"de-rarified" Over The Years Thru Ebay ?

Just noticed that a mint copy of Little Tommy closed yesterday at only 822 USD which equals about only 500 UKP. Now as this used to be an impossible want for me from 1988 when I first heard it till when I got what must have been one of the very first copies of this tune that went thru ebay around 1999/2000 this is to me just one example of 45s that used to carry the tag "impossible", "too expensive" etc which over the years and because of ebay really seem to have become much more widely available and because of that defnitely have lost their so-called stardom of being" impossibles" or "only for the choosen few" etc. Some still demand a high price others not.

I am sure current economic situation plays its part but I am not so much interested in decreased values and prices in general anyway in this thread, I am much more interested in records that people were thinkin were actually "really rare" but ebay or the net in general prooved them/us wrong.

I am starting off with Little Tommy and will add Jackey Beavers "I Need My Baby" and of course the infamous Clara Hardy on Tuna. I am sure there are loads of other titels to be added...anyone ?

Marc

You dont need e bay - they did this with Betty Lloyd and Vince Apollo before we even had computers !

This month I have bought a Dean Courtney (love) you just cant walk away / Glen Miller - where is the love / George Freeman - Down and out (for the third time)/ Velvelettes - lonley loney girl am .................. less than 300 quid for the lot

Imagine that 5 years ago mate ????

Sorry but rare record prices are on a big downturn price wise and the more desirable bits are becoming available to scum like me - same as houses !

cause it was all over inflated bollocks in the first place !

Too fucking bad !

When I loose my Job I will sell all my shit aswell !

Peace !

Edited by mossy
Social source share

• Replies 167
  • Views 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

only if you are in the know obviously..who ,where and when??

until Im offered one I one

it will take it as BS

gasher

Is this true that someone has found 15 copys of George Pepp ?

:rolleyes: That was a joke ! Sorry Gash !

Social source share

"So are these records now considered to be not really that good anymore, or to a certain extent frowned upon as a few copies have turned up?"

If that is whats being suggested then its a very sad day and only proves that people want these records as trophies as opposed to actually liking them - heaven forbid!

And putting records like the Tranells in a list with things that have OBVIOUSLY turned up in LARGE quantity (ie Clara Hardy) doesn't make sense either.

Lets get a grip practically all of the records mentioned here are in no way easy to come buy, and certainly not cheap! I doubt the proles will be wandering around with pockets stuffed full of Tranells & Magnetics..... :thumbsup::lol:

Surely ebay would have to be saturated before we can say a previously super rare records can no longer be considered rare any more, and therefore supposedly a bit shit?

Edited by mulf
Social source share

Tommy & The Derbys on Swing

Lil' Major Williams both labels

Though mostly seen in rough condition (goes for both Tommy & Lil Major).

I am not so sure on Tommy & The Derbys as I recall only four copies on ebay which doesn`t make it really de-rarified in comparison to say the 30 plus copies we have seen of Joe Jama ?

Marc

Social source share

Has tolbert been mentioned :thumbsup:

not so sure on that one, two maybe three over all the years ? Same goes for Buddy Cantrell, maybe four-five including three from the very same dealer who didn`t had any more left to sell...doesn`t really make it a de-rarified item, does it ?

Social source share

I am not so sure on Tommy & The Derbys as I recall only four copies on ebay which doesn`t make it really de-rarified in comparison to say the 30 plus copies we have seen of Joe Jama ?

Marc

But it's a more recent hype and look at the rate... there's one on ebay every week it seems and it's steadily decreasing in price. Soon will have outnumbered Joe Jama. Sorry Marc.. :thumbsup:

Edited by Helena
Social source share

Chico Lamarr...

....Magnetics - Ra-sel

:thumbsup:

Chico Lamarr

Eric Mercury

Groovettes

Devotions

Volumes on Karen

Tranells

Andy Fisher

Magnetics - Ra-sel

Not so sure on the above I must say...can`t recall having seen more than say four to six of each of the above (some only two or three) in mint minus condition going thru ebay over the years ?

Marc

Edited by Marc Forrest
Social source share

Didn't realise there had been 30 copie sof Joe Jama! I still don't have one tho :lol::(:thumbsup:

About six LT's came from one guy from Virginia about four or five years ago. Then another couple appeared from the same area under a different seller I think?

Also, a few Ray & The Blue Satins have started to appear on ebay, but again, still a very hard record to obtain.

One that defintely seems to have retained super hard rarity is The Nomads...has it ever been for sale on ebay? (my Popsike membership has run out!)

Edited by mulf
Social source share

not so sure on that one, two maybe three over all the years ? Same goes for Buddy Cantrell, maybe four-five including three from the very same dealer who didn`t had any more left to sell...doesn`t really make it a de-rarified item, does it ?

Ok maybe your right on just ebay sales , as Wrighty just mentioned . But certainly more copies have turned up via multiple sources :thumbsup:

Social source share

But it's a more recent hype and look at the rate... there's one on ebay every week it seems and it's steadily decreasing in price. Soon will have outnumbered Joe Jama. :lol:

alright then fair enough, lets include this 45 into the list...

Little Tommy SOS

Jackey Beavers "I Need My Baby"

Clara Hardy on Tuna

Dwight Franklin Foxie Lila

Bill Brandon on Tower

Al Williams on Palmer

Four Tracks on Mandingo

Jimmy Delphs "Dancing A Hole In The World" Demo

Georgous George on Peachtree

SAGE on HEAD

Gene Toones Simco Demo

Joe Jama Optimum

Montclairs Hey You

Jackie Day Naughty Boy

Carmelita on Carmen

Percy Stone on Ram

Cashmeres HEM

Cautions No Other Way

Troy Dodds Try My Love

Royal Esquires

(Lil`Major Williams on Palladium)

Williams III

Sam Williams Tower

Arthur Freeman Jumbo and Fame

Melvin Davis Ke Ke

Lawanda Williams Ke Ke

Brooks Bros

New Yorkers

Jock Mitchell

Otis Lee

Mary Saxton

Jesse Johnson

September Jones

Jesse Davis - Era

Paris

Ivorys

Celebrities

Johnny Mae Mathews

Vondells

Tommy & The Derbys

...this list keeps on growing and growing...frightning :lol::D:lol::thumbsup:

Edited by Marc Forrest
Social source share

Didn't realise there had been 30 copie sof Joe Jama! I still don't have one tho :lol::lol::thumbsup:

even some more...

About six LT's came from one guy from Virginia about four or five years ago. Then another couple appeared from the same area under a different seller I think?

LT= Lester Tipton ?

Social source share

"LT= Lester Tipton ?"

sorry no little tommy, but lets add lester tipton too! :lol::thumbsup:

what about ralph soul jackson, eula cooper?

four voices?

locations?

Hi Mulf, Little Tommy started the whole thread off :lol: Lester Tipton is a "sorry but no" as I got it from the seller in eye-to-eye conversation that it was only the two he was given to sell on

Ralph Jackson On Soul Kat maybe yes but there have been some bootlegs being sold as originals..

For Voices / Green not that many really ?

Locations I would say yes...

Any other opinions ?

Social source share

"So are these records now considered to be not really that good anymore, or to a certain extent frowned upon as a few copies have turned up?"

If that is whats being suggested then its a very sad day and only proves that people want these records as trophies as opposed to actually liking them - heaven forbid!

And putting records like the Tranells in a list with things that have OBVIOUSLY turned up in LARGE quantity (ie Clara Hardy) doesn't make sense either.

Lets get a grip practically all of the records mentioned here are in no way easy to come buy, and certainly not cheap! I doubt the proles will be wandering around with pockets stuffed full of Tranells & Magnetics..... :thumbsup::lol:

Surely ebay would have to be saturated before we can say a previously super rare records can no longer be considered rare any more, and therefore supposedly a bit shit?

Good points mate, I suspect their is an attempted talk down of some prices on here to try and get the records they want, I support that heartily if that is the case. :lol:

And since Magnetics on RaSel is so common, but debatable here, I will bust the bank (still waiting on my Bill Brandon, cmon someone must want to get rid before the next deluge appears) and go to £200, which is £170 more than I paid for my last copy, bloody inflation!

Social source share

re Richard Paradise,

Butch and Andy had some . Also turned up as an LP and a 12

I may have inadvertantly misled on the 12"-I called my 5track ep with the 6min+ version a 12", as it looked the same as the eddie owens/billups "old Gold" 12", but I reckon this is what others are calling the album.

Social source share

there were a couple of copies of georgous george on peachtree on ebay as well a few years ago that seemed to lower the price considerably but I haven't seen one for quite a long time now.

what ever hapended to those ? prehaps it was only a small find ? I never got to the bottom of that one.

I seem to remember 2 copies of Georgous George & a copy of the Jimmy Church at about the same time.

But to put it on this list ? :thumbsup:

Social source share

I may have inadvertantly misled on the 12"-I called my 5track ep with the 6min+ version a 12", as it looked the same as the eddie owens/billups "old Gold" 12", but I reckon this is what others are calling the album.

Ahh right , I just noticed it on a search . :thumbsup:

Social source share

Here's a rather nice Canadian copy of Bill Brandon...the flipside is awesome Northern (same as the Tower flip).

Gotta be rare?!

I saw that on your site recently. Looks good wink.gif not seen it before until then.

I would always go for a US pressing first though if there is one.

Social source share

I seem to remember 2 copies of Georgous George & a copy of the Jimmy Church at about the same time.

But to put it on this list ? :thumbsup:

I think there were more than the 3 you mention. I got 2 of those and remember seeing at least a couple more.

but not seen any since so prehaps still very hard to find in both cases.

Social source share

Here's a rather nice Canadian copy of Bill Brandon...the flipside is awesome Northern (same as the Tower flip).

Gotta be rare?!

I saw that on your site recently. Looks good wink.gif not seen it before until then.

I would always go for a US pressing first though if there is one.

Has anone ever seen an issue of the tower release, as I've never seen one?

Social source share

Could be stating the obvious here, but I remember many moons ago, at the birth of the internet, Rod Dearlove stating to the effect of that it would blow the whole thing wide open (record trading). Its certainly made the world substantially smaller so if you consider when you had to buy all of those record collectors magazines (Discoveries etc) and read every word printed in them as to leave no stone unturned in the hope of finding something, now is all you have to do is click a mouse, easier for the seller and the buyer, the result being perhaps far less stuff hidden away.

Kev

Oh does Bobby Kline "Say something nice" fit the criteria cos I remember a time when there was a few kicking about, or was it the same copies being sold and resold

Social source share

FASCINATORS??????????? THIS SURELY HASN`T BEEN ON EBAY IN ANY QUANTITY. I MUST HAVE MISSED SOMETHING

DAVE

BENTINCK BACKROOM 19TH JUNE

No you haven`t Dave...not that many on bay over the years. And most in very varying conditions. Nth for this little list of ours.

Marc

Social source share

Good points mate, I suspect their is an attempted talk down of some prices on here to try and get the records they want, I support that heartily if that is the case. biggrin.gif

definitley not my attempt mate as there are already some items in the list that I own myself. Wouldn`t make any sense to talk down their values, would it ? I believe this stated fact is proof enough for the honesty in my attempt :thumbsup: ?

Also I tried to make it clear from the start that I am not on about values or prices in general...only and just interested in a list of records that used to be thought of being ultra rare in a sense of nearly "impossible to get" whereas these days you could buy them comparatively easy in say a years time period off ebay for example. If you have the needed funds of course wink.gif

Marc

Edited by Marc Forrest
Social source share

Ive only been 3 LMW on Palladium on the bay.thats not lots is it

but Williams III copy yes a few in poor nick

gasher

Tommy & The Derbys on Swing

Lil' Major Williams both labels

Though mostly seen in rough condition (goes for both Tommy & Lil Major).

Edited by GASHER
Social source share

Ive only been 3 LMW on Palladium on the bay.thats not lots is it

but Williams III copy yes a few in poor nick

gasher

Now there are four... :thumbsup:

Though you're right, seen more of the Williams III. Don't put both labels in brackets Marc, just Palladium! Seen Williams III copies go for around $500 - that's a real price drop.

Edited by Helena
Social source share

Curtis Anderson was actually a give away record via Mick Charlton (circa 1988) . Thanks Mick biggrin.gif

so except for Simon who recieved every 45 he did not buy off Soul Bowl @ 3 UKP in the seventies as a give away in the eighties would anybody else say it doesn`t belong into this list :thumbsup: ?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert