101 Northern Soul Anthems

Guest miff

Guest miff

Thats it, we are now officially, mainstream, stuck in an advert between episodes in Corro, along with a cd of party songs, beginning to think its time to call it a day, bad enough using Don Thomas to sell a credit cards, is nothing of our small little soul world not for sale to the masses :thumbsup:

Edited by miff
Social source share

• Replies 67
  • Views 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Thats it, we are now officially, mainstream, stuck in an advert between episodes in Corro, along with a cd of party songs, beginning to think its time to call it a day, bad enough using Don Thomas to sell a credit cards, is nothing of our small little soul world not for sale to the masses :unsure:

JUST HEARD IT MESSEN MIFF, AND TOTALLY AGREE :thumbsup: .

BRI PINCH.

BENTINCK, BACK ROOM, 19TH JUNE.

Social source share

Thats it, we are now officially, mainstream, stock in an advert between episodes in Corro, along with a cd of party songs, beginning to think its time to call it a day, bad enough using Don Thomas to sell a credit card, is nothing of our small little soul world not for sale to the masses :thumbsup:

No

Werent all them dancers on the advert the same ones we ID'd for someone on here,i'll go get mine when the film comes out.

Edited by ken
Social source share

Thats it, we are now officially, mainstream, stuck in an advert between episodes in Corro, along with a cd of party songs, beginning to think its time to call it a day, bad enough using Don Thomas to sell a credit cards, is nothing of our small little soul world not for sale to the masses :thumbsup:

Miff,

We have been in the mainstream since around 1975,

This will not make the slightest bit of difference to the scene.

The plainest, least coolest people I work with have all heard of NS. This won't entice them to the Burnley all Nighter or the Torch Revival.

You can sleep easy.

Brian

Social source share

And here they are

Disc: 1 1. Dobie Gray - Out On The Floor 2. Don Thomas - Come On Train 3. Al Wilson - The Snake 4. The M.V.P.'s - Turnin' My Heartbeat Up 5. Chuck Woods - Seven Days Too Long 6. The Invitations - Skiing In The Snow 7. The Casualeers - Dance Dance Dance 8. Mel Britt - She'll Come Running Back 9. Tony Clarke - Landslide 10. Sandi Sheldon - You're Gonna Make Me Love You 11. Jackie Wilson - (Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher and Higher 12. Billy Butler - Right Track 13. Jerry Williams - If You Ask Me (Because I Love You) 14. Major Lance - You Don't Want Me No More 15. Roy Hamilton - Crackin' Up Over You 16. Little Anthony & The Imperials - Better Use Your Head 17. Bobby Paris - I Walked Away 18. Lainie Hill - Time Marches On 19. Shawn Robinson - My Dear Heart 20. Ila Vann Can't Help - Lovin' Dat Man 21. The Poets She Blew - A Good Thing 22. Darrell Banks - Open The Door To Your Heart 23. Willie Tee - Walkin' Up A One Way Street 24. Jimmy Radcliffe - Long After Tonight Is All Over 25. Tobi Legend - Time Will Pass You By 26. Dean Parrish - I'm On My Way Disc: 2 1. Mike Post Coalition - Afternoon Of The Rhino 2. Laura Greene - Moonlight Music And You 3. The Flirtations - Nothing But A Heartache 4. Robert Knight - Love On A Mountain Top 5. The Trammps - Hold Back The Night 6. William Bell - Happy 7. Archie Bell & The Drells - Here I Go Again 8. Millie Jackson - My Man, A Sweet Man 9. The Chiffons - Sweet Talkin' Guy 10. Frankie Valli - You're Ready Now 11. Bandwagon - Breakin' Down The Walls Of Heartache 12. The Newbeats - Run Baby Run 13. Little Anthony & The Imperials - Gonna Fix You Good (Every Time You're Bad) 14. Jay & The Americans - Livin' Above Your Head 15. Tami Lynn - I'm Gonna Run Away From You 16. Gloria Jones - Tainted Love 17. Showstoppers - Ain't Nothing But A House Party 18. Mitch Ryder & The Detroit Wheels - You Get Your Kicks 19. Homer Banks - A Lot Of Love 20. Rodger Collins - You Sexy Sugar Plum (But I Like It) 21. Jackie Wilson - I Get The Sweetest Feeling 22. Garnet Mimms - Looking For You 23. Kenny Lynch - Movin' Away 24. Timi Yuro - It'll Never Be Over For Me Disc: 3 1. Ike & Tina Turner - Dust My Broom 2. Larry Williams & Johnny Watson - Too Late 3. Judy Street - What 4. Epitome Of Sound - You Don't Love Me 5. Jack Montgomery - Dearly Beloved 6. Morris Chestnut - Too Darn Soulful 7. Alexander Patton - A Lil' Lovin' Sometimes 8. Bobby Sheen - Dr. Love 9. Earl Wright Orchestra - Thumb A Ride 10. Willie Mitchell - The Champion 11. Benny Spellman - Fortune Teller 12. Derek Martin - Breakaway 13. Herbie Goins & Nightimers - Number One in Your Heart 14. Richard Temple - That Beatin' Rhythm 15. The Fuzz - I'm So Glad 16. Maxine Brown - One In A Million 17. Fred Hughes - Baby Boy 18. Lou Ragland - I Travel Alone 19. Jerry Cook - I Hurt On The Other Side 20. Carl Douglas - Serving A Sentence Of Life 21. Danny Wagner & The Kindred Soul - I Lost A True Love 22. Spencer Wiggins - Let's Talk It Over 23. Roscoe Robinson - That's Enough 24. Gene Chandler - Nothing Can Stop Me 25. Gene McDaniels - Walk With A Winner Disc: 4 1. Doni Burdick - Bari Track 2. World Column - So Is The Sun 3. Mitch Ryder & The Detroit Wheels - Breakout 4. The Bob & Earl Band - My Little Girl 5. Bob Brady & The Con Chords - Everybody's Goin' To The Love-In 6. Levi Jackson - This Beautiful Day 7. Frankie & The Classicals - What Shall I Do 8. Cindy Scott - I Love You, Baby 9. Garnet Mimms - As Long As I Have You 10. Rufus Lumley - I'm Standing 11. Dean Parrish - Determination 12. Nancy Wilson - The End Of Our Love 13. Patrice Holloway - Love And Desire 14. Thelma Houston - Baby Mine 15. The Soul Sisters - Good Time Tonight 16. Jimmy Holiday & Clydie King - Ready, Willing And Able 17. Eddie & Ernie - (I Just Can't Leave You) 18. Don Varner - Tear Stained Face 19. Baltimore & Ohio Marching Band - Condition Red 20. Reggie Garner - Hot Line 21. The Group feat. Cecil Washington - I Don't Like To Lose 22. Sheila Anthony - Livin' In Love 23. Elbie Parker - Please Keep Away From Me 24. The Flirtations - Change My Darkness Into Light 25. Kenny Wells - Isn't It Just A Shame 26. Ray Pollard - The Drifter

Social source share

And here they are

Disc: 1 1. Dobie Gray - Out On The Floor 2. Don Thomas - Come On Train 3. Al Wilson - The Snake 4. The M.V.P.'s - Turnin' My Heartbeat Up 5. Chuck Woods - Seven Days Too Long 6. The Invitations - Skiing In The Snow 7. The Casualeers - Dance Dance Dance 8. Mel Britt - She'll Come Running Back 9. Tony Clarke - Landslide 10. Sandi Sheldon - You're Gonna Make Me Love You 11. Jackie Wilson - (Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher and Higher 12. Billy Butler - Right Track 13. Jerry Williams - If You Ask Me (Because I Love You) 14. Major Lance - You Don't Want Me No More 15. Roy Hamilton - Crackin' Up Over You 16. Little Anthony & The Imperials - Better Use Your Head 17. Bobby Paris - I Walked Away 18. Lainie Hill - Time Marches On 19. Shawn Robinson - My Dear Heart 20. Ila Vann Can't Help - Lovin' Dat Man 21. The Poets She Blew - A Good Thing 22. Darrell Banks - Open The Door To Your Heart 23. Willie Tee - Walkin' Up A One Way Street 24. Jimmy Radcliffe - Long After Tonight Is All Over 25. Tobi Legend - Time Will Pass You By 26. Dean Parrish - I'm On My Way Disc: 2 1. Mike Post Coalition - Afternoon Of The Rhino 2. Laura Greene - Moonlight Music And You 3. The Flirtations - Nothing But A Heartache 4. Robert Knight - Love On A Mountain Top 5. The Trammps - Hold Back The Night 6. William Bell - Happy 7. Archie Bell & The Drells - Here I Go Again 8. Millie Jackson - My Man, A Sweet Man 9. The Chiffons - Sweet Talkin' Guy 10. Frankie Valli - You're Ready Now 11. Bandwagon - Breakin' Down The Walls Of Heartache 12. The Newbeats - Run Baby Run 13. Little Anthony & The Imperials - Gonna Fix You Good (Every Time You're Bad) 14. Jay & The Americans - Livin' Above Your Head 15. Tami Lynn - I'm Gonna Run Away From You 16. Gloria Jones - Tainted Love 17. Showstoppers - Ain't Nothing But A House Party 18. Mitch Ryder & The Detroit Wheels - You Get Your Kicks 19. Homer Banks - A Lot Of Love 20. Rodger Collins - You Sexy Sugar Plum (But I Like It) 21. Jackie Wilson - I Get The Sweetest Feeling 22. Garnet Mimms - Looking For You 23. Kenny Lynch - Movin' Away 24. Timi Yuro - It'll Never Be Over For Me Disc: 3 1. Ike & Tina Turner - Dust My Broom 2. Larry Williams & Johnny Watson - Too Late 3. Judy Street - What 4. Epitome Of Sound - You Don't Love Me 5. Jack Montgomery - Dearly Beloved 6. Morris Chestnut - Too Darn Soulful 7. Alexander Patton - A Lil' Lovin' Sometimes 8. Bobby Sheen - Dr. Love 9. Earl Wright Orchestra - Thumb A Ride 10. Willie Mitchell - The Champion 11. Benny Spellman - Fortune Teller 12. Derek Martin - Breakaway 13. Herbie Goins & Nightimers - Number One in Your Heart 14. Richard Temple - That Beatin' Rhythm 15. The Fuzz - I'm So Glad 16. Maxine Brown - One In A Million 17. Fred Hughes - Baby Boy 18. Lou Ragland - I Travel Alone 19. Jerry Cook - I Hurt On The Other Side 20. Carl Douglas - Serving A Sentence Of Life 21. Danny Wagner & The Kindred Soul - I Lost A True Love 22. Spencer Wiggins - Let's Talk It Over 23. Roscoe Robinson - That's Enough 24. Gene Chandler - Nothing Can Stop Me 25. Gene McDaniels - Walk With A Winner Disc: 4 1. Doni Burdick - Bari Track 2. World Column - So Is The Sun 3. Mitch Ryder & The Detroit Wheels - Breakout 4. The Bob & Earl Band - My Little Girl 5. Bob Brady & The Con Chords - Everybody's Goin' To The Love-In 6. Levi Jackson - This Beautiful Day 7. Frankie & The Classicals - What Shall I Do 8. Cindy Scott - I Love You, Baby 9. Garnet Mimms - As Long As I Have You 10. Rufus Lumley - I'm Standing 11. Dean Parrish - Determination 12. Nancy Wilson - The End Of Our Love 13. Patrice Holloway - Love And Desire 14. Thelma Houston - Baby Mine 15. The Soul Sisters - Good Time Tonight 16. Jimmy Holiday & Clydie King - Ready, Willing And Able 17. Eddie & Ernie - (I Just Can't Leave You) 18. Don Varner - Tear Stained Face 19. Baltimore & Ohio Marching Band - Condition Red 20. Reggie Garner - Hot Line 21. The Group feat. Cecil Washington - I Don't Like To Lose 22. Sheila Anthony - Livin' In Love 23. Elbie Parker - Please Keep Away From Me 24. The Flirtations - Change My Darkness Into Light 25. Kenny Wells - Isn't It Just A Shame 26. Ray Pollard - The Drifter

Some nice stuff on there :D

Social source share

Guest soulmaguk

And here they are

ha ha ha , how did anyone ever like that roger collins? anyway, shouldn't this thread be moved to the Richard Searling thread!

Social source share

Thats it, we are now officially, mainstream, stuck in an advert between episodes in Corro, along with a cd of party songs, beginning to think its time to call it a day, bad enough using Don Thomas to sell a credit cards, is nothing of our small little soul world not for sale to the masses :D
:thumbup: Millie Jacksons house still has'nt sold even through the credit crunch :thumbsup: Yocky.
Social source share

Guest Mart B

And here they are

Not heard of any of em are they on OVO

Social source share

Miff,

The plainest, least coolest people I work with have all heard of NS. This won't entice them to the Burnley all Nighter or the Torch Revival.

You can sleep easy.

Brian

Right on brother, Keep the Faith :D

Social source share

Guest miff

Miff,

You can sleep easy.

Brian

I have never been part of the mainstream, never will, an advert for any thing northern soul on national tv is just 2 far, even if it is all the same old songs that folk on the mainstream know, dont forget it was the mainstream media that tried to close every allnighter that ran when these songs were upfront northern ,and we would of not considered ourselves mainsteam in any way shape or form, in those days, in fact , the fact that it wasnt mainstream one one of the things that got us into northern in the first place. Its just not right and unfortunaly anm not literate enough to get how deeply wrong I feel this is :D

Social source share

Miff,

You can sleep easy.

Brian

Sorry Brian but some of your statements make absolutely no sense at all, what nighters did you go to between 79 and 96 that were so overground everyone knew about.

I assume what you meant is everyone at your work has heard of Wigan Casino 74-77 and the British Legion type revival of the last few years.

The current nostalgia scene is getting exactly what it deserves, in both people and music, hope they are very happy togther.

You are not alone in your dislike Miff, there is still a decent amount of people agree, I, like most, just generally can't be assed with arguing the toss these days as it seems to be who shouts loudest with little facts in their argument gets most attention round here (and that is a general comment, not aimed at anyone on this thread, as yet....)

Social source share

Guest Bogue

Some nice stuff on there :ohmy:

:thumbsup::D Careful Phil !!!....they've only just re-opened this thread...look what happened to the last poor bird who said that :thumbup:

post-5566-1244492081_thumb.jpg

Social source share

As far as I am concerned the only people the cd will entice on to the scene are the likes of our own generation who for reasons only known to them left the scene back in the seventies and thought it was dead and buried,the amount of times people have heard my music at home or in the van and asked,is that still going? bloody hell etc etc.

Let's face it cd's were the only way most of us could collect these toons without shedding out loads of dosh,so I can't knock it.

What's been brought up already....they won't get out of there armchairs and from in front of there widescreen tv's,drive 200 odd miles thru God know's what weather and stay out 'til 8am like us clever gits,will they?

Edited by dancingcollector
Social source share

Thats it, we are now officially, mainstream, stuck in an advert between episodes in Corro, along with a cd of party songs, beginning to think its time to call it a day, bad enough using Don Thomas to sell a credit cards, is nothing of our small little soul world not for sale to the masses :D

Seems like a few corrie fans on here though

How cool is that :thumbsup:

Was on me Pc when the wife shouted me downstairs to marvel at the advert.............well that's my story and i'm sticking to it :thumbup:

Social source share

I am gobsmacked !!!! You all watch Coronation Street !!!! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest spudmurphy

miff in stockport in the 70s almost every youth club i went to played northern soul, these records are well known to a whole generation and thats who its aimed at so whats wrong with that.

Social source share

miff in stockport in the 70s almost every youth club i went to played northern soul, these records are well known to a whole generation and thats who its aimed at so whats wrong with that.

And a lot had either charted or were filling dance floors or both before 'Northern Soul' had been invented, :D

Social source share

And here they are

mm now let me see how many times have all these tracks already been released on cds over the years :D

Social source share

Guest miff

Its not the fact that the CD is out on release, Northern CDs can be brought on any high street in any town in the country, You can buy them on I tunes if you want, Its the fact that there being advertised on National TV thats done my head in, Its like a sell out, its all wrong, I feel violated, and all the things that I have held dear to me about this soul scene of ours has had its heart ripped out and sold to friging Tescos

Social source share

Its not the fact that the CD is out on release, Northern CDs can be brought on any high street in any town in the country, You can buy them on I tunes if you want, Its the fact that there being advertised on National TV thats done my head in, Its like a sell out, its all wrong, I feel violated, and all the things that I have held dear to me about this soul scene of ours has had its heart ripped out and sold to friging Tescos

It could be worse Miff. 35 years ago a crap group called Wigan's Ovation were in the charts with "Skiing In The Snow" and Northern Soul dancers were dancing to "Footsee" on Top Of The Pops - one of the most watched TV shows in the UK at the time. At least with this package the music's decent!

Ian D :D

Social source share

Guest miff

It could be worse Miff. 35 years ago a crap group called Wigan's Ovation were in the charts with "Skiing In The Snow" and Northern Soul dancers were dancing to "Footsee" on Top Of The Pops - one of the most watched TV shows in the UK at the time. At least with this package the music's decent!

Ian D biggrin.gif

Well when you put it like that, I guess i am over reacting, Thanks for putting me back on the ground and of my high horse laugh.gif this is gonna be a long night shift :D

Social source share

Well when you put it like that, I guess i am over reacting, Thanks for putting me back on the ground and of my high horse laugh.gif this is gonna be a long night shift ohmy.gif

Good man. As Brian said earlier, most of these sounds have long been in the UK's public domain.

You didn't have to have been 'on the scene' to be aware of many of them.

That era of 'Northern Soul' has been a British Pop Music phenomenon for around 35 years - ever since the Bay City Roller generation got on board.

The 'rare soul' scene itself still appears to be intact - not that it perturbs me either way. Personally, I'd love to see more people turned on to good music - and if Supermarkets and TV advertising are a suitable route or channel to market then why should we remain the 'privileged' few.

Every home should be into Darrell Banks, Major Lance, Garnett Mimms and Gene Chandler! :thumbup:

:D

Sean

Social source share

Guest miff

At last a sensible post biggrin.gif no over reaction just the truth, if it wasn´t for a few people(at the begining) spreading the faith we wouldn´t of had Christianity ohmy.gif now look at our wonderful world!

Bring on volume two!

Steve

Ps.Marc Forrest...Wheres the Tescos in Berlin mate?

Totally lost on the relevence of this post :D

Social source share

You may get a few curious folks looking in at some events, and some may stay, some may not.

Can't be bad if some new faces come on the scene, needs to be kept going IMO, and might get some of those old goers back for a few events too.

P :D

PS - David does need a slap biggrin.gif

Edited by paup-ine
Social source share

Thats it, we are now officially, mainstream, stuck in an advert between episodes in Corro, along with a cd of party songs, beginning to think its time to call it a day, bad enough using Don Thomas to sell a credit cards, is nothing of our small little soul world not for sale to the masses :lol:

Sorry miff, don't see anything wrong with this at all, in fact quite the opposite - if it gets any new blood into the sounds and then maybe the scene it's got to be a plus? And if it doesn't I'd still rather hear this being played from a neighbour's house (Happy Fathers Day Dad!! :lol: ) than the usual 'Jeremy Clarkson's Drive-by Shooting top 20' that's advertised around this time.

Saying that, if the missus buys this for me from the kids will I:

- Smile, thank them, give them a cuddle and have a boogie with 'em around the kitchen

- divorce her, go for custody in the hope I can educate them properly

- smother her with a pillow in her sleep

:P

Social source share

Sorry miff, don't see anything wrong with this at all, in fact quite the opposite - if it gets any new blood into the sounds and then maybe the scene it's got to be a plus? And if it doesn't I'd still rather hear this being played from a neighbour's house (Happy Fathers Day Dad!! :lol: ) than the usual 'Jeremy Clarkson's Drive-by Shooting top 20' that's advertised around this time.

Saying that, if the missus buys this for me from the kids will I:

- Smile, thank them, give them a cuddle and have a boogie with 'em around the kitchen

- divorce her, go for custody in the hope I can educate them properly

- smother her with a pillow in her sleep

:P

What a pussy you are.. Smothering is too good for her :lol:

Storm in a teacup Miff... There are millions of northern cds in HMV and petrol stations too..

Social source share

Guest miff

What a pussy you are.. Smothering is too good for her :lol:

Storm in a teacup Miff... There are millions of northern cds in HMV and petrol stations too..

Yeah I Know yes.gif I was just in a bad mood, always am when am on nights, But ive had 4 hours kip now and feel a lot better, lokking forward to my shift tonight, 48 hrs awake and 4 hrs kip, and ive only got another 2 night shifts to go, :lol: I Should be used to it by know but it still dose me in,

Oh well I wont be complaing over the weekend will I, Guess i should look at it as a training session :P:yes:

Social source share

Guest Paul

It may seem a very predictable selection for hard-core fans but it's obviously aimed at the wider public - and for them it's a great selection at a bargain price ...in fact it's a bit too cheap in my opinion.

The royalty income for individual writers, publishers and licensors will be very small because of the low dealer price and the high number of tracks but any income is welcome and the wider exposure could lead to other opportunities.

It isn't our music, it belongs to those who made it and those who own it. They are perfectly entitled to make a few quid and gain a few new fans.

I hope it does well.

Paul Mooney

Social source share

Guest stevejan

Yeah I Know :D I was just in a bad mood, always am when am on nights, But ive had 4 hours kip now and feel a lot better, lokking forward to my shift tonight, 48 hrs awake and 4 hrs kip, and ive only got another 2 night shifts to go, :lol: I Should be used to it by know but it still dose me in,

Oh well I wont be complaing over the weekend will I, Guess i should look at it as a training session laugh.gif:lol:

There you go Miff...buy the cd, 101 tracks..3 minutes apeice...they'll keep you amused at work for 5 hours 5 minutes....bargain. (and to be quite honest even though they are out and out oldies the've been compiled by someone who does know what they're on about)

Social source share

There you go Miff...buy the cd, 101 tracks..3 minutes apeice...they'll keep you amused at work for 5 hours 5 minutes....bargain. (and to be quite honest even though they are out and out oldies the've been compiled by someone who does know what they're on about)

Tricky Dicky ? as it is his voice on t'advert , is he peddling his wares ?

Malc Burton

Social source share

Guest stevejan

Tricky Dicky ? as it is his voice on t'advert , is he peddling his wares ?

Malc Burton

Malc

Have'nt seen the ad or the actual cd..whose Tricky Dicky?

Social source share

Guest stevejan

Richard Searling .

Malc Burton

Ahh....it now becomes clear....should have recognised a signature playlist when i see one....LOL

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert