"de-rarified" Over The Years Thru Ebay ?

lotusland

Posted 14 June 2009 - 08:17 PM

"This thread is interesting but ridiculously putting 45s that 2 or 3 copies have been put up on eBay within 10 years time right next to records that have been up 2-3 times A MONTH for the last decade. Come on.

You're right on with the New World's/ etc. but Lil Major Williams? Richard Paradise? seriously. what is it like 100 copies compared to 2? "

You are right. Thats why it is an open public discussion. If you think LilMajor Williams and Richard Paradise should not be included just say so. I always asked for other opinions before anything was / is getting added to the list.

Richard Paradise wasn`t added at all so far anyway, as I personally don`t consider the fact that two of the most agile persons on the scene had "some" copies for sale reason enough to call the title "de-rarifeied" by any means at all.

Whom out of the two nice fellas at Lotusland am I talking to right now by the way ?

Social source share

• Replies 167
  • Views 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest lotusland

It's Andy. hey Marc

ok, then. my opinion is the Paradise should not be on. not only because so very few came up but also because eBay had very little to do with that record. all private sales save one or two.

Major Williams is just rare as hell, 5x on popsike in 10+years (both labels included) and not a minter among them. band is found and no copies. that is a good investment piece, not ruined by any measure. and I don't have one so I'm being reasonable here!

many of the titles that go for big bucks these days are obviously not in the upper echelon of rarity. they just have that special mixture of being pretty rare combined with club-playablity. that = big bucks. demand drives the price and big dancefloor response drives demand, so hey.

someone should figure out which soul 45 has sold the most copies for over $1000 usd / 1000GBP/ etc. i'm not enough of a popsike wizard to do it, maybe one of you guys? that would be interesting.

last thing * my prediction for next-uber-rarity-to-be-turned-into-a-$400/$500 record-2009 *

2nd Resurrection on STANSON.

these KEEP coming up. good thing too cause i want one!

Social source share

lotusland

Posted 14 June 2009 - 08:17 PM

"This thread is interesting but ridiculously putting 45s that 2 or 3 copies have been put up on eBay within 10 years time right next to records that have been up 2-3 times A MONTH for the last decade. Come on.

You're right on with the New World's/ etc. but Lil Major Williams? Richard Paradise? seriously. what is it like 100 copies compared to 2? "

You are right. Thats why it is an open public discussion. If you think LilMajor Williams and Richard Paradise should not be included just say so. I always asked for other opinions before anything was / is getting added to the list.

Richard Paradise wasn`t added at all so far anyway, as I personally don`t consider the fact that two of the most agile persons on the scene had "some" copies for sale reason enough to call the title "de-rarifeied" by any means at all.

Whom out of the two nice fellas at Lotusland am I talking to right now by the way ?

Hey Marc,

Are you coming to NYC in August for Pomonkey and Honky's weekender? I'm on for sure, flight is booked. Hope you're coming too....

Social source share

i think the marion stewart was in the west coast find( all west coast blue issues) not so much ebay as theres always been a trickle on there. do agree its not as rare as it was and youd probably struggle to sell one for £300 but then again ebay has made some tunes (jack montgomery scepter and just loving you , ruby etc) really common in 2009 compared to what they were pre ebay days

dave

Edited by dave pinch
Social source share

It's Andy. hey Marc

ok, then. my opinion is the Paradise should not be on. not only because so very few came up but also because eBay had very little to do with that record. all private sales save one or two.

Major Williams is just rare as hell, 5x on popsike in 10+years (both labels included) and not a minter among them. band is found and no copies. that is a good investment piece, not ruined by any measure. and I don't have one so I'm being reasonable here!

many of the titles that go for big bucks these days are obviously not in the upper echelon of rarity. they just have that special mixture of being pretty rare combined with club-playablity. that = big bucks. demand drives the price and big dancefloor response drives demand, so hey.

someone should figure out which soul 45 has sold the most copies for over $1000 usd / 1000GBP/ etc. i'm not enough of a popsike wizard to do it, maybe one of you guys? that would be interesting.

last thing * my prediction for next-uber-rarity-to-be-turned-into-a-$400/$500 record-2009 *

Andy

keep in mind that there are two distinct issues of Second Resurrection. The "Stanson Record Company" variant seems to be far, far rarer than the "Stanson" one, which was sold in small quantities by a few British dealers as a relatively new release. It will be interesting to see if the rarer one (presumably the original, local press of the 45) is prised from Californian homes and collections by high figures achieved in ebay sales.

Edited by garethx
Social source share

It's Andy. hey Marc

Hi Andy, so then its a no for the list for RP and MW

Marc

Social source share

i think the marion stewart was in the west coast find( all west coast blue issues) not so much ebay as theres always been a trickle on there. do agree its not as rare as it was and youd probably struggle to sell one for £300 but then again ebay has made some tunes (jack montgomery scepter and just loving you , ruby etc) really common in 2009 compared to what they were pre ebay days

dave

Hi Dave, your right on Marion Stewart, but were Jack Montgomery (normal issue not the miss-spelt one) and Ruby Andrews really THAT rare anyhow before ebay ? I doubt it somehow...

Social source share

New up date

Little Tommy SOS

Jackey Beavers "I Need My Baby"

Clara Hardy on Tuna

Dwight Franklin Foxie Lila

Bill Brandon on Tower

Al Williams on Palmer

Four Tracks on Mandingo

Jimmy Delphs "Dancing A Hole In The World" Demo

Sage on Head

Gene Toones Simco Demo

Joe Jama Optimum

Montclairs Hey You

Jackie Day Naughty Boy

Carmelita on Carmen

Percy Stone on Ram

Cashmeres HEM

Cautions No Other Way

Troy Dodds Try My Love

Royal Esquires

Williams III

Sam Williams Tower

Arthur Freeman Jumbo and Fame

Melvin Davis Ke Ke

Lawanda Williams Ke Ke

Brooks Bros

New Yorkers

Jock Mitchell

Otis Lee

Mary Saxton

Jesse Johnson

September Jones

Jesse Davis - Era

Paris

Ivorys

Celebrities

Johnny Mae Mathews "I Have No Choice"

Tommy & The Derbys

Frederick Hymes

New World We`re Gonna Make It

Curtis Anderson "The Hardest Part"

Oxford Nights Delphi

Sy Hightower

Liz Verdi

Major Williams taken off the list by common agreement

Edited by Marc Forrest
Social source share

Hi Dave, your right on Marion Stewart, but were Jack Montgomery (normal issue not the miss-spelt one) and Ruby Andrews really THAT rare anyhow before ebay ? I doubt it somehow...

thats right marc. lets reminice for a moment as to what i was getting at. remember the days b4 ebay, internet, mobile phones etc. In the mid 80s when i was chasing the likes of jack montgomery, just lovin you etc all i had (same as most i suspect) to go on were my visits to niters. and getting lists thru the post and making calls from phone boxes if at work for my vinyl sometimes getting knocked back by a ` oh its gone dave`. sad.gif so it took me a couple of months to track down those 45s. in those days it took months or even years to track down tunes that today, sometimes coz they have found sources but and heres my point the internet, the bigest record box ever has given us better acess to records. making lots of records (like the two mentioned in my post) as easy to obtain than buying a new cd from hmv. i know they wern`t that rare we just had limited options in those days

dave

bentinck back room 19th june

Social source share

Guest lotusland

Andy

keep in mind that there are two distinct issues of Second Resurrection. The "Stanson Record Company" variant seems to be far, far rarer than the "Stanson" one, which was sold in small quantities by a few British dealers as a relatively new release. It will be interesting to see if the rarer one (presumably the original, local press of the 45) is prised from Californian homes and collections by high figures achieved in ebay sales.

Well, for one, both of those presses were 'original, local' presses. One was just picked up by Anderson + co. and one wasn't. Merely a coincidence as to which and I don't think it proves that one run is bigger or smaller than the other, or which was first. It only proves which one a small quantity were in the UK of.

As for trivia on this release, the band (also known as 6 Degree South and Joe Tex's Second Resurrection Band) , or most of them, never knew that ANY version of these songs saw the light of day. And of course 'SMOKE IN THE DISCO' was the tune they went in to do, and 'Daylight' was just an afterthought!

Social source share

Well, for one, both of those presses were 'original, local' presses. One was just picked up by Anderson + co. and one wasn't. Merely a coincidence as to which and I don't think it proves that one run is bigger or smaller than the other, or which was first. It only proves which one a small quantity were in the UK of.

As for trivia on this release, the band (also known as 6 Degree South and Joe Tex's Second Resurrection Band) , or most of them, never knew that ANY version of these songs saw the light of day. And of course 'SMOKE IN THE DISCO' was the tune they went in to do, and 'Daylight' was just an afterthought!

did you get a photo from them? if so it would be cool to see it

Social source share

It's Andy. hey Marc

Tend to agree with above views and mike v's,there are certainly 45's on the list that really don't belong on there.. i ain't never been on popsike nor do i have time to look at how many of certain 45's have been on the bay, i guess the better titles that go through the bay would've found there way over here but hidden from the masses in private deals to buyers or by the now seemingly prehistoric sales lists by mail .either way these choice items have massive publicity and exposure due to ebay or excellent sites like our very own soul source.In reality too much paranoia and panic over number of copies of 45's ,a 25 copy record is still bloody rare !

Social source share

Tend to agree with above views and mike v's,there are certainly 45's on the list that really don't belong on there.. here but hidden from the masses in private deals to buyers or by the now seemingly prehistoric sales lists by mail....either way these choice items have massive publicity and exposure due to ebay or excellent sites like our very own soul source.In reality too much paranoia and panic over number of copies of 45's ,a 25 copy record is still bloody rare !

Tend to agree with most of that and ask everybody to say which titles they think should not be on the list.

Having said that, the initial idea was and still is about titles that before ebay and the rest of the net have been "...hidden from the masses in private deals to buyers or by the now seemingly prehistoric sales lists by mail..." or have been sold only to the "choosen few" = resulting in normal collectors having had zero chance to buy them.

Another good example maybe Nelson Sanders "Mojo Man" Rambler. Before ebay impossible reocrd now one up every two months. Last one finfished by 250 USD sth by the way....

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

QUOTE (garethx @ Jun 11 09, 04:50 PM) As to whether it exists on a Tower issue I have a pretty strong recollection of Pat Brady offering one for sale some years ago. Must be pretty rare.QUOTE (Sean Hampsey @ Jun 11 09, 05:17 PM) Yes, Gareth, I've seen a Brown / Red issue too.

Could have been Pats. g.gif

I'd definately like to see one of those........... and I'd make a nice space for it to slip into.

Ain't she pretty! :lol:

post-9555-1246640228243.jpg

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert