Vg Records At Ex Prices?

• Replies 17
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

A similar observation is that I can't believe what some people call EX.

Out of interest who is the adjudicator on grading cos there are so many intepretations .

I've had records graded low that are better than those graded high and vice versa.

I've had records off the "top dealers" that were listed as EX and played /looked sh**e when they arrived .

iv'e had a record described as UK EX that crackled for 30 seconds ,to be told UK grade in the book states this to be ok ohmy.gif

Ive recieved records off ebay that had scans that looked like glossy vinyl and arrived scuffed to f**k!

I sent a record to Japan listed m- and told it had the tiniest of heat damage and could he send it back ,i agreed and it was near as damn perfect :lol:

So just who is the real authority on grading ,where are the rules ?

i've never read em and grade as i see fit,and yes on the very odd occasion been questioned about it.

Social source share

Guest julesp1905

Out of interest who is the adjudicator on grading cos there are so many intepretations .

I've had records graded low that are better than those graded high and vice versa.

I've had records off the "top dealers" that were listed as EX and played /looked sh**e when they arrived .

iv'e had a record described as UK EX that crackled for 30 seconds ,to be told UK grade in the book states this to be ok ohmy.gif

Ive recieved records off ebay that had scans that looked like glossy vinyl and arrived scuffed to f**k!

I sent a record to Japan listed m- and told it had the tiniest of heat damage and could he send it back ,i agreed and it was near as damn perfect :lol:

So just who is the real authority on grading ,where are the rules ?

i've never read em and grade as i see fit,and yes on the very odd occasion been questioned about it.

https://www.recordcollectormag.com/ Condition guide: MINT (M) = The record itself is in brand new condition with no surface marks or deterioration in sound quality. The cover and any extra items such as the lyric sheet, booklet or poster are in perfect condition. Records advertised as Sealed or Unplayed should be Mint. EXCELLENT (EX) = The record shows some signs of having been played, but there is very little lessening in sound quality. The cover and packaging might have slight wear and/or creasing. VERY GOOD (VG) = The record has obviously been played many times, but displays no major deterioration in sound quality, despite noticeable surface marks and the occasional light scratch. Normal wear and tear on the cover or extra items, without any major defects, is acceptable. GOOD (G) = The record has been played so much that the sound quality has noticeably deteriorated, perhaps with some distortion and mild scratches. The cover and contents suffer from folding, scuffing of edges, spine splits, discoloration, etc.

RECORD COLLECTOR'S seems to be the normal used in the UK, Some people seem interested in grading records how they sound, It is just is just as important to grade the vinyl condition, we have all had records with clean labels with playing surface that look battered but play great, Some people seem to thing that this means EX

Social source share

https://www.recordcollectormag.com/ Condition guide: MINT (M) = The record itself is in brand new condition with no surface marks or deterioration in sound quality. The cover and any extra items such as the lyric sheet, booklet or poster are in perfect condition. Records advertised as Sealed or Unplayed should be Mint. EXCELLENT (EX) = The record shows some signs of having been played, but there is very little lessening in sound quality. The cover and packaging might have slight wear and/or creasing. VERY GOOD (VG) = The record has obviously been played many times, but displays no major deterioration in sound quality, despite noticeable surface marks and the occasional light scratch. Normal wear and tear on the cover or extra items, without any major defects, is acceptable. GOOD (G) = The record has been played so much that the sound quality has noticeably deteriorated, perhaps with some distortion and mild scratches. The cover and contents suffer from folding, scuffing of edges, spine splits, discoloration, etc.

RECORD COLLECTOR'S seems to be the normal used in the UK, Some people seem interested in grading records how they sound, It is just is just as important to grade the vinyl condition, we have all had records with clean labels with playing surface that look battered but play great, Some people seem to thing that this means EX

Thanx ,that would make those EX's i recieved off the major dealers GOOD g.gif:lol:

Social source share

Don't want to put this in sales but I can't believe the prices some people put on vg/vg+ records, I sell mint ones for those prices, vg should be at least 50% of the mint price, still best of luck!

I've been perusing a few sales lists as well and noticed the same. The thing is when the majority of records are listed as VG, I don't even bother to enquire after any on the list. As I get the impression that they'll all be knackered. Most of the time now I just buy off the same people, unlikely to try anyone new for fear of getting shafted :lol: .

Social source share

I have always found that if you grade conservatively, and offer a money back guarantee, there is never a problem.

Problems emerge when seemingly charming sellers, suddenly turn into absolute t**ts, if you ask for a refund on a 45 that you are not happy with. :lol:

If you are straight with people, grading is irrelevant.

Social source share

:lol: Hi Pete look at what I said about EBAY item:- 360155624976. that ended on 26th May, after a mate of mine went to the shop the record was hammerd JA styleie and still got £203.96, you can never tell what the value is on any thing? evan if you are warned about it ph34r.gif DAVE KIL
Social source share

Just on this subject ,

I have advertised in the wants section on here over the last six months for a few albums , a few of which have been three figure items ,

I cannot praise enough the honesty of some of the ss members re grading / condition in their replies , some of which ,when I've received the item to of been better grading than they've explained !

Probably two reasons for this , namely nobody wants whinging customers messaging them non stop , but more importantly nobody wants someone creating a thread and slagging them off !

Personally these blips are few and far between and this is a great site to do business on ,

:rolleyes:

Social source share

Just on this subject ,

I have advertised in the wants section on here over the last six months for a few albums , a few of which have been three figure items ,

I cannot praise enough the honesty of some of the ss members re grading / condition in their replies , some of which ,when I've received the item to of been better grading than they've explained !

Probably two reasons for this , namely nobody wants whinging customers messaging them non stop , but more importantly nobody wants someone creating a thread and slagging them off !

Personally these blips are few and far between and this is a great site to do business on ,

:rolleyes:

========

what about the eddie parker on ebay??

Social source share

Grading is a difficult art, but the seller had better be conservative about it or he'll run into problems. With many, or even most, records there are two differeng grades, the visual and the audio, and the seller absolutely needs to quote the lesser of the two. There's obviously no point calling a pristine looking record that nonetheless crackles "NM" - it's just not. I've had records that visually grade VG and sound much better; in an auction (where the proof is in the sound clip pudding, and sound clips are mandatory) I'll mention that it "sounds better", and to please listen to the clip - but it's still a VG record. The British "EX" seems, to me, to cover too wide a swathe; I try hard to make distinctions between VG+, VG++ and NM actually mean something. VG+ had better sound good in the clip, or it's not right grading it even that highly.

Social source share

Grading is a difficult art, but the seller had better be conservative about it or he'll run into problems. With many, or even most, records there are two differeng grades, the visual and the audio, and the seller absolutely needs to quote the lesser of the two. There's obviously no point calling a pristine looking record that nonetheless crackles "NM" - it's just not. I've had records that visually grade VG and sound much better; in an auction (where the proof is in the sound clip pudding, and sound clips are mandatory) I'll mention that it "sounds better", and to please listen to the clip - but it's still a VG record. The British "EX" seems, to me, to cover too wide a swathe; I try hard to make distinctions between VG+, VG++ and NM actually mean something. VG+ had better sound good in the clip, or it's not right grading it even that highly.

Like I said earlier, if you offer a money back guarantee, then there isn't a problem......simples.

Social source share

========

what about the eddie parker on ebay??

Haven't played the sound files but I found this bit in the item description quite amusing: "Vinyl in VG condition, with surface noise"

If it has surface noise I can't be graded as VG in my opinion. It's like saying "Record Near Mint apart from heavily worn label, massive w.o.l., deep scratches and countless jumps" :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert