the new "Your Watch Section", although still visible as a list of items, are then not visible when you click "more info".... displays same as picture above....

FAO John.... as an aside, there is an oversight with the site at the moment re watched items.... there doesn't seem to be a way of deleting a "watched item" after that item ends.... you have the option when it's still ongoing but not when it's ended.... I find that strange.... any ideas?.... something to be addressed?....

Maybe it's all something to do with how it's now built.... or maybe it's something that has been built in on purpose to stop these threads and the debates on prices that ensue....

It seems a shame though, as it was always nice to know what a record ended up at....

Edited by vaultofsouler
Social source share

Sorry Nev.... as one of the people who used to list them, they now seem unavailable.... and I have tried various means over the last couple of days with no joy....

With the old site you could still access the pages of the auctions after they had finished.... ALL of them going back over the years, whether you'd bid or not....

With this new site the page disappears after the auction closes.... just appears as below....

Whether or not an item page is still visable if you've actually placed a bid, I dunno.... but even items in the new "Your Watch Section", although still visible as a list of items, are then not visible when you click "more info".... displays same as picture above....

FAO John.... as an aside, there is an oversight with the site at the moment re watched items.... there doesn't seem to be a way of deleting a "watched item" after that item ends.... you have the option when it's still ongoing but not when it's ended.... I find that strange.... any ideas?.... something to be addressed?....

Maybe it's all something to do with how it's now built.... or maybe it's something that has been built in on purpose to stop these threads and the debates on prices that ensue....

It seems a shame though, as it was always nice to know what a record ended up at....

Thanks for your comments, I did not know you couldn't delete your watched items. We shall have that rectified ASAP (with 24 hours). There is obviously gonna be some glitches on a project of this size, the site took over 4 months to construct it is very complexed, but probklems are being ironed out very quickly . The auction "overload" and all the other little probs have now been sorted.

We always honor bids no matter what occurred at the auction ending. Some had probs logging, many people were able to, so all listings were sold.

NOTE It is UK Law that, when an auction ends both the seller and the buyer are legally bound to complete the transaction, auctions are a contract.

The end prices will be available as part of our information subscription area to be launched later this year. Everty auction final price, scan and write up going back years and years will be available. One of the reasons we don't list end prices is we don't want other similiar sites or projects "lifting" our info and using it before we can launch our new project.

Why people want to bid last minute is puzzling, as it's all Proxy bidding and you'll only pay one increment over your nearest bidder. So why not bid early then forget it. Those who did or do certainly have won some bargains lately. Bidding late seems to alert others to "join" in, and then we know what happens.

One of the problems has been vinyl "voyeurs" we can have as many as 6,000 people refreshing the screen whilst only maybe 30 to 590 are actually trying to bid. But like I say this has now been sorted so fingers crossed "voyeurs" will no longer slow down the fun for those who to bid.

Thanks to everyone for being so patient during this transition to the new site

john

Social source share

Thanks for your comments, I did not know you couldn't delete your watched items. We shall have that rectified ASAP (with 24 hours). There is obviously gonna be some glitches on a project of this size, the site took over 4 months to construct it is very complexed, but probklems are being ironed out very quickly . The auction "overload" and all the other little probs have now been sorted.

We always honor bids no matter what occurred at the auction ending. Some had probs logging, many people were able to, so all listings were sold.

NOTE It is UK Law that, when an auction ends both the seller and the buyer are legally bound to complete the transaction, auctions are a contract.

The end prices will be available as part of our information subscription area to be launched later this year. Everty auction final price, scan and write up going back years and years will be available. One of the reasons we don't list end prices is we don't want other similiar sites or projects "lifting" our info and using it before we can launch our new project.

Why people want to bid last minute is puzzling, as it's all Proxy bidding and you'll only pay one increment over your nearest bidder. So why not bid early then forget it. Those who did or do certainly have won some bargains lately. Bidding late seems to alert others to "join" in, and then we know what happens.

One of the problems has been vinyl "voyeurs" we can have as many as 6,000 people refreshing the screen whilst only maybe 30 to 590 are actually trying to bid. But like I say this has now been sorted so fingers crossed "voyeurs" will no longer slow down the fun for those who to bid.

john

Nothing to do with the new lay out ( which I don't like compared to the old one) but I always thought this was an online auction, I had a highest bid last week with a minute to go & it sat there for at least 2 minutes & then it announced that I was bidding against a telephone bidder ?

Social source share

Hey John.... the minor glitches are no real big deal to such a major overhaul as you are actually picking up on them and are doing something about them.... unlike other sites, ebay to name one....

I only noticed the delete issue this morning John when I thought I'd delete the ended items whilst on site.... so thought I'd mention it....

I suspected this was now built in to the site.... can't say I blame you due to "lifting" issues.... nice to know it is soon to be available though....

Maybe, just maybe, their top proxy bid gets overtaken and so "have to" bid again....

Bit like the mentality you see on ebay sometimes.... the "win at all costs" single-mindedness that takes over in bidding wars....

john

No, thank you for the years of service to this scene of ours John thumbsup.gif ....

Edited by vaultofsouler
Social source share

Nothing to do with the new lay out ( which I don't like compared to the old one) but I always thought this was an online auction, I had a highest bid last week with a minute to go & it sat there for at least 2 minutes & then it announced that I was bidding against a telephone bidder ?

I don't know what your trying to imply, if you were bidding for the Luther Ingram, the telephone bidder and winner was PETER RICHER he's a member on here and he won the 45, he is certainly entitled to bid by phone as is anyone else for we know and trust or is registered to the auction. Are you suggesting we ban Telephone bids?? we certainly won;t as we have many, many regular who are traveling or not at home we even get people ringing in from holiday destinations... the telephone bidding facility is essential.

Edited by john manship
Social source share

I don't know what your trying to imply, if you were bidding for the Luther Ingram, the telephone bidder and winner was PETER RICHER he's a member on here and he won the 45, he is certainly entitled to bid by phone as is anyone else for we know and trust or is registered to the auction. Are you suggesting we ban Telephone bids?? we certainly won;t as we have many, many regular who are traveling or not at home we even get people ringing in from holiday destinations... the telephone bidding facility is essential.

John ,phone bidder Peter is a good friend of mine ,but reading your last post and regarding the bit you said about proxy bidding and can't understand why people wait until last minute to bid ??,it's a contradiction in itself.

If you say on the website and it clearly does..item ends at 6pm wednesday.Then how come just because there's a late interest ,which can only be phone bidders,it runs after the 6pm deadline?

It is only my opinion but surely this is unfair to online bidders ??

The truth is people who bid on auction do it for two reasons ..

1)It's a dog rare record and they deffo want it ,it may be a while before the ysee another so are willing to do what it takes to get it.

2)They fancy their chances at bagging something for less than the book price or current going rate.

Proxy bidding with a time limit is no different to ebay but logically if 10 people put in thier highest bid with 7 days to go then surely each individual bidder's offer will cause the price to continually rise until highest bid increment is reached?? so with still 7 days to go its already hiked up ,leaving everyone in a bidding war.

If the item closes at 6pm then the bids stop at exactly that time,thus meaning late bidders who were willing to pay more ,lose out.Hence the reason snipers are so popular .If ebay allowed people to make bids after the final bid time there'd be an outrage.

only my opinion and hopefully a valid point ,certainly not having a go at you John or anyone else who runs auctions.

Just a thought here ,if its a proxy bid system and there's no need for last minute bidding ,why the need for late phone bidders??

Social source share

John ,phone bidder Peter is a good friend of mine ,but reading your last post and regarding the bit you said about proxy bidding and can't understand why people wait until last minute to bid ??,it's a contradiction in itself.

If you say on the website and it clearly does..item ends at 6pm wednesday.Then how come just because there's a late interest ,which can only be phone bidders,it runs after the 6pm deadline?

1)It's a dog rare record and they deffo want it ,it may be a while before the ysee another so are willing to do what it takes to get it.

2)They fancy their chances at bagging something for less than the book price or current going rate.

Proxy bidding with a time limit is no different to ebay but logically if 10 people put in thier highest bid with 7 days to go then surely each individual bidder's offer will cause the price to continually rise until highest bid increment is reached?? so with still 7 days to go its already hiked up ,leaving everyone in a bidding war.

If the item closes at 6pm then the bids stop at exactly that time,thus meaning late bidders who were willing to pay more ,lose out.Hence the reason snipers are so popular .If ebay allowed people to make bids after the final bid time there'd be an outrage.

only my opinion and hopefully a valid point ,certainly not having a go at you John or anyone else who runs auctions.

Just a thought here ,if its a proxy bid system and there's no need for last minute bidding ,why the need for late phone bidders??

[/q

Nev,

Obviously you have not read the instructions for the auction, which are self explanatory and have been on our site for 8 years or so?

The point I was trying to make is, why don't people just bid what they want to pay and forget it. They could win it cheap.

But like you say and have stated in your two reasons, perhaps that is too simple.

Our auction is a REAL auction your bidding against people LIVE. If no-one bids against you the hammer goes down dead on 6 to the very second. If they do bid against you bid, up to 2 minutes before 6 it stays open for 2 minutes to give you a chance to bid back.

It's a proper - live auction with a proxy facilty if you fancy doing it that way.

To be honest I think this'll be the last post I do on this site..I'm far too busy to explain things that have been in place for an age and have always had a full explanation on the site for everyone to read.

Last post, and signing off... PM's only from now on.

Thanks John

Social source share

That is correct, and I have been grateful for the facility of telephone bidding on many occasions. I bid on-line whenever possible, as that is my preferred method, but I cannot always get to a suitable computer.

Telephone bidding is available at all decent auction houses (such as Sotheby's, Christie's, or local property auctions). As is extending auction times until all bidders have finished (as in: 'going once, going twice, third and final time ...') etc. John's is the only rare soul auction I know of that actually models itself on 'proper' auctions, and he deserves full credit for that.

Having said that, last Wednesday was a bit of a muddle (unfortunate, but not unexpected with a new system) and I was lucky to have access even via the telephone to get my bid on. And yes, some other people will potentially have inadvertently ended up with bargains as a result.

Peter

Social source share

Sorry that you feel this way John

Original post was "Manship's finishing prices!" ,which if posted could have saved a lot of time .

Believe it or not ,we are interested in what things go for and don't really understand the secrecy?

And most of us ,believe it or not ,are also busy people but can be bothered to post .

End of an era then sad.gif

Social source share

That is correct, and I have been grateful for the facility of telephone bidding on many occasions. I bid on-line whenever possible, as that is my preferred method, but I cannot always get to a suitable computer.

Telephone bidding is available at all decent auction houses (such as Sotheby's, Christie's, or local property auctions). As is extending auction times until all bidders have finished (as in: 'going once, going twice, third and final time ...') etc. John's is the only rare soul auction I know of that actually models itself on 'proper' auctions, and he deserves full credit for that.

Having said that, last Wednesday was a bit of a muddle (unfortunate, but not unexpected with a new system) and I was lucky to have access even via the telephone to get my bid on. And yes, some other people will potentially have inadvertently ended up with bargains as a result.

Peter

Congratulations on winning this 45 thumbsup.gif - that's me and you who now own this RARE copy :P - anyone else out there with this copy?

Julian

Social source share

I wasn't implying anything in particular, more a case of I thought it was an online auction only as the website mentions nothing about telephone bidders, though in the "real world" of course that would be the normal procedure. I had the leading bid at 6pm & thought that I should have won the item because prior to that there was 1 minute remaining on the auction site & no fresh bids were present, to me at least.

It wasn't Luther Ingram that I was bidding for & apologies Peter for the fact that somehow you have been dragged into my fairly innocent post.

Thanks Nev for posting & putting into words much of what I was thinking.

This was my very first auction anywhere & probably my last huh.gif I think I prefer set sales :lol:

Social source share

I wasn't implying anything in particular, more a case of I thought it was an online auction only as the website mentions nothing about telephone bidders, though in the "real world" of course that would be the normal procedure. I had the leading bid at 6pm & thought that I should have won the item because prior to that there was 1 minute remaining on the auction site & no fresh bids were present, to me at least.

It wasn't Luther Ingram that I was bidding for & apologies Peter for the fact that somehow you have been dragged into my fairly innocent post.

Thanks Nev for posting & putting into words much of what I was thinking.

This was my very first auction anywhere & probably my last huh.gif I think I prefer set sales :lol:

What were you bidding on and let's see if we can all help you out ,SET SALE of course :P

Don't let one bad experience put you off ,like John said it was he 1st auction under the new website and had hitches ,glitches etc .

Social source share

Nev, It wasn't from the new site but the last auction on the old one !......... I was after the Gloria Hill Be somebody but I won't hold my breath sad.gif

I've spoken to 3 people I know that own it but nobody wants to sell, it's a great record very poorly produced but more a nostalgia piece for me but if anyones got one wink.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert