Tony Drake

• Replies 18
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Hi

I've managed to pick a copy up of Tony Drake - Suddenly - Brunswick (Demo) But has anyone ever seen an issue of this tune? all i've ever seen is demo's

Thanks

Wally Francis

i've never seen one and all the ones in popsike are promos. i'm guessing one exists, but i never thought about it before I guess

Social source share

What a record.

Seem to remember reading somewhere that the song was originally intended for Jackie Wilson, who wasn't that partial to it, the backing was recorded in Chicago and Tony's vocal added in NYC at a later date.

Altho' I may be talking bol?$ there :rolleyes:

Cheers

Jim

Edited by Jim Elliott
Social source share

Guest Adrian

What a record.

Seem to remember reading somewhere that the song was originally intended for Jackie Wilson, who wasn't that partial to it, the backing was recorded in Chicago and Tony's vocal added in NYC at a later date.

Altho' I may be talking bol?$ there :rolleyes:

Cheers

Jim

Chi-lites are on backing vocals. Remember reading that Jackie Wilson was there in the studio during recording so maybe he added a couple 'Oh Agh Agh's'.

Supposedly Jackie Wilson recorded Let This Be A Letter To My Baby in the same session aswell as Lost Generation recording Sly Slick & Wicked

Probably my favorite 45, and the 1st an only time I've paid £100 for a 45!

Social source share

I remember standing behind him when he pulled that out of 'Blacknight's' sales box at Pitches.

YES I SAW IT THERE......CHEAP AS WELL. NEARLY BOUGHT IT MYSELF. BOUGHT 5 OTHERS AND RAN OUT OF COIN sad.gif

DAVE

BENTINCK BACK ROOM FRI 19TH JUNE

Edited by dave pinch
Social source share

Hi Waldo..Ive got one mate

very nice sold my demo when I picked it up..$50 buy it noo off the bay..sold the demo for £150 i think

issue was not as clean as my demo but still plays great.

still offshore mate???

im nightshift until next wednesday

aberdeen anniversary is on the 20th if your up this way.

best gasher

Hi

I've managed to pick a copy up of Tony Drake - Suddenly - Brunswick (Demo) But has anyone ever seen an issue of this tune? all i've ever seen is demo's

Thanks

Wally Francis

Edited by GASHER
Social source share

Yep, you're correct, Sean has the Australian issue - not a USA issue yes.gif

Tis true.

I have an Australian issue and so does Gareth Donovon.

Was told there's only 5 known copies but I don't know who has the other three (certainly not Tony Drake as he tried to buy mine).

I reckon you'd kill for a copy, John... 'ooh ahh' or no 'ooh ahh' biggrin.gif

:D

Sean

Social source share

Tis true.

I have an Australian issue and so does Gareth Donovon.

Was told there's only 5 known copies but I don't know who has the other three (certainly not Tony Drake as he tried to buy mine).

I reckon you'd kill for a copy, John... 'ooh ahh' or no 'ooh ahh' :D

thumbsup.gif

Sean

I'm sure we have this thread once every 6 months :lol:

Sean & Gareth unfortunately only have the 'common' Aussie copy :D

I do however have the lovely looking 'proper' USA issue copy of which I do know Mr Hinsley certainly has one too :lol:

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Guest Brett F

Hi

Thanks

Wally Francis

i got mine some years back via ebay, Tony Drake sent me a message 'THANKS FOR KEEPING THE MUSIC ALIVE'. my good mate Jamie Hartford from Leeds then sent Tony Drake an email asking your question, and got a scan of the issue.So it does exist (I SAW IT).

Brett

Ps.Sean, Gareth.you know the Aussie is a second issue......GEEZZZ.the people you meet in these chatrooms...... :rolleyes:

and hell Mr Plumb, the issue came 2nd..........I WIN ON ALL COUNTS....anyone got the test press........... :P

Edited by Brett F
Social source share

i got mine some years back via ebay, Tony Drake sent me a message 'THANKS FOR KEEPING THE MUSIC ALIVE'. my good mate Jamie Hartford from Leeds then sent Tony Drake an email asking your question, and got a scan of the issue.So it does exist (I SAW IT).

Brett

Ps.Sean, Gareth.you know the Aussie is a second issue......GEEZZZ.the people you meet in these chatrooms...... :rolleyes:

and hell Mr Plumb, the issue came 2nd..........I WIN ON ALL COUNTS....anyone got the test press........... :P

Nice one Brett :P

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert