"de-rarified" Over The Years Thru Ebay ?

Here's a rather nice Canadian copy of Bill Brandon...the flipside is awesome Northern (same as the Tower flip).

Gotta be rare?!

ph34r.gif

Oi could people stop talking this up till I get my £30 copy, still waiting........

definitley not my attempt mate as there are already some items in the list that I own myself. Wouldn`t make any sense to talk down their values, would it ? I believe this stated fact is proof enough for the honesty in my attempt rolleyes.gif ?

Also I tried to make it clear from the start that I am not on about values or prices in general...only and just interested in a list of records that used to be thought of being ultra rare in a sense of nearly "impossible to get" whereas these days you could buy them comparatively easy in say a years time period off ebay for example. If you have the needed funds of course :lol:

Marc

Marc, I actually meant everyone but you mate, including myself!! Its great fun watching you bat them all down, you show typical German honesty, while we are all happy to lie through our teeth to get the records cheaper. :yes:

not included in this list :shades:

Just picking up on Phil's comment, who coincidentally has just sold one I believe :thumbsup: but okay I will stretch to £300, someone better take it down, sure I heard someone has a box of them under their bed somewhere!!

Curtis Anderson was actually a give away record via Mick Charlton (circa 1988) . Thanks Mick :yes:

Yes and I gave one away, this was never really rare was it Simon? How about some of your one or two offs that you keep very quiet about! :lol:

Social source share

• Replies 167
  • Views 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

so except for Simon who recieved every 45 he did not buy off Soul Bowl @ 3 UKP in the seventies as a give away in the eighties would anybody else say it doesn`t belong into this list wink.gif ?

Now now Marc , just stating facts . Im sure most 80's Modern soulies were glad that most of the records were easy to aquire and 99 % of NS Jocks ignored em tongue.gif

We used to use Timless legend sevens as frisbees :thumbsup:

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

We used to use Timless legend sevens as frisbees :thumbsup:

Yeah I know, saw a picture. And you used to catch them with empty Paradise LP covers...or Ike Noble covers when the first 200 Paradise covers were rocked.

wink.gif

post-1700-1244659855.jpg

from left to right: Simon, the record dealer of his trust at that time and Jocko on the far right (for a change LOL)..always a tad in front and leading laugh.gif

Edited by Marc Forrest
Social source share

I've played it out, Dylan.

Much prefer the flipside though, and although a handful have gone through in the past 18 months I think it continues to be quite a difficult number.

Will always be very desirable, for those in the know! :thumbup:

thumbsup.gif

Sean

I paid £100 about 3 years ago for a mint one off ebay , Rainbow Road would def. be in my top 5 of all time .Best,Eddie

Social source share

here´s an update

Little Tommy SOS

Jackey Beavers "I Need My Baby"

Clara Hardy on Tuna

Dwight Franklin Foxie Lila

Bill Brandon on Tower

Al Williams on Palmer

Four Tracks on Mandingo

Jimmy Delphs "Dancing A Hole In The World" Demo

Sage on Head

Gene Toones Simco Demo

Joe Jama Optimum

Montclairs Hey You

Jackie Day Naughty Boy

Carmelita on Carmen

Percy Stone on Ram

Cashmeres HEM

Cautions No Other Way

Troy Dodds Try My Love

Royal Esquires

(Lil`Major Williams on Palladium)

Williams III

Sam Williams Tower

Arthur Freeman Jumbo and Fame

Melvin Davis Ke Ke

Lawanda Williams Ke Ke

Brooks Bros

New Yorkers

Jock Mitchell

Otis Lee

Mary Saxton

Jesse Johnson

September Jones

Jesse Davis - Era

Paris

Ivorys

Celebrities

Johnny Mae Mathews "I Have No Choice"

Tommy & The Derbys

Frederick Hymes

New World We`re Gonna Make It

Georgous George excluded again because of common agreement, Vondells as well (only three on popsike for example).

Guitar Ray on Shagg ?

Edited by Marc Forrest
Social source share

done. What about Curtis Anderson "The Hardest Part" and New World "We Gonna Make It" ?

all the curtis andersons also came from one guy in baltimore right?

i think the new world is a good example as it is a major label thing that was buried in a bunch of places and then has come out from different sources that had it lying around. also, what about the vanguards good times bad times, that seems to come up from different sources also.

Social source share

all the curtis andersons also came from one guy in baltimore right?

i think the new world is a good example as it is a major label thing that was buried in a bunch of places and then has come out from different sources that had it lying around. also, what about the vanguards good times bad times, that seems to come up from different sources also.

Hi Bob, how many did he actually sell (Curtis Anderson) ? I seem to remember the seller coming back on ebay after he had shifted the first bunch saying "I found another bunch but these will definitely be my last copies" ?

Yes, New World indeed seems to be a good example. But Vanguards "Good/Bad"...not that many again (on ebay three in six years) or do you mean "Gotta have Love" ?

Marc

Edited by Marc Forrest
Social source share

Kev

Oh does Bobby Kline "Say something nice" fit the criteria cos I remember a time when there was a few kicking about, or was it the same copies being sold and resold

I would have tended to agree with you Kev but again I was corrected and told that this was never ever really rare, just tucked away until the big re-activating hype began about ten years ago.

Social source share

Ive only been 3 LMW on Palladium on the bay.thats not lots is it

but Williams III copy yes a few in poor nick

gasher

I must be missing all these copies.....I reckon this is still a rare piece, isn't it?

Is the Palladium label kosher?

Social source share

It was actually a 'give away' because he thought he could get some more not because there were lots of them - he never did!! - does not have a copy himself :D

Mike

yeah thats right . It went HUGE at the Upnorth Promotions weekender 1988 , as he gave it to virtually every DJ there . He could of sold 300 within an hour :thumbup:

He was expecting a few boxes I sure . ph34r.gif

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

yep its kosher and a better quality vinyl recording..but the 3 copies have beem over 3 years

Been told different stories..a mate was told from a band memeber it was first released on Palladium and

LMW repressed the Williams III copies to make some dosh on the side?

who knows..probably a crock. But I had both kept palladium one.

gasher

I must be missing all these copies.....I reckon this is still a rare piece, isn't it?

Is the Palladium label kosher?

Social source share

yeah but remember its been bootlegged.

the boots have been sold on the bay and passed off as originals..two different labels.

althought Identical but not if you know what I mean..paper is wrong on the boot and the colour of the writing/texrt/font is also wrong..shiny silver is the boot the matt black rough paper label and dull silver tpye is the original.APPARENTLY:unsure:

MINE WAS THE LATTER..GASHER

I'd say The Oxford Nights was a textbook example Dave.
Social source share

yeah but remember its been bootlegged.

the boots have been sold on the bay and passed off as originals..two different labels.

althought Identical but not if you know what I mean..paper is wrong on the boot and the colour of the writing/texrt/font is also wrong..shiny silver is the boot the matt black rough paper label and dull silver tpye is the original.APPARENTLY:unsure:

MINE WAS THE LATTER..GASHER

Never seen a boot Gash, all the ones that the guy was selling on ebay were kosher. He had loads of other stuff on the label as well. Think they came from the label owner?

Phil.

Social source share

sound file?????????????

gasher

Can't do soundfiles but just played it again and think it has zero potential as a Northern record. Uptempo but not great: a bit like a watered-down version of "Tear Stained Face" without the breaks, menace and attack which made that record a classic. "Rainbow Road" on the other hand is still one of the most essential of all deep records and the greatest of all Quin Ivy productions. A true masterpiece.

On a related note a lot of the classic deep rarities have been de-rarified by ebay over the years. Thomas Bailey on Federal, Jimmy Braswell on King and a host of others all seem to appear regularly now whereas a decade ago they were rarely offered for sale: prices are still relatively high but I would guess they don't necessarily need to be.

Social source share

Can't do soundfiles but just played it again and think it has zero potential as a Northern record. Uptempo but not great: a bit like a watered-down version of "Tear Stained Face" without the breaks, menace and attack which made that record a classic. "Rainbow Road" on the other hand is still one of the most essential of all deep records and the greatest of all Quin Ivy productions. A true masterpiece.

On a related note a lot of the classic deep rarities have been de-rarified by ebay over the years. Thomas Bailey on Federal, Jimmy Braswell on King and a host of others all seem to appear regularly now whereas a decade ago they were rarely offered for sale: prices are still relatively high but I would guess they don't necessarily need to be.

only one of the 2 TB's on federal though.

other one still seems nearly impossible IMO.

Social source share

How about "love stormy weather" ? rare as hell at one point, seen quite a few go through ebay over the years reasonably cheap??

Wasnt Sy Hightower classed as mega rare in the old Thorne days? now you can get one for the price of 2 Ruby Andrews'!! :huh:

Social source share

is that your assesment of "some kind of wonderful" ?

i'd have to disagree its so much better than a lot of stuff that gets played and would make a great northern tune IMO.

do agree on tear stained face though its amazing.

Social source share

I've played it out, Dylan.

Much prefer the flipside though, and although a handful have gone through in the past 18 months I think it continues to be quite a difficult number.

Will always be very desirable, for those in the know! :thumbup:

:huh:

Sean

With you on that one mate, 'Rainbow rd' is a 10 in anybodys book :thumbsup:

Social source share

Isn't there a Braswell on Gene too?

Mulf:

Jimmie Braswell on Gene is the same record. The King release is dubbed from it and given a James Brown credit, despite him having very little to do with it I suspect. The Gene copy is still very rare.

Dylan:

I've listened to "Something Wonderful" again and can see where you're coming from. Must get a Don Varner one of these days.

Social source share

Mulf:

Jimmie Braswell on Gene is the same record. The King release is dubbed from it and given a James Brown credit, despite him having very little to do with it I suspect. The Gene copy is still very rare.

Dylan:

I've listened to "Something Wonderful" again and can see where you're coming from. Must get a Don Varner one of these days.

I think to get don varner either of us would have to realy splash the cash. Sad but true.

and not aimed at you gareth but to answer anoither question above....

jimmie braswell did 2 on gene

the king record originally came out on gene and also "one more chance" which I never saw in years of looking then prehaps 5 or 6 copies have gone through ebay in mroe recent time. I've been outbid on at least 4 of them.

Social source share

I think to get don varner either of us would have to realy splash the cash. Sad but true.

and not aimed at you gareth but to answer anoither question above....

the king record originally came out on gene and also "one more chance" which I never saw in years of looking then prehaps 5 or 6 copies have gone through ebay in mroe recent time. I've been outbid on at least 4 of them.

Indeed Dylan. Much like the Soul Brothers Six on Lyndell I'd only really want the other Jimmie Braswell on Gene for completist purposes and refuse to break the bank for either: that's probably why they always elude me. I very much think that the market for records like these is fairly small, and once a few key players have sorted themselves out with copies there are then bargains to be had.

The one deep rarity that never seems to turn up on ebay or anywhere else for that matter is Eugene Evans "Too Much Pain" on Hollywood. I'd love to be proved wrong but I think it's one of the very rarest of all soul records on a known label.

Social source share

Can't do soundfiles but just played it again and think it has zero potential as a Northern record. Uptempo but not great: a bit like a watered-down version of "Tear Stained Face" without the breaks, menace and attack which made that record a classic.

You got me worried...better go and play 'Something wonderful' again...I'm back and suprised, as to my ears it is defo what I would consider to be Northern Soul...and totally scene-playable!?

It is awesome danceable Soul...powerful production and performance...stunning brasswork throughout including a instrumental break...spot-on vocal and a decent enough lyric. Agreed it is not a 'Tear stained face' soundalike as it hasn't got dreadful sceaching backing vocals (never really got on with them!), but c'mon it has the Northernsoul-o-meter needles peaking quite nicely in the positive...surely?!

:)

Social source share

You got me worried...better go and play 'Something wonderful' again...I'm back and suprised, as to my ears it is defo what I would consider to be Northern Soul...and totally scene-playable!?

It is awesome danceable Soul...powerful production and performance...stunning brasswork throughout including a instrumental break...spot-on vocal and a decent enough lyric. Agreed it is not a 'Tear stained face' soundalike as it hasn't got dreadful sceaching backing vocals (never really got on with them!), but c'mon it has the Northernsoul-o-meter needles peaking quite nicely in the positive...surely?!

:yes:

Agreed David,

And (thanks to you) I now have a white Tower copy up for grabs!

Sean

Social source share

Agreed David,

And (thanks to you) I now have a white Tower copy up for grabs!

Sean

Sean & Dave: I respect both of you enormously as men of great taste but we'll just have to disagree on this one, I'm afraid.

Nice to have it on Canadian, though, as the styrene on the Tower copies is pretty low grade. As to whether it exists on a Tower issue I have a pretty strong recollection of Pat Brady offering one for sale some years ago. Must be pretty rare.

Social source share

The one deep rarity that never seems to turn up on ebay or anywhere else for that matter is Eugene Evans "Too Much Pain" on Hollywood. I'd love to be proved wrong but I think it's one of the very rarest of all soul records on a known label.

I've never seen it on ebay, suppose they're all tucked away on shelves in Japan. Then again I don't remember seeing "One Hurt" either.

Social source share

Sean & Dave: I respect both of you enormously as men of great taste but we'll just have to disagree on this one, I'm afraid.

Respect all round :)

Out of interest, would y'all consider Don Varner's 'Sweetest story' to be Northern? (By the way, I know you may be interested to learn that I found a third label variant to that one recently...a WD with the logo (East Coast)...to go alongside the Mid-West press WD with no logo (italic font Quinvy) and the West Coast styrene grey label with logo demo. Full house!).

Of course the best thing is Jocko can now buy Sean's spare Tower 45! :yes:

Edited by Anoraks Corner
Social source share

Nice to have it on Canadian, though, as the styrene on the Tower copies is pretty low grade. As to whether it exists on a Tower issue I have a pretty strong recollection of Pat Brady offering one for sale some years ago. Must be pretty rare.

Yes, Gareth, I've seen a Brown / Red issue too.

Could have been Pats. :yes:

On the "Wonderful" side.... clearly never gonna be a Northern MONSTER but certainly worth a spin or two - especially when you consider a lot of what does get played :yes: .

Its a bit of a bonus track on the back of the marvellous 'Rainbow Road' 45... I think we'd all agree. :D

Sean

Social source share

As to whether it exists on a Tower issue I have a pretty strong recollection of Pat Brady offering one for sale some years ago. Must be pretty rare.

Yes, Gareth, I've seen a Brown / Red issue too.

Could have been Pats. :)

I'd definately like to see one of those........... and I'd make a nice space for it to slip into.

Edited by John Reed
Social source share

not to forget his great and relatively cheap Jarval 45 which is sheer brilliant and has opened the last I don`t know maybe twenty Hip City events over here.

Which Jimmy Braswell 45 did manship had twice up for auction Gene 220 or Gene 222 ? Still need both by the way if anyone has a spare..

Marc

Social source share

status quo with new additions

Little Tommy SOS

Jackey Beavers "I Need My Baby"

Clara Hardy on Tuna

Dwight Franklin Foxie Lila

Bill Brandon on Tower

Al Williams on Palmer

Four Tracks on Mandingo

Jimmy Delphs "Dancing A Hole In The World" Demo

Sage on Head

Gene Toones Simco Demo

Joe Jama Optimum

Montclairs Hey You

Jackie Day Naughty Boy

Carmelita on Carmen

Percy Stone on Ram

Cashmeres HEM

Cautions No Other Way

Troy Dodds Try My Love

Royal Esquires

(Lil`Major Williams on Palladium)

Williams III

Sam Williams Tower

Arthur Freeman Jumbo and Fame

Melvin Davis Ke Ke

Lawanda Williams Ke Ke

Brooks Bros

New Yorkers

Jock Mitchell

Otis Lee

Mary Saxton

Jesse Johnson

September Jones

Jesse Davis - Era

Paris

Ivorys

Celebrities

Johnny Mae Mathews "I Have No Choice"

Tommy & The Derbys

Frederick Hymes

New World We`re Gonna Make It

Curtis Anderson "The Hardest Part"

Oxford Nights Delphi

Sy Hightower

Social source share

not to forget his great and relatively cheap Jarval 45 which is sheer brilliant and has opened the last I don`t know maybe twenty Hip City events over here.

Which Jimmy Braswell 45 did manship had twice up for auction Gene 220 or Gene 222 ? Still need both by the way if anyone has a spare..

Marc

I've always expected the jarval to go up in price but it hasn't yet.......

Social source share

..here´s another addition, Liz Verdi. Remember when I bought my copy off Anglo beginning of 2000 it stated on the sleeve "first copy we ever had for sale". since then there`s been some serious amount on ebay. But only ever one issue.

yes, no, yes, no but yes ?

Marc

Social source share

Respect all round thumbup.gif

Out of interest, would y'all consider Don Varner's 'Sweetest story' to be Northern? (By the way, I know you may be interested to learn that I found a third label variant to that one recently...a WD with the logo (East Coast)...to go alongside the Mid-West press WD with no logo (italic font Quinvy) and the West Coast styrene grey label with logo demo. Full house!).

Of course the best thing is Jocko can now buy Sean's spare Tower 45! :P

Yes I would defo consider it Northern, in fact I am off to look for and take it to Cleggy to spin upstairs on Saturday, Diamond one worth a spin too, okay not straight ahead Northern, but some would say the obsession with formula NS has killed the fun :D:ohmy:

And am I missing something re the WD Sean? Give me a ring if you have one mate, although would depend on current price, I am a poor banker after all!!

Social source share

Guest lotusland

This thread is interesting but ridiculously putting 45s that 2 or 3 copies have been put up on eBay within 10 years time right next to records that have been up 2-3 times A MONTH for the last decade. Come on.

You're right on with the New World's/ etc. but Lil Major Williams? Richard Paradise? seriously. what is it like 100 copies compared to 2?

Social source share

This thread is interesting but ridiculously putting 45s that 2 or 3 copies have been put up on eBay within 10 years time right next to records that have been up 2-3 times A MONTH for the last decade. Come on.

You're right on with the New World's/ etc. but Lil Major Williams? Richard Paradise? seriously. what is it like 100 copies compared to 2?

I agree.

If a record has a set sale price and goes on a set sales list 20 times, it usually doesn't make this list as easy as these ebay police seem to notice compared to it hitting ebay a couple of times in the same time period.

I always thought supply and demand is what drives a market, rarity being secondary...If demand is dropping, as well as prices, what's next then?

I bought a Twans on Ebay awhile back for $200....So now ALL copies are only worth that, after all, I've seen it on ebay 3 more times since....? That's the kind of vibe this thread is getting....just ridiculous.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert