"de-rarified" Over The Years Thru Ebay ?

Just noticed that a mint copy of Little Tommy closed yesterday at only 822 USD which equals about only 500 UKP. Now as this used to be an impossible want for me from 1988 when I first heard it till when I got what must have been one of the very first copies of this tune that went thru ebay around 1999/2000 this is to me just one example of 45s that used to carry the tag "impossible", "too expensive" etc which over the years and because of ebay really seem to have become much more widely available and because of that defnitely have lost their so-called stardom of being" impossibles" or "only for the choosen few" etc. Some still demand a high price others not.

I am sure current economic situation plays its part but I am not so much interested in decreased values and prices in general anyway in this thread, I am much more interested in records that people were thinkin were actually "really rare" but ebay or the net in general prooved them/us wrong.

I am starting off with Little Tommy and will add Jackey Beavers "I Need My Baby" and of course the infamous Clara Hardy on Tuna. I am sure there are loads of other titels to be added...anyone ?

Marc

Edited by Marc Forrest
Social source share

• Replies 167
  • Views 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

And Little Willie...about three now ? :lol:

On a more serious note, seeing your name involved with this thread all of a sudden I am reminded on Barbara St.Clair to be added possibly to the list ?

Narr , Babs was a £2 record at Soul Bowl . for decades . Its never been very rare biggrin.gif

Social source share

Lots of copies of Little Tommy have been through ebay, but i am still surprised at the money on that one given its condition. Its booked at £1000 (£300 too high i would of thought) but JM has always got much more money for it than that and had it for sale a number of times. Thats the cheapest i've seen it go (again considering condition) for about four years.

Others would be Al Williams on Palmer maybe?

Edited by mulf
Social source share

And Little Willie...about three now ? biggrin.gif

On a more serious note, seeing your name involved with this thread all of a sudden I am reminded on Barbara St.Clair to be added possibly to the list ?

Oh yeah theres quite a few Little Willies in Japan ya know :lol:

Social source share

Lots of copies of Little Tommy have been through ebay, but i am still surprised at the money on that one given its condition. Its booked at £1000 (£300 too high i would of thought) but JM has always got much more money for it than that and had it for sale a number of times. Thats the cheapest i've seen it go (again considering condition) for about four years.

Others would be Al Williams on Palmer maybe?

Yes, although after the thread on Soul Source not many more copies were sold in public...strangeley enough :lol:

Four tracks / Mandingo is another one that springs to my mind ?

Social source share

Also it depends on what you mean by 'de-rarified'? Little Tommy or Al Williams are not everyday records by any stretch (but certainly not in the rarity league of say Soul Inc or Little Stanley) however I think you would still need to do a fair bit of searching (or have deep pockets) to quickly come into possession of either of those records.

Social source share

Also it depends on what you mean by 'de-rarified'? Little Tommy or Al Williams are not everyday records by any stretch (but certainly not in the rarity league of say Soul Inc or Little Stanley) however I think you would still need to do a fair bit of searching (or have deep pockets) to quickly come into possession of either of those records.

By "de-rarified" I mean records that were near to impossible to get, which were for sale maybe only once every two or five years. Just really rare records that you nowadays could buy every month or say at least every six months if you get my point. Not talking about how much money you would need/how much they are worth.

Just really on about records that were thought of being dead rare but ebay and the internet proved the opposite.

Jimmy Delphs "Dancing A Hole In The World" is another good example...very very rare and then all of a sudden seven copies inbetween nine months on ebay alone. Still not an everyday record but yet by far not as impossible as thought...at least not as a demo :lol:

Social source share

Thanks for opening my ear to that beauty...what did it used to go for and how much is it now ?

i'm not sure on what prices it used to sell for as for a long time I never found a copy. Then suddenly they started to appear regulary and sell for around $150 or prehaps a touch less.

but still a fantastic double sider one of the great records to judge others against.

Social source share

there were a couple of copies of georgous george on peachtree on ebay as well a few years ago that seemed to lower the price considerably but I haven't seen one for quite a long time now.

what ever hapended to those ? prehaps it was only a small find ? I never got to the bottom of that one.

Social source share

I love the title of this thread, another Mr X classic!!

And can I just say long may it continue, nowhere near enough de-rarified for me yet!!

And as for Bill Brandon on tower, does this mean I can get one for £30 please, will take the first offer, remember it will probably be about a tenner in a few months thanks to the power of E-Bay....... :lol:

When the Quinvy one comes along let me know, I will stretch to £50 on that....................... :lol:whistling.gif

Social source share

there were a couple of copies of georgous george on peachtree on ebay as well a few years ago that seemed to lower the price considerably but I haven't seen one for quite a long time now.

what ever hapended to those ? prehaps it was only a small find ? I never got to the bottom of that one.

I don't remember who sold those specifically, but I am aware of a couple of small pockets of Peachtree finds over the past few years. One in Chattanooga and another in Atlanta. As I understand it, both of these stashes are gone.

Social source share

I don't remember who sold those specifically, but I am aware of a couple of small pockets of Peachtree finds over the past few years. One in Chattanooga and another in Atlanta. As I understand it, both of these stashes are gone.

I got jimmy church and GG from a guy whose ebay name I think contained chattanooga ??

sold the JC and that got me GG for free.

but now regret selling the JC as its awesome.

Social source share

And can I just say long may it continue, nowhere near enough de-rarified for me yet!!

And as for Bill Brandon on tower, does this mean I can get one for £30 please, will take the first offer, remember it will probably be about a tenner in a few months thanks to the power of E-Bay....... :lol:

When the Quinvy one comes along let me know, I will stretch to £50 on that....................... :lol:whistling.gif

tower 45 still not ever had its 15 mins of fame as a northern spin yet has it ?

Social source share

So far we seem to agree on the following then.... ?

Little Tommy SOS

Jackey Beavers "I Need My Baby"

Clara Hardy on Tuna

Dwight Franklin Foxie Lila

Bill Brandon on Tower

Al Williams on Palmer

Four Tracks on Mandingo

Jimmy Delphs "Dancing A Hole In The World" Demo

Georgous George on Peachtree

SAGE on HEAD

Gene Toones Simco Demo

Social source share

Yes, its great isn`t it LOL And you are right, there are still plenty enough titles (which I still don`t have) that are not yet de-rarified enough for that reason LOL !

Edited by Marc Forrest
Social source share

I've played it out, Dylan.

Much prefer the flipside though, and although a handful have gone through in the past 18 months I think it continues to be quite a difficult number.

Will always be very desirable, for those in the know! wink.gif

:lol:

Sean

Social source share

So far we seem to agree on the following then.... ?

Little Tommy SOS

Clara Hardy on Tuna

Bill Brandon on Tower

Al Williams on Palmer

Four Tracks on Mandingo

SAGE on HEAD

Gene Toones Simco Demo

Carmelita on Carmen

Percy Stone on Ram

Social source share

I am pretty sure it had at least some plays back in the Original Thorne days, then I did hear Rainbow Road for the first time at Thorne, imagine playing that out now!!

Also think I may have heard it at Lifeline weekend but certainly not a big play. Another one proving that quality doesn't always win!!

I've played it out, Dylan.

Much prefer the flipside though, and although a handful have gone through in the past 18 months I think it continues to be quite a difficult number.

Will always be very desirable, for those in the know! wink.gif

Sean

Oi you, just cause I disagreed in another thread, stop ruining my chance of getting this at Scottish price. :yes:

Social source share

So thats what we have so far:

Little Tommy SOS

Clara Hardy on Tuna

Bill Brandon on Tower

Al Williams on Palmer

Four Tracks on Mandingo

SAGE on HEAD

Gene Toones Simco Demo

Joe Jama Optimum

Montclairs Hey You

Jackie Day Naughty Boy

Carmelita on Carmen

Percy Stone on Ram

Cashmeres HEM

What about

Cautions No Other Way

Troy Dodds Try My Love

surely they can be added as well ?

Social source share

Montclairs - Hey You

Jackie Day - Naughty Boy

Motherfox - Fallen Into Love

Only joking on the Motherfox Simon & yes I know you got it from Soul Bowl for 25pence & 2 sherbet dips laugh.gif

Well actually Martin in 1986 that was the my most expensive buy from John at £50 . Me and Sam also went through Dave Thorleys Modern that day :yes:

A good day indeed . :lol:

ps. Why no Buddy Cantrell Marc ?

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

Chico Lamarr

Eric Mercury

Johnny Summers

Brooks Bros

New Yorkers

Jock Mitchelle

Groovettes

Magnetics - Ra-sel

Otis Lee

Mary Saxton

Jesse Johnson

Devotions

Volumes-Karen

September Jones

Arthur Freeman

Tranells

Andy Fisher

Jesse Davis - Era

Paris

Ivorys

Celebrities

Johnny Mae Mathews

Larry Wright

Vondells

Social source share

Chico Lamarr

Eric Mercury

Johnny Summers

Brooks Bros

New Yorkers

Jock Mitchelle

Groovettes

Magnetics - Ra-sel

Otis Lee

Mary Saxton

Jesse Johnson

Devotions

Volumes-Karen

September Jones

Arthur Freeman

Tranells

Andy Fisher

Jesse Davis - Era

Paris

Ivorys

Celebrities

Johnny Mae Mathews

Larry Wright

Vondells

:rolleyes:

i agree with some of these but disagree with others -- how many volumes on karen have actually gone through ebay? not many, maybe three? trannells? some of these have only been on ebay a few times, that doesn't make them "de-rarified", many of those have come up for sale outside of ebay more (e.g. on here). also, when there is a small find of something by one person (e.g. the celebrities), it's not really ebay that made the record suddenly less rare. i agree with many of these though -- there were many records that were out there and not coming up for sale that ebay brought out from people (maybe september jones for example).

Social source share

i agree with some of these but disagree with others -- how many volumes on karen have actually gone through ebay? not many, maybe three? trannells? some of these have only been on ebay a few times, that doesn't make them "de-rarified", many of those have come up for sale outside of ebay more (e.g. on here). also, when there is a small find of something by one person (e.g. the celebrities), it's not really ebay that made the record suddenly less rare. i agree with many of these though -- there were many records that were out there and not coming up for sale that ebay brought out from people (maybe september jones for example).

Sorry Bob, you are right.....I got carried away. Many of these not really ebay regulars, but just seem to be for sale often now. Also if you go out to nighters over here, every DJ seems to have a copy all of a sudden. :rolleyes:

Social source share

Melvin Davis on Ke Ke

La Wanda William on Ke Ke

this was another case of the keke / givhan label owner dumping copies on the public (via several detroit sellers). It wasn't a case of ebay making different sources coming out of the woodwork. I guess without ebay the label owner a) might not have known about the value and B) might not have had a way to sell the items, but it's still different than copies appearing out of different sources.

Social source share

Just noticed that a mint copy of Little Tommy closed yesterday at only 822 USD which equals about only 500 UKP. Now as this used to be an impossible want for me from 1988 when I first heard it till when I got what must have been one of the very first copies of this tune that went thru ebay around 1999/2000 this is to me just one example of 45s that used to carry the tag "impossible", "too expensive" etc which over the years and because of ebay really seem to have become much more widely available and because of that defnitely have lost their so-called stardom of being" impossibles" or "only for the choosen few" etc. Some still demand a high price others not.

I am sure current economic situation plays its part but I am not so much interested in decreased values and prices in general anyway in this thread, I am much more interested in records that people were thinkin were actually "really rare" but ebay or the net in general prooved them/us wrong.

I am starting off with Little Tommy and will add Jackey Beavers "I Need My Baby" and of course the infamous Clara Hardy on Tuna. I am sure there are loads of other titels to be added...anyone ?

Marc

Is this true that someone has found 15 copys of George Pepp ?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert